PDA

View Full Version : John Lott, what a tool.

steelblood
03-03-2010, 11:18 AM
During the D-linemen bench, Brian Billick remarked, "I'm waiting for one of these guys to reach up and grab John Lott by the throat."

For anyone who has watched the combine for the last few years, you've undoubtedly seen the egomaniacal strength coach from the Arizona Cardinals preside over the bench press. He wears cheesy motivational t-shirts, chastises any player that takes his eyes off of him while he is talking before the lifting begins, spits all over the kids when he yells to motivate them, comes up with sometimes funny, often insulting, nicknames for each player, and then awkwardly tries to embrace each player and whisper in their ears when they finish. He reminds me of a frat pledge master drunk on his own power.

anger 82&95
03-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Or an ex high school jock turned rec. center coach in dire need of a existential wake up call.

MeetJoeGreene
03-03-2010, 01:12 PM
At first it was novel and endearing.. but then he started overdoing it. Now it is over the top stupid.

Dee Dub
03-03-2010, 01:28 PM
I think he serves a purpose..and he does exactly what the teams/NFL wants him to do. If you are going to shell out millions of dollars dont you want to see a players character?

And if you cant take that how are you going to react on the field at practice? You think all coaches are all soft, all nice, all the time? Think not!

JTP53609
03-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I think he serves a purpose..and he does exactly what the teams/NFL wants him to do. If you are going to shell out millions of dollars dont you want to see a players character?

And if you cant take that how are you going to react on the field at practice? You think all coaches are all soft, all nice, all the time? Think not!

I hope they are not all nice, but I am starting to think that some coaches look at their players as thier friends not players, not all but some, of course I am just looking from what I see on the field I am not in the locker rooms

steelblood
03-03-2010, 02:54 PM

Plenty of the on field coaches command the players respect and apply pressure without acting like a jacka$$. Also, I don't like the contradiction between trying to put them on edge and then trying to hug and kiss them at the end. He just looks like a fool.

Dee Dub
03-03-2010, 03:01 PM

Plenty of the on field coaches command the players respect and apply pressure without acting like a jacka$$. Also, I don't like the contradiction between trying to put them on edge and then trying to hug and kiss them at the end. He just looks like a fool.

Break them down..and then build them up. It is a great way to check a mans charcacter. See: The Military.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-03-2010, 03:06 PM
i'm starting to wonder what's wrong with this world that we find a reason to dislike almost anybody.

If I was in THAT room and THAT dude was yelling give me one more rep... I'd do it.

Can't we just appreciate that his job is to fire them up... and that he does it...

steelblood
03-03-2010, 03:07 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":215yinfm]I think he serves a purpose..and he does exactly what the teams/NFL wants him to do. If you are going to shell out millions of dollars dont you want to see a players character?

Break them down..and then build them up. It is a great way to check a mans charcacter. See: The Military.[/quote:215yinfm]

Seriously? I think you are overestimating what can be accomplished during one drill at the combine. Dude is all about himself.

ANPSTEEL
03-03-2010, 03:35 PM
i'm starting to wonder what's wrong with this world that we find a reason to dislike almost anybody.

yeah, well, if your name were SteelerOfDe'Cuse- I'd like you a lot better.

:lol:

payback on Sat- although you guys have had the Orange's # for a while now.

steelblood
03-03-2010, 04:40 PM

If I was in THAT room and THAT dude was yelling give me one more rep... I'd do it.

Can't we just appreciate that his job is to fire them up... and that he does it...

I'm not talking about someone simply yelling to motivate the men.

It is not as if no one has never found this guy to be over-the-top.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-03-2010, 04:59 PM

lol... we need this one... he's been telling they team they needed 11 conf wins to get in the tourney... plus it's the last game at freedom hall... and its against #1... the crowd will be electric... the TEAM is the only one who has a tendency to not show in situations like this - lol.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-03-2010, 05:00 PM

my bad... i didn't realize you knew what his intent was...
:stirpot

steelblood
03-03-2010, 05:08 PM

ha ha. Obviously, he is trying to do more than simply motivate them. He is trying to get in their heads. Whether he is doing it to test them or break them down as Dee Dub suggests or because he is a jerk, I can't say for sure. But, I'll see if I can tune into his thoughts and read his mind. :)

Shawn
03-03-2010, 05:13 PM
A guy you have to yell at to motivate isn't a guy I wan't on the Steelers. Do you believe you would have to yell at Ward, Troy, Ben, Woodley...etc. You risk your life if you yell at Harrison. I'm not big on the yelling for performance thing...these are grown men. If they can't motivate themselves then don't draft em.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-03-2010, 05:29 PM

ha ha. Obviously, he is trying to do more than simply motivate them. He is trying to get in their heads. Whether he is doing it to test them or break them down as Dee Dub suggests or because he is a jerk, I can't say for sure. But, I'll see if I can tune into his thoughts and read his mind. :)
you know, i couldn't resist that... but, seriously, if your job for this week was to stand there while 50 men a day lift weights - which, btw happens to be your job. i don't think *i* sit there idle with a notepad

hell, I might be worse than that dude... I'm sure I'd have a few nicknames for them.... and having been in football weight rooms, i know that typically our spotter almost always tried to get "one more" out of us..

cruzer8
03-03-2010, 05:33 PM
I like him and think he does a great job.

He's like a drill sergeant pushing them and pushing them. Then when it's all over he shows that he really cares about them.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-03-2010, 05:35 PM
A guy you have to yell at to motivate isn't a guy I wan't on the Steelers. Do you believe you would have to yell at Ward, Troy, Ben, Woodley...etc. You risk your life if you yell at Harrison. I'm not big on the yelling for performance thing...these are grown men. If they can't motivate themselves then don't draft em.
you ever go to the gym and have a day where you're like, "meh... i know it's 3 sets of 10... i did 2 full sets, i'm on the 3rd set and i'm just not feeling like doing this... i'm stopping at 8." i know i have.

i really don't care if it's Dungy style or Cowher style but, someone saying, "you can do one more - give it a try" would makes a difference... you go from "i'm not sure if i can do one more" to "ok, he's spotting me, im good" to "damn, i got 3 reps more than i thought i had left"...

NJ-STEELER
03-03-2010, 05:37 PM
i like him

makes the boring monotony watchable

JTP53609
03-04-2010, 09:21 AM
These guys should not need a motivator at their job interview, but just becaue he is there does not make him a jerk..

having said that, I have no idea who this guy is bc I dont watch the combine, partly because I dont get home to watch tv during the weekdays, but also because I dont see the big fuss over watching guys run a 40 in tight under armor shorts and shirts, or care to see what someone benches, It is nice to have an idea but my goodness, to drop someone 20 picks up or down because of it is kind of ridiculous IMO, they dont even do football moves but bc they had a good workout they move up. And qb's they are wearing shorts and a shirt and throwing a ball, what do you see there that you did not see in game film with actual pass rushing, moving, stepping up....I know I will be blasted, but that is just my opinon, sometimes the media loves to blow things up and make them look really really important...i say have them run a 40 after they run a mile or something that maks them fatigue, because there will be no 4.28's in the fourth qtr whent he game is on the line, especially with pads, and gatorade and cuts/scrapes all over you..

feltdizz
03-04-2010, 11:18 AM

here you go again... :D

its football, coaches yell.... and although Tony Dungy didn't yell, others on his staff did. It would be really odd to go into an NFL weight room and hear nothing.

I think all these guys yell or get yelled at in the weight room... its not pilates and yoga mats with ocean wave CD's.

steelblood
03-04-2010, 12:30 PM

you know, i couldn't resist that... but, seriously, if your job for this week was to stand there while 50 men a day lift weights - which, btw happens to be your job. i don't think *i* sit there idle with a notepad

hell, I might be worse than that dude... I'm sure I'd have a few nicknames for them.... and having been in football weight rooms, i know that typically our spotter almost always tried to get "one more" out of us..

Yeah, I get the motivation part. I played 2 sports in high school and had plenty of coaches yelling at me. I appreciated what most of them were doing. I also understand that you want to get pumped up in the weight room.

I'm not objecting to him yelling to motivate. I just don't like his style. I don't like the way he talks down to them like they are beneath him and then tries to hug them and whisper in their ears at the end. If you watch the players reactions, many of them are uncomfortable with him hugging them and try to extricate themselves while he is still whispering to them.

Shawn
03-04-2010, 05:08 PM
you ever go to the gym and have a day where you're like, "meh... i know it's 3 sets of 10... i did 2 full sets, i'm on the 3rd set and i'm just not feeling like doing this... i'm stopping at 8." i know i have.

i really don't care if it's Dungy style or Cowher style but, someone saying, "you can do one more - give it a try" would makes a difference... you go from "i'm not sure if i can do one more" to "ok, he's spotting me, im good" to "damn, i got 3 reps more than i thought i had left"...

Sure...but that's why I work out with someone. Teammates should help and motivate each other. While Dizz thinks it's necessary...I do not. I have never needed anyone to yell at me to motivate me. I motivate myself. Yelling doesn't bring the best out in me...just makes me want to slap the individual. No one has to yell at the winners on our team...and those are the kind of guys I want to draft. While Im sure some guys do need it...we don't need to draft guys that are not self motivators. Just my 2 cents.

feltdizz
03-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Shawn... you are a doctor or MD if I'm not mistaken. I'm a graphic designer... I don't respond well to screaming either because it's not needed.

Why do fans always talk about their job being relative to the fame of football when we know damn well it's not? LOL...

There are no football whisperers in weight rooms.

Who are the winners on our team and why don't they need motivation? Hines doesn't yell? Ben doesn't yell? Do our winners roll their eyes when Ben is giving a motivational speech? Don't give our winners too much credit... Holmes smokes trees, Ben has a bogus rape charge, Harrison beat up his baby momma and Hines called out Ben on national TV.

The last thing you need to do is try to talk for our winners and assume they are too good to need a push every once and a while. I'm not saying it's necessary to scream to get a few more reps out of a guy but it's done in most if not all weight rooms in the NFL. Trying to get that last rep with a soft affirmation would turn me off more then someone trying to push me with a yell or 2.

cruzer8
03-04-2010, 07:36 PM
It's apparent some folks here don't spend too much time in the weight room.

JTP53609
03-05-2010, 11:10 AM
i go to the gym every day, and I sometimes I will ask for an occasional spot, I understand the motivation but sometimes there are people that can be dramatic in the weight room...

Shawn
03-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Shawn... you are a doctor or MD if I'm not mistaken. I'm a graphic designer... I don't respond well to screaming either because it's not needed.

Why do fans always talk about their job being relative to the fame of football when we know damn well it's not? LOL...

Who are the winners on our team and why don't they need motivation? Hines doesn't yell? Ben doesn't yell? Do our winners roll their eyes when Ben is giving a motivational speech? Don't give our winners too much credit... Holmes smokes trees, Ben has a bogus rape charge, Harrison beat up his baby momma and Hines called out Ben on national TV.

The last thing you need to do is try to talk for our winners and assume they are too good to need a push every once and a while. I'm not saying it's necessary to scream to get a few more reps out of a guy but it's done in most if not all weight rooms in the NFL. Trying to get that last rep with a soft affirmation would turn me off more then someone trying to push me with a yell or 2.

Human psychology is human psychology. I know more about yelling than many people. I grew up being coached by my dad...same method...in my face. Also, residency is no trp in the park. Being publically berated by an attending after a 31 hour shift broke many a resident. I have dealt with these imperfect antiquated methods nearly all my life. I don't claim to have the fame of Ben. I do know that what I do everyday is life or death. I don't think any of the yelling made me more equiped to handle these difficult and stressful situations.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-05-2010, 09:34 PM

here you go again... :D

its football, coaches yell.... and although Tony Dungy didn't yell, others on his staff did. It would be really odd to go into an NFL weight room and hear nothing.

I think all these guys yell or get yelled at in the weight room... its not pilates and yoga mats with ocean wave CD's.

If it were 50 Troy's on your roster the weight room would smell like incense with some kind of tibetan flute music playing and there would be little mats laying on the ground with those little tiny rubber coated dumbells you see chicks jumping around with. All the lifters would first meditate on the mats for half the session, then balance while standing on huge medicine balls doing curls with their little weights. You wouldn't here a human produced sound other than the flutes the entire session.... :lol:

feltdizz
03-07-2010, 12:28 PM

Human psychology is human psychology. I know more about yelling than many people. I grew up being coached by my dad...same method...in my face. Also, residency is no trp in the park. Being publically berated by an attending after a 31 hour shift broke many a resident. I have dealt with these imperfect antiquated methods nearly all my life. I don't claim to have the fame of Ben. I do know that what I do everyday is life or death. I don't think any of the yelling made me more equiped to handle these difficult and stressful situations.

FOOTBALL!!!

this story was about football players weightlifting.

SteelerOfDeVille
03-08-2010, 03:18 PM

lol... we need this one... he's been telling they team they needed 11 conf wins to get in the tourney... plus it's the last game at freedom hall... and its against #1... the crowd will be electric... the TEAM is the only one who has a tendency to not show in situations like this - lol.
no comment... :P :evil:

ANPSTEEL
03-08-2010, 03:34 PM

nah, missed your post. but not the game.

I wasn't terribly surprised- Louisville has beaten them pretty regularly for the last few years. Pitino knows how to prepare his guys for the zone... in part because they switch to it on occasion. That, and when you you launch 40 3s in a game. ;)

Your boys started hitting those 3s in the second half. Every time syracuse would climb back- Kuric or Sosa would nail one.

That, and the 'cuse couldn't buy a frikin' layup the last 5 minutes.

btw: what the heck was with your #3 guy off the bench lighting it up?!?
Whatever he does for the rest of his life, he's never going to forget that game!

wow-

Glad you guys are going to make the 64. Love to see the BE represent- particularly after all the teams beat up on each other.

Maybe we'll see you again in MSG.

:Cheers

SteelerOfDeVille
03-08-2010, 03:42 PM

nah, missed your post. but not the game.

I wasn't terribly surprised- Louisville has beaten them pretty regularly for the last few years. Pitino knows how to prepare his guys for the zone... in part because they switch to it on occasion. That, and when you you launch 40 3s in a game. ;)

Your boys started hitting those 3s in the second half. Every time syracuse would climb back- Kuric or Sosa would nail one.

That, and the 'cuse couldn't buy a frikin' layup the last 5 minutes.

btw: what the heck was with your #3 guy off the bench lighting it up?!?
Whatever he does for the rest of his life, he's never going to forget that game!

wow-

Glad you guys are going to make the 64. Love to see the BE represent- particularly after all the teams beat up on each other.

Maybe we'll see you again in MSG.

:Cheers
I thnk it's amusing how often the "national" commentators mess up and nobody (except the fans of the team they're talkign about) realize they messed up.

Right after they pointed out Jerry Smith's thumb injury, they said, "no need to guard Kuric... he's not a good shooter." I thought WTF are they talking about??? His problem is that he IS a good shooter, but, he's afraid to shoot. All year long, I'd been telling my wifey that he reminded me of a (more timid) Rex Chapman (former UK player)... even kinda resembles him to me.

I don't see this team winning more than one game in the NCAA tourney, though. OTOH, I'd be surpised if your team didn't win at least 3 .