PDA

View Full Version : prediction

StarSpangledSteeler
03-08-2010, 10:38 PM
i believe the steelers will be looking to trade up; not necessarily in round 1 but definitely in rounds 2 (or possibly 3).

with all of these free agent signings we seem to be covering our depth issues nicely. i believe this will lead to us targeting specific legitimate starters in the draft. especially since we are probably looking at ten picks and a roster that is filling up quickly.

initially i thought we might be tempted to go after haden but i believe he will run faster in his pro day and stay in the top 10 (making him a bit too expensive). however i predict we will trade up to draft three players in the first two rounds, making it a very tough year to mock.

i believe the steelers will wait for a great value to drop in the first round (much like mendy) and are open to many positions as it stands now.

i also believe they will be targeting a particular CENTER and trade up for him (not hope that he falls like the Mack, Wood, Olsen debacle last year).

time to re-do those mocks.

Oviedo
03-08-2010, 11:06 PM
You could be on to something. It seems like the Steelers are bring in vets to fill or compete for positions. They may be looking to package picks to move up big in Round 1.

Who they may be targeting may depend on whether we get Bodden. If we get him I would have to say they want DL or LB.

hawaiiansteel
03-08-2010, 11:12 PM
i believe the steelers will be looking to trade up; not necessarily in round 1 but definitely in rounds 2 (or possibly 3).

with all of these free agent signings we seem to be covering our depth issues nicely. i believe this will lead to us targeting specific legitimate starters in the draft. especially since we are probably looking at ten picks and a roster that is filling up quickly.

initially i thought we might be tempted to go after haden but i believe he will run faster in his pro day and stay in the top 10 (making him a bit too expensive). however i predict we will trade up to draft three players in the first two rounds, making it a very tough year to mock.

i believe the steelers will wait for a great value to drop in the first round (much like mendy) and are open to many positions as it stands now.

i also believe they will be targeting a particular CENTER and trade up for him (not hope that he falls like the Mack, Wood, Olsen debacle last year).

why is it everytime someone mentions "trading up" the name "Ricardo Colclough" comes to mind? on the other hand, "Troy Polamalu" didn't turn out too badly, huh?

papillon
03-09-2010, 12:00 AM
I don't believe any of these signings will change the Steelers draft strategy this year. Allen, Battle and El are temporary Steelers one or two years tops, they will still need to get younger on defense and failing to do that because of these signings will not make for a happy future, IMO.

Pappy

Shawn
03-09-2010, 01:55 AM
I really don't see the Steelers trading up in the first unless Haden or McClain fall past 10. I think this is more a move to be free to take bpa.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-09-2010, 01:59 AM
I don't believe any of these signings will change the Steelers draft strategy this year. Allen, Battle and El are temporary Steelers one or two years tops, they will still need to get younger on defense and failing to do that because of these signings will not make for a happy future, IMO.

Pappy

let me ask you this... do you really think we're going to draft ten (10) players? considering the fact that we usually bring in one or two UDFA's as well (who actually make the team), how many roster spots do you think we realistically have open? i think the fact that we are signing a number of free agents has a great deal to do with the type of players we draft, especially considering we already filled a lot of those youth depth needs last year (Hood, Wallace, Urbik, Lewis, Burnett, Summers, Harris, Shipley) who all look like they're sticking around? i think it's much more likely we go after 3-4 legit starters based on our last draft and this year's free agent signings.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-09-2010, 02:02 AM
I really don't see the Steelers trading up in the first unless Haden or McClain fall past 10. I think this is more a move to be free to take bpa.

i agree. i would see a trade up scenario(s) much more likely from round 2 into the bottom half of round 1 (or) round 3 into round 2.

SS Laser
03-09-2010, 02:07 AM
Here is a trade down idea. Don't like it but figured someone here might like to read it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3587 ... day-trades (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/358713-ideal-2010-nfl-draft-day-trades)

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2010, 02:55 AM
Here is a trade down idea. Don't like it but figured someone here might like to read it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3587 ... day-trades (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/358713-ideal-2010-nfl-draft-day-trades)

thanks for posting this trade down idea, i actually like it and would be more than willing to make this trade with the Packers and pick up an extra 3rd round draft choice.

only thing is for me, i wouldn't draft Maurkice Pouncey. I would prefer LB Sean Weatherspoon, DE Jared Odrick, NT Dan Williams or CBs Kyle Wilson and Patrick Robinson with Green Bay's pick.

Green Bay and Pittsburgh

Ted Thompson prefers to build through the draft and Packers fans seem divided on their level of satisfaction of the job he’s done in Green Bay.

Outside of Green Bay, though, the former Seahawks executive is held in pretty high regarded as a talented GM.

Thompson has mostly stuck with a “Best Player Available” strategy in the draft but he might consider trading down to get his guy considering how well it worked out last year.

He sent three picks (No. 41, 73 & 83) to the New England Patriots for two picks (No. 26 & 162).

Green Bay ended up selecting Clay Matthews III 26th overall, and the USC alum went on to accumulate 51 tackles and 10 sacks—good for a Pro Bowl appearance after Bears linebacker Lance Briggs pulled out.

He challenged former Trojans teammate and linebacker Brian Cushing for the defensive rookie of the year award—coming up just short. However, he will terrorize the NFC North for the foreseeable future.

Despite the presence of the reigning AP 2010 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, Charles Woodson, in their secondary, his age (turns 34 shortly after the season begins) and defensive back teammates should be a concern. The team hopes to see what they have in last year’s No. 9 overall pick out of Boston College, defensive tackle B.J. Raji.

Thompson’s focus this year could be on a special player who not only would improve a weak, aging offensive line but also seems to be a natural fit for Lambeau Field. That prospect is Idaho Vandals Guard, Mike Iupati.

The towering (6’5” – 325 pounds) long-haired American Somoa native already possess—even by NFL standards—elite strength and quickness. If aggressiveness was a measureable trait he might be tops in the 2010 draft class. What’s even scarier about Iupati is the fact he hasn’t even scratched the surface of his potential since he’s only played football for a handful of years after being spotted by an Idaho assistant coach at a barbecue in 2005.

A recent Sports Illustrated article claimed Iupati is the best Guard prospect since Steve Hutchinson. Thompson and his staff were one of many personnel departments amazed by his performance during the week of the 2009 Senior Bowl.

Pittsburgh just so happens to be the team most mock drafts have predicted Iupati ends up being selected by.

However, they have more needs than fans outside of Pittsburgh may notice. Steelers General Manager and Football Operations Director Kevin Colbert is one of the best in the business at identifying and accumulating talent.

The “Deal”: Pittsburgh would acquire extra draft picks for moving back five spots from No. 18 to the Packers pick at No. 23 overall. On the points-based Trade Value Chart that’s a difference of 140 points (18th – 900 points and 23rd – 760 points) Packers brass would need to account for.

Green Bay’s third-round pick (89th overall) is worth 155 points on the TVC, which might be enough for Colbert to pull the trigger, especially if the Steelers War Room consensus is that there’s no discernable difference between Iupati and Florida Gators All-American center, Maurkice Pouncey.

The 2009 Rimington Trophy Award-winner could play Guard before holding down his normal position for the next 10 years in Pittsburgh. He’s extremely quick and powerful to go with his fantastic character and IQ. Pouncey fits the type of tough, rugged linemen Steelers fans are accustomed to.

Oviedo
03-09-2010, 08:29 AM

thanks for posting this trade down idea, i actually like it and would be more than willing to make this trade with the Packers and pick up an extra 3rd round draft choice.

only thing is for me, i wouldn't draft Maurkice Pouncey. I would prefer LB Sean Weatherspoon, DE Jared Odrick, NT Dan Williams or CBs Kyle Wilson and Patrick Robinson with Green Bay's pick.

Green Bay and Pittsburgh

Ted Thompson prefers to build through the draft and Packers fans seem divided on their level of satisfaction of the job he’s done in Green Bay.

Outside of Green Bay, though, the former Seahawks executive is held in pretty high regarded as a talented GM.

Thompson has mostly stuck with a “Best Player Available” strategy in the draft but he might consider trading down to get his guy considering how well it worked out last year.

He sent three picks (No. 41, 73 & 83) to the New England Patriots for two picks (No. 26 & 162).

Green Bay ended up selecting Clay Matthews III 26th overall, and the USC alum went on to accumulate 51 tackles and 10 sacks—good for a Pro Bowl appearance after Bears linebacker Lance Briggs pulled out.

He challenged former Trojans teammate and linebacker Brian Cushing for the defensive rookie of the year award—coming up just short. However, he will terrorize the NFC North for the foreseeable future.

Despite the presence of the reigning AP 2010 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, Charles Woodson, in their secondary, his age (turns 34 shortly after the season begins) and defensive back teammates should be a concern. The team hopes to see what they have in last year’s No. 9 overall pick out of Boston College, defensive tackle B.J. Raji.

Thompson’s focus this year could be on a special player who not only would improve a weak, aging offensive line but also seems to be a natural fit for Lambeau Field. That prospect is Idaho Vandals Guard, Mike Iupati.

The towering (6’5” – 325 pounds) long-haired American Somoa native already possess—even by NFL standards—elite strength and quickness. If aggressiveness was a measureable trait he might be tops in the 2010 draft class. What’s even scarier about Iupati is the fact he hasn’t even scratched the surface of his potential since he’s only played football for a handful of years after being spotted by an Idaho assistant coach at a barbecue in 2005.

A recent Sports Illustrated article claimed Iupati is the best Guard prospect since Steve Hutchinson. Thompson and his staff were one of many personnel departments amazed by his performance during the week of the 2009 Senior Bowl.

Pittsburgh just so happens to be the team most mock drafts have predicted Iupati ends up being selected by.

However, they have more needs than fans outside of Pittsburgh may notice. Steelers General Manager and Football Operations Director Kevin Colbert is one of the best in the business at identifying and accumulating talent.

The “Deal”: Pittsburgh would acquire extra draft picks for moving back five spots from No. 18 to the Packers pick at No. 23 overall. On the points-based Trade Value Chart that’s a difference of 140 points (18th – 900 points and 23rd – 760 points) Packers brass would need to account for.

Green Bay’s third-round pick (89th overall) is worth 155 points on the TVC, which might be enough for Colbert to pull the trigger, especially if the Steelers War Room consensus is that there’s no discernable difference between Iupati and Florida Gators All-American center, Maurkice Pouncey.

The 2009 Rimington Trophy Award-winner could play Guard before holding down his normal position for the next 10 years in Pittsburgh. He’s extremely quick and powerful to go with his fantastic character and IQ. Pouncey fits the type of tough, rugged linemen Steelers fans are accustomed to.

I would be horribly upset if we trade down and get Pouncey.

RuthlessBurgher
03-09-2010, 04:19 PM

I think the team is satisfied enough with Hartwig enough for the time being (they gave him an extension last year) even if we, as fans, feel that the center position can be improved. With Pouncey as a late first or early second round prospect, and with us picking in the middle of each round this year, I think we wait until next year to pick up our center of the future with a late first round pick (hopefully), grabbing USC's Kris O'Dowd or PSU's Stefan Wisniewski (unless of course, he falls into striking distance for us in round 2...then all bets are off).

For what it's worth, Eric Olsen (Notre Dame) is a mid-round center prospect in this year's draft. I think you meant to say the Mack, Wood, Unger debacle instead of the Mack, Wood, Olsen debacle (referring to Oregon's Max Unger, who we apparently tried to trade up for in round 2 last year before Seattle nabbed him).