PDA

View Full Version : PREDICT THE STEELERS FIRST THREE PICKS

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Alright Steeler Nation...Time to step out of ourselves and give the "fallback plan" which is the actual events that will take place from now until the end of Round 3 of the draft. We all have out mocks and what we hope the Steelers will do....Which we never get right. After the smoke clears and everyone else bites on the miss direction...What will the Steelers do. We know they keep their cards tight to their chest until it is time to lay one down.

Ryan Clark won't be back because I believe the money will go to keep Colon. "He's the worst OT in football!"...."I wouldn't pay him top OT money"...I can hear it now! But we know the Steelers will do whatever possible to keep a 26 year old OL who has been a starter since his rookie year...Over a starting 30 year old safety looking for 4 mil plus a year. With Colon locked up...That leaves only hole on the OL...But not for 2010. Two CBs drafted last year and a talented deep class to add depth. Deep DT class too. I want Spoon but the problem was in the secondary. Loosing Clark won't help even with the return of Troy. Mundy is servicable...That is all we know about him.

I know their mouths are watering. My stomach hurts because I got that feeling....I can see it like it already happened!!! The smoke clears...Colbert smiles as he spreads his cards out to see what he wants to play and....

"With the 18th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select...Taylor Mays S...University of Souther Cal."
We know it is coming. No Clark...Makes the most sense...To the Steelers.

"With the 52nd pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select...Brandon Spikes LB...University of Florida."
Slide...Slide...Slide...Right to the Steelers. First thing I thought of when he didn't run. That traditional 2nd round Steeler "Boom or Bust".

"With the 82nd pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select...Akwasi Owusu-Ansah CB...Indiana U of PA."
Backyard...Return guy...Haven't had a "Fuamatu-Ma'afala" in awhile.

I don't know if I should be happy or sick!!!

Oviedo
03-03-2010, 06:12 PM
I would change that to:

Rd 1: Taylor Mays, S
Rd 2: Brandon Spikes, LB
Rd 3: Amari Spievey, CB

I agree about Spikes, but my view is he is a much better football player than Larry Foote so move Timmons into Farrior's position and Spikes becomes the "new" Larry Foote. I think he would be very good in that role and better than Foote ever was.

AOA from IUP has a known shoulder injury that needs surgery. I don't think you need to burn a Round 3 pick to get him.

If he is the CB project you want then wait to get him in Round 4 and get Torrell Troup, NT from UCF in Round 3. Now that would be a very good first four picks.

NJ-STEELER
03-03-2010, 06:14 PM
let nostril
right nostril
earl thomas

Dee Dub
03-03-2010, 06:29 PM
1-Sean Weatherspoon ILB
2-Corey Wootten DT
3-Akwasi Owusu-Ansah CB

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Round 1 - Sean Weatherspoon ILB Missouri

Round 2 - Nate Allen FS S. Florida

Round 3 - Toby Gerhart RB Stanford

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-03-2010, 06:38 PM
I would change that to:

Rd 1: Taylor Mays, S
Rd 2: Brandon Spikes, LB
Rd 3: Amari Spievey, CB

I agree about Spikes, but my view is he is a much better football player than Larry Foote so move Timmons into Farrior's position and Spikes becomes the "new" Larry Foote. I think he would be very good in that role and better than Foote ever was.

AOA from IUP has a known shoulder injury that needs surgery. I don't think you need to burn a Round 3 pick to get him.

If he is the CB project you want then wait to get him in Round 4 and get Torrell Troup, NT from UCF in Round 3. Now that would be a very good first four picks.

He had the surgery and missed the Shrine game. If he didn't have the injury, he might be a 2nd round pick. Reports are he is not a project...Just hidden at a small school. He had an impressive combine. I only wish he played in the shrine. I picked him because he is a known product in the area. I believe I saw a piece on him on Sportsbeat last year. A gem like IKE??? I Do like the Spivey pick.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-03-2010, 06:40 PM
You guys are making me optimistic picking Spoon!!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-03-2010, 06:44 PM

That #3 is a Steelers pick....That's for sure. I say you nailed this posts purpose with Gerhart.

Dee Dub
03-03-2010, 06:53 PM

That #3 is a Steelers pick....That's for sure. I say you nailed this posts purpose with Gerhart.

I think San Diego is going to take Gerhart in the second round.

Discipline of Steel
03-03-2010, 07:02 PM
We will probably lose a G (Stapes), a RB (FWP), and two S (Clark and TC :tt1 ). There is a bit of a glut at G (although none are outstanding) so that doesnt leave us short. Please no more Samoan maulers. Safety is a big concern though and we cant afford to miss. For this reason, I select...

1-Earl Thomas

Im not as knowledgable on draft prospect as most, so I will scam someone elses thoughts on the second pick...

2-Brandon Spikes (hope he does slide)

Finally, FWP is prob out and we are short a real prospect at backup RB. One that could improve our tough running would be a big bonus. Art 2 has identified the running game as an area that needs improvement. So with that in mind, I select...

3-Toby Gerhart

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2010, 07:06 PM

thanks, i love hard-nosed guys like Gerhart...

Is Stanford’s Gerhart overlooked in the RB race?

Matt Bowen, The National Football Post

One problem with the combine hype that comes out of Indianapolis is that we tend to overlook certain players who had good, but not head-turning workouts.

Players like Stanford RB Toby Gerhart.

He may not be flashy, but Stanford RB Toby Gerhart should not be overlooked by teams on draft day.

Not a flashy player, and not a running back who is going to make you look twice after 40-times are posted like we saw with C.J. Spiller of Clemson and Jahvid Best of California. But, his workout was good enough. And for a player his size (6-1, 235), running the 40 in a time of 4.53 is impressive.

Gerhart is a downhill runner that does have an explosive enough first step to move through the hole and get to the second level on Sundays against NFL defenses. We tend to look past a guy like Gerhart due to the fact that he isn’t sexy and isn’t the type of NFL running back who can press the edge, plant and run past NFL defensive backs.

But, he is still a great pick in the middle rounds and could be the type of player that has staying power at the next level.

Although he wasn’t used prolifically at Stanford in terms of catching the ball out of the backfield, he does have the hands to get it done at the next level, along with the ability to pass protect — without a doubt the most challenging aspect of the NFL game for rookie backs.

Think of where he fits. Teams that utilize the downhill power game and teams that spend the first week of training camp perfecting the basic off-tackle running game — because that is how they move the ball. Can you see Gerhart coming downhill in the Lead Strong and the Lead Open? What about Seattle, San Diego or Pittsburgh? I could see him in any of these three backfields as a rookie.

I can, just as I can see him thriving in an offense where he plays a role that gives him five to 10 carries a game behind a No. 1 back.

NFP scout Wes Bunting has Gerhart ranked as the eighth running back prospect among rookies. I think it is a fair grade, but if I am in need of a rookie back — and have other needs in the first two rounds — I keep Gerhart high up on the draft board come April.

And, hope to steal him in the third round.

steelerkeylargo
03-03-2010, 07:35 PM
1) Weatherspoon
2) Vlad Ducasse
3) Best CB on their Board

birtikidis
03-03-2010, 07:38 PM
We will probably lose a G (Stapes), a RB (FWP), and two S (Clark and TC :tt1 ). There is a bit of a glut at G (although none are outstanding) so that doesnt leave us short. Please no more Samoan maulers. Safety is a big concern though and we cant afford to miss. For this reason, I select...

1-Earl Thomas

Im not as knowledgable on draft prospect as most, so I will scam someone elses thoughts on the second pick...

2-Brandon Spikes (hope he does slide)

Finally, FWP is prob out and we are short a real prospect at backup RB. One that could improve our tough running would be a big bonus. Art 2 has identified the running game as an area that needs improvement. So with that in mind, I select...

3-Toby Gerhart
i concur
and would be happy

Lebsteel
03-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Spoon, Odrick, Thomas.....hmmmm.....I'd be happy with any of those three, plus I would love to get Gerhart in Rd. 3, but I don't think he will be there when we pick. I'm not really sure about Sean Lee still being there either, but I think we definitely need someone to replace Farrior. I'd go with Chad Jones in Rd. 2, but I can't get over the the Bench Press debacle.

1) Jared Odrick DE
2) Nate Allen FS
3) Sean Lee ILB

SteelCzar76
03-03-2010, 09:56 PM
I'll just say that i'd like for it at this point to be,....

1. Taylor Mays FS
2. Corey Wootton DT
4. Micah Johnson ILB

But it will likely be something that i'll despise (at least in round one. lol) like,..

1. Mike Iupati
2. Toby Gerhart RB
3. Jerome Murphy CB

feltdizz
03-03-2010, 10:02 PM
No one is overlooking the first white RB to almost wn the Heisman since Army and ND were powerhouses. He will not make it past the 2nd. Dude is a beast.

I think the question with Gerhart is durability. Like Tebow, Gerhart isn't running around defenders.. he runs through them. You can't run through NFL defenses for long unless you have the footwork to make them miss as well.

My question to the "draft Gerhart" fans. WTF are you guys smoking? Where does he fit in? What part of Steeler football does Gerhart represent? The new Steelers or the old Steelers?

I love the kid too and if we were smashmouth, needed a big RB or if it was 1987 I would be on board. I don't see where he fits on our O... Mend is our 3rd down and short yardage back.

SteelCzar76
03-03-2010, 10:59 PM
No one is overlooking the first white RB to almost wn the Heisman since Army and ND were powerhouses. He will not make it past the 2nd. Dude is a beast.

I think the question with Gerhart is durability. Like Tebow, Gerhart isn't running around defenders.. he runs through them. You can't run through NFL defenses for long unless you have the footwork to make them miss as well.

My question to the "draft Gerhart" fans. WTF are you guys smoking? Where does he fit in? What part of Steeler football does Gerhart represent? The new Steelers or the old Steelers?

I love the kid too and if we were smashmouth, needed a big RB or if it was 1987 I would be on board. I don't see where he fits on our O... Mend is our 3rd down and short yardage back.

Gerhart is actually far more talented than most give him credit for,...he's a true between the the tackles "throwback" runner. He's been exceptionally productive as such at EVERY level of football throughout his life. I don't dislike like Mendenhall,...but to be honest the kid does a considerable amount of "B button Elton John Tiny Dancing" for a 3rd down, between the tackles, short yardage back. LOL

Chadman
03-03-2010, 11:27 PM
kid does a considerable amount of "B button Elton John Tiny Dancing"

Hold me closer Tony Danza...

feltdizz
03-03-2010, 11:33 PM
I'll be honest.. I never heard of Tony Gerhart before the second half of the season his last year. I watch a ton of college football and I heard nothing about this guy.

When I saw him I was impressed... dude is a monster.

I don't think he fits into what we do though.

Chadman
03-03-2010, 11:35 PM
If what you guys want is a short yardage 'pounder', but don't want to pay 2nd round prices, why not look at Kentucky FB John Conner?

When not fighting Terminators, he's a classic 'throwback' FB- catches, runs, blocks- and all at about Jerome Bettis' size.

Dual benefit- you can put him on the field at the same time as Rashard Mendenhall- just play him at FB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AW4bEzi9A

Lebsteel
03-04-2010, 12:45 AM

Chadman is a "Friends" fan!

Chadman
03-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Round 1- FS Earl Thomas

Round 2- LB Eric Norwood

Round 3- C Matt Tennant

Chadman
03-04-2010, 02:29 AM

And by knowing that- you expose yourself to the same label.. :D

Actually though, it's reported that this is one of the most mis-quoted songs of all time.

Lebsteel
03-04-2010, 09:38 AM

And by knowing that- you expose yourself to the same label.. :D

Actually though, it's reported that this is one of the most mis-quoted songs of all time.
Yes, that line is a classic. I really enjoyed watching Phoebe, Ross, Joey and the others! But, back to more manly topics, like the Steelers: I agree with the need to grab a LB in Rd. 2 or 3, but just wondering why you would take Norwood in Rd. 2 over Sean Lee, Jerry Hughes, Koa Misi and even Thad Gibson?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-04-2010, 11:01 AM
I'll just say that i'd like for it at this point to be,....

1. Taylor Mays FS
2. Corey Wootton DT
4. Micah Johnson ILB

But it will likely be something that i'll despise (at least in round one. lol) like,..

1. Mike Iupati
2. Toby Gerhart RB
3. Jerome Murphy CB

That's the purpose of this topic. We all have our mocks and love certain guys but the reality sets in and the Steelers draft is on paper. Painfully, your Iupati, Gerhart, Murphy does look like a Steeler draft....Ouch!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-04-2010, 11:11 AM
If what you guys want is a short yardage 'pounder', but don't want to pay 2nd round prices, why not look at Kentucky FB John Conner?

When not fighting Terminators, he's a classic 'throwback' FB- catches, runs, blocks- and all at about Jerome Bettis' size.

Dual benefit- you can put him on the field at the same time as Rashard Mendenhall- just play him at FB.

I agree Chadman. I had Conner in some of my earlier mocks in the 7th. I dropped him because I thought we could get him as an UDFA. His Senior Bowl & Combine has given him draft consideration. Would love to see him here.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-04-2010, 11:22 AM
let nostril
right nostril
earl thomas

I would rather Thomas over Mays. Spoon is my first pick. I actually have several others before Mays. This is just your feeling of how it is all going to go down. I think Thomas comes off the board before the Steelers pick. May's "Questions" causes him to fall. With Clark gone, he is the best S on the board and the Steelers will be surprised he is there.

steelblood
03-04-2010, 01:20 PM
I don't get Taylor Mays as a FS. I've watched him play a lot and I don't see how folks could see him as an effective FS in the pros. Now, as an in-the-box SS or 4-3 OLB, I think he could be very good.

What I think the Steelers will do...

1. Weatherspoon
2. Matt Tennant
3. Jerome Murphy

What I would do...

1. Find a way to get Earl Thomas (even if we have to trade up a bit).
2. Best Corner available
3. LB or OL (if we don't have to trade the pick to get Thomas)

ramblinjim
03-04-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm not as good at this as many of the folks on here but here is my stab at the first three picks.

1.) Odrick - He and Ziggy could team up at DE's in the 3-4 or DT's in the 4-3 for years to come.

2.) Spikes, ILB - He may not fall to us in the second but if he's there he's a big boy with some speed. If not him, maybe that Washington kid from TCU?

3.) Walton, C - We need one, just not immediately and this guy looked pretty good last year.

ramblinjim
03-04-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm not as good at this as many of the folks on here but here is my stab at the first three picks.

1.) Odrick - He and Ziggy could team up at DE's in the 3-4 or DT's in the 4-3 for years to come.

2.) Spikes, ILB - He may not fall to us in the second but if he's there he's a big boy with some speed. If not him, maybe that Washington kid from TCU?

3.) Walton, C - We need one, just not immediately and this guy looked pretty good last year.

Could possibly also try to pick up Troup in the 3rd, we'd have our entire starting Dline set for years to come if everything worked out right.

Dee Dub
03-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I'll be honest.. I never heard of Tony Gerhart before the second half of the season his last year. I watch a ton of college football and I heard nothing about this guy.

No not true. I was talking him up on the Trib two years ago. And if after you saw him you don’t think he fits what the Steelers do then it probably didn’t matter if you had heard about him our not… :wink:

He is the prototypical Steeler RB. Believe it.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-04-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't get Taylor Mays as a FS. I've watched him play a lot and I don't see how folks could see him as an effective FS in the pros. Now, as an in-the-box SS or 4-3 OLB, I think he could be very good.

1. Weatherspoon
2. Matt Tennant
3. Jerome Murphy

What I would do...

2. Best Corner available

I would agree Mays might be better suited for SS because of his run support ability and closing speed going forward. But having him in the box and asking him to bail on a pass, plays right into his fault. His average hips combined with his explosiveness & straight line speed might actually make him better playing form the FS spot in the Steelers defense. He can run support from there and give you great range from his CF spot. Watching him at the combine, I could make this comparison. Mays might be as fluid as Clark in changing direction. Mays is a big hitter like Clark but Mays has far more range than Clark. That being said, Clark has a better nose for the ball. There is upside for Mays...But that is the gamble. As far as OLB in the pros...Mays won't start there for years and may never see 1 start. He can not take on OT at the point of attack. He is not built for that. Height-weight doesn't mean a thing. Mays will get hooked by TEs and driven into the "nickel seats" when they run at him. Mays would have to put years in the weight room on his lower body to even compete. That will take speed off and that is too much of a project.

This is not about who we want...Just how we think things will go down. I have several players I would rather than Mays. I would like Thomas over Mays if I had to choose. My first choice is Spoon. This is just how I see the first three picks going down now after the combine and with Clark moving on. I think the Steelers feel Mundy is servicable enough for them to take this shot. Not what I want to see...

SteelAbility
03-04-2010, 05:47 PM

BA will never allow that. :moon

Shawn
03-04-2010, 05:51 PM

1. Weatherspoon
2. Matt Tennant
3. Jerome Murphy

What I would do...

2. Best Corner available

I would agree Mays might be better suited for SS because of his run support ability and closing speed going forward. But having him in the box and asking him to bail on a pass, plays right into his fault. His average hips combined with his explosiveness & straight line speed might actually make him better playing form the FS spot in the Steelers defense. He can run support from there and give you great range from his CF spot. Watching him at the combine, I could make this comparison. Mays might be as fluid as Clark in changing direction. Mays is a big hitter like Clark but Mays has far more range than Clark. That being said, Clark has a better nose for the ball. There is upside for Mays...But that is the gamble. As far as OLB in the pros...Mays won't start there for years and may never see 1 start. He can not take on OT at the point of attack. He is not built for that. Height-weight doesn't mean a thing. Mays will get hooked by TEs and driven into the "nickel seats" when they run at him. Mays would have to put years in the weight room on his lower body to even compete. That will take speed off and that is too much of a project.

This is not about who we want...Just how we think things will go down. I have several players I would rather than Mays. I would like Thomas over Mays if I had to choose. My first choice is Spoon. This is just how I see the first three picks going down now after the combine and with Clark moving on. I think the Steelers feel Mundy is servicable enough for them to take this shot. Not what I want to see...

Being that the strong safety lines up on the strong side and has to run support and blitz like a linebacker I would agree with you. That's what Mays does well...that's where he excells.

Oviedo
03-04-2010, 05:52 PM

There is a FB just waiting for us to pick him up...Owen Schmitt.