PDA

View Full Version : More Ben News....yada, yada

Jooser
03-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Lawyers for Roethlisberger's alleged Milledgeville victim issue statement

Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2010 7:16 AM ET

During Monday's press conference regarding the status of the investigation into the latest sexual assault allegations made against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, authorities disclosed that the alleged victim has hired legal representation.

And those lawyers have now issued a statement.

Here it is, straight from the Milledgeville (Ga.) Union-Recorder: "Their daughter has done the right thing and reported this matter to the police. She has been, and will be, available to the authorities to assist them in the criminal investigation. While the matter is under investigation, we ask you to respect her privacy, keep her name out of the press and allow the family space and time to heal."

The lawyers, from the small Atlanta firm of Parks, Chesin & Walbert, also have asked that the victim's name not be released to the media, something that we will respect.

So why has the victim hired counsel? Regardless of whether criminal charges are filed, it's safe to say that a civil lawsuit is coming.

This is perhaps the only logical thing Florio has written on this case so far, OF COURSE a civil suit is coming, JEEEESH!

D Rock
03-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Ben raped me. Hopefully he's too busy with these other cases and will just pay me under the table so as to not be seen as a homosexual offender as well.

JAR
03-10-2010, 10:50 AM
This is starting to remind me of the Aruba girl case. A blond from Atlanta who would do no wrong. Well, turned out the Aruba girl was doing wrong, drinking and sleezbagging around with a group of guys. I get so tired of this self righteous crap. She was 20 and in a bar.

JAR
03-10-2010, 11:58 AM
and, just why does she need a lawyer if she has the DA representing her? This is really staring to look McNulty like.

JAR
03-10-2010, 12:03 PM
and it's a law firm that sues for damages, doesn't seek prosecution. Their website doesn't even spell harassment or severance right.

Parks, Chesin & Walbert

Topics
Parks, Chesin & Walbert
Employment Discrimination & Sexual Harrassment

Overtime & Benefits

Severence & Contract Negotiations

Civil Rights & Voting

Personal Injury & Medical Malpractice

http://www.pcwlawfirm.com/law/disc_harass.php
:wft

Jom112
03-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't think you can condemn a girl just for her choice in lawyers. She's 20 and her family is from a small town in GA. They probably just flipped thru the yellow pages, or maybe the lawyer searched her out since this news probably spread quickly in the small town.

I don't think the lawyer probably said, well you should actually use this law firm instead of ours because it will make your case more credible. The lawyer probably saw the $$$ signs and did some ambulance chasing to get her.

Just like Ben shouldn't be blamed for picking Ray Ray's lawyer to defend him in this case...

feltdizz
03-10-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't think you can condemn a girl just for her choice in lawyers. She's 20 and her family is from a small town in GA. They probably just flipped thru the yellow pages, or maybe the lawyer searched her out since this news probably spread quickly in the small town.

I don't think the lawyer probably said, well you should actually use this law firm instead of ours because it will make your case more credible. The lawyer probably saw the $$$ signs and did some ambulance chasing to get her.

Just like Ben shouldn't be blamed for picking Ray Ray's lawyer to defend him in this case...

flipped through the yellow pages.. LOL!! I bet you are right too...

Most of us think it's a money grab... but that's what skanks do right?

ghettoscott
03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
why should Ben's name be dragged through the mud and this broad gets to keep her anonymity? Sorry if this has been discussed.....

is this normal because she is the accuser?

feltdizz
03-10-2010, 12:37 PM
why should Ben's name be dragged through the mud and this broad gets to keep her anonymity? Sorry if this has been discussed.....

yep...

imagine how hard it would be for rape victims if their name was splashed across the headlines. McNulty is a nut but Steeler nuts and wacko's were calling with death threats.

phillyesq
03-10-2010, 12:40 PM
and, just why does she need a lawyer if she has the DA representing her? This is really staring to look McNulty like.

Just a minor clarification. The DA doesn't represent her -- the DA represents the state (or county, or whatever municipality they work for in Georgia). She can have two motives for retaining her own counsel:

1) She is going to pursue a civil suit and a big payday (likely); and/or

2) She saw how aggressively Ben's lawyers handled the McNulty situation, and she is afraid that the lawyer in this case will come after her for defamation of character or the like.

As an aside, her lawyers actually look somewhat competent. McNulty's lawyer was a small time ambulance chaser who thought that he could get an easy settlement from Ben. IMO, he is in way over his head.

Reading through the bios of these lawyers, they look like they will be able to go the distance in any litigation. At least one of them has taken cases to the US Supreme Court, which takes a lot of time and money. These guys have the resources and capability to fight a long battle in civil court -- IMO, McNulty's lawyer does not.

cruzer8
03-10-2010, 12:58 PM

Just a minor clarification. The DA doesn't represent her -- the DA represents the state (or county, or whatever municipality they work for in Georgia). She can have two motives for retaining her own counsel:

2) She saw how aggressively Ben's lawyers handled the McNulty situation, and she is afraid that the lawyer in this case will come after her for defamation of character or the like.

As an aside, her lawyers actually look somewhat competent. McNulty's lawyer was a small time ambulance chaser who thought that he could get an easy settlement from Ben. IMO, he is in way over his head.

Reading through the bios of these lawyers, they look like they will be able to go the distance in any litigation. At least one of them has taken cases to the US Supreme Court, which takes a lot of time and money. These guys have the resources and capability to fight a long battle in civil court -- IMO, McNulty's lawyer does not.

So she's really serious about getting the money then.

feltdizz
03-10-2010, 01:00 PM

This case screams pay day to a lawyer... I just read Ben's attorney said he will be available for questioning when they see fit and on their schedule.

if I'm Ben I pay the hush money... It's not about guilt at this point.. it's almost like the sports and entertainment world props up these guys just so the lawyers can take their money.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Do I think Ben is stupid for partying with 20 year old chicks.....yes.....major yes....but this whole thing seems shady. The girl was with him in more than one bar. I would not be surprised that the 'witnesses' she had are all her sorority sisters. The height and weight given are all from the Steelers.com roster. Seems like a good plot to get some money out of a rich football player sleezing it up in a college bar.

feltdizz
03-10-2010, 01:12 PM

hell yeah...

it's like the rappers and players who walk out their house with a retirement check around their neck. It will get snatched.

Ben has a chain around his neck that says "100 million and willing to pork girls with low or no self esteem" and she went for the gold.

I have a friend who likes gorgeous industry girls who have no self esteem but want to be "famous and rich" The girls are beautiful but full blown crazy... prone to attack when intoxicated, will spend up his money at the club and leave with another guy and talk suicide at the drop of a hat.

The McNultie chick was full blown crazy... chicks will throw themselves at Ben and he needs to find a new outlet or upgrade his choice in women.

cruzer8
03-10-2010, 01:14 PM

hell yeah...

it's like the rappers and players who walk out their house with a retirement check around their neck. It will get snatched.

Ben has a chain around his neck that says "100 million and willing to pork girls with low or no self esteem" and she went for the gold.

I have a friend who likes gorgeous industry girls who have no self esteem but want to be "famous and rich" The girls are beautiful but full blown crazy... prone to attack when intoxicated, will spend up his money at the club and leave with another guy and talk suicide at the drop of a hat.

The McNultie chick was full blown crazy... chicks will throw themselves at Ben and he needs to find a new outlet or upgrade his choice in women.

Way to keep that assumption thing going strong.

feltdizz
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Do I think Ben is stupid for partying with 20 year old chicks.....yes.....major yes....but this whole thing seems shady. The girl was with him in more than one bar. I would not be surprised that the 'witnesses' she had are all her sorority sisters. The height and weight given are all from the Steelers.com roster. Seems like a good plot to get some money out of a rich football player sleezing it up in a college bar.

It's sounds shady because it is shady... I wonder if she describes him to a T or if she was so close to Ben's description the media just put his roster measurements up. Who says a guy is 241 pounds?

If she was with him at a few bars she was drinking. It's college, these places are very liberal with the drinking restrictions. Anyone who has been to college knows it's easy to get served once inside the place.

feltdizz
03-10-2010, 01:21 PM

hell yeah...

Way to keep that assumption thing going strong.

just sticking to the facts sir...

McNulty isn't a shining beacon of self confidence.

ghettoscott
03-10-2010, 01:46 PM

yep...

imagine how hard it would be for rape victims if their name was splashed across the headlines. McNulty is a nut but Steeler nuts and wacko's were calling with death threats.

but she is not a rape victim. So far she is just someone slinging mud. I dont see why she gets to be anonymous....

feltdizz
03-10-2010, 01:59 PM

yep...

but she is not a rape victim. So far she is just someone slinging mud. I dont see why she gets to be anonymous....

I don't know what she is right now but every day women are assaulted...

if you publish their names less victims will come forward.

Are you saying there is no victim until the trial is over?

I'm not getting into rape vs. sexual assault because each state is different and I'm just talking about why neither should have their names published.

If she goes civil her name will be published and rightfully so. What exactly will her name do to help this case?

Do you want her name in the news so you can bash her? Call her up and threaten her? I don't understand why it's so important. She may be lying.. but my point is the other thousands of girls who aren't lying would be less inclined to come forward and guys would be free to assault my sister, neice, wife etc.

cruzer8
03-10-2010, 02:02 PM

McNulty is not the accuser in this case, so you aren't sticking to facts. You are making assumptions.

feltdizz
03-10-2010, 02:04 PM

McNulty is not the accuser in this case, so you aren't sticking to facts. You are making assumptions.

jeez... you really think word playing me will change history huh?

I clearly stated Ben's past transgressions that were made public was his chain/target around his neck for another girl to go for the gold.

I'm not making assumptions.. Ben boinked a crazy chick.. it is a fact.

ghettoscott
03-10-2010, 02:45 PM

yep...

I'm not getting into rape vs. sexual assault because each state is different and I'm just talking about why neither should have their names published.

If she goes civil her name will be published and rightfully so. What exactly will her name do to help this case?

Do you want her name in the news so you can bash her? Call her up and threaten her? I don't understand why it's so important. She may be lying.. but my point is the other thousands of girls who aren't lying would be less inclined to come forward and guys would be free to assault my sister, neice, wife etc.

:?

easy killer....i was just TRYING to ask why it is okay to have Ben's name out in the public and not hers.

cruzer8
03-10-2010, 03:05 PM

jeez... you really think word playing me will change history huh?

I clearly stated Ben's past transgressions that were made public was his chain/target around his neck for another girl to go for the gold.

I'm not making assumptions.. Ben boinked a crazy chick.. it is a fact.

Let this be a lesson to you kids. Never debate with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level and whoop you with experience.

Wow....

phillyesq
03-10-2010, 03:22 PM

yep...

Feltdizz, you pretty much summed-up the rationale behind not disclosing the name of victims of sexual assualt/rape, alleged or otherwise. A lot of these victims don't come forward, and it is sound public policy to encourage victims of these crimes to come forward.

I don't think that the alleged perpetrator should be named, either, but that is just me.

As for the McNulty case, I'm not sure of the exact procedural mechanisms available in Nevada, but you can generally file a case under seal. McNulty's attorney did not do so because he wanted the publicity, hoping it would force Ben into a settlement.

Shawn
03-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Cruzer for the first time in a long time...I agree with Dizz. I don't fault Ben for being stupid or irresponsible or anything of the like. I do think he is attracted to women who he feels superior to...crazy asc chicks with zero self esteem. This would also answer the question why Ben is getting hit with more of these problems. Women with low self esteem are just like Dizz describes...and I surely wouldn't put it past one of them to file a false report for quick cash.

Shawn
03-10-2010, 03:46 PM

yep...

Feltdizz, you pretty much summed-up the rationale behind not disclosing the name of victims of sexual assualt/rape, alleged or otherwise. A lot of these victims don't come forward, and it is sound public policy to encourage victims of these crimes to come forward.

I don't think that the alleged perpetrator should be named, either, but that is just me.

As for the McNulty case, I'm not sure of the exact procedural mechanisms available in Nevada, but you can generally file a case under seal. McNulty's attorney did not do so because he wanted the publicity, hoping it would force Ben into a settlement.

Agreed...alleged perp and victim should be protected unless their is a conviction.

Djfan
03-10-2010, 03:48 PM

I understand why not naming the possible victim is used. I just don't like the idea that it allows for too much protection in their court. It seems to swing the pendulum of this problem too far against the accused.

Some public accountability for the accuser will probably stem the abuse of these types of cases. That idea seems to be ignored in this debate.

birtikidis
03-10-2010, 03:51 PM
I've seen people from all walks of life totally get screwed by the media in these kinds of cases. a guy here in florida was accused of screwing a student and it was later found out that she was just ticked because she failed his class. now he can't get a job because of it. they shouldn't be allowed to post ANYONES name in these kinds of cases.

JAR
03-10-2010, 03:58 PM
I've seen people from all walks of life totally get screwed by the media in these kinds of cases. a guy here in florida was accused of screwing a student and it was later found out that she was just ticked because she failed his class. now he can't get a job because of it. they shouldn't be allowed to post ANYONES name in these kinds of cases.

The media is killing Ben. I was flying around the country yesterday and each airport I was in, Ben was all over the TVs, no matter what channel was on. I was an airport in Indiana having lunch and another customer screamed, "leave Ben alone, geesus they're killing this guy" He was wearing a Cowboys hat.

cruzer8
03-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Cruzer for the first time in a long time...I agree with Dizz. I don't fault Ben for being stupid or irresponsible or anything of the like. I do think he is attracted to women who he feels superior to...crazy asc chicks with zero self esteem. This would also answer the question why Ben is getting hit with more of these problems. Women with low self esteem are just like Dizz describes...and I surely wouldn't put it past one of them to file a false report for quick cash.

He has a $100 million contract.

So who does he not feel superior to? Oprah???

Chadman
03-10-2010, 05:43 PM
A few of you are now making the point I tried making a few days ago.

It's completely unfair that this woman (really, anyone in a situation like this) can say "Ben did this"...

Then, the media can release Ben's name...

But not hers....

As a few of you have said- there should be some protection for the accused as well, until they become CONVICTED.

Until that point, we get what we have here- a complete character assasination on Ben, who will forever be tainted with this. Another thread suggests he settles. Ok, he does that & then we will all forever believe the rich guy bought his way out of trouble. Not that he didn't do it. Let's say he goes to court & wins- then we will all believe Ben had better lawyers that got him off. Not that he didn't do it.

Ben can't win this, regardless of his guilt or innocence. His character has, forever, been tarnished.

I suggested (perhaps foolishly) a few days ago that if found not guilty, Ben should sue every media outlet that named him in this case for slander. Maybe damages would be better? Because, regardless of the outcome, for the general public, Ben is guilty.

This will effect his social life & financial options for the rest of his life.

Based on an ACCUSATION.

It stinks, and is completely unfair.

That said, if Ben is guilty, give him the whole box & dice.

skyhawk
03-11-2010, 08:52 PM
This is starting to remind me of the Aruba girl case. A blond from Atlanta who would do no wrong. Well, turned out the Aruba girl was doing wrong, drinking and sleezbagging around with a group of guys. I get so tired of this self righteous crap. She was 20 and in a bar.

Yes, JAR!

It's now the ME generation. So self righteous.

NJ-STEELER
03-11-2010, 11:08 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Two off-duty Pennsylvania law enforcement officers were with Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger at the Georgia nightclub where a woman accused him of sexual assault, and the two men didn't see anything inappropriate, an attorney for one of them said Wednesday.

Channel 11 News reporter Alan Jennings interviewed attorney Michael Santicola, who is representing Anthony Barravecchio, an officer on the force in the Pittsburgh suburb of Coraopolis.

Barravecchio and State Police Trooper Ed Joyner were among eight people with Roethlisberger celebrating his birthday at the Milledgeville, Ga., club where the alleged sexual assault took place.

Both officers are known friends of the two-time Super Bowl winner.

Sources close to the investigation told Jennings that Roethlisberger told police his accuser fell and hit her head in the club. According to the source, Roethlisberger said what occurred was consensual but it was not intercourse.

Jennings later learned that the accuser appeared to be heavily intoxicated, but Roethlisberger reportedly didn't buy or give her a single drink.

Jennings was told the woman, a 20-year-old Georgia college student, bought her own drinks and that her apparent intoxication may have caused her to fall.

According to Channel 11 sources, not a single witness said the accuser asked for help.

"Honestly, this is not lining up with someone who has been sexually assaulted," said Santicola.

Police did question Roethlisberger about the night in question last week, but never asked to talk to any member of his eight-person entourage, Jennings said.

Barravecchio's lawyer told Jennings on camera that his client told him, "I do know unequivocally that no criminal activity took place from Tony's perspective and everything else we know that absolutely these allegations are not true."

Santicola told Jennings his client has not been questioned by Georgia authorities, which is a red flag, in his opinion. If his client is asked to give a statement, he said it would be given freely.

"From a criminal defense stand point it certainly seems like a weak case to me. I do not believe this is the kind of case that would have any chance of success," Santicola said.