PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Morrison tendered for a third round pick...

steelerkeylargo
03-03-2010, 07:31 PM
only compensation..The guy has led the team in tackles 5 straight years. I would be tempted to give up a third for him.

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Kirk Morrison is very available

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 3, 2010

Stanford Routt felt the Raiders love Wednesday despite starting only one game last year.

Middle linebacker Kirk Morrison, who has led the team in tackles for five straight seasons, was not so lucky. Adam Schefter reports the team extended an "original pick" tender to Morrison, meaning any interested team would only have to give up a third-rounder if they signed him away.

Make no mistake, the Raiders would love for that to happen.

Morrison is due $2.5 million next season and would have made the exact same money if he got the second round tender.

Essentially, the Raiders placed a lower tender on Morrison despite no financial savings. They wanted to create the highest chance for a trade and knew no one would give up a second-round pick for him.

Morrison could get an offer sheet, and then everyone's happy. If not, he'll have to return to a team he knows didn't want him back.

Dee Dub
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
He is also one of the best cover linebackers in the NFL. Some team is going to jump all over this.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-03-2010, 08:38 PM
We have an aging LB who came in via free agency.....?

flippy
03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
THis could be a nice pickup.

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2010, 03:35 AM

absolutely, Captain Kirk Morrison would provide some much needed depth at ILB and could challenge Keyaron Fox for Farrior's starting position one day.

I'm just soooo glad I'm not a Raiders fan! :tt1

steelblood
03-04-2010, 01:24 PM
so if I understand this right, the raiders put a 3rd round tender on Morrison and a 2nd round tender on their long snapper. Wow

Dee Dub
03-04-2010, 01:47 PM

absolutely, Captain Kirk Morrison would provide some much needed depth at ILB and could challenge Keyaron Fox for Farrior's starting position one day.

Are you kidding me ?? He’s a Should Be-Pro Bowl NFL LB who may be the best cover inside backer in the game. If he comes to the Steelers he starts immediately at the “Mike”, Farrior is cut loose, and Timmons is move to a more natural position for him at the “Sam”. This would make the Steelers a better defense immediately. This is one of the best players in the game that a lot of people don’t know about.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-04-2010, 01:53 PM

Are you kidding me ?? He’s a Should Be-Pro Bowl NFL LB who may be the best cover inside backer in the game. If he comes to the Steelers he starts immediately at the “Mike”, Farrior is cut loose, and Timmons is move to a more natural position for him at the “Sam”. This would make the Steelers a better defense immediately. This is one of the best players in the game that a lot of people don’t know about.

So....why wouldn't we give up a 3rd round pick to get a LB this caliber when we do have a need there?

Dee Dub
03-04-2010, 02:00 PM
[quote=flippy]THis could be a nice pickup.

So....why wouldn't we give up a 3rd round pick to get a LB this caliber when we do have a need there?[/quote:3vox4w7r]

It's not a trade. It's the coming up with the money to sign him.....and the Steelers have already said they will not be a big player in free agency.

We would have to give up the 3rd rounder after we sign him away from Oakland.

steelerkeylargo
03-04-2010, 03:42 PM

Farrior plays the BUCK and Timmons plays the MACK

Dee Dub
03-04-2010, 03:56 PM

Exactly. The "Mack" is the same as the "Mike". And actually what I meant was the "Will" (Buck, Rover, Jack, etc.), is the weak side insider LB in a 3-4. That is where Timmons should be. More times than not the "Sam" refers to the strongside OLB.

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2010, 05:05 PM

So....why wouldn't we give up a 3rd round pick to get a LB this caliber when we do have a need there?[/quote:1rxsmcfs]

Morrison is certainly better than any ILB than we could draft in the 3rd round this year, that's for sure. Problem is, what kind of dollars would it take to sign Morrison to a long-term contract that the Raiders wouldn't just match?

Shawn
03-04-2010, 05:20 PM

Exactly. The "Mack" is the same as the "Mike". And actually what I meant was the "Will" (Buck, Rover, Jack, etc.), is the weak side insider LB in a 3-4. That is where Timmons should be. More times than not the "Sam" refers to the strongside OLB.[/quote:238j4dfw]

The Buck is your strong side inside linebacker...he plays off of the TE. And I disagree with your notion that Timmons needs to be the mack...or weak side inside linebacker. When looking at the Lebeau 3-4 the Buck isn't your typical strong side thumper taking on blockers to allow the mack to make plays. He is the guy that needs to be your best linebacker. He needs to be the thumper at times...but must also have the greatest range in pass coverage. He is your linebacker that generally leads in tackles. Timmons is better suited for the strong side buck position within the Lebeau 3-4. Also, I have seen the term Mike used for one of the 3-4 inside linebackers but it's incorrect to do so. I believe even wikipedia has this wrong. The Mike should be reserved for the 4-3 ILB. Thats why I prefer to use Jack, Mack, Buck, Sam to avoid confusion when talking about the 3-4. When speaking about the 4-3 I prefer the terms Will, Mike, and Sam. I have seen quite a few knowledgeable football players and fans mix this up.

And while I would love to see Timmons as the Sam (strong side outside linebacker)...where are you planning on moving Harrison?

Dee Dub
03-04-2010, 06:22 PM
The Buck is your strong side inside linebacker...he plays off of the TE. And I disagree with your notion that Timmons needs to be the mack...or weak side inside linebacker. When looking at the Lebeau 3-4 the Buck isn't your typical strong side thumper taking on blockers to allow the mack to make plays. He is the guy that needs to be your best linebacker. He needs to be the thumper at times...but must also have the greatest range in pass coverage. He is your linebacker that generally leads in tackles. Timmons is better suited for the strong side buck position within the Lebeau 3-4. Also, I have seen the term Mike used for one of the 3-4 inside linebackers but it's incorrect to do so. I believe even wikipedia has this wrong. The Mike should be reserved for the 4-3 ILB. Thats why I prefer to use Jack, Mack, Buck, Sam to avoid confusion when talking about the 3-4. When speaking about the 4-3 I prefer the terms Will, Mike, and Sam. I have seen quite a few knowledgeable football players and fans mix this up.

And while I would love to see Timmons as the Sam (strong side outside linebacker)...where are you planning on moving Harrison?

You guys crack me up.... :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linebacker

Types of linebackers

There are several different designations of linebackers: strongside, middle, and weakside. Usually the strongside and weakside are combined under the title outside, and the middle is renamed inside. In many formations and systems, teams do not use the strong and weakside designations, and merely play their outside linebackers consistently on one side of the formation and designate them either right outside linebacker and left outside linebacker.[2] These terms are abbreviated ROLB and LOLB when appearing in lineup cards. Just like "zeh train" was MLB
[edit] Middle Linebacker (MLB)

Also called the "Mike" linebacker, the middle linebacker is often referred to as the "quarterback of the defense" and is typically the most skilled and pivotal player of the linebackers corps. Often times it is the middle linebacker that receives the defensive play calls from the sideline and relays that play to the rest of the team–and in the NFL he is usually the defensive player with the electronic sideline communicator. A jack of all trades, the middle linebacker can be asked to blitz (though they often blitz less than the outside linebacker), cover, spy the quarterback, or even have a deep middle-of-the-field responsibility in the Tampa 2 defense. In standard defenses, middle linebackers commonly lead the team in tackles.
[edit] Outside linebacker (OLB)

The outside linebacker is usually responsible for outside containment. This includes the strongside and weakside designations below.
[edit] Strongside linebacker

The strongside linebacker (SLB) is often nicknamed "Sam" for purposes of calling a blitz. Since the strong side of the offensive team is the side on which the tight end lines up, or whichever side contains the most personnel, the strongside linebacker usually lines up across from the tight end. Often the strongside linebacker will be called upon to tackle the running back on a play, because the back will be following the tight end's block. He is most often the strongest linebacker, at the least he possess the ability to withstand, shed, and fight off blocks from a TE or a FB blocking the backside of a pass play. The linebacker should also have strong safety abilities in pass situation to cover the tight end in man on man situations. He should also have considerable quickness to read and get into coverage in zone situations.
[edit] Weakside linebacker

The weakside linebacker, or "Will", must be the fastest of the three, because he is often the one called into pass coverage. He is also usually chasing the play from the backside, so the ability to maneuver through traffic is a necessity for Will. Will usually aligns off the line of scrimmage at the same depth as Mike. Because of his position on the weakside, Will does not often have to face large interior linemen one on one unless one is pulling. In coverage, Will often covers the back that attacks his side of the field first in man coverage, while covering the weak flat or hook/curl areas in zone coverage. In a 3-4 defense the "Will" Linebacker plays on the "weakside" of the two middle Linebacker positions and a 4th Linebacker comes in to play the weakside. Known as a "Rush", "Rover", "Jack" and/or "Buck" Linebacker, their responsibility is more pass rush based but often is called into run stop (gap control) and pass coverage

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again...it is my belief that Timmons would be better suited not playing the "Mack", "Mike", or "Middle Linebacker".

The "M" whether it be Mack or Mike stands for Middle. The "W" in Will stands for Weak side. The "S" in Sam stands for Strong side. :idea:

Shawn
03-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Like I said, there is some misinformation on wikipedia.

Here is a link for you.

http://steelerstoday.com/?p=3352

I can provide quite a few more if you wish.

Dee Dub
03-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Like I said, there is some misinformation on wikipedia.

Here is a link for you.

http://steelerstoday.com/?p=3352

I can provide quite a few more if you wish.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh Shawn I didnt get that from wikipeida. I got that from being around the game, playing it, coaching it. I printed that for laymans terms.

and as far as your steelerstoday site..did you ever click on about us??

Here this is your guy who wrote that..

Writers:

Donald Starver is the primary writer for Steelers Today. He has been a Steelers fan his entire life (is it possible to be born in Pittsburgh and NOT be a Steelers fan?). When he cuts himself, the fluid that flows from his veins is black and gold.

Things Donald likes: The Steelers. Fishing. The Steelers. Golf. The Steelers. Mixed martial arts (MMA). James Harrison sacks. Troy Polamalu interceptions. Hines Ward knocking cornerbacks and linebackers out.

Things Donald hates: The Baltimore Ravens. Brussels sprouts. Steelers losses. Diva wide receivers. The Baltimore Ravens. Joshua Cribbs. Cabbage. Did I mention the Baltimore Ravens?

Shawn
03-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I admit I have almost no football experience. I am a student of the game...I like to learn, and observe. I don't claim to be an expert. What I will say though is I do alot of reading. I have read numerous articles about the subject and like I was telling Hawaiian alot of those articles contradict one another. Let me give you an example...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05316/605332-66.stm

Farrior plays the "buck" position -- the name for the inside linebacker position that lines up to the strong side, or tight end side, in the 3-4 defense.

The other inside position, manned by Larry Foote, is known as "the mack." The mack linebacker has less freedom to make tackles because he does not have safety support. He is mostly responsible for backside and weakside support.

"That's why he makes more tackles than me," Foote said of Farrior.

Foote validated the statement made by Dulac.

The article I listed previously, this one, several others I have read and another from GB about their 3-4 all disagreed with wikipedia.

But, you are right I am bound by what I read as I have no experience.

I would love a great online resource that we know is legit to study these subjects.

With all of that said, the question still remains...if you move Timmons to the Sam...where are you putting Harrison?

MaxAMillion
03-05-2010, 09:39 AM
I will be shocked if the Steelers take a look at Morrison. They are going with business as usual which means that they won't be big players in free agency.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-05-2010, 10:50 AM
I will be shocked if the Steelers take a look at Morrison. They are going with business as usual which means that they won't be big players in free agency.

Only team in the NFL where signing one free agent for a position other than backup is a huge free agent offseason.

They have shown before they will plug holes with a key addition such as Farrior or Clark. Might be time to replace both of those guys. Morrison would immediately do that.

stlrz d
03-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I will be shocked if the Steelers take a look at Morrison. They are going with business as usual which means that they won't be big players in big name, big money free agency.

FTFY, and thankfully they won't be playing the big name, big money FA game. It's why they're competitive year in and year out.

I simply cannot understand how some Steelers fans aren't able to comprehend that. Every off season we hear whining about how the Steelers don't go after all these big name, big dollar players. Not saying that YOUR post was whining...just saying in general, every year there are a bunch of fans whining that the Steelers don't break the bank and go after the big names.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-05-2010, 01:27 PM
I will be shocked if the Steelers take a look at Morrison. They are going with business as usual which means that they won't be big players in big name, big money free agency.

FTFY, and thankfully they won't be playing the big name, big money FA game. It's why they're competitive year in and year out.

I simply cannot understand how some Steelers fans aren't able to comprehend that. Every off season we hear whining about how the Steelers don't go after all these big name, big dollar players. Not saying that YOUR post was whining...just saying in general, every year there are a bunch of fans whining that the Steelers don't break the bank and go after the big names.

I am all for the Steelers staying out of the big name, big money market. But feel we can upgrade some positions, or roster spots, through FA. The needs we may have, depending on what happens, will be at Nickel back, backup SS, FS, Backup FS, possibly CB if they feel none of the youngsters can take the position and perform well. Could use an upgrade at backup OLB and ILB as well. Dont' think all of these will be damn tough to address through the draft and don't just want to accept taking Deshea or Ty Carter back just because they are known entities cause we should definately be able to find upgrades.

On the offensive side of the ball we also need to think about 2010's stable of RB's.