PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark will test free agency

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2010, 07:08 PM
I like what Kevin Colbert had to say about Ryan Clark testing free agency -

Colbert also indicated at the recent NFL Scouting Combine that the Steelers may be willing to let Clark test the open market before signing him to a long-term deal.

"I think they feel obligated to look and see what's out there," Colbert said last week. "That's OK because when a player comes back and we're able to sign him and they've done their homework and they feel their best opportunity is here, then everybody feels better."

Steelers | Clark will test free agency

Thu, 04 Mar 2010

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers FS Ryan Clark will test the free agent market after being unable to reach an agreement with the Steelers.

NW Steeler
03-04-2010, 07:24 PM
I wonder if this means that the Steelers have every intention of seeking a replacement via free agency this year? They have to have someone playing FS, because if Clark doesn't come back they don't have anyone on the roster that is capable of starting.

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2010, 09:53 PM
I wonder if this means that the Steelers have every intention of seeking a replacement via free agency this year? They have to have someone playing FS, because if Clark doesn't come back they don't have anyone on the roster that is capable of starting.

looks like we can remove Antrel Rolle's name off the possible candidates to replace Ryan Clark. in my opinion, this will only serve to drive up Ryan Clark's asking price.

Sean Jones of the Eagles interests me, I don't want to see Ryan Mundy starting either.

Antrel Rolle | Defensive Back
TEAM: Arizona Cardinals
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6'0' / 208
DOB: 12/16/1982
COLLEGE: Miami (FL)
CONTRACT INFO: 2010: Free Agent

The Bears have already begun contract negotiations with free agent FS Antrel Rolle.

It's been just hours since the Cardinals released him, to the Bears are getting down to business promptly. Ideally, they'll have Rolle signed up before the free agent market opens at midnight ET, and be able to turn their attention to DE Julius Peppers at that point.

According to the Chicago Tribune, a deal with Rolle "could be in place within the next few hours."

Oviedo
03-05-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure that Clark can really raise his asking price. What leverage does he have?

He has played for two teams both of which are willing to let him be a free agent.

He has serious medical concerns and can't/won't play in one of the cities that if you may have to play in.

His performance without Troy P. exposed him as being very dependent on Troy in the line up.

I just don't see how he can sell himself as a difference maker. IMO he is the Larry Foote of the secondary. Surround him with the talent and he is made to look better than he is.

hawaiiansteel
03-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Vikings | Believed to be interested in Clark

Fri, 05 Mar 2010

Tom Pelissero, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports the Minnesota Vikings are believed to be interested in unrestricted free-agent FS Ryan Clark (Steelers), according to a source.

hawaiiansteel
03-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Clark still needs to be priority for Steelers
March 4th, 2010

Itís hard to figure what the Steelers are thinking when it comes to free safety Ryan Clark.

That, or the two sides are so far apart on a new contract that the Steelers figure itís best to let other teams set his market value before deciding if they are willing to pay it.

The gamble with letting Clark test free agency: all it takes is one team to overpay to ensure that he doesnít return to the Steelers.

Clark is sincere when he says he wants to stay with the Steelers. He will probably take a little less to re-sign with the Steelers if it comes down to them and another team.

But Clark also has a wife and three young children. At the age of 30, this is likely his best if not final chance for a long-term contract lucrative enough that the Clarks never have to worry about money again.

If the hard-hitting safety goes elsewhere to get that kind of deal no one can blame him.

If Clark doesnít return to Pittsburgh, the Steelers will be perilously thin at free safety. Assuming the Steelers donít bring back Tyrone Carter, who turns 34 at the end of the month, the Steelers will have just Ryan Mundy at the position.

What exactly the Steelers have in Mundy is hard to tell because he played primarily on special teams in 2009. What is a bit of a red flag is that Carter played in front Mundy last season at free safety when Clark was out.

If Clark leaves, the Steelers will almost have to pursue a safety via free agency ó and hope they unearth a gem such as they did in 2006 with Clark after losing Chris Hope.

The reason? The draft can't be depended on to bring immediate help at free safety.

The Steelers have used their first-round pick on a safety exactly one time since 1969. And Troy Polamalu, the Steelersí top pick in 2003, played sparingly as a rookie because he struggled to pick up the defense.

Given the reality that the Steelers are not going to use their first-round draft pick on a free safety ó and how steep the learning curve is for rookie defensive players ó the Steelers need to make every effort to re-sign Clark.

If he goes elsewhere the Steelers may find out the hard way that they miss Clark every bit as much as he misses them.

NW Steeler
03-05-2010, 03:23 PM
I guess that means we better hope that Keenan Lewis will actually play FS this year. As Oviedo pointed out, at least he has had a year to learn the offense from the sidelines.

feltdizz
03-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Smart move by the Steelers..

Clark looked terrible when Troy went out last year...

I can't see anyone getting too excited unless they go back to 2008 tapes and have a Troy on their team..

LOL!!!

MaxAMillion
03-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Just because Troy did not start as a rookie does not mean that no rookie safety is capable of starting for the Steelers. I remember back in the 90's, Darren Perry was a late round draft choice who played well at safety.

It would not be wise for Labeau, or any DC, to put forth a defense that rookies are incapable of playing in because of its complexity. I don't think that is the case.