PDA

View Full Version : Colon's Agent Wanting A Trade Offer

Jooser
03-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I suppose this sends some signals that our starting right tackle wasn't too thrilled with his one year deal that he received...or is this just delusional thinking on the part of his agent? Thoughts?

PFT: Colon's agent hopes to catch a whiff of a trade

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 3, 2010 10:23 AM ET
We noted yesterday that it wouldn't be that crazy for a team to consider giving up a first-round pick to sign restricted free agent Willie Colon away from the Steelers.

Colon's agent, Joe Linta, unsurprisingly agrees.

"We really don't know if he fits in their [long-term] plans," Linta told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "If you have the fifteenth pick and you need a starting offensive lineman, why wouldn't you do it [make a trade]? You hope your draft pick is good. With Willie, you know what you're getting."

Linta calls Colon the best young right tackle in football. While that notion may seem a little wacky, he's got some numbers to back it up.

We don't expect Colon to sign an offer sheet elsewhere, but he's one of the few quality restricted free agent quality starters that could legitimately draw interest.

Oviedo
03-03-2010, 01:09 PM
People in you know where want water too.

I would be totally OK with someone signing Colon and us getting a Round 1 pick.

MeetJoeGreene
03-03-2010, 01:09 PM
I would take a mid-20s pick in a heartbeat for Willie.

Dee Dub
03-03-2010, 01:22 PM
I would take a mid-20s pick in a heartbeat for Willie.

Yeah me too?

Let's see Willie Colon on one hand......and Sean Weatherspoon and Jared Odrick on the other?? Hmmmmmm?

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2010, 01:34 PM
delusional thinking by the agent...he's been smoking the same thing that Ryan Clark's agent has been smoking, must be some good stuff!

NW Steeler
03-03-2010, 01:36 PM
No doubt, I would take that swap. I would crap a purple kitten if someone signed Colon. Posturing to be sure. Another reason why I think they may be looking for a RT in free agency or the draft.

birtikidis
03-03-2010, 01:38 PM
He's in the same position as hampton.
Colon doesn't want to go in this year with a one year contract because if there's a lockout then he's screwed.

Oviedo
03-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Colon doesn't want to go in this year with a one year contract because if there's a lockout then he's screwed.

Then you sign a long term contract for less than market value to get the financial security you want. Trade off guaranteed dollars for taking less. It is all about guaranteed dolloars not total value.

Clark can do the same. The problem occurs when you look at what everyone else makes and want "fair." The world isn't "fair" get over it.

birtikidis
03-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Then you sign a long term contract for less than market value to get the financial security you want. Trade off guaranteed dollars for taking less. It is all about guaranteed dolloars not total value.

Clark can do the same. The problem occurs when you look at what everyone else makes and want "fair." The world isn't "fair" get over it.
well colon is trying to get all the leverage he can. he'll do the same thing as casey, he won't agree to a deal till the last minute.

NW Steeler
03-03-2010, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't give Colon anywhere near top T money. He is a mid-level player at best.

ANPSTEEL
03-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't give Colon anywhere near top T money. He is a mid-level player at best.

Yeah, but it is hard to blame him when you look at the heist Starks pulled on the team.

It is a reality in the world that paying attention to "what the other guy got" will only lead you to frustration-

but man, it would be hard to ignore those kind of dollars- particularly when you beat out that same player for his position.

Dee Dub
03-03-2010, 03:43 PM
delusional thinking by the agent...he's been smoking the same thing that Ryan Clark's agent has been smoking, must be some good stuff!

I dont agree. He's actually right. The San Diego Chargers are in desperate need of a tackle. At ,#28 what do you think they are going to get?? A sure thing? Not hardly. Signing a descent starting RT (A super Bowl Champion RT), for that amount of money is a sure thing and a smart one as well.

I said this very thing could happen a few weeks ago.

BigRob
03-03-2010, 04:04 PM

According to this website (a very good website) and the stats, Colon is one of the top tackles in the league and the top RT in the league.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_posi ... numgames=1 (http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1)

Why people consistently undervalue Colon is beyond me. Who is going to replace him if he is signed somewhere else? You would have to look at drafting a tackle early and that would defeat the purpose of an extra first round pick in my mind.

The smart move is to tender him for the next two years and then franchise him. That way he is under contract for three years at a very good price. He would then come around to signing a long-term deal once he realizes he has very little leverage.

A sleeper team to look at is the Patriots. They have a ton of picks and Belicheat has said previously how much he likes colon (hehe).

steelblood
03-03-2010, 04:49 PM

According to this website (a very good website) and the stats, Colon is one of the top tackles in the league and the top RT in the league.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_posi ... numgames=1 (http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1)

Why people consistently undervalue Colon is beyond me. Who is going to replace him if he is signed somewhere else? You would have to look at drafting a tackle early and that would defeat the purpose of an extra first round pick in my mind.

The smart move is to tender him for the next two years and then franchise him. That way he is under contract for three years at a very good price. He would then come around to signing a long-term deal once he realizes he has very little leverage.

A sleeper team to look at is the Patriots. They have a ton of picks and Belicheat has said previously how much he likes colon (hehe).

Profootballfocus an unbiased website brought to you by the agent of Willie Colon.

ANPSTEEL
03-03-2010, 04:53 PM

Profootballfocus an unbiased website brought to you by the agent of Willie Colon.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SS Laser
03-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Man I don't know if I trust them stats much? Logan is 1 in on his list. Wood and silverback 1 & 3. The WR list is interesting. And our Guards and center stink! HAHA!

Oh and of course the corners stink! Ike taylor is the man LOL!

D Rock
03-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Can Ramon Foster be a quality RT? If the team thinks he can then letting Colon leave for a first is a no-brainer.

Jom112
03-03-2010, 05:23 PM

Profootballfocus also said Dennis Roland is a good pass protector, yet LaMarr Woodley and others treated him like a turnstile...

NJ-STEELER
03-03-2010, 05:24 PM
essex has filled in at LTand looked okay and he's was dressed (before starting at RG) as a sub for both OT spots.

would there really be any falloff from willie?

chit, i think i'd take a high 2nd rounder for colon

Discipline of Steel
03-03-2010, 11:49 PM
The 23.1 rating on pass protection is suspect since everyone else is at least 5 points behind. But if the stats are to be trusted, he did keep Ben clean. 16 sacks/hits/pressures in over 1000 snaps looks like one of the best averages in the NFL. No idea what the run ratings were based on...

Honestly, Colon blows lard butt Essex away. Trai Essex at RT would signal that our Oline is in disarray.

papillon
03-04-2010, 01:40 AM
I think the Steelers will match any offer rather than take a draft pick, but they wanted to try and secure Willie's services for one year on the cheap. It may not work, only time will tell.

The Steelers really don't have anyone waiting in the wings. I guess Essex and Foster by default, unless, Hills has shown more than the Steelers have let on and kept him hidden on the practice squad to get reps. I doubt it, but it is a possibility.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2010, 02:02 AM
I think the Steelers will match any offer rather than take a draft pick, but they wanted to try and secure Willie's services for one year on the cheap. It may not work, only time will tell.

The Steelers really don't have anyone waiting in the wings. I guess Essex and Foster by default, unless, Hills has shown more than the Steelers have let on and kept him hidden on the practice squad to get reps. I doubt it, but it is a possibility.

Pappy

:Agree I believe it is the Steelers intent to match any sane offer Colon receives.

If another team would like to do the negotiating for the Steelers and sign Colon to a long-term contract that the Steelers can match then that would be wonderful.

If Colon receives a contract offer that is ridiculous (Colon is not a LT, he is only a RT and RTs usually don't get ridiculous offers) and we choose not to match, a 1st round draft choice sounds like fair compensation to me.

As for Hills, I have yet to see one single thing from him that leads me to think he can help us. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers draft an OT to give Hills some competition for the back-up OT position.

pittpete
03-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Dont know which site is more accurate, but I have a link that says good ole Willie gave up 9 sacks,along with 6 penalties/-4 pre-snap.
http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats. ... 80&team=23 (http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7880&team=23)

flippy
03-04-2010, 06:22 PM
If we got another #1, maybe we could seriously trade up to snag Eric Berry.

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2010, 06:32 PM

If we got another #1, I would love to take 2 of the following 3 players:

Sean Weatherspoon, Earl Thomas, Jared Odrick

Lebsteel
03-04-2010, 06:36 PM

I'd give up Willie in a second to get two of those three!

Discipline of Steel
03-04-2010, 07:47 PM

So what you are saying is you would give up our Super Bowl winning RT for one of those three prospects because we already get one of them without giving up Willie. So who do we have thats waiting to take over at RT?

NW Steeler
03-04-2010, 08:25 PM

So what you are saying is you would give up our Super Bowl winning RT for one of those three prospects because we already get one of them without giving up Willie. So who do we have thats waiting to take over at RT?

I think I would refer to Willie as a RT that won a Super Bowl, not a Super Bowl winning RT.

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2010, 08:36 PM

RTs are a lot easier to find than LTs, remember that we drafted Willie Colon in the 4th round. I would gladly take a first round draft choice for Colon and then look to draft an OT to replace Colon in Rounds 2 or 3.

In the interim let Essex, Hills and Foster battle it out for the RT spot and/or sign a stop-gap RT in free agency.