PDA

View Full Version : Where Should Timmons Play?

flippy
03-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Timmons position (mack vs buck) comes up in a lot of threads. Many think he's out of position and would do better switching. Curious what everyone thinks.

My thought is Timmons belongs outside. He may not be the pass rusher that James Harrison is today, but I think he could surpass him with time.

Timmons burst is insane. And it's being wasted on the inside. He'd be a beast off the edge. Teams would fear him coming after and hurting their QB. He would need to be double teamed consistently off the edge. And more often than not, now teams just hang onto James Harrison with a single player.

But I'm also realistic in that we're not moving our former DMVP. Harrison's game is very complete for an OLB and he makes a huge number of tackles in addition to getting to the QB.

But what if Timmons and Harrison could be used more interchangeably?

Sometimes Timmons could go outside and Harrison could take his position inside. I'd like to see Timmons rushing the QB a little more often. He could be a beast off the edge. I really think he has the athleticism to be one of the best Steelers OLBs of all time.

Unfortunately we'll never see it.

birtikidis
03-04-2010, 06:20 PM
IF timmons stays inside he should be in Farriors spot. my opinion is that he will take over for Farrior and then eventually be moved outside (like chad brown).

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Warning - uneducated questions to follow ...

Is the issue that we have three potential excellent outside rushers (Harrison, Woodley, and Timmons), but only 2 outside positions to put them in?

If that's right ... would it work to have a rotation among the three? That might be a deathknell for the defensive lineman - relatively fresh outside rushers, in different configurations - if I were a DE, I'd be crying on the Saturday night before facing the Steelers!

BTW - can someone be good at coming at the QB from the outside on one side, but not the other? IN other words, if Harrison and Woodley were switched, would the results be expected to be the same?

Thanks for helping me understand this better!

(BTW - Buck... Mack ... there's a third term I see used too ... ??)

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2010, 06:45 PM
IF timmons stays inside he should be in Farriors spot. my opinion is that he will take over for Farrior and then eventually be moved outside (like chad brown).

:Agree

i would love to see us draft Sean Weatherspoon and let him compete against Fox for Timmons' mack position and move Timmons over to Farrior's buck spot. once James Harrison retires move Timmons back outside and Fox and Spoon can man the middle.

Dee Dub
03-04-2010, 06:50 PM

Agreed. That is what LeBeau calls his Buck.

Weakside linebacker

The weakside linebacker, or "Will", must be the fastest of the three, because he is often the one called into pass coverage. He is also usually chasing the play from the backside, so the ability to maneuver through traffic is a necessity for Will. Will usually aligns off the line of scrimmage at the same depth as Mike. Because of his position on the weakside, Will does not often have to face large interior linemen one on one unless one is pulling. In coverage, Will often covers the back that attacks his side of the field first in man coverage, while covering the weak flat or hook/curl areas in zone coverage. In a 3-4 defense the "Will" Linebacker plays on the "weakside" of the two middle Linebacker positions and a 4th Linebacker comes in to play the weakside. Known as a "Rush", "Rover", "Jack" and/or "Buck" Linebacker, their responsibility is more pass rush based but often is called into run stop (gap control) and pass coverage.

Now...doesnt that sound like what Timmons should be???

SteelCzar76
03-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Where Should Timmons Play?

As a backup Weakside OLB for the Indianapolis Colts. (If the Football Gods had any mercy upon me.) :lol:

But this will never happen,...so instead for the next several years i'll have to keep hearing the same thing as i've heard up until this point and more,....

"Oh,....he's still a beast,...put him inside and he'll show everyone that he's the next Chad Brown or even greater"

(Doesn't pan out, get's washed, run over, run around and blows assignments like i said he would)

"Oh,...well,...Uuuuh,...he's still a beast,....just move him to the Buck and he'll show everyone that he's the best in the league"

(Doesn't pan out, get's washed, run over, run around and blows assignments like i said he would)

"Uuuuhhh,....he's still a beast,....just put him at strong safety,...and he'll be as great as Troy in no time"

And so on and so on and so on :lol:

cruzer8
03-04-2010, 07:39 PM

As a backup Weakside OLB for the Indianapolis Colts. (If the Football Gods had any mercy upon me.) :lol:

But this will never happen,...so instead for the next several years i'll have to keep hearing the same thing as i've heard up until this point and more,....

"Oh,....he's still a beast,...put him inside and he'll show everyone that he's the next Chad Brown or even greater"

"Oh,...well,...Uuuuh,...he's still a beast,....just move him to the Buck and he'll show everyone that he's the best in the league"

"Uuuuhhh,....he's still a beast,....just put him at strong safety,...and he'll be as great as Troy in no time"

:Blah

frankthetank1
03-04-2010, 09:25 PM

i would love to see us draft Sean Weatherspoon and let him compete against Fox for Timmons' mack position and move Timmons over to Farrior's buck spot. once James Harrison retires move Timmons back outside and Fox and Spoon can man the middle.

i think that is the way to go as well. timmons is best suited for OLB but if he plays ILB he should be in farrior's position. last season was so dissapointing in regards to farrior's play. i really hope we dont have to go through another season of that especially since we have fox on the bench. i dont think weatherspoon will be there at #18 unfortunately. if he is there is no doubt in my mind the steelers will draft him.

Oviedo
03-04-2010, 10:00 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz

And this week you actually managed to post some interesting comments before you couldn't resist you temptation to go back to your old nonsensical trite responses. Oh well.

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2010, 10:22 PM

i think that is the way to go as well. timmons is best suited for OLB but if he plays ILB he should be in farrior's position. last season was so dissapointing in regards to farrior's play. i really hope we dont have to go through another season of that especially since we have fox on the bench. i dont think weatherspoon will be there at #18 unfortunately. if he is there is no doubt in my mind the steelers will draft him.

i worry that the Atlanta Falcons who pick one spot behind us at #19 and are reportedly totally enamored with Weatherspoon will jump in front of us and select Spoon just like the Jets did when they stole Darrelle Revis right from under our noses.

to do so, it would only take Atlanta's 4th and 7th round draft choices to move from #19 to #17, according to the NFL Draft Value Table.

SteelCzar76
03-04-2010, 10:22 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz

And this week you actually managed to post some interesting comments before you couldn't resist you temptation to go back to your old nonsensical trite responses. Oh well.

"O,...i can see your Vagina from here" (Jk) :lol: In all seriousness though,..simply because this is a subject that we never have or will ever agree upon does not make my opinion, yours or anyone elses "nonsensical" or "trite" (Any more than your anti 3-4/ Coach Lebeau sentiments),....just simply,...different. :Cheers

Disclaimer: "Mr Czar's preceding post in no way indicates that he and Mr Oviedo will be taking any long warm showers together and or walks in the park holding hands at any point Ever."

birtikidis
03-04-2010, 10:29 PM

I disagree that he's best suited to be an outside linebacker. I think he'll be a damn good one, but i think his ability in pass coverage would make him a great buck.

papillon
03-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Ultimately, he'll end up outside rushing the passer, making plays from the backside, dropping into passing zones and causing havoc in general. In the mean time he's one of the best athletes on the team and did an admirable job inside last year. He'll be even better this year, but not as good as he'll be once he moves outside when Harrison isn't an every down OLB any longer.

He was drafted not realizing that Harrison was going to turn into the DMVP and begin playing at an all pro level.

Pappy

Shawn
03-05-2010, 12:54 AM

Weakside linebacker

The weakside linebacker, or "Will", must be the fastest of the three, because he is often the one called into pass coverage. He is also usually chasing the play from the backside, so the ability to maneuver through traffic is a necessity for Will. Will usually aligns off the line of scrimmage at the same depth as Mike. Because of his position on the weakside, Will does not often have to face large interior linemen one on one unless one is pulling. In coverage, Will often covers the back that attacks his side of the field first in man coverage, while covering the weak flat or hook/curl areas in zone coverage. In a 3-4 defense the "Will" Linebacker plays on the "weakside" of the two middle Linebacker positions and a 4th Linebacker comes in to play the weakside. Known as a "Rush", "Rover", "Jack" and/or "Buck" Linebacker, their responsibility is more pass rush based but often is called into run stop (gap control) and pass coverage.

Article from the gazette...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05316/605332-66.stm

Farrior plays the "buck" position -- the name for the inside linebacker position that lines up to the strong side, or tight end side, in the 3-4 defense.

The buck linebacker makes all the calls for the linemen and linebackers and is usually backed on the same side by the strong safety. That gives him more freedom to make tackles.

"Clint is one of the smartest players on the defense -- that's why he plays the buck," Farrior said. "We got to know a lot of things out there and I'm sure he's going to do well with the calls. He's been in the system for a while. Everyone on the defense believes in him and has confidence in him, and that's the biggest thing."

The other inside position, manned by Larry Foote, is known as "the mack." The mack linebacker has less freedom to make tackles because he does not have safety support. He is mostly responsible for backside and weakside support.

"That's why he makes more tackles than me," Foote said of Farrior.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
03-05-2010, 01:04 AM

Weakside linebacker

Farrior plays the "buck" position -- the name for the inside linebacker position that lines up to the strong side, or tight end side, in the 3-4 defense.

The buck linebacker makes all the calls for the linemen and linebackers and is usually backed on the same side by the strong safety. That gives him more freedom to make tackles.

"Clint is one of the smartest players on the defense -- that's why he plays the buck," Farrior said. "We got to know a lot of things out there and I'm sure he's going to do well with the calls. He's been in the system for a while. Everyone on the defense believes in him and has confidence in him, and that's the biggest thing."

The other inside position, manned by Larry Foote, is known as "the mack." The mack linebacker has less freedom to make tackles because he does not have safety support. He is mostly responsible for backside and weakside support.

Very helpful, thanks so much, Sean.

Interesting article to read too - FWP/The Bus, Clint K., etc. - blast from the past!

feltdizz
03-05-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm not ready to write Timmons off after one full season as an ILB...

I know people like plug and play 1st rounders but given our OLB's.. I'm OK with Timmons inside.

hawaiiansteel
03-05-2010, 01:37 AM

I know people like plug and play 1st rounders but given our OLB's.. I'm OK with Timmons inside.

me too, but i would rather Timmons play Farrior's buck position and let Fox and hopefully Weatherspoon fight it out for the mack starting spot.

birtikidis
03-05-2010, 01:43 AM

me too, but i would rather Timmons play Farrior's buck position and let Fox and hopefully Weatherspoon fight it out for the mack starting spot.
I would like to see spoon come in and spell timmons (bumping timmons to spell Farrior).
I'm not ready to completely write Farrior off. but I'd like to see him get some rest!

Shawn
03-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Weakside linebacker

Interesting article to read too - FWP/The Bus, Clint K., etc. - blast from the past!

No problem San. Yeah I got to read alot of these articles when I was trying to study up on the linebacker position. Very interesting stuff.

Dee Dub
03-05-2010, 04:11 PM

Weakside linebacker

No problem San. Yeah I got to read alot of these articles when I was trying to study up on the linebacker position. Very interesting stuff.

But what you are not understanding Shawn, is this is what LeBeau calls Farrior’s spot. Most teams who run this 3-4 don’t call that the “Buck”. Traditionally on a 3-4 (even a 4-3), the names of these LB’s has always been the Mike (Middle), the Will (weak side), the Sam (strong side), and the Buck, Jack, Rush, or Rover however your team calls it. This Buck, Jack, Rover, or Rush LB plays the weak side end linebacker position. And traditionally it has generally been the Mike (middle linebacker-QUARTERBACK OF THE DEFENSE), that calls the defensive signals. Unfortunately because of Timmons lack of leadership LeBeau has instructed his weak side LB (Farrior), to handle this…and has even given him a different name---the Buck.

Here is a page that shows Nick Saban’s 3-4 defense at Alabama. Notice the names he gives his backers. He got this from Bellichek who got this from Parcels and so on and so on and so. I would seriously suggest you click on this link. :wink:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/13524 ... etease.PNG (http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/135249/34defensearticletease.PNG)

steelsnis
03-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Unfortunately because of Timmons lack of leadership LeBeau has instructed his weak side LB (Farrior), to handle this…and has even given him a different name---the Buck.

Rubbish. Farrior has been the signal caller on defense for years. Way before Timmons got here. You make it sound like Foote called the defensive signals before he left for Detroit.

Oviedo
03-05-2010, 04:26 PM

Timmons was third on the team in Sacks and fifth in Tackles and second in forced fumbles. Do you realize he had more tackles than Woodley???? He missed two games and was less than 100% in several others. Why on God's green earth would "writing him off" even be a thought? That is just plain nuts.

Dee Dub
03-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Unfortunately because of Timmons lack of leadership LeBeau has instructed his weak side LB (Farrior), to handle this…and has even given him a different name---the Buck.

Rubbish. Farrior has been the signal caller on defense for years. Way before Timmons got here. You make it sound like Foote called the defensive signals before he left for Detroit.

Oh God! I realize this...but the positions these two are playing are actually reversals. Timmons is playing the traditional Middle (Mike), spot that is generally reserved for the QB of the defense. Wow....i guess some just are equipped to know certain things. :roll:

Shawn
03-05-2010, 04:43 PM
It's not that I'm not willing to believe you D. Like I admit I'm not an expert. But, why did the article I sited say the exact opposite of what you are saying. Was Dulac and Foote wrong? Is it possible they were both confused?

For me it's confusing especially if Lebeau is switching up terminology based on his play caller.

Dee Dub
03-05-2010, 05:00 PM
It's not that I'm not willing to believe you D. Like I admit I'm not an expert. But, why did the article I sited say the exact opposite of what you are saying. Was Dulac and Foote wrong? Is it possible they were both confused?

For me it's confusing especially if Lebeau is switching up terminology based on his play caller.

Shawn nothing you said was wrong. It is a switching of terminology. I am willing to bet that everyone who has been under LeBeau, has continued that. Just like those under Parcells. But what I allude to is what these names (linebackers), are traditionally.

The only thing I disagree with is where Timmons would be best served. He should play that Will or Buck position, as you call it, and we have a more stout Middle LB next to him. A down hill sideline to sideline.

Shawn
03-05-2010, 05:12 PM

Shawn nothing you said was wrong. It is a switching of terminology. I am willing to bet that everyone who has been under LeBeau, has continued that. Just like those under Parcells. But what I allude to is what these names (linebackers), are traditionally.

The only thing I disagree with is where Timmons would be best served. He should play that Will or Buck position, as you call it, and we have a more stout Middle LB next to him. A down hill sideline to sideline.

Well if what you are saying is true which I believe it is...then it makes more sense to me. It would certainly be the reason I seen so many articles contradict each other.

Dee Dub
03-05-2010, 05:46 PM

Well if what you are saying is true which I believe it is...then it makes more sense to me. It would certainly be the reason I seen so many articles contradict each other.

I really believe if the Steelers drafted Weatherspoon, or even got McClain who played in a 3-4, this will improve the play of Timmons. Or if buy some miracle the Steelers signed Kirk Morrison this too would help Timmons.

ikestops85
03-05-2010, 06:06 PM

The names really don't make any sense in todays game. It used to be offenses would come out and be primarily left-handed or right-handed. The TE in a right-handed offense would break the huddle and line up next to the right tackle ... on almost every single play. If that TE would come out and line up on the left side you would see the linebackers switch so the strong side linebacker would be over the TE.

Teams don't operate like that anymore. The formations are so varied with the TE often split out, unbalanced lines and motion the strong side could switch 3 times before the play gets run. Do you ever see Harrison and Woodley running back and forth switching sides so Harrison can stay on the weak side? Did Timmons and Farrior also switch? I never saw any of them doing that. It would look like the keystone cops if they did.

The linebackers as I see it are:

Woodley - LOLB
Farrior - LILB
Timmons - RILB
Harrison - ROLB

Now you can call them whatever you want but those are the positions they play. Just don't try and designate them based on strong and weak side because those formations don't dictate where our linebackers line up.

Of course I could be full of sh!t :lol:

Chadman
03-05-2010, 07:53 PM

Timmons was third on the team in Sacks and fifth in Tackles and second in forced fumbles. Do you realize he had more tackles than Woodley???? He missed two games and was less than 100% in several others. Why on God's green earth would "writing him off" even be a thought? That is just plain nuts.

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

Face it- some people will always consider Timmons a reach, and will be quick to look for his failure.

He didn't fit the traditional Bill Cowher ILB mould, and therefore represents a breakaway from the norm- something that rocks diehard fans to the core, it would seem.

Change is, after all, really bad.

didn't you know? :D