PDA

View Full Version : Sweed Seeking Trade/Release

calmkiller
03-09-2010, 11:44 PM
http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... ing/23226/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/limas-sweed-met-with-staff-front-office-members-this-morning/23226/)

Limas Sweed met with Staff, Front Office memeber this morning; Seeking trade or release.

Wide Receiver Limas Sweed, the Steelers 2008 2nd round pick met with members of the Steelers front office around 10:30 a.m. this morning, team sources indicate.

According to a league source, Sweed who is dealing with personal issues, is eyeing a change of scenery and his agent Ben Dogra was granted permission to explore a trade a week ago.

Dialogue between the two sides has been on-going since the scouting combine.

Mick'sTeam
03-09-2010, 11:47 PM
He's done nothing to show that he wants to play. If he wants cut, cut him. He's worthless.

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2010, 12:03 AM
He's done nothing to show that he wants to play. If he wants cut, cut him. He's worthless.

Sweed might be worth a late-round draft choice, no harm in trying.

DukieBoy
03-10-2010, 12:22 AM

I hope he disproves this opinion.

SteelCrazy
03-10-2010, 01:47 AM
I feel Sweed will be a pro bowl receiver when he gets happy...too bad that's not with us

Mick'sTeam
03-10-2010, 07:31 AM
I feel Sweed will be a pro bowl receiver when he gets happy...too bad that's not with us
And after he learns how to catch the ball

steelblood
03-10-2010, 08:35 AM
A change of scenery? Does this kid have any loyalty. This organization has stood by him, wasted a 2nd round pick on his, and now he wants traded? Does he think another organization will be more understanding?

ramblinjim
03-10-2010, 09:05 AM
there's a piece of me that says "take the 2nd Round draft pick into camp and see how he does" on this. I mean, really? Come on kid, time to man up.

Thank goodness we didn't take him in the first round, I was one of those people that could not believe we got him in the second and was thrilled for it.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Unfortunately, Sweed has no value. What a waste. I had such high hopes for the fool.

D Rock
03-10-2010, 10:22 AM
How much better can he possibly think it will be in another city? He'll walk in there being viewed by their fans as a second round head case who can't catch and flamed out after only two seasons here. If the team trades anything significant to get him then he's also got a ton of pressure on him.

Staying in Pittsburgh really is his best situation. He's so low on the depth chart and already viewed as a bust that if he makes anything at all out of himself people will be happy. Any other city and he's just seen as a throwaway player trying to salvage something from nothing.

Oviedo
03-10-2010, 10:36 AM
there's a piece of me that says "take the 2nd Round draft pick into camp and see how he does" on this. I mean, really? Come on kid, time to man up.

Thank goodness we didn't take him in the first round, I was one of those people that could not believe we got him in the second and was thrilled for it.

I would give Sweed one more camp and pre season to see if he can find what he has lost. Getting a late round pick really does nothing for you because there is a high probability that players does no better than make the practice squad.

If Sweed can slay the demons that haunt him and find his mojo he could be a huge factor to this team's success especially with Hines hanging it up most likely in the next year or two and Santonio maybe having a little weed problem.

Northern_Blitz
03-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I think this is too bad. I guess this explaines at least one of the WR singings, since the agent was given permission a week ago.

I'd rather we bring him to camp, but my guess is that he'll get released or traded for a low pick.

drprwnap
03-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Unfortunatelly, I was correct when I labeled him a BUST after the Bungles game last year. I was so hoping for him to prove me wrong. I would have enjoyed that plate of crow! :Beer

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-10-2010, 10:52 AM
BUST Here with the Steelers. I hope BUST period if we move him.

Rumor is the Falcons are interested. I think the offered the Steelers a bag of Gatorade cups and a cooler.

phillyesq
03-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I had hoped that Sweed would get one more chance. The Steelers invested a second round pick for him, and although I'm not optimistic that he will reach his potential, he still has a lot more upside than a late round pick.

Even if Sweed has a stellar camp, I'm not sure if there is room for him on the roster. With Battle and ARE in the fold, the Steelers already have 5 WRs.

At this point, I think the best you can hope for is to trade him for somebody equally disappointing on another team. Maybe trade him to the Jags for Quentin Groves. Exchange disappointments, and hope that a new system and new surroundings benefit both players.

ikestops85
03-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Keep him!! I am not a big Sweed fan but I do know he has NFL talent. He just doesn't have the ability to handle NFL pressure. That is something that can change as he matures.

He is a 2nd rounder whom at most we will get a 6th rounder for. Based on that it doesn't make sense to trade him. Give him another camp and see what he does. I don't know if we can put him on the practice squad anymore but if we can and his camp shows any improvement then stick him there. If he doesn't show improvement then release him.

I still think his upside is still worth more than a 6th rounder.

ANPSTEEL
03-10-2010, 11:40 AM
At this point, I think the best you can hope for is to trade him for somebody equally disappointing on another team. Maybe trade him to the Jags for Quentin Groves. Exchange disappointments, and hope that a new system and new surroundings benefit both players.

The year he was drafted, I was pimping Groves hard . (Not quite Oviedo & Spiller mind you.)

I was cheeesed when the Jags moved up ahead of us to grab him.

Anyway- I'd love to see that trade. I'm sure it wont happen- but would still be all for it.
(oddly, I bet both players would welcome it too.)

NW Steeler
03-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I can't see us getting anything for him, so I say keep him and see what he is made of. If he doesn't want to compete in training camp, send him packing then. Man, we don't have much luck with second round picks...other than Woodley in recent memory.

feltdizz
03-10-2010, 11:47 AM
:wft is upside? Does a FG kicker with a huge leg who misses 3 chip shot game winners have upside? Does a QB with a big arm and no accuracy at all have huge upside?

I really hope Sweed succeeds somewhere else but I think it's wrong to say a guy has upside when he keeps dropping easy TD's.

I think Sweed lowered the bar/expectations to create upside.

I have watched Nate Washington, Sweed and Wallace all get open...
Sweed showed huge downside IMO.

flippy
03-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Tell him we won't trade or release him until after camp. So have a great preseason and get us a good trade value or we'll bury you on the depth chart and hold onto you for another year and keep you out of football.

anger 82&95
03-10-2010, 09:11 PM
How much better can he possibly think it will be in another city? He'll walk in there being viewed by their fans as a second round head case who can't catch and flamed out after only two seasons here. If the team trades anything significant to get him then he's also got a ton of pressure on him.

Staying in Pittsburgh really is his best situation. He's so low on the depth chart and already viewed as a bust that if he makes anything at all out of himself people will be happy. Any other city and he's just seen as a throwaway player trying to salvage something from nothing.
A quote from his resume. "While displaying a distinct and consistent inability to make a catch during the regular season or playoffs, I occasionally make routine receptions during the all-important preseason. This coupled with my season ending mystery illness (obviously psychological in nature) would make me a tremendous asset to your team. And yes, I always display extreme loyalty to the team that pays my salary."

feltdizz
03-11-2010, 01:35 PM

Performing in Pittsburgh is way more pressure then going somewhere else...

Sweed needs to go to a new team for his own health and well being.

Northern_Blitz
03-11-2010, 03:54 PM

Performing in Pittsburgh is way more pressure then going somewhere else...

Sweed needs to go to a new team for his own health and well being.

Plus here he's competing for the 4th WR at best. He won't have many opportunities, so the pressure will be high and mistakes will be magnified. If he can go somewhere where he was higher on the depth chart, he would get more opportunities and each drop might be less important as long as you catch a reasonable amount (i.e. B. Edwards).

hawaiiansteel
03-11-2010, 04:08 PM
BUST Here with the Steelers. I hope BUST period if we move him.

Rumor is the Falcons are interested. I think the offered the Steelers a bag of Gatorade cups and a cooler.

how big is the cooler? :D

Steel Life
03-11-2010, 04:28 PM
No way do I ship him off now unless he gets us something close to a decent pick or value of the signing bonus he took. This really rubs me the wrong way, I tell my guys all the time - be professional, be loyal...& this guy wants to take the money & run despite the fact the team stood by him. He needs to man-up, rededicate himself to his profession & compete...& why can't that be done here? It's not like the team hasn't been supportive or given him chances - what can be so bad here that he can't compete for playing time? Do the other WRs call him names & make fun of him? What gives?!?

feltdizz
03-11-2010, 04:45 PM
No way do I ship him off now unless he gets us something close to a decent pick or value of the signing bonus he took. This really rubs me the wrong way, I tell my guys all the time - be professional, be loyal...& this guy wants to take the money & run despite the fact the team stood by him. He needs to man-up, rededicate himself to his profession & compete...& why can't that be done here? It's not like the team hasn't been supportive or given him chances - what can be so bad here that he can't compete for playing time? Do the other WRs call him names & make fun of him? What gives?!?

If I'm a WR behind Sweed I make fun of him EVERYDAY!!! These guys are competing for playing time to make big money...

Steel Life
03-11-2010, 05:26 PM

If I'm a WR behind Sweed I make fun of him EVERYDAY!!! These guys are competing for playing time to make big money...
True...but I'd like to see the team ask him for the signing bonus back if he's traded. And whoever suggested the Jags trade for Groves, it makes so much sense that it'll never happen unfortunately.

aggiebones
03-12-2010, 02:04 PM
I could see us getting a 4th or 5th rounder. Which is probably where he should have been drafted.
He could be a pro bowl receiver if:

-he learns how to catch with his hands and not his elbows
-learns to run good routes
-learns to play under pressure and not choke
-becomes 'happy'
-becomes a man

Good luck on this.
Stuff happens in the draft. Speed and size are RARELY good enough to play WR in the NFL. A few hand around, but none grow to pro bowl level without learning how to prepare in season and off season.

stlrz d
03-12-2010, 08:20 PM

That's what a real team player would do.

RuthlessBurgher
03-13-2010, 05:41 PM
[quote="Steel Life":6up7uhi9]No way do I ship him off now unless he gets us something close to a decent pick or value of the signing bonus he took. This really rubs me the wrong way, I tell my guys all the time - be professional, be loyal...& this guy wants to take the money & run despite the fact the team stood by him. He needs to man-up, rededicate himself to his profession & compete...& why can't that be done here? It's not like the team hasn't been supportive or given him chances - what can be so bad here that he can't compete for playing time? Do the other WRs call him names & make fun of him? What gives?!?

That's what a real team player would do.[/quote:6up7uhi9]

Why even both berating a player ahead of you on the depth chart? That takes too long. Attempted murder is much faster (remember Mitch Cozad, who wanted to be the Northern Colorado punter so badly, he stabbed starting punter Rafael Mendoza?).

feltdizz
03-13-2010, 10:54 PM
[quote="Steel Life":q6e4o6e6]No way do I ship him off now unless he gets us something close to a decent pick or value of the signing bonus he took. This really rubs me the wrong way, I tell my guys all the time - be professional, be loyal...& this guy wants to take the money & run despite the fact the team stood by him. He needs to man-up, rededicate himself to his profession & compete...& why can't that be done here? It's not like the team hasn't been supportive or given him chances - what can be so bad here that he can't compete for playing time? Do the other WRs call him names & make fun of him? What gives?!?

That's what a real team player would do.[/quote:q6e4o6e6]

Yep...

football players never make fun of each other :roll:
and it's all for the love of the game...

I bet Wallace was telling the coach to give Sweed another shot and didn't want to make the most of his chances. :roll:

stlrz d
03-14-2010, 12:51 AM
[quote="Steel Life":8go8cfny]No way do I ship him off now unless he gets us something close to a decent pick or value of the signing bonus he took. This really rubs me the wrong way, I tell my guys all the time - be professional, be loyal...& this guy wants to take the money & run despite the fact the team stood by him. He needs to man-up, rededicate himself to his profession & compete...& why can't that be done here? It's not like the team hasn't been supportive or given him chances - what can be so bad here that he can't compete for playing time? Do the other WRs call him names & make fun of him? What gives?!?

Yep...

I bet Wallace was telling the coach to give Sweed another shot and didn't want to make the most of his chances. :roll:[/quote:8go8cfny]

Your level of idiocy has reached a level that can't even be comprehended.

Here's a place where that may be appreciated: http://forums.stillers.com/

feltdizz
03-14-2010, 12:50 PM
[quote=feltdizz][quote="Steel Life":2othqo8a]No way do I ship him off now unless he gets us something close to a decent pick or value of the signing bonus he took. This really rubs me the wrong way, I tell my guys all the time - be professional, be loyal...& this guy wants to take the money & run despite the fact the team stood by him. He needs to man-up, rededicate himself to his profession & compete...& why can't that be done here? It's not like the team hasn't been supportive or given him chances - what can be so bad here that he can't compete for playing time? Do the other WRs call him names & make fun of him? What gives?!?

Yep...

I bet Wallace was telling the coach to give Sweed another shot and didn't want to make the most of his chances. :roll:[/quote:2othqo8a]

Your level of idiocy has reached a level that can't even be comprehended.

Here's a place where that may be appreciated: http://forums.stillers.com/[/quote:2othqo8a]

says the guy who spazzed out on me...

leave me alone if my "ignorance" is at a high...

you keep responding to my post for a reason :stirpot

I think you are frustrated that Sweed agrees with me. LOL. I said he wouldn't be able to overcome the drops or pressure in a Steeler uniform and I was right.

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2010, 01:59 PM
[quote="Steel Life":3ozqcvco]No way do I ship him off now unless he gets us something close to a decent pick or value of the signing bonus he took. This really rubs me the wrong way, I tell my guys all the time - be professional, be loyal...& this guy wants to take the money & run despite the fact the team stood by him. He needs to man-up, rededicate himself to his profession & compete...& why can't that be done here? It's not like the team hasn't been supportive or given him chances - what can be so bad here that he can't compete for playing time? Do the other WRs call him names & make fun of him? What gives?!?

Yep...

I bet Wallace was telling the coach to give Sweed another shot and didn't want to make the most of his chances. :roll:[/quote:3ozqcvco]

There is a distinct difference in how players might make fun of one another, though.

On one hand, there is playful ribbing among teammates, which can actually help build team chemistry, giving the locker room somewhat of a family-like feel in which teammates tend to treat each other like how brothers tend to treat one another (you may be able pick on each other a bit, but if any outsiders tried such a thing, it would be go-time with everyone banding together in defense of their brother).

On the other hand, you seem to be describing malicious psychological warfare in which you are attempting to deteriorate the self-confidence of a teammate, causing a rift in the locker room solely for your own personal benefit on the depth chart, but to the detriment of the team as a whole.

Coaches welcome the former, but I don't think they would look too kindly upon the latter behavior.

stlrz d
03-14-2010, 02:10 PM
[quote="Steel Life":1snnn8rx]No way do I ship him off now unless he gets us something close to a decent pick or value of the signing bonus he took. This really rubs me the wrong way, I tell my guys all the time - be professional, be loyal...& this guy wants to take the money & run despite the fact the team stood by him. He needs to man-up, rededicate himself to his profession & compete...& why can't that be done here? It's not like the team hasn't been supportive or given him chances - what can be so bad here that he can't compete for playing time? Do the other WRs call him names & make fun of him? What gives?!?

Yep...

I bet Wallace was telling the coach to give Sweed another shot and didn't want to make the most of his chances. :roll:

There is a distinct difference in how players might make fun of one another, though.

On one hand, there is playful ribbing among teammates, which can actually help build team chemistry, giving the locker room somewhat of a family-like feel in which teammates tend to treat each other like how brothers tend to treat one another (you may be able pick on each other a bit, but if any outsiders tried such a thing, it would be go-time with everyone banding together in defense of their brother).

On the other hand, you seem to be describing malicious psychological warfare in which you are attempting to deteriorate the self-confidence of a teammate, causing a rift in the locker room solely for your own personal benefit on the depth chart, but to the detriment of the team as a whole.

Coaches welcome the former, but I don't think they would look too kindly upon the latter behavior.[/quote:1snnn8rx]

http://www.lime-office.com.au/img/productImages/eadr/bell.jpg

feltdizz
03-14-2010, 03:30 PM
I hear you ruthless... but I think it's a little kumbaya to think these players all like each other all the time or wouldn't rib each other with some personal gain in it.

Every year guys come and go and the 1st and second rounders have it much easier than undrafted players and late rounders...

To think these guys aren't competitive or using any advantage they can get to move up the charts is
niave IMO. Off the field issues and family tragedies are when players show team support... dropping easy TD's will not get football players who are behind you on the depth chart to show team support.

If Sweed felt he had support and team chemistry he wouldn't be requesting a trade.

The first one drop you support the guy...
The second one you joke him...
The third time it's WTF...

Maybe I'm malicious like that... or maybe this is football and it's survival of the fittest. You don't see the FO waiting around for Sweed.

birtikidis
03-14-2010, 03:45 PM
maybe he's tired of running into "fans" like you who give him a hard time everywhere he goes.

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2010, 04:03 PM
I hear you ruthless... but I think it's a little kumbaya to think these players all like each other all the time or wouldn't rib each other with some personal gain in it.

Every year guys come and go and the 1st and second rounders have it much easier than undrafted players and late rounders...

To think these guys aren't competitive or using any advantage they can get to move up the charts is
niave IMO. Off the field issues and family tragedies are when players show team support... dropping easy TD's will not get football players who are behind you on the depth chart to show team support.

If Sweed felt he had support and team chemistry he wouldn't be requesting a trade.

Maybe I'm malicious like that... or maybe this is football and it's survival of the fittest. You don't see the FO waiting around for Sweed.

Oh, there are most definitely plenty of cutthroat guys who absolutely refuse to support rookies that come in because they fear that the young kid will take their job.

Bettis described this attitude when he was drafted by the Rams. The veteran RB's shunned him and would not offer him any support. He vowed never to be that way, and when he came here, he supported young guys like Willie Parker, taking him under his wing and showing him the ropes instead of telling him to screw off.

This is one of the reasons why Bettis is beloved, and Cleveland Gary is forgotten.

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2010, 05:10 PM

Oh, there are most definitely plenty of cutthroat guys who absolutely refuse to support rookies that come in because they fear that the young kid will take their job.

Bettis described this attitude when he was drafted by the Rams. The veteran RB's shunned him and would not offer him any support. He vowed never to be that way, and when he came here, he supported young guys like Willie Parker, taking him under his wing and showing him the ropes instead of telling him to screw off.

This is one of the reasons why Bettis is beloved, and Cleveland Gary is forgotten.

i wonder how beloved Bettis would be if Ben doesn't make that tackle on Harper after Bettis' fumble?

http://nbcsportsmedia3.msnbc.com/j/ap/deunad12901152217.h2.jpg