PDA

View Full Version : Derek Anderson is done in Cleveland

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2010, 03:57 PM
boy, did the Browns ever mishandle this situation. if they had traded him a year or two ago, they could have had a #1 draft choice for him. oh well, that's why they are the Clowns... :brownssuck

Derek Anderson is done in Cleveland

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 9, 2010

Derek Anderon's rollercoaster career in Cleveland has come to its logical conclusion.

The Browns released Anderson Tuesday, well aware that no one wanted him via trade with a monster roster bonus due in ten days.

The Oregon State product was picked off the waiver wire in one of former G.M. Phil Savage's best moves, and made the Pro Bowl in 2007 on the strength of vertical passing and an easy schedule.

Things fell apart dramatically since, as Anderson's accuracy and decision-making were among the league's worst the last two years.

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Cardinals | Expected to have interest in Anderson

Tue, 09 Mar 2010

Adam Schefter, of ESPN, reports the Arizona Cardinals are expected to have interest in unrestricted free-agent QB Derek Anderson (Browns).

Chadman
03-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Anderson isn't that bad. It didn't help he played for such a poor team. Given the right circumstances, he could succeed.

calmkiller
03-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Bring him in for insurance if Ben gets a suspension.

Chadman
03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Bring him in for insurance if Ben gets a suspension.

Not the worst idea posted on this board, that's for sure.

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2010, 07:33 PM
I think, eventually, we may bring Byron Leftwich back. The Bucs haven't had to cut him yet, because he did not accrue enough playing time to trigger his $3.5 million roster bonus. But why would they pay a $2 million salary to Leftwich this season if they are happy with Josh Freeman as their starter, Josh Johnson as their backup, and Rudy Carpenter as their #3 QB? Sure, they are all young, but what point is there to keeping around a veteran QB who is not your future if you are a young team in rebuilding mode? I say that Leftwich gets cut eventually this offseason (even if it is not until late summer), and we could bring him in again.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Bring him in...2 year deal. Battle it out with Batch. Better than Batch. Younger than Batch. Will come cheap. Will push Dixon and take over #2 this year once he learns offense. Insurance for Ben. The best part....He will reestablish himself here...We could trade him next year if needed. This would be a smart move for this organization.

Oviedo
03-10-2010, 09:45 AM
I think, eventually, we may bring Byron Leftwich back. The Bucs haven't had to cut him yet, because he did not accrue enough playing time to trigger his $3.5 million roster bonus. But why would they pay a $2 million salary to Leftwich this season if they are happy with Josh Freeman as their starter, Josh Johnson as their backup, and Rudy Carpenter as their #3 QB? Sure, they are all young, but what point is there to keeping around a veteran QB who is not your future if you are a young team in rebuilding mode? I say that Leftwich gets cut eventually this offseason (even if it is not until late summer), and we could bring him in again.

I would love to get Leftwich back as insurance and move Batch onto the coaching staffor into the front office in a role in community relations.

I would not hesitate to offer the Bucs a 5th or 6th round pick for Leftwich given the predicament that Ben has put himself and the team in.

SteelAbility
03-10-2010, 01:05 PM
I remember, back in the Trib Board days, someone posted a rant by some chest-thumping Browns fan about how "Ben couldn't hold DA's jock" or something like that. Funny stuff. Now that being said, I do agree that bringing in DA as backup ain't a bad idea. :wink:

hawaiiansteel
03-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Sources: Browns may now deal Quinn

By Adam Schefter
ESPN

A Tough Town For QBs

One day after the Cleveland Browns released quarterback Derek Anderson, there is mounting evidence around the league that quarterback Brady Quinn could be next.

Cleveland has offered Quinn to other teams, league sources said Wednesday. Not only are the Browns looking into trading Quinn, but they also are investigating other quarterback options as well.

The Browns are exploring the acquisition of another quarterback through trade, free agency or the draft, according to multiple league sources. These talks come at a time when Cleveland already has added former Seattle backup Seneca Wallace.

Should one of these scenarios for another quarterback work out as expected, then Cleveland would have a surplus of quarterbacks, including Wallace and Brett Ratliff. That would leave little room for Quinn, a former first-round draft pick out of Notre Dame who has struggled to succeed in Cleveland.