PDA

View Full Version : Arnez Battle- Steelers have interest, WTF

BigRob
03-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Scout.com is reporting that the Steelers have interest in WR Arnez Battle UFA from the 49'ers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -seahawks/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/battle-sets-up-visits-with-steelers-seahawks/)

steelblood
03-05-2010, 01:55 PM
This is an excellent WR draft in the middle/late rounds. Hopefully, this is just a rumor.

I'd rather get Osgood from SD as at least he is a special teams demon.

Jooser
03-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Battle sets up visits with Steelers, Seahawks
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 5, 2010 12:46 PM ET
We've always considered Arnaz Battle the destitute man's Hines Ward. He could wind up playing behind the real thing.

The long-time 49ers receiver has visits scheduled with the Steelers and Seahawks, according to Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee.

Battle can help on special teams and as a third receiver, although we're a little surprised Seattle wants to add more age to their wideout group.

It's even harder to see where Battle fits in Pittsburgh, with Ward, Santonio Holmes, and Mike Wallace are entrenched atop the depth chart. The team's interest doesn't speak well for Limas Sweed's status with the team.

Just to reiterate.... :wft

steelblood
03-05-2010, 02:14 PM
I get it now. Our new special teams coach comes from SF. Battle is primarily a sp teams guy. What I don't get is NFL.com has him down for 6 fumbles in 15 punt returns last year. Geez. That is an astoundingly horrendous stat. He also is 30 years old. I hope we are only bringing him in to appease the SP teams coach and won't offer him much more than vet minimum.

SS Laser
03-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Why no Randle El over Battle?

hawaiiansteel
03-05-2010, 02:37 PM
We've always considered Arnaz Battle the destitute man's Hines Ward. He could wind up playing behind the real thing.

The long-time 49ers receiver has visits scheduled with the Steelers and Seahawks, according to Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee.

Battle can help on special teams and as a third receiver, although we're a little surprised Seattle wants to add more age to their wideout group.

It's even harder to see where Battle fits in Pittsburgh, with Ward, Santonio Holmes, and Mike Wallace are entrenched atop the depth chart. ]The team's interest doesn't speak well for Limas Sweed's status with the team.[/color]

looks like the Steelers are definitely bringing in some competition at the #4 WR spot and if someone like Battle or Osgood can also play special teams effectively then they will have an edge over Sweed.

whatever has been Sweed's problem, he better get his head screwed on straight and come to camp ready to compete or he will find himself on the waiver wire.

feltdizz
03-05-2010, 03:44 PM

It's even harder to see where Battle fits in Pittsburgh, with Ward, Santonio Holmes, and Mike Wallace are entrenched atop the depth chart. ]The team's interest doesn't speak well for Limas Sweed's status with the team.[/color]

looks like the Steelers are definitely bringing in some competition at the #4 WR spot and if someone like Battle or Osgood can also play special teams effectively then they will have an edge over Sweed.

whatever has been Sweed's problem, he better get his head screwed on straight and come to camp ready to compete or he will find himself on the waiver wire.

Sweed can't catch.. camp means nothing. He had a great camp last year, he could have an amazing camp this year.. he erases it all with one easy drop.

Sucks for him but you have to make the most of your chances..

Iron Shiek
03-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Why no Randle El over Battle?

AKA: Why Arnaz, not Antwan? :lol:

And, I was going to draw the same comparison...the team's affinity for QB turned WR's seems interesting. Either way...I don't really want either of these guys.

pfelix73
03-06-2010, 12:05 AM
I agree- Bring ARE back...
:tt1

hawaiiansteel
03-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Battle to visit Steelers
View From The Press Box - March 5th, 2010

The Steelers are expected to meet with free agent wide receiver Arnaz Battle this weekend.

The Seattle Seahawks have also shown interest in Battle.

Battle, a seventh-year veteran, caught just five passes for 40 yards last season for the San Francisco 49ers. The former Notre Dame standout had 109 catches for 1,286 yards and eight touchdowns in 2006-07 for the 49ers.

San Francisco took the 6-1, 208-pound Battle in the sixth round of the 2003 NFL draft.

The Steelers have Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace at wide receiver but little in the way of proven depth behind them.

The Steelers put Limas Sweed, a second-round pick in 2008, on the non-injured list near the end of the 2009 season. Director of football operations Kevin Colbert recently declined to comment on Sweed's status.