PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interested in bringing Foote back

costanza2k1
03-08-2010, 03:41 PM
The Steelers are interested in bringing back one of their former players -- inside linebacker Larry Foote -- to improve their depth and create some flexibility at the linebacker position, the Post-Gazette has learned.

However, the Steelers are waiting to see if Foote, who is an unrestricted free agent after playing one with the Detroit Lions, is willing to return.

Foote, 29, is scheduled to meet today with the Washington Redskins, where former Steelers defensive assistant Lou Spanos is the new linebackers coach; and later this week with the Arizona Cardinals, where he would be reunited with former Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

Foote asked to be released by the Steelers after the 2008 Super Bowl season because he didn't want to be a backup to Lawrence Timmons.

But the Steelers are willing to take him back because he would give them some veteran depth on the roster in the event of injury, even at outside linebacker. If LaMarr Woodley or James Harrison were injured, Timmons would move to the outside and Foote could take his old spot alongside James Farrior in the middle.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/10 ... z0hcFMp1tT (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/1041149-100.stm#ixzz0hcFMp1tT)

ANPSTEEL
03-08-2010, 03:44 PM
The Steelers are interested in bringing back one of their former players -- inside linebacker Larry Foote -- to improve their depth and create some flexibility at the linebacker position, the Post-Gazette has learned.

However, the Steelers are waiting to see if Foote, who is an unrestricted free agent after playing one with the Detroit Lions, is willing to return.

Foote, 29, is scheduled to meet today with the Washington Redskins, where former Steelers defensive assistant Lou Spanos is the new linebackers coach; and later this week with the Arizona Cardinals, where he would be reunited with former Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

Foote asked to be released by the Steelers after the 2008 Super Bowl season because he didn't want to be a backup to Lawrence Timmons.

But the Steelers are willing to take him back because he would give them some veteran depth on the roster in the event of injury, even at outside linebacker. If LaMarr Woodley or James Harrison were injured, Timmons would move to the outside and Foote could take his old spot alongside James Farrior in the middle.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/10 ... z0hcFMp1tT (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10067/1041149-100.stm#ixzz0hcFMp1tT)

That would be a tough pill for him to swallow- but it would be a solid move for the team if he did re-sign.

MaxAMillion
03-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I would like to bring Foote back if possible. He is solid against the run and allows Timmons to go back to being a nickel linebacker.

cruzer8
03-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Interesting. Foote back in his old role, Timmons over to Farrior's spot and Farrior as depth?

Shawn
03-08-2010, 03:48 PM
I like the move if he is willing to sit the bench and take vet minimum. That would give us very nice depth at the LB position.

SteelerNation1
03-08-2010, 03:49 PM
I like the move if he is willing to sit the bench and take vet minimum. That would give us very nice depth at the LB position.
Me too Shawn. Timmons is the starter now.

Oviedo
03-08-2010, 03:50 PM
I would like to bring Foote back if possible. He is solid against the run and allows Timmons to go back to being a nickel linebacker.

Why would I want the LB who last season was 5th in total tackles, 3rd in Sacks and 2nd in Forced Fumbles off the field for a slug like Foote. No way would I want to see Foote on the field again for the Steelers.

Our defensive collapse last season was a problem with pass defense of which Foote is a huge liability. We had no problem defending the run.

Some of the crazy stuff I read here is just crazy.

ikestops85
03-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Why would I want the LB who last season was 5th in total tackles, 3rd in Sacks and 2nd in Forced Fumbles off the field for a slug like Foote. No way would I want to see Foote on the field again for the Steelers.

Our defensive collapse last season was a problem with pass defense of which Foote is a huge liability. We had no problem defending the run.

Hence the term "crazy stuff". :moon

:lol: :lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Seeing how Farrior closed out the year...I would say the combination of Timmons & Foote would be an upgrade. Farrior could step back into the rotation and save himself for the end of the year into the playoffs.

MaxAMillion
03-08-2010, 05:00 PM

We will chalk it up to a difference of opinion. And I can admit that without insulting you. I remember seeing the Steelers strugle to stop the Browns and Ravens running the football at the end of the year. I think Foote plays the run better than Timmons. I would welcome him back. Obviously you would not (hence your description of Foote as a slug).

We will see if the run defense is top flight this year with Timmons at ILB. My prediction is that it will not be. It won't all be his fault, but I don't think Timmons has the instincts for ILB. He seems to get blocked to easily on running plays.

BURGH86STEEL
03-08-2010, 05:09 PM
It would be nice if they can resign Foote to add some depth.

Oviedo
03-08-2010, 05:10 PM

We will chalk it up to a difference of opinion. And I can admit that without insulting you. I remember seeing the Steelers strugle to stop the Browns and Ravens running the football at the end of the year. I think Foote plays the run better than Timmons. I would welcome him back. Obviously you would not (hence your description of Foote as a slug).

We will see if the run defense is top flight this year with Timmons at ILB. My prediction is that it will not be. It won't all be his fault, but I don't think Timmons has the instincts for ILB. He seems to get blocked to easily on running plays.

Are you aware Timmons played in less games and had more tackles than Woodley? Woodley is being touted as a future All Pro, but Timmons is lacking????????

Timmons weak against the run is a myth! We can disagree as you said. BTW the facts are Timmons had 78 totals tackles in 2009. That is 15 more than Foote had 2008 (63) and only 3 less than Foote had in 2007 (81) Factor in that Timmons missed 3 games in 2009 and I don't see where Foote adds anything.

I would never take Timmons off the field when on any play he can make a game changing play with a sack, forced fumble or INT for Foote.

calmkiller
03-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I would like to see Foote back. Regardless of what Oviedo says. Foote and Timmons is an upgrade over Timmons and Farrior.

Chadman
03-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Bloody Hell...the list keeps growing!

Bring back Joey!

Bring back Larry!

:D

Oviedo
03-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Bring back Joey!

Bring back Larry!

If we are looking at washed up LBs lets look at some who were actually good once, e.g. Lloyd, Gildon

hawaiiansteel
03-08-2010, 06:31 PM

Bring back Joey!

Bring back Larry!

If we are looking at washed up LBs lets look at some who were actually good once, e.g. Lloyd, Gildon

now that Foote is older, does that mean he would be even slower than he was the last time he played for us?

SteelCzar76
03-08-2010, 06:37 PM

Bring back Joey!

Bring back Larry!

Or perhaps maybe even a "never will be" like Timmons while we're at it,...Huey Richardson ! :tt1 :lol: :lol:

flippy
03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Larry was one of my favorites. He was a little small/slow but overcame his limitations with hard work and incredible instincts.

I'd love to see him comeback as a backup. He could also help Timmons/Fox with their development.

steelz09
03-08-2010, 09:35 PM

Timmons is an ILB. He is suppose to have more tackles than OLB's and usually by a large margin.

Are you aware Timmons played in less games and had more tackles than Woodley? Woodley is being touted as a future All Pro, but Timmons is lacking????????

Timmons weak against the run is a myth! We can disagree as you said. BTW the facts are Timmons had 78 totals tackles in 2009. That is 15 more than Foote had 2008 (63) and only 3 less than Foote had in 2007 (81) Factor in that Timmons missed 3 games in 2009 and I don't see where Foote adds anything.

I would never take Timmons off the field when on any play he can make a game changing play with a sack, forced fumble or INT for Foote.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-08-2010, 09:51 PM

--------------

Ovi-

i have to agree with you on that one. Our problem is not defending the power run up the middle. It's the cutback/sweeps where quickness and sideline to sideline pursuit is involved. The bigger issue though is the passing game. If you want a recipe on how to beat the steelers it's: short passes/crossing routes that force our LB's to cover. That is the reason we released Foote in the first place and that still hasn't changed. I can see how he would be considered a solid back up b/c he knows the system but i don't want him on the field.

Shawn
03-08-2010, 09:58 PM

Hence the reason Weatherspoon is a strong possibility in the first.

--------------

Ovi-

i have to agree with you on that one. Our problem is not defending the power run up the middle. It's the cutback/sweeps where quickness and sideline to sideline pursuit is involved. The bigger issue though is the passing game. If you want a recipe on how to beat the steelers it's: short passes/crossing routes that force our LB's to cover. That is the reason we released Foote in the first place and that still hasn't changed. I can see how he would be considered a solid back up b/c he knows the system but i don't want him on the field.

Herewegosteelers!
03-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I don't know how things will play out with Foote, but I think it is time for Farrior to be a back-up. He was a very good starter for many years, but he's lost more than a step now.

Chadman
03-08-2010, 11:16 PM
If Foote is brought in to split time with Farrior- can't see the problem. Farrior has what? 1 good year left? Maybe not even that.

It just means the Steelers can have healthy, fresh bodies at all times.

Shoe
03-09-2010, 12:28 AM

Forgive me, but I probably side with the professional franchise who has seen this player on a daily basis over several years, who is in the business of identifying/targetting it's own team needs, and who has all the inside knowledge, over your opinion.

What happened to all the Foote helping his hometown talk though?

Oviedo
03-09-2010, 05:22 PM

Forgive me, but I probably side with the professional franchise who has seen this player on a daily basis over several years, who is in the business of identifying/targetting it's own team needs, and who has all the inside knowledge, over your opinion.

They found out that not being surrounded by Steelers talent he is a very average player.

hawaiiansteel
03-09-2010, 05:41 PM

They found out that not being surrounded by Steelers talent he is a very average player.

you can go ahead and cross Foote off the Steelers' shopping list, those are some very unrealistic contract expectations if you ask me.

NFL | Foote looking for contact similar to Fujita's

Tue, 09 Mar 2010

Jason La Canfora, of the NFL Network, reports unrestricted free-agent LB Larry Foote (Lions) is looking for a deal that exceeds what Cleveland Browns LB Scott Fujita received, according to a source. Fujita received a three-year deal worth $14 million with $8 million guaranteed.

Oviedo
03-09-2010, 06:29 PM

you can go ahead and cross Foote off the Steelers' shopping list, those are some very unrealistic contract expectations if you ask me.

NFL | Foote looking for contact similar to Fujita's

Tue, 09 Mar 2010

Jason La Canfora, of the NFL Network, reports unrestricted free-agent LB Larry Foote (Lions) is looking for a deal that exceeds what Cleveland Browns LB Scott Fujita received, according to a source. Fujita received a three-year deal worth $14 million with $8 million guaranteed.

No loss. People in hell want ice water too. Fujita is a starter quality player. Foote isn't, especially on the Steelers. He can replace Dansby in AZ.