PDA

View Full Version : Police to address Roethlisberger allegations today 4PM

kindlecatsb'ng
03-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Police to address Roethlisberger allegations today
Monday, March 08, 2010
By Dan Majors, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. -- Authorities have called a press conference for 4 p.m. today to address their investigation into sexual assault allegations against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Meanwhile, Mr. Roethlisberger has hired an attorney who worked on a previous criminal case involving a high-profile football player.

Milledgeville Police and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation have been looking into a report by a 20-year-old student at Georgia College & State University that Mr. Roethlisberger assaulted her early Friday at a nightclub.

Milledgeville Police Chief Woodrow Blue is scheduled to address reporters.

Mr. Roethlisberger has now retained Atlanta criminal defense attorney Edward T. M. Garland and Donald F. Samuel to represent him. Mr. Garland represented Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, who was accused in 2000 of a double murder in Atlanta. Mr. Lewis pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice and testified against two co-defendants who were later acquitted.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league has no comment on the case but is following developments.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/10067/1041137 ... z0hcMQx6FM (http://postgazette.com/pg/10067/1041137-66.stm#ixzz0hcMQx6FM)

Northern_Blitz
03-08-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't like the sound of this. I don't think you call a presser to say that nothing happened and no charges will be laid.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this will be bad news.

------

Glad to be wrong. Looks like there was no reason for the PC.

Lebsteel
03-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't like the sound of this. I don't think you call a presser to say that nothing happened and no charges will be laid.

Maybe it will be Tebow at #18!! :shock:

Jom112
03-08-2010, 04:37 PM
I don't think you call a presser to say that nothing happened and no charges will be laid.

They do with high profile cases like this. Sometimes they just say after investigating the complaint they don't have enough evidence so they will not be pressing charges.

I forget who that occurred for in the past, but I know it's happened (Or I could just be mis-remembering)...

cruzer8
03-08-2010, 04:39 PM

It's big news. There will be a presser no matter what.

Jom112
03-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Comment from Art Rooney II:

"All of us in the Steelers family are concerned about the recent incident involving Ben Roethlisberger in Georgia," Rooney said. "We cannot comment on any of the specifics until law enforcement's investigation is concluded. Certainly, we will continue to closely monitor the situation."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... situation/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/08/art-rooney-ii-addresses-roethlisberger-situation/)

pfelix73
03-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Nothing new as of today. Process of the investigation will continue... Big deal. Why have a PC?

Jooser
03-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I'd say they just wanted to let all the press know there's no new news currently in hopes they get some relief from the constant questions....maybe???

They did say they're going to interview Ben again in a few days.

feltdizz
03-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Nothing new as of today. Process of the investigation will continue... Big deal. Why have a PC?
Ratings...

That's why it's frustrating... we also have to consider the local politics involved. What if the locals are tired of the underage drinking and public intoxication. DA's can drag these things along because it's a chance for national exposure.

Jooser
03-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Ha!, a reporter asked Chief Blue if the (under drinking aged) female accuser had in fact been given an alcohol test at the hospital and he said he had no idea! What a joke.

hawaiiansteel
03-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Roethlisberger to speak with police again soon

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 8, 2010

Milledgeville Police Chief Woodrow Blue anticipates interviewing Ben Roethlisberger in the next 2-3 days as the police continue to gather information about sexual assault allegations made by a local woman.

He plans to speak with all the individuals with the Steelers quarterback on the night in question and expects to interview eight people this week.

Special Agent Tom Davis of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said authorities would be reviewing videos from the nightclubs Roethlisberger visited.

We could tell you more, but our video team just sent us all the footage. Note that Blue kept up the local streak of mispronouncing Big Ben's name; Blue said Rothenberger, the last dude said Roethlisenberger.

They should know the name by heart soon enough.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-08-2010, 11:01 PM
It just blows me away that in just a few days we might have a scenario like this:

1) Charges filed >> Ben indicted.
2) Ben out of football indefinitely.

NFL/Goodell has done this before (Vick, others) - once indicted they are out until trial is over.

I hope this thing he's charged with never did happen, and the DA doesn't indict. It all comes down to the next 3 or 4 days, near as I can tell.