PDA

View Full Version : Steelers tender William Gay and Matt Spaeth

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Steelers tender two more

Wednesday, March 03, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As expected, the Steelers issued tenders to cornerback William Gay and tight end Matt Spaeth, who join tackle Willie Colon and punter Daniel Sepulveda as restricted free agents when the official opening of free agency begins at the stroke of midnight Thursday.

Gay and Spaeth each received tenders of slightly more than $1 million, as did Sepulveda. Like Sepulveda, each would provide the Steelers with a draft choice if they sign elsewhere and the Steelers did not exercise their right to match the contract.

Gay would bring a fifth-round pick and Spaeth a third-round pick. Sepulveda would bring a fourth-round pick and Colon a first-round pick.

The Steelers did not issue tenders to guard Darnell Stapleton or halfback Carey Davis and thus both will become unrestricted free agents on Friday.

Dee Dub
03-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Lets hope somebody takes them. Spaeth for a third? Sign me up!!

Djfan
03-03-2010, 08:21 PM

Agreed. If not, then trade?

isonator07
03-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Third Rd. pick in a fantasy football league? No way anyone signs him.

Chadman
03-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Third Rd. pick in a fantasy football league? No way anyone signs him.

Completely agree. Steelers actually could have not tendered him & kept him easily. same might be said for William Gay.

frankthetank1
03-03-2010, 10:36 PM
i dont mind keeping spaeth but why keep gay? no other team will want him and for good reason. i hope this doesnt lessen the chance of drafting cb's. they already drafted lewis and burnett last year. i would rather see more of burnett and lewis than more of willie gay

MeetJoeGreene
03-03-2010, 11:25 PM

+1

Actually, + INFINITY!

chonba
03-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Willie Colon doesn't suck (she rolls her eyes). Just hope he signs so we can be done with it. I'd really like to keep Sepulveda, too.

papillon
03-03-2010, 11:43 PM
How do the tenders work?

If either player signs the tender thew Steelers are stuck, I mean, have to pay them for one more year. If another makes them an offer the Steelers get a chance to match, correct?

If that's the case the Steelers should have just let them see who has interest and at what price and then decide to match or up the offer. Why guarantee them 1 million per annum?

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Willie Colon doesn't suck (she rolls her eyes). Just hope he signs so we can be done with it. I'd really like to keep Sepulveda, too.

The most likely scenario for Willie Colon is that we slap the restricted tender on him again next year, virtually ensuring that we keep Colon for the next two seasons. We can keep him for a 3rd year if we decide to franchise him after that. And if some team gives him a ridiculous offer that we decide not to match we will receive a first round draft choice in return.

As for Sepulveda, I like him and hope he stays as well. I'm pretty sure the Steelers will match any sane offer Sepulveda may get.

Ghost
03-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Understand the Colon offer and I think Sepulveda was a great weapon last season and has a chance to continue to improve.

William Gay was often the worst player on the field (for either team). Who's signing him away?

If the coaches like Spaeth b/c he's been in the system a few years then $1m isn't all that much. Doubt he had people lining up to grab him though.

Wonder if the think Stapleton wouldn't recover from the injury as he had the starting position before he went down.

Oviedo
03-04-2010, 10:24 AM

The most likely scenario for Willie Colon is that we slap the restricted tender on him again next year, virtually ensuring that we keep Colon for the next two seasons. We can keep him for a 3rd year if we decide to franchise him after that. And if some team gives him a ridiculous offer that we decide not to match we will receive a first round draft choice in return.

As for Sepulveda, I like him and hope he stays as well. I'm pretty sure the Steelers will match any sane offer Sepulveda may get.

That is why Colon should forget about market value and just sign a multi-year deal at a home discount. For his financial security he should grab years verus taking the risk of playing on a couple more yearly contracts. One injury and he is screwed.

Stewie
03-04-2010, 10:28 AM
The 5th round tender for Gay makes a CB likely for the 1st pick IMHO.

Oviedo
03-04-2010, 10:39 AM
The 5th round tender for Gay makes a CB likely for the 1st pick IMHO.

Except that there is no CB worthy of the #18 pick

steelblood
03-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Gay had an awful year. But, he was effective in 2008. Maybe he can be effective again, especially in a reduced role. 1 million dollars is nothing for a depth corner/spot starter. That was the right decision.

Spaeth is not worth the money. He is a poor blocker and terrible after the catch. There are great TEs to be had late in this draft. Why not take one?

fezziwig
03-04-2010, 01:19 PM
The newspaper showed a picture of Gay making a tackle after the catch, I wonder why they didn't use a picture of him defending the pass or making an interception ?

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2010, 05:19 PM
The newspaper showed a picture of Gay making a tackle after the catch, I wonder why they didn't use a picture of him defending the pass or making an interception ?

because it was a heckuva lot easier to find a picture of Gay making a tackle after yet another catch by an opposing WR than it was to find a picture of him defending a pass.

It's virtually impossible to find one of Gay making an interception since he had none in 2009 and only one in his career as a Steeler so far.

ghettoscott
03-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I hope we keep Sep....the thought of going through another Mitch Berger season gives me the willies....

fezziwig
03-04-2010, 07:42 PM

because it was a heckuva lot easier to find a picture of Gay making a tackle after yet another catch by an opposing WR than it was to find a picture of him defending a pass.

It's virtually impossible to find one of Gay making an interception since he had none in 2009 and only one in his career as a Steeler so far.

:Clap You didn't miss the dig I threw out there :D

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2010, 08:09 PM

no, i caught it -

which is more than i can say for William Gay or Ike Taylor... :D

Shoe
03-05-2010, 03:05 AM
Gay had an awful year. But, he was effective in 2008. Maybe he can be effective again, especially in a reduced role. 1 million dollars is nothing for a depth corner/spot starter. That was the right decision.

As much as I hate to say it (given how bad he was last year), I would have to agree that... the guy can't be as bad as he showed. Especially considering that he is a professional (i.e. doesn't want to go out looking like that), I would expect a pretty dramatic turnaround on his part.

I'm not saying he will suddenly become a star or anything; but he's gotta play better than last year.

fezziwig
03-05-2010, 06:07 PM

no, i caught it -

which is more than i can say for William Gay or Ike Taylor... :D

:lol: :lol: :Clap DUDE ! I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING ! :lol: :Bow