PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have reached agreement with former Bills tackle

costanza2k1
03-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Article Tools

Steelers intend to sign two today
Monday, March 08, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers are giving physicals to San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Arnaz Battle and Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety Will Allen and intend to reach contract agreement with both players today.

Also, the Steelers have reached agreement with former Buffalo Bills tackle Jon Scott (6-foot-6, 318), an unrestricted free agent who started eight games for the Bills in 2009. Scott will be reunited with the Steelers' new offensive line coach, Sean Kugler, who coached in Buffalo last season.

Allen, 27, would be a likely replacement for Ryan Clark, an unrestricted free agent who is meeting today with the Miami Dolphins.

A former special teams captain for the Buccaneers, Allen played in only eight games last season after being placed on injured reserve with a thumb injury. He was a fourth-round draft choice out of Ohio State in 2004 who has four interceptions in 84 career games.

Battle, 30, had 178 catches for 2,150 yards and 11 touchdowns in seven seasons with the 49ers. Like Allen, he is considered a special-teams standout.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/10 ... z0hcFmD96N (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/1041133-100.stm#ixzz0hcFmD96N)

ANPSTEEL
03-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Article Tools

Monday, March 08, 2010
The Steelers are giving physicals to San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Arnaz Battle and Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety Will Allen and intend to reach contract agreement with both players today.

Also, the Steelers have reached agreement with former Buffalo Bills tackle Jon Scott (6-foot-6, 318), an unrestricted free agent who started eight games for the Bills in 2009. Scott will be reunited with the Steelers' new offensive line coach, Sean Kugler, who coached in Buffalo last season.

Allen, 27, would be a likely replacement for Ryan Clark, an unrestricted free agent who is meeting today with the Miami Dolphins.

A former special teams captain for the Buccaneers, Allen played in only eight games last season after being placed on injured reserve with a thumb injury. He was a fourth-round draft choice out of Ohio State in 2004 who has four interceptions in 84 career games.

Battle, 30, had 178 catches for 2,150 yards and 11 touchdowns in seven seasons with the 49ers. Like Allen, he is considered a special-teams standout.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/10 ... z0hcFmD96N (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/1041133-100.stm#ixzz0hcFmD96N)

:shock:

:wft

The Steelers signing 3 players in the first few days of FA???

total chaos. cats and dogs living together.

Anyway- this makes me wonder.

If the Steelers really are loading up on depth at some of these key positions... maybe they are planing to try to move up on the draft to get someone they think is an impact player.

hmmmmm

Oviedo
03-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Let's read between the lines. They goot a potential starting FS or at least a veteran to compete. They are close to signing a OT with starters experience who provides at a minimum depth on the OL.

Guess what two positions we won't be drafting in Round 1. Is that the sound of bubbles bursting I hear :stirpot

Dee Dub
03-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Article Tools

Monday, March 08, 2010

If the Steelers really are loading up on depth at some of these key positions... maybe they are planing to try to move up on the draft to get someone they think is an impact player.

hmmmmm

Well there is a top notch ILB who actually played in a very complexed 3-4 in college. :wink:

ANPSTEEL
03-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Let's read between the lines. They goot a potential starting FS or at least a veteran to compete. They are close to signing a OT with starters experience who provides at a minimum depth on the OL.

Guess what two positions we won't be drafting in Round 1. Is that the sound of bubbles bursting I hear :stirpot

yeah, it really makes me think a couple scenarios

Take OT & FS off the board in the 1st (I really didn't think they'd go FS anyway.)
I still believe K. Lewis is their intended starter at FS- if not this season then next.

A. Dan Williams if he is there- maybe even move up a few.

But more than NT, they need a corner. I can not see Haden droping that far- so they'd have to move up to get him.

You know Jacksonville is going to be trying to trade down, but even with the combine- I don't think Haden lasts until #10.

hmmmm

something is brewing.

ANPSTEEL
03-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Article Tools

Monday, March 08, 2010

hmmmmm

Well there is a top notch ILB who actually played in a very complexed 3-4 in college. :wink:

yeah, i thought about that. McClain will probably be within reach.

I just cant get past the glaring issue at Corner though.

Not that I'd have a problem taking McClain.

ikestops85
03-08-2010, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't read too much into the signing of Allen. He will just be the replacement of Carter. We still need a starter at that position.

Oviedo
03-08-2010, 04:16 PM

Take OT & FS off the board in the 1st (I really didn't think they'd go FS anyway.)
I still believe K. Lewis is their intended starter at FS- if not this season then next.

But more than NT, they need a corner. I can not see Haden droping that far- so they'd have to move up to get him.

You know Jacksonville is going to be trying to trade down, but even with the combine- I don't think Haden lasts until #10.

hmmmm

something is brewing.

What's brewing my friend is CJ Spiller :stirpot

Seriously, I think this means we go LB or DL and I'm serious that if Spiller is sitting there (highly unlikely) they don't pass on him.

Lebsteel
03-08-2010, 04:23 PM

hmmmm

something is brewing.

Seriously, I think this means we go LB or DL and I'm serious that if Spiller is sitting there (highly unlikely) they don't pass on him.
I'm thinking it is looking like Spoon or Odrick, I don't think we would grab Williams in the first.

cruzer8
03-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't read too much into the signing of Allen. He will just be the replacement of Carter. We still need a starter at that position.

Word.

pfelix73
03-08-2010, 04:39 PM
An offensive player like a RB in round 1 is totally out of the question, IMO. The defense needs to get younger and a top flight CB is what this team needs desperately. We need more play-makers on the D. McClain or Haden- either one would suit me fine and 1 of them could fall to 18. Haden is a distinct possibility.
:tt1

hawaiiansteel
03-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Tony Hills, I would start working out a little harder if I were you...

Steelers | J. Scott agrees to terms

Mon, 08 Mar 2010

Gerry Dulac, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have agreed to terms with unrestricted free-agent OT Jonathan Scott (Bills). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

ANPSTEEL
03-08-2010, 04:42 PM

hmmmm

something is brewing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you absolutely got me on with that one.

:Bow

In a 3-4 ranking the most difficult starting positions to fill...

NT (it all starts right there- two gap responsibility- hold the point-etc)
CB (cover and play strong run support)
OLB (challenge converting college 4-3 DE)
Buck (due to coverage responsibilities)
DE (gap responsibility take on blockers collapse the pocket.)

I lump these three kind of together-
Mack
SS
FS
each of these positions can be filled later in the draft with players that can not quite make it at there designated positions.

eg...
FS- frequently corners without the speed
SS- FS without the speed... maybe linebackers that are fast enough but too small.
Mack- Slower linebackers

of course, these are just my opinions, and could be completely off base. :shock:

With this in mind though, I really think they are looking at the following.

3 guys they might consider trading up for:

Williams
McClain
Haden if he slides

a few guys they might trade down for
Odrick
Pouncey
McCourty
Davis

A lot of people here are big on Weatherspoon- which I get. He seems like he is going to be an excellent player at the next level. What I dont get- is he and Timmons are very similar players. Not sure he fits a need at this time.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Maybe Koogs can convince Richie Incognito to come compete for the C spot against Hartwig. I would have to imagine he would be an upgrade. Plus I like nasty OL who aren't afraid to "walk right on the line". Koogs would have to be confident that is where he could keep him. Although, playing for the Steelers versus being stuck with the Rams has to be good for one's demeanor!

steelblood
03-08-2010, 04:52 PM

If you think Will Allen is going to keep us from drafting a good FS in round one, I think you overestimating Will Allen. This guy is here to replace carter and help on special teams. He can be effective as an emergency starter/stop gap guy. He is not the answer. That said, there are some good FS prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Jonathan Scott is also probably no more than depth and camp competition.

calmkiller
03-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Consider also that Adam....whatever is projecting that we receive 3 comp picks. 2 5th rounds and one 7th round. So if he is accurate in his prediction this year we have 3 extra picks. We can move up to grab a player we want and still have a number of picks at our disposal.

Oviedo
03-08-2010, 05:06 PM

If you think Will Allen is going to keep us from drafting a good FS in round one, I think you overestimating Will Allen. This guy is here to replace carter and help on special teams. He can be effective as an emergency starter/stop gap guy. He is not the answer. That said, there are some good FS prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Jonathan Scott is also probably no more than depth and camp competition.

I completely agree that there are lots of good DBs we can get in Rounds 2+. That is why I specifically constrained my comments to Round 1.

I have no doubt we will get DBs (probably 2) or OL (probably 1) in this draft. Just a matter of when. I think they are trying to give themselves the most freedom they can I Round 1 and therefore we must ask what would they be open to.

steelerkeylargo
03-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Jon Scott was once a pretty good OT prospect for Texas.....but dropped off Senior year....much like Tony Hills. He prob will take Hills roster spot....backup only.

papillon
03-08-2010, 05:41 PM

The Steelers like value and Earl Thomas provides it at 1.18, from what I hear he can play FS, SS and CB. If that's the case he will not be passed up by the Steelers. They like value and versatility and he would provide both.

In all seriousness Spiller would provide value but not versatility, in that he can play many positions, he is, however, a versatile back. I believe that if Thomas and Spiller are there at 1.18 the Steelers take Thomas.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
03-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Jon Scott was once a pretty good OT prospect for Texas.....but dropped off Senior year....much like Tony Hills. He prob will take Hills roster spot....backup only.

if nothing else, i feel much better now knowing that Tony Hills may never actually have to play in a real game in case of an injury to one of our starting OTs.

Chadman
03-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Hasn't Jon Scott played OG as well?

Is he a chance to play RG seeing as how he knows what Kugler will demand of him?

Smart buys today from the Steelers, depth is now covered, possibly 2 starters (Scott at RG & Will Allen at FS) & the freedom on Draft Day to go out & get an impact player or two.

NW Steeler
03-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Put me in with those that think this doesn't change our draft strategy at all. These are moves for depth. Talk of Earl Thomas reminds me of the versatility that Carnell Lake had, although he played LB at UCLA, didn't he?

SteelCzar76
03-08-2010, 08:06 PM
I view these recent signings from the perspective of the team adding more "Mewelde Moore type" journeyman depth. And i like others do not believe that it impacts our prior/current Draft needs in any significant fashion.

Does it mean Iupati, Haden, Wilson or even a surprise pick like MCcourtey are out of consideration ?,.. no. Does it mean Mays, Thomas or Odrick are out ?,,.. no.

But i will say that for those of you whom believe the pick will be and or would like for it to be a LB such as MCclain or Weatherspoon,.....you may very well be dissapointed. Why,...we already have a guy on the roster that is a better LB than Timmons in Fox,....and yet Tomlin refuses to allow him to start. ( Even to the reported chagrin of the Defensive coaching staff)

What makes anyone believe that he'd (Tomlin) go along with Drafting a backer that he could not justify keeping off of the field as a starter in place of Timmons ? There could be no more excuses (For him or Timmons) to do so if one of those guys where to come in and outperform Timmons in every sense,.. every time they stepped on the field at practice/camps right before everyone's very eyes.

As i said before,.. i'm no longer giving Tomlin the "business" for his views on personnel, (Can't do anything about it)... but,..i will keep it real.

NW Steeler
03-08-2010, 08:13 PM
What makes you say that Fox is better than Timmons? I find it hard to believe that Tomlin wouldn't start the better player, no matter who he drafted. He signed Fox as a FA as well, so what is the difference? By that definition, they are both his "boys".

Oviedo
03-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Consider also that Adam....whatever is projecting that we receive 3 comp picks. 2 5th rounds and one 7th round. So if he is accurate in his prediction this year we have 3 extra picks. We can move up to grab a player we want and still have a number of picks at our disposal.

With the signings of Allen, Battle and Scott I think we will have Comp Picks taken away from us. We will not get 3 now.

SteelCzar76
03-09-2010, 12:22 AM
What makes you say that Fox is better than Timmons?

Aside from actually being an ILB NW,.. he's (Fox) more disciplined, more intelligent, stronger than and more physical than Timmons.

stlrz d
03-09-2010, 12:28 AM
What makes you say that Fox is better than Timmons? I find it hard to believe that Tomlin wouldn't start the better player, no matter who he drafted. He signed Fox as a FA as well, so what is the difference? By that definition, they are both his "boys".

czar has an issue with Timmons and no matter what Timmons does it will never be good enough.

I'm starting to think he's Timmons' daddy and living vicariously through him...so unless Timmons is perfect it's just not good enough.

SteelCzar76
03-09-2010, 12:39 AM
[quote="NW Steeler":tusbhp5t]What makes you say that Fox is better than Timmons? I find it hard to believe that Tomlin wouldn't start the better player, no matter who he drafted. He signed Fox as a FA as well, so what is the difference? By that definition, they are both his "boys".

czar has an issue with Timmons and no matter what Timmons does it will never be good enough.

I'm starting to think he's Timmons' daddy and living vicariously through him...so unless Timmons is perfect it's just not good enough.[/quote:tusbhp5t]

I think you mean to say that Tomlin looks at him as a father attempting to live through him. :lol:
It's not personal for me at all,.....i simply abhor the foolishness of wasting 1st rnd draft selections of an organization that i would like to see remain strong because of one man's (Tomlin) desire to do as much. (Live vicariously through a player and or put their success before that of the Franchise because of some great PERSONAL affinity)

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2010, 12:53 AM

With the signings of Allen, Battle and Scott I think we will have Comp Picks taken away from us. We will not get 3 now.

what's up O?

these signings will not factor into this year's compensatory picks, but will rather be factored into next year's calculations. with these signings it looks like we won't be getting any comp picks next year.

but this year, we should be getting two 5ths and a 7th or a 5th, 6th and a 7th...

stlrz d
03-09-2010, 12:58 AM
[quote="NW Steeler":2mlou8hs]What makes you say that Fox is better than Timmons? I find it hard to believe that Tomlin wouldn't start the better player, no matter who he drafted. He signed Fox as a FA as well, so what is the difference? By that definition, they are both his "boys".

I'm starting to think he's Timmons' daddy and living vicariously through him...so unless Timmons is perfect it's just not good enough.

I think you mean to say that Tomlin looks at him as a father attempting to live through him. :lol:
It's not personal for me at all,.....i simply abhor the foolishness of wasting 1st rnd draft selections of an organization that i would like to see remain strong because of one man's (Tomlin) desire to do as much. (Live vicariously through a player and or put their success before that of the Franchise because of some great PERSONAL affinity)[/quote:2mlou8hs]

No. I meant what I posted.

And if you think Tomlin is the guy who drafted him then you're even more of a fool than you appear to be.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-09-2010, 01:32 AM
Trade down to the mid to low 20's and draft Brandon Graham. Pick up additional 2nd or 3rd round pick in process (not sure what value 18 would have if you trade down to say 25 or 26 or something).

Shawn
03-09-2010, 01:51 AM

hmmmm

something is brewing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you absolutely got me on with that one.

:Bow

In a 3-4 ranking the most difficult starting positions to fill...

NT (it all starts right there- two gap responsibility- hold the point-etc)
CB (cover and play strong run support)
OLB (challenge converting college 4-3 DE)
Buck (due to coverage responsibilities)
DE (gap responsibility take on blockers collapse the pocket.)

I lump these three kind of together-
Mack
SS
FS
each of these positions can be filled later in the draft with players that can not quite make it at there designated positions.

eg...
FS- frequently corners without the speed
SS- FS without the speed... maybe linebackers that are fast enough but too small.
Mack- Slower linebackers

of course, these are just my opinions, and could be completely off base. :shock:

With this in mind though, I really think they are looking at the following.

3 guys they might consider trading up for:

Williams
McClain
Haden if he slides

a few guys they might trade down for
Odrick
Pouncey
McCourty
Davis

A lot of people here are big on Weatherspoon- which I get. He seems like he is going to be an excellent player at the next level. What I dont get- is he and Timmons are very similar players. Not sure he fits a need at this time.

I think this will be the new thing we see from the Steelers. Having 2 ILbs that can cover would be a headache for any offensive coordinator. It allows you alot of flexibility and you can keep your standard 3-4 on the field for a larger percentage of the game.

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Trade down to the mid to low 20's and draft Brandon Graham. Pick up additional 2nd or 3rd round pick in process (not sure what value 18 would have if you trade down to say 25 or 26 or something).

if we traded down from our current spot of #18 in the first round to either #25 or #26 we would pick up an extra 3rd and 4th round draft choice...

a move that i would gladly make and something the Steelers would seriously consider unless they are just absolutely in love with a player still available when it's our turn to select at #18.

Shawn
03-09-2010, 02:00 AM
[quote="NW Steeler":2o2jsxeq]What makes you say that Fox is better than Timmons? I find it hard to believe that Tomlin wouldn't start the better player, no matter who he drafted. He signed Fox as a FA as well, so what is the difference? By that definition, they are both his "boys".

I'm starting to think he's Timmons' daddy and living vicariously through him...so unless Timmons is perfect it's just not good enough.[/quote:2o2jsxeq]

I really like Timmons but I will give czar this...Fox is darn good.

SteelCzar76
03-09-2010, 02:27 AM
[quote="stlrz d":1p720yua][quote="NW Steeler":1p720yua]What makes you say that Fox is better than Timmons? I find it hard to believe that Tomlin wouldn't start the better player, no matter who he drafted. He signed Fox as a FA as well, so what is the difference? By that definition, they are both his "boys".

It's not personal for me at all,.....i simply abhor the foolishness of wasting 1st rnd draft selections of an organization that i would like to see remain strong because of one man's (Tomlin) desire to do as much. (Live vicariously through a player and or put their success before that of the Franchise because of some great PERSONAL affinity)[/quote:1p720yua]

And if you think Tomlin is the guy who drafted him then you're even more of a fool than you appear to be.[/quote:1p720yua]

It appears that It's difficult for you to be objective when this is indeed such a personal matter for you huh sweetheart ? :lol: If you do not believe that Timmons being drafted had Tomlin written all over it,.. even in the face of all logic and evidence to the contrary,..that is your deal.

But miss me with the internet tough guy sh@t,.....it's unbecoming as i am CERTAIN of the fact that you would not do so in my actual presence. :lol:

That being said,...let's agree to disagree and keep it moving like men because i'm not going to play "grab azz" with you any longer dude. And that's real,...

stlrz d
03-09-2010, 08:33 AM
[quote="stlrz d":r4rf2vw8][quote="NW Steeler":r4rf2vw8]What makes you say that Fox is better than Timmons? I find it hard to believe that Tomlin wouldn't start the better player, no matter who he drafted. He signed Fox as a FA as well, so what is the difference? By that definition, they are both his "boys".

It's not personal for me at all,.....i simply abhor the foolishness of wasting 1st rnd draft selections of an organization that i would like to see remain strong because of one man's (Tomlin) desire to do as much. (Live vicariously through a player and or put their success before that of the Franchise because of some great PERSONAL affinity)

And if you think Tomlin is the guy who drafted him then you're even more of a fool than you appear to be.[/quote:r4rf2vw8]

It appears that It's difficult for you to be objective when this is indeed such a personal matter for you huh sweetheart ? :lol: If you do not believe that Timmons being drafted had Tomlin written all over it,.. even in the face of all logic and evidence to the contrary,..that is your deal.

But miss me with the internet tough guy sh@t,.....it's unbecoming as i am CERTAIN of the fact that you would not do so in my actual presence. :lol:

That being said,...let's agree to disagree and keep it moving like men because i'm not going to play "grab azz" with you any longer dude. And that's real,...[/quote:r4rf2vw8]

Oh I'd say it to your face...there's no doubt about that.

Again, Tomlin was hired and two months later he is the guy who decides who they take with their first pick? Not likely.

calmkiller
03-09-2010, 10:16 AM

No. These picks are based on last year. We lost 3 and signed no one with the same value. What we do in Free Agency now will have no effect on our Comp picks this year. It will effect next year. We will receive 0 next year.

Chadman
03-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Given all the signings the Steelers made, Chadman gets the sneaky suspicion that this one, Jon Scott, might just end up being the best aquisition of the lot..

phillyesq
03-09-2010, 11:13 AM

No. These picks are based on last year. We lost 3 and signed no one with the same value. What we do in Free Agency now will have no effect on our Comp picks this year. It will effect next year. We will receive 0 next year.

Correct.

NW Steeler
03-09-2010, 11:22 AM
[quote="stlrz d":116ku08v][quote="NW Steeler":116ku08v]What makes you say that Fox is better than Timmons? I find it hard to believe that Tomlin wouldn't start the better player, no matter who he drafted. He signed Fox as a FA as well, so what is the difference? By that definition, they are both his "boys".

And if you think Tomlin is the guy who drafted him then you're even more of a fool than you appear to be.[/quote:116ku08v]

That being said,...let's agree to disagree and keep it moving like men because i'm not going to play "grab azz" with you any longer dude. And that's real,...[/quote:116ku08v]

The year that Timmons was drafted, LB was a huge need for the Steelers. Porter was gone, and Haggans needed replaced. The Steelers were going to draft LB's high that year. Timmons was rated in the top 2-3 LB's that year from my recollection. I think Timmons was originally drafted to play in Porter's spot, but Harrison ended up being the real deal. Woodely turned out to be a steal in the draft and needed to be on the field. So, to get the 3 best LB's on the field, Timmons was moved inside, albeit slightly out of position (to take full advantage of his skillset). I see nothing wrong with this logic. If anything, you should be screaming for Fox taking an ILB spot and Farrior sitting down.

Steelerphile
03-09-2010, 11:27 AM
[quote="stlrz d":2iq4e6ba][quote="NW Steeler":2iq4e6ba]What makes you say that Fox is better than Timmons? I find it hard to believe that Tomlin wouldn't start the better player, no matter who he drafted. He signed Fox as a FA as well, so what is the difference? By that definition, they are both his "boys".

And if you think Tomlin is the guy who drafted him then you're even more of a fool than you appear to be.[/quote:2iq4e6ba]

That being said,...let's agree to disagree and keep it moving like men because i'm not going to play "grab azz" with you any longer dude. And that's real,...[/quote:2iq4e6ba]

Steeler Czar will never be convinced on Timmons but he actually had a good season in '09. Timmons was hampered throughout the season by a badly sprained ankle but still managed to record 78 tkls, 7 sacks and 4 passes defensed and 4 forced fumbles. He also had 14 QB pressures which is one of the highest numbers for any player.

Keyaron is nice addition and solid player, but he clearly does not have the athleticism of Timmons. Fox has been in he league 6 years and has one QB sack and 2 passes defensed in that entire time.

Timmons still has room to grow as a player, but he is hardly playing over Fox just because he is Tomlin's boy as Czar always suggests. We''l just have to agree to disagree, but we don't have to be mad.

steeler_george
03-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Given all the signings the Steelers made, Chadman gets the sneaky suspicion that this one, Jon Scott, might just end up being the best aquisition of the lot..

I am glad we finally got Carter off the roster with Allen, re-signed Clark ( I had feeling that he was going no where), and depth at WR and Special Teams.

But I agree, I have a feeling this is going to be a key signing. Only if we had more info on this cat, can he play Guard or Center? In the games he played, how did he fair?

Scott (6 feet 6, 318 pounds), who started two games at right tackle and six games at left tackle for the Bills last season, will visit Steelers offices today and is expected to sign a multiyear contract, a move that will reunite him with Sean Kugler, his position coach in Buffalo.

A former fifth-round draft choice of the Detroit Lions in 2006, Scott was a restricted free agent who did not receive a contract tender from the Bills, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10068/10 ... z0hhPuqnWR (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10068/1041218-66.stm#ixzz0hhPuqnWR)

ikestops85
03-09-2010, 01:46 PM
I view these recent signings from the perspective of the team adding more "Mewelde Moore type" journeyman depth. And i like others do not believe that it impacts our prior/current Draft needs in any significant fashion.

I must say Czar you certainly leave no doubt what your opinion is ... and that's the fun with a message board. I agree with you that the recent signings are more from a depth perspective. I disagree that Moore is a journeyman type player. He has only been with the Vikings and he has come through very well when given the chance to start. His play in 2008 was instrumental in us getting to and winning the SB.

Does it mean Iupati, Haden, Wilson or even a surprise pick like MCcourtey are out of consideration ?,.. no. Does it mean Mays, Thomas or Odrick are out ?,,.. no.

I agree 100%. These signings just mean we have no outstanding need so we can select the BPA with #18 or trade down.

But i will say that for those of you whom believe the pick will be and or would like for it to be a LB such as MCclain or Weatherspoon,.....you may very well be dissapointed. Why,...we already have a guy on the roster that is a better LB than Timmons in Fox,....and yet Tomlin refuses to allow him to start. ( Even to the reported chagrin of the Defensive coaching staff)

How do you know this? Are you in team meetings or something like that? Those are some bold statements unless you have some inside info.

What makes anyone believe that he'd (Tomlin) go along with Drafting a backer that he could not justify keeping off of the field as a starter in place of Timmons ? There could be no more excuses (For him or Timmons) to do so if one of those guys where to come in and outperform Timmons in every sense,.. every time they stepped on the field at practice/camps right before everyone's very eyes.

What evidence do you have that Tomlin has this special relationship with Timmons? Colbert has made all the draft picks since Cowher left. I don't think Tomlin even had mcuh input into the first draaft he was a part of. I'm sure his imput has increased since then but that first year it was minimal.

I do agree with you that Fox is an excellent player. When he is on the field things tend to happen. I expect to see Fox get more playing time this year but not for Timmons ... for Farrior. Timmons is a good linebacker who will only get better.

steelernation77
03-09-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't really see how signing this guy changes anything regarding the draft. Colon is still on a one-year tender and this guy seems like a back-up. We could still draft an OT in the first if the player is a good value.

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2010, 03:29 PM

as much as i would love to believe this to be true, the evidence so far doesn't support it.

Jon Scott was a 5th round draft choice coming out of college.

the Bills who are in dire need of good OL don't even extend a tender to Scott? what does that tell you?

having said that, i hope i'm wrong...something that i have been once or maybe twice before in my life. :D

Chadman
03-09-2010, 05:59 PM

as much as i would love to believe this to be true, the evidence so far doesn't support it.

the Bills who are in dire need of good OL don't even extend a tender to Scott? what does that tell you?

having said that, i hope i'm wrong...something that i have been once or maybe twice before in my life. :D

And yet the former Bills OL coach likes him enough to bring him over? Not saying it's set in stone, but Chadman just has a hunch Scott might start at RG...

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2010, 06:10 PM

And yet the former Bills OL coach likes him enough to bring him over? Not saying it's set in stone, but Chadman just has a hunch Scott might start at RG...

i'm all for replacing Essex, however this article only mentions that Scott can play LT and RT (which is still a good thing).

Steelers sign Buffalo offensive tackle Scott

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Steelers signed unrestricted free-agent tackle Jonathan Scott to a multiyear contract, agent Jordan Woy confirmed today.

Scott (6-foot-6, 318 pounds) is versatile enough to play left and right tackle. A fifth-round draft pick in 2006, he started eight games with Buffalo in 2009.

Scott will be reunited with new offensive line coach Sean Kugler, who coached him for two seasons in Buffalo.

Chadman
03-09-2010, 06:18 PM

i'm all for replacing Essex, however this article only mentions that Scott can play LT and RT (which is still a good thing).

Steelers sign Buffalo offensive tackle Scott

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Steelers signed unrestricted free-agent tackle Jonathan Scott to a multiyear contract, agent Jordan Woy confirmed today.

Scott (6-foot-6, 318 pounds) is versatile enough to play left and right tackle. A fifth-round draft pick in 2006, he started eight games with Buffalo in 2009.

Scott will be reunited with new offensive line coach Sean Kugler, who coached him for two seasons in Buffalo.

True enough, but Trai Essex was strictly a LT or RT before last season too.

RuthlessBurgher
03-10-2010, 11:27 AM

Compare the contracts of the guys that we signed, though:

Ryan Clark: 4 years, $14 million
Antwaan Randle El: 3 years, $7 million
Will Allen: 3 years, $4.4 million
Arnaz Battle: 3 years, $3.9 million
Jonathan Scott: 1 year, $545,000

Scott is the only one who signed a one year deal, and it appears to be a veteran minimum deal. The other 4 guys signed multi-year pacts, with Clark getting $3.5 million per year to be a starter, Randle El is getting more than $2 million per year, and Allen and Battle getting more than a million annual salary as well. Just on the basis of those numbers, I doubt that Scott has the biggest impact.

Oviedo
03-10-2010, 11:31 AM

Compare the contracts of the guys that we signed, though:

Ryan Clark: 4 years, $14 million
Antwaan Randle El: 3 years, $7 million
Will Allen: 3 years, $4.4 million
Arnaz Battle: 3 years, $3.9 million
Jonathan Scott: 1 year, $545,000

Scott is the only one who signed a one year deal, and it appears to be a veteran minimum deal. The other 4 guys signed multi-year pacts, with Clark getting $3.5 million per year to be a starter, Randle El is getting more than $2 million per year, and Allen and Battle getting more than a million annual salary as well. Just on the basis of those numbers, I doubt that Scott has the biggest impact.

Could be Kugler sold him on the opportunity that he would have here to compete for a position and earn a contract. I think it says alot when a player follows a coach or a coach recruits a player. Something could be there.

I may also say that Kugler has an idea of what he wants to do and Tony Hills can't do that.