PDA

View Full Version : Ben Hires Ray Ray's Lawyer

Jooser
03-08-2010, 09:10 AM
...just when we thought it couldn't get any worse! Get ready folks, looks like charges MAY be coming this time....

Per PFT:

Roethlisberger hires lawyer who defended Ray Lewis

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2010 7:28 AM ET
More than a decade ago, Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis was accused or murder in Georgia. He hired Ed Garland to handle the case. Eventually, the worst of the charges against Lewis were dropped, and he pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice.

Now, Garland will be asked to help another high-profile NFL player.

Per a league source, Garland has been hired to represent the interests of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the sexual assault investigation that is still unfolding in Milledgeville, Georgia. Roethlisberger has not yet been charged.

Roethlisberger was interviewed at the scene by authorities, and he was then told that he was free to leave. He returned to Pittsburgh on Friday. Authorities have said that he could be interviewed again.

Even though no charges have been filed, there surely has been plenty of work to do for Garland and other lawyers who represent Roethlisberger. They have interviewed all of the key witnesses, and they most likely have been in close communication with authorities.

Their initial goal will be to persuade investigators that charges should not be filed. In matters of this nature, that's the best possible outcome that can be achieved.

JAR
03-08-2010, 09:19 AM
PFT? Seriously...................

feltdizz
03-08-2010, 10:18 AM
AFC North..

Home of the gangsters, drunks and innocent until proven guilty.

steelerkeylargo
03-08-2010, 12:24 PM
UGH!

feltdizz
03-08-2010, 12:35 PM
If Ben hired Ray Rays lawyer it's definitely a cause for concern.

This means the case has legs.

steelsnis
03-08-2010, 12:43 PM
It does not.

You would expect him to request a public defender for something like this? Of course not. He's got the means, so he's gonna get the best possible legal team to fight it. Doesn't mean anything more than that.

cruzer8
03-08-2010, 01:10 PM
It does not.

You would expect him to request a public defender for something like this? Of course not. He's got the means, so he's gonna get the best possible legal team to fight it. Doesn't mean anything more than that.

It does in the court of assumption. Just ask chief justice feltdizz.

phillyesq
03-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Smart move by Ben. His other lawyer may be great, but especially in Georgia, you want the most local guy you can get. Getting somebody that knows the Georgia scene is very important. Having had the misfortune of appearing in a few Texas cases, I can tell you that "Yankee" lawyers aren't always particularly well received in the south. Even in Pennsylvania, judges in the outlying counties will often favor local attorneys over Philadelphia lawyers.

Local judges like to look out for their own. This guy isn't quite a local, but he is close, and he seems to be a powerful defense attorney in the area. You want to squash this as quickly as possible. Juries are a nightmare, completely unpredictable. The best case scenario for Ben is if this lawyer can prevent charges from being filed.

:2c

ANPSTEEL
03-08-2010, 01:27 PM
...The best case scenario for Ben is if this lawyer can prevent charges from being filed.

= monetary settlement

Sugar
03-08-2010, 01:28 PM
:Agree

This is not a job for someone who doesn't know their stuff. It seems most people think that attorneys are attorneys. Thats like saying football players are football players. In the same way that a QB is different from a FS, a Defense Attorney is different from the guy that does your business contracts.

IMO, It's a good idea to have someone on your team that is not only more regionally respected but also knows how to deal in a celebrity case.

JAR
03-08-2010, 01:29 PM
OK, other sources are claiming this too. But why do the chicken littles feel it's bad for Ben? Maybe it means Ben has had enough of the crap and is going after the accusers.

Snatch98
03-08-2010, 04:10 PM

It doesn't mean the case has legs. I don't get why everyone is so flipping worried about this situation. The one bartender testimonial flat out said the charges are bullsh.it. Big Ben is a target now after the first incident and anyone that sees a avenue to get some money they don't deserve is going to try and take it. Just because he hired a good lawyer with NFL player experience doesn't mean the case has any merit.

feltdizz
03-08-2010, 05:03 PM

It doesn't mean the case has legs. I don't get why everyone is so flipping worried about this situation. The one bartender testimonial flat out said the charges are bullsh.it. Big Ben is a target now after the first incident and anyone that sees a avenue to get some money they don't deserve is going to try and take it. Just because he hired a good lawyer with NFL player experience doesn't mean the case has any merit.

I hope you are right. I just think it's telling Ben hired RayRays lawyer.

Anyone think Ben would need RayRays lawyer a week ago? A bartender can only tell how drunk Ben was and if the bar was slammed he may not be a reliable source due to the other patrons.

Cruzer8... as an expert in public opinions Ben is already guilty as charged... even if he is never charged. I don't see why it's so hard to fathom Ben taking a hit in the court of public opinion. Put Brady in Ben's place and all of us would have nick names for the guy. Take off the Steeler goggles and look at the headlines as an average joe.

Jooser
03-08-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm no chicken little. I've supported Ben so far in this and said very little. It just makes me queasy to see our QB and Ray Ray's lawyer used in the same sentence, that's all I mean by it. RAY RAY people!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/throwupsmiley-2.gif

feltdizz
03-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm no chicken little. I've supported Ben so far in this and said very little. It just makes me queasy to see our QB and Ray Ray's lawyer used in the same sentence, that's all I mean by it. RAY RAY people!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/throwupsmiley-2.gif
You would think people would connect the ugly dots but some fans are blind to it all.

We call Ray Ray all types of names and now his lawyer is representing Ben... is that irony or is it..?

I'll stop before I get called all types of names. LOL

Jooser
03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
I've called Ray Ray many a criminal - related name.... :? And that's my point I guess..

hawaiiansteel
03-08-2010, 05:24 PM
it makes sense to hire the very best attorney possible whether you're guilty as hell or innocent of all charges.

i certainly would.

SteelAbility
03-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Next up: Ben and Ray as wrestling tag team partners! :P

cruzer8
03-08-2010, 06:40 PM

Anyone think Ben would need RayRays lawyer a week ago? A bartender can only tell how drunk Ben was and if the bar was slammed he may not be a reliable source due to the other patrons.

Cruzer8... as an expert in public opinions Ben is already guilty as charged... even if he is never charged. I don't see why it's so hard to fathom Ben taking a hit in the court of public opinion. Put Brady in Ben's place and all of us would have nick names for the guy. Take off the Steeler goggles and look at the headlines as an average joe.

I don't know how to make it any more clear to you that I don't care what anyone thinks of Ben. I don't have to live with it. Ben is the only person who has to live with that.

So once more just for you: I don't care what the public thinks of Ben.

Got it? :)

feltdizz
03-08-2010, 09:32 PM

I don't know how to make it any more clear to you that I don't care what anyone thinks of Ben. I don't have to live with it. Ben is the only person who has to live with that.

So once more just for you: I don't care what the public thinks of Ben.

Got it? :)

YOU put my name in a post talking about the public court of assumption.

funny how the people who don't care are getting the most upset over this....

If it wasn't you I apologize. Get it, Got it, Good? :Cheers

PS: Please don't go batty on me like the other guy who didn't care. LOL!

TallyStiller
03-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Smart move by Ben. His other lawyer may be great, but especially in Georgia, you want the most local guy you can get. Getting somebody that knows the Georgia scene is very important. Having had the misfortune of appearing in a few Texas cases, I can tell you that "Yankee" lawyers aren't always particularly well received in the south. Even in Pennsylvania, judges in the outlying counties will often favor local attorneys over Philadelphia lawyers.

Local judges like to look out for their own. This guy isn't quite a local, but he is close, and he seems to be a powerful defense attorney in the area. You want to squash this as quickly as possible. Juries are a nightmare, completely unpredictable. The best case scenario for Ben is if this lawyer can prevent charges from being filed.

Outstanding point... just ask Vincent LaGuardia Gambini. "Did you say 'Utes?'"

feltdizz
03-10-2010, 09:36 PM

Outstanding point... just ask Vincent LaGuardia Gambini. "Did you say 'Utes?'"

My uncle has represented some high profile athletes and politicians but they have all had cases in large cities or the state capital.

Ben is in THE WORST STATE for sexual assault charges.. being a yankee doesn't help at all... It makes sense to get a Georgia lawyer for a small town case like this.