PDA

View Full Version : could Gator CB Joe Haden drop to the Steelers at #18?

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2010, 08:08 PM
sounds to me like Joe Haden Sr. shouldn't be training his son -

Joe Haden Sr.: ‘No regrets’ with his son running the 40 at the Combine

by Ben Volin/ GatorCountry

Joe Haden has had only one focus over the past 10 days — running the 40 yard dash.

“The 40 is what time it is right now. That’s the big bang for the buck, that’s what the scouts want to see,” his father, Joe Haden Sr., said Tuesday from his home in Maryland. “He’s preparing very, very hard, to put it mildly.”

That’s because Haden may have cost himself several million dollars in the NFL Draft when he clocked a disappointing 4.57 and 4.60 in 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine two weekends ago. But his father said Haden has no regrets about participating at the event and risking his draft status.

“There’s no regrets. In hindsight you could look at everything and say we could switch up, and do something different, but things happen for a reason. God doesn’t make any mistakes,” Haden Sr. said. “I think this will only enhance him, make Joe a better player, a better competitor, and a stronger person, who can deal with adversity in his life.”

Haden, a 2009 All-American at Florida, was widely projected to be the first cornerback selected in April’s NFL Draft and a likely top-10 pick before the Combine – the Cleveland Browns, picking seventh, appeared to be a good fit (and still may be). But Haden’s 4.57 was much slower than the 4.37-4.42 he had hoped to run, and he may have run himself out of the first round, costing himself millions of dollars in the process.

In 2009, the No. 7 overall pick made $23.5 million guaranteed, while the No. 15 pick made $10.435 million and the No. 32 pick $6.1 million.

“It’s going to be hard for some scouts to get that 4.57 out of their mind when they think about him being an elite player,” NFL.com’s Bucky Brooks said. “It’s rare for a team to take a guy with that kind of speed as a top 15 or top 10 pick.”

Haden Sr., a former semipro bodybuilder who has been training his son at his gym in Maryland, said his son has been dealing with a lower back sprain, and his back tightened up at the Combine, affecting his performance.

“We had stopped doing some of the heavier lifting, but it just stiffened up on him, one of those things,” Haden Sr. said. “It just really affected him. I wish I had known, because I would have had him not even work out.”

But Haden has one more chance to make things right – next Wednesday at Florida’s Pro Day at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. The Gators will hold their own Combine for the NFL scouts – 40 yard dash, bench press, cone drill and more – but Haden is only worried about one drill.

Haden’s family was pretty shocked with his 40 time, but they are confident he can improve it at Pro Day.

“For Joe, all his life, (speed) has been his biggest strength. So for something to happen like that for him, I mean, Joe ran a 4.5 40 in the ninth grade. It was just something that was a blip,” Haden Sr. said. “But I think that which doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. It is what it is, and now it’s just time for us to handle our business.”

Haden has been running the 40 every day, and while his father declined to say what his latest times are, but Haden is “back to his regular self.”

“You ask (UF strength coach) Mickey Marotti, who was one of the fastest guys, explosive and everything at Florida, and he’ll tell you, it was Joe,” Haden Sr. said. “Joe has never never never had an issue with running, with speed, with anything. We didn’t want to put a lot of stuff out in the media and make excuses. The biggest thing was just to come out and do what we do.”

Haden Sr. also said his son isn’t too worried about his draft stock, because he has proved on film that he can be an elite cornerback. Haden helped shut down some of the best receivers in the nation this year in Alabama’s Julio Jones, Georgia’s A.J. Green and LSU’s Brandon LaFell. Haden Sr. said his son has several individual workouts lined up after Pro Day with teams drafting in the top 15.

“The blessing is you look at the film, he’s locked up everybody he’s played against,” Haden Sr. said. “This will be the only time that he runs a 40 again that it matters. After that it’s going to come down to what he does on the field.”

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2010, 08:14 PM
I've seen some post-combine mocks where Haden drops down into the teens, and even saw him available when the Steelers picked at #18. I've seen others where Rolando McClain falls to us at #18. Anything is possible when draft day comes around. I never thought Roethlisberger would fall to #11. I never thought Mendenhall would fall to #23.

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2010, 08:19 PM
I've seen some post-combine mocks where Haden drops down into the teens, and even saw him available when the Steelers picked at #18. I've seen others where Rolando McClain falls to us at #18. Anything is possible when draft day comes around. I never thought Roethlisberger would fall to #11. I never thought Mendenhall would fall to #23.

now we know why Ben dropped down to #11... :stirpot

Shawn
03-09-2010, 09:11 PM
If Haden is there...it's a no brainer.

feltdizz
03-09-2010, 09:47 PM
The accuracy of the clocks at the combine have been questioned so I don't think it's as big a concern as the mocks are making it out to be.

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2010, 03:57 AM
i would love to see one of these CBs in the Black & Gold next season -

Florida's Joe Haden looks to confirm status as NFL draft's top cornerback

Clifton Brown
Monday, Mar. 1, 2010

Here's a rundown on some top prospects, all likely to be gone by the end of the second round:

Perrish Cox, Oklahoma State
What's to like: Cox can help a team immediately as an explosive returner. That skill alone should keep him from dropping lower than the second round.

What's not to like: Cox raised a red flag at the Cotton Bowl, when he was suspended for the game for missing curfew twice. And even Cox admits that his play fluctuated from game to game in college. To be a first-round pick, he needs a strong workout Tuesday and to convince teams he will not cause distractions. "He's got first-round talent, but I give him a second-round grade," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said.

Who might take him: Ravens, Packers

Joe Haden, Florida

What's to like: A tremendous athlete who is also physical, Haden is generally considered the top cornerback prospect. "I knew he had great feet and change of direction skills just seeing him on film," Mayock said. "What I really liked when I put on the tape was how physical the kid is, both in run support and tackling in the open field. He'll take on blockers."

What's not to like: There are still questions about Haden's speed. He needs a sub-4.5 40-yard dash on Tuesday to erase them. (UPDATE: Haden did not crack 4.5 in his 40-yard dash on Tuesday)

Who might take him: Browns, 49ers

Kareem Jackson, Alabama

What's to like: Jackson tackles well and his technique is sound, which should help him during Tuesday's workouts. After playing in Nick Saban's defensive system, he should be more NFL-ready than most corners. "We play the NFL-type defense," Jackson said. "It shows my mental capacity is maybe a lot stronger than some of the other players in the draft."

What's not to like: Jackson may have benefited from staying another year in school. Leaving early may make him a second-round pick rather than a first. "He (Saban) thought I should come back, but I was pretty confident in my decision and I stuck with it," Jackson said.

Who might take him: Falcons, Patriots

Jerome Murphy, South Florida

What's to like: Murphy has good size (6-1, 195) and has shown the ability to play zone, man-to-man or press coverage. He may be the most physical corner in the draft. "I came into college playing safety, so that's where I get that physical mentality from," Murphy said.

What's not to like: Murphy must prove he has the speed and agility to keep up with faster wide receivers, which is why Tuesday's workouts will be important.

Who might take him: Packers, Vikings

Devin McCourty, Rutgers

What's to like: He is probably the best special teams player among the cornerbacks, which will help him make an immediate contribution. He also knows what it takes to play in the NFL because his twin brother, Jason, plays for the Titans. "It was very beneficial just talking to (Jason) throughout the year about football and life," McCourty said.

What's not to like: He isn't considered as fast as some of the other top corners, but he could change that opinion with a quick time during the 40-yard dash. "I know I have to run fast and really excel at all the drills," he said.

Who might take him: Falcons, Jets Packers, Patriots, Ravens

Patrick Robinson, Florida State

What's to like: Robinson has excellent ball skills and can bait quarterbacks into throwing interceptions. He had an interception in five consecutive games in 2007, making quarterbacks more reluctant to throw his way.

What's not to like: He is not a physical player and sometimes allows receivers to break tackles. "The biggest question about him is his lack of consistent technique and lack of physicality," Mayock said. "He's a gifted, gifted kid, but he's not a trained killer. He will not consistently hit people."

Who might take him: Ravens, Patriots, Vikings

Kyle Wilson, Boise State

What's to like: Wilson shined during Senior Bowl week, which increased the talk that he might be a first-round pick. He is also a dangerous return man,

Some teams wonder if Wilson (5-10, 194 pounds) is big enough to hold his own against tall receivers, particularly in the red zone. "I don't think I have a lack of size," Wilson said. "I just try to be extra physical."

Who might take him: Falcons, Ravens

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Pat Kirwan thinks so -

Pat Kirwan Mock Draft 1.0
NFL.com

1. Saint Louis Rams
Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
Nothing has changed in a week in a quarterback-driven league. In fact, more people are starting to see Bradford as the top pick. It will be interesting to see if Washington, Seattle or Cleveland try to move up to get him.

2. Detroit Lions
Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
Suh can play all three downs, has the physical credentials to dominate, and recorded 63 tackles for a loss (including 23 sacks) in college. He's a mature young man who can handle the money he's about to make.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
In any other year, he's the top tackle on draft boards. McCoy is a perfect fit for Raheem Morris' defense at the "three technique."

4. Washington Redskins
Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
With Chris Samuels' retirement, the Redskins need a left tackle to line up for the next 10 years. Mike Shanahan hit a home run with Ryan Clady a few years ago in Denver and will look to do it again ... unless he moves up for Bradford.

5. Kansas City Chiefs
Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
Scott Pioli is not taking any player with issues off the field or one who is a risk to be a problem, no matter how talented he may appear to be. Bulaga fits a need with a first-round grade and is a rock-solid person.

6. Seattle Seahawks
Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
The Seahawks need a QB for the future; Pete Carroll has two first-round picks and is very familiar with Clausen. Unless they find a quarterback they love for a later round, it's now or never for finding a QB.

7. Cleveland Browns
Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
When Joe Haden ran slow at the combine, it made this decision an easy one. Berry can play all four secondary spots and some teams have him graded as a top-five pick. A 4.4 in the 40 with a 43-inch vertical and close to 11 feet in the broad jump tells you the kind of athlete Berry is.

8. Oakland Raiders
Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
Some will project Bruce Campbell here based on his combine workout, but the game tapes suggest something much different. Davis can play sooner in the NFL and is only 20 years old.

9. Buffalo Bills
Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
The Bills have lots of needs, especially at offensive tackle, but they can't really build a 3-4 defense without a nose tackle. Williams is very quick for a 327-pound guy.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars
Earl Thomas, S/CB, Texas
I don't believe signing Aaron Kampman solved their defensive end issues so they may opt to draft another one. But Thomas is a versatile defensive back that can play anywhere and the Jags have made enough mistakes at DE in recent drafts.

11. Denver Broncos
Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama
McClain can play outside as well as inside, according to Eagles personnel man Phil Savage, who watched him play every game for Alabama. Denver needs linebacker help in its 3-4 defense and the 6-foot-4, 254-pound McClain, with 40 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and five interceptions, fits for the Broncos.

12. Miami Dolphins
Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
Miami got some bad news when Jason Ferguson was suspended for eight games, not to mention he's old and coming off injury. Odrick can play anywhere up front and they could slide someone else to the nose and play him at the five technique. He has the size (6-5, 305) and the motor Bill Parcells loves.

13. San Francisco 49ers
Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma State
San Francisco needs an offensive tackle to play opposite Joe Staley if it wants to keep pounding that running game and protect Alex Smith.

14. Seattle Seahawks
C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
This year's Chris Johnson is a big play waiting to happen every time he touches the ball. Between rushing attempts, receiving and returns, Spiller will touch the ball 20 times a game. Carroll has always had a speedy playmaker in his backfield and Spiller'a 40-yard dash was clocked under 4.3 at the combine.

15. New York Giants
Sergio Kindle, LB, Texas
It's no secret the Giants need linebackers inside and out. Kindle is a guy with 57 tackles for a loss in 25 starts.

16. Tennessee Titans
Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
Kyle Vanden Bosch and Jevon Kearse are gone and the Titans are a tough defensive-minded organization. In 2009, Morgan had 12.5 sacks and 18.5 tackles for a loss.

17. San Francisco 49ers
Taylor Mays, S, USC
Some call Mays an underachiever, some call him a linebacker disguised as a safety. Mays is an imposing athlete who will bring a presence to the 49ers defense.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers
Joe Haden, CB, Florida
Haden's 40-yard dash time dropped him for the time being and a re-time may improve his stock later this spring. Right now, he falls into the lap of a team looking for a corner.

19. Atlanta Falcons
Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
The Falcons could go defensive end here and take a guy like Jason Pierre-Paul, but the kind of speed (4.3) and character Tate possesses make him very tempting.

20. Houston Texans
Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
The Texans lost Dunta Robinson in free agency and need to continue to build a secondary that faces Peyton Manning twice a year. Wilson also has return skills.

21. Cincinnati Bengals
Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech
Surprised he's in the first round after an honorable mention in last week's mock draft? Too many people have been telling me this guy, with his 19 yard-per-catch average for his career, belongs in the same class as Calvin Johnson. He's moving up draft boards.

22. New England Patriots
Brandon Graham, OLB, Michigan
Whether Bill Belichick has the Patriots in a 3-4 or a 4-3 alignment, Graham fits. He's smart, athletic and highly productive. He had 85 tackles for a loss in 28 starts.

23. Green Bay Packers
Charles Brown, OT, USC
Like many drafts in recent years, tackles tend to go at the end of the first round because teams know they will be gone by this time in Round 2. I had a scout tell me Brown compares well to the high-profile tackles earlier in Round 1. Showing up at the combine over 6-5 and 300 pounds helped his cause.

24. Philadelphia Eagles
Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
Pierre-Paul is grading out higher than this in many draft rooms but he's also a one-year wonder. He could slip on draft day after teams reconsider giving first-round money to a guy with just one season as a starter and 6.5 sacks. If he slides -- and I think he will -- the Eagles will not pass.

25. Baltimore Ravens
Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
Once the Ravens traded for WR Anquan Boldin, they turned their attention to the cornerback position. Robinson may be the best one left on the board.

26. Arizona Cardinals
Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
With the losses of Karlos Dansby and Antrel Rolle, the Cardinals have been hit hard in free agency, especially on defense. Weatherspoon is a highly-productive linebacker (400-plus tackles in college), very bright and had a tremendous performance at the combine.

27. Dallas Cowboys
Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
Everyone projects Bryant much higher than this but he has baggage and some risk. The Cowboys could want an offensive tackle like Bruce Campbell here but the athletic grade on Bryant might be too good to turn down. A year from now, the Cowboys could be done with Roy Williams.

28. San Diego Chargers
Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State
Mathews is a complete back that had 3,280 yards in college. He needs work in the passing game but he knows where the end zone is (39 touchdowns) and ran 4.41 at the combine.

29. New York Jets
Everson Griffen, DE, USC
Griffen moved off the honorable mention list and into the first round. When a defensive end measures at close to 6-4, 273 pounds and runs a 4.66 40-yard dash, he gets attention. With arms under 33 inches long, Griffen is not a perfect fit for the Jets' 3-4, but he can replace Marques Douglas, the former starter still floating around in free agency.

30. Minnesota Vikings
Brian Price, DT, UCLA
Price is the answer to an aging Pat Williams. He'd likely play in a rotation this year and take over in 2011. Price is short, quick, thick and is very disruptive.

31. Indianapolis Colts
Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida
Jeff Saturday can't play forever and this four-year starter is the long-term answer at center. In the meantime, he can play some guard and learn from one of the best in Saturday.

32. New Orleans Saints
Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
The Saints are going to have some fine football players all graded about the same to pick from at this spot. In addition to Dunlap, Jerry Hughes, Ricky Sapp, Jermaine Gresham and Mike Iupati may all be on the board. Dunlap has some off the field issues that may eliminate him, but at close to 6-6, 277 pounds, he may be the guy to replace the recently released Charles Grant.

NW Steeler
03-10-2010, 03:55 PM
If Haden is there...it's a no brainer.

Even if he is, I stick with your mock pick in the first.