PDA

View Full Version : Either Ward or Holmes maybe out next year.

Steelhere10
03-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Just speculation , but with the two wr signings maybe they are preparing for Ward to retire or not resigning Holmes. What do you guys think?

hawaiiansteel
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Just speculation , but with the two wr signings maybe they are preparing for Ward to retire or not resigning Holmes. What do you guys think?

i think the Steelers are considering releasing Limas Sweed.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Gotta re-sign Holmes unless they figure he will be way out of their price range. I would figure that it is Hines that will be gone after this season because 2011, by most accounts, will be a lockout season. Could be 86 last year in a Steelers uniform so we better enjoy.

Shawn
03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
I think the Steelers are putting pressure on Sweed. This will be his last camp if he doesn't show great improvement.

calmkiller
03-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Yea I agree its for Sweed. And they both are agreeing to 3 year contracts. Battle and El. So if this is Hines' last season then they have stop gaps in place for the next two years.

SteelerNation1
03-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Cripes...if Nate Burlson is worth 5 yrs, 25 million, WF is Holmes worth? 6 years 50 million????

D Rock
03-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Cripes...if Nate Burlson is worth 5 yrs, 25 million, WF is Holmes worth? 6 years 50 million????

Nate Burleson isn't worth 5 yrs/25 million. He may have gotten that, but he isn't worth it.

williar
03-08-2010, 10:33 PM
If they are looking at Randle EL as a future replacement for Holmes or Ward, then we are in trouble.

Chadman
03-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Possibly both options.

Ward is what- 34 this year?

And Sweed needs to step up quickly.

If Chadman were a gambling man...oh wait, Chadman IS a gambling man...he'd say Ward retires next season, and Sweed is about 5% chance of making it through Training Camp.

Could Hines be setting up a Jerome Bettis style 'this is my last year' rallying cry to his team in Training Camp?

BATMAN
03-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Would so many teams offer Ward such a high dollar ? I know we love him and teams respect his intensity but at his age, teams would rather get him as a deal.

I have a feeling that Holmes is going to get mega cash from a team that will probably pay record breaking dollars. Not that he is Jerry Rice in the prime , and he is one of the better receivers but, some team is just going to have to have him at any cost. I'll compare the deal like the Titans getting Yancey Thigpen. Holmes is better, doesn't get hurt like Yancey and will at least payoff more than Yancey did for the Titans.

If Holmes does go, Ward will still be on the team to groom the younger receivers.

steelblood
03-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Neither of our signings are starters. El is a slot guy at best. Battle is a depth receiver capable of spot starts. I would not have signed both. I would have left a spot open to draft a guy this season in the middle rounds and hope to groom him into Ward's replacement as I don't see Wallace developing into the possession type/over-the-middle #2 receiver that Ward is.

aggiebones
03-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Ward has been grooming Holmes before he leaves, while also trying to get the younger WRs to a teachable level for Holmes. Holmes is going nowhere, but threats will be made and negotiations will be tough. In the end he will sign.
BUT remember that the salary cap will look radically different when its time for his contract. He will not get anywhere near Burleson money, which if its backloaded, Nate won't see either. He'll get signing bonus money and the small bit for this season, then be cut after the uncapped year if things go the owners way or if there's a lock out.

The 2 new WRs are nothing more than 2 year players competing for the WR3/4 spot with Wallace/Sweed. And yes, if we have a season the following year, 1 of these 4 guys will fill Ward's spot.
They are also insurance in case Ward's knee doesn't hold up for all 16 games.

plainnasty
03-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I don't think that the Steelers consider Randle El and Battle anything accept depth and special teams.