PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays is crazy fast!

Lebsteel
03-02-2010, 12:51 PM
We all knew he would be fast, but 4.24, WOW!! That ties Chris Johnson for the fastest 40 time at the combine. Let's see if it holds up, since other times have been adjusted up. The dude is a beast!! Should we draft him? With those measurables, he is destined to be a "Raida"!

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010-nfl-combine-results-defensive-backs/

steelernation77
03-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't think Mays drops to us with his forty time but at least him moving up could push some talent farther down

Jom112
03-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm think the Raiders are not letting this guy out of the top 10.

Mays in the 1st, followed by Bruce Campbell in the 2nd, followed by Trinton Holliday in the 3rd for them... :lol:

Dee Dub
03-02-2010, 01:02 PM
We all knew he would be fast, but 4.24, WOW!! That ties Chris Johnson for the fastest 40 time at the combine. Let's see if it holds up, since other times have been adjusted up. The dude is a beast!! Should we draft him? With those measurables, he is destined to be a "Raida"!

I'm not surprized. He was clocked last year at 4.27 so I knew he was going sub 4.3.

Jom112
03-02-2010, 01:04 PM

I'm not surprized. He was clocked last year at 4.27 so I knew he was going sub 4.3.

I heard all those stories but you figured some exaggeration was thrown in there because he's 230 freakin pounds.

Still can't believe he ran that fast. Should be interesting to see what the official time is for him...

calmkiller
03-02-2010, 01:05 PM
I just saw that. It was crazy! Deion was like a what? he may run a 4.1.

Oviedo
03-02-2010, 01:12 PM
If he is at #18 no way do you pass on him unless you are going to take CJ Spiller instead.

Lebsteel
03-02-2010, 01:27 PM

He is very impressive and I'm sure he worked his butt off training for the combine given his other measurables are also off the charts for a safety. If Thomas (who just ran a 4.44), Mays and Odrick are there at 18, who do you take, DD? I still like Thomas or Odrick, but Mays is a true freak athlete.

NJ-STEELER
03-02-2010, 01:30 PM
vernon gohlston

MaxAMillion
03-02-2010, 01:41 PM
I pray someone takes Mays before he gets to #18. I don't care what time he runs. There are better safeties out there who don't run a 4.3 or whatever Mays ran.

flippy
03-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I wanna see guys get measured in pads.

Jom112
03-02-2010, 01:49 PM
vernon gohlston

HUGE difference between the two. Gholston is afraid of contact, Mays is not...at all.

StarSpangledSteeler
I pray someone takes Mays before he gets to #18. I don't care what time he runs. There are better safeties out there who don't run a 4.3 or whatever Mays ran.

Thank you! I agree he is a phenomenal athlete but he takes bad angles and his hands are average. He would be a better strong safety in my opinion. I'd take Thomas over Mays.

SteelerOfDeVille
imagine ...mays, troy and ike in the secondary... might be the fastest secondary in the NFL.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-02-2010, 01:51 PM

Thank you! I agree he is a phenomenal athlete but he takes bad angles and his hands are average. He would be a better strong safety in my opinion. I'd take Thomas over Mays.

birtikidis
03-02-2010, 01:55 PM
official time was 4.43
Deon was annoyed as hell about how off the human timer was.

Lebsteel
03-02-2010, 02:05 PM
official time was 4.43
Yea, that is a big difference. I guess whoever is posting the times at http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010-nfl-combine-results-defensive-backs/ must be posting the NFLN hand-held timer results?

birtikidis
03-02-2010, 02:06 PM
official time was 4.43
Yea, that is a big difference. I guess whoever is posting the times at http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010-nfl-combine-results-defensive-backs/ must be posting the NFLN hand-held timer results?
Well mayock and sanders were freaking out about his time. about how fast a 4.24 is but then they showed the simulation between mays and jacoby ford and it was way off, then the official time came out.

ikestops85
03-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Don't become enamored with the numbers he puts up. Just look at his performance on the field and his football acumen. Michael Johnson could run fast ... doesn't mean he could play football. Pocket Hercules (Naim Suleymanoglu) was possibly the strongest man on earth, pound for pound for pound, but I don't think he would be a good football player.

Just because a guy can run fast or is strong or can jump high just means he is a good athlete. It doesn't automatically translate to being a great football player. Don't get me wrong. It does help but give me a guy who runs a 4.5 with great football instincts over a guy who runs 4.25 without those instincts anyday.

papillon
03-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Don't become enamored with the numbers he puts up. Just look at his performance on the field and his football acumen. Michael Johnson could run fast ... doesn't mean he could play football. Pocket Hercules (Naim Suleymanoglu) was possibly the strongest man on earth, pound for pound for pound, but I don't think he would be a good football player.

Just because a guy can run fast or is strong or can jump high just means he is a good athlete. It doesn't automatically translate to being a great football player. Don't get me wrong. It does help but give me a guy who runs a 4.5 with great football instincts over a guy who runs 4.25 without those instincts anyday.

Who is saying that Mays doesn't have great or even good football instincts? Us message board GMs or NFL talent evaluators?

This guy has had a 1st round grade for a long time. I would find it hard to believe that you get that grade without knowing a little bit about playing football.

Pappy

birtikidis
03-02-2010, 02:22 PM
wasn't mays considered a top 5 talent last year as a junior?

papillon
03-02-2010, 02:31 PM
wasn't mays considered a top 5 talent last year as a junior?

Something like that and now he doesn't have football instincts. :wink:

Pappy

SteelAbility
03-02-2010, 02:44 PM
I just checked the combine's top performers. Mays is listed as having a 4.43.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performe ... -yard-dash (http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-forty-yard-dash)

:wft

Maybe this is like that Spiller thing where NFLN initially showed a 4.27 but his official time was 4.37.

ikestops85
03-02-2010, 02:46 PM

Who is saying that Mays doesn't have great or even good football instincts? Us message board GMs or NFL talent evaluators?

This guy has had a 1st round grade for a long time. I would find it hard to believe that you get that grade without knowing a little bit about playing football.

Pappy

I'm not saying anything bad about Mays. I don't watch enough college football to evaluate the players. I'm just saying that in my mind these numbers don't mean jack sh!t unless they are way low. A good football player is a good football player whether he puts up the numbers or not. Jerry Rice is a perfect example. I think his numbers at the combine were average at best. Same with Hines Ward.

Look at the game film and tell me how Mays plays. That receiver isn't going to be able to tell whether he was hit at 4.25 speed or 4.5 speed. The difference in PSI will be negligible between the two speeds.

Mays may be a great player ... I don't know. I just think his measurables should only be used as a tiebreaker with someone else. Nothing more and nothing less.

Dee Dub
03-02-2010, 02:59 PM

Say what??? So are you trying to suggest that because Mays' INT numbers werenít equivalent to his physical talent that he isnít a good football player?? If you areÖlet me be the first to tell you how wrong you are. And let me also say that Maysí despite having the low INTís numbers this is not an indication that he has below average football instincts. In fact he was more times in great position to make a huge hit in coverage. That alone tells you has a tremendous instincts. Mays will tell you he was asked to go for the knock out hit whenever he could by Pete Caroll. His roll over years 2 and 3 at USC changed from when he was asked to play the center fielder roll he played as freshman.

You can not be in position to make those jarring hits if you dont have football instincts.

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Chris Johnson's quote is pretty funny... :lol:

Mays' official time jumps to 4.43

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 2, 2010 1:07 PM ET

Taylor Mays' blazing forty time wasn't quite as fast as it appeared.

Perhaps because of an itchy trigger finger by a NFL Network employee, Mays' unofficial time of 4.24 went all the way up to a 4.43.

Chris Johnson was not amused on Twitter: "Man yall killsme me w/ ths 40's stevie wonder must B doing the unofficial times how u go from 4.24 2 4.43 I made em kissdababy," Johnson wrote. (The Network plans to replace Wonder next season.)

NFLN showed Mays only about a step behind Jacoby Ford's 4.28 when played side by side, which makes us question these times even more.

Ultimately, Mays helped himself, but not that much. Tennessee safety Eric Berry ran an official 4.47 and had one of the best vertical jumps in the history of the combine.

Texas safety Earl Thomas, Mike Mayock's favorite, ran unofficial times of 4.44 and a 4.53, which should allay any concerns about his speed. But his official time was something slower than a 4.47. He may be the most instinctive player of the three safeties.

With Thomas and Berry excelling and Florida cornerback Joe Haden struggling Tuesday, it's possible we'll see two safeties drafted in April before a cornerback.

papillon
03-02-2010, 03:05 PM

Pappy

I'm not saying anything bad about Mays. I don't watch enough college football to evaluate the players. I'm just saying that in my mind these numbers don't mean jack sh!t unless they are way low. A good football player is a good football player whether he puts up the numbers or not. Jerry Rice is a perfect example. I think his numbers at the combine were average at best. Same with Hines Ward.

Look at the game film and tell me how Mays plays. That receiver isn't going to be able to tell whether he was hit at 4.25 speed or 4.5 speed. The difference in PSI will be negligible between the two speeds.

Mays may be a great player ... I don't know. I just think his measurables should only be used as a tiebreaker with someone else. Nothing more and nothing less.

We are on the same page my friend. I saw the last statement in your post and thought I'd comment. I agree 100% a good football player is a good football player. If I were scout or coach the combine would be used for interviewing the players and testing their mental agility and character makeup more than seeing how fast they are or how high they jump. No pads equals not much info about how they play football.

Pappy

Oviedo
03-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Bottomline about Mays as I see it:

1. He is a better player than any Safety we have on the roster not named Troy.
2. You can teach alot of technique but you can't teach speed and athleticism.
3. Mays is the best option in this draft to step in and play SS the way that LeBeau uses Troy now. This is extremely valuable if Troy gets injured or moves to FS. We saw last season what happens when you don't have that kind of talent playing SS in our system.

I would love to have Mays at #18.

birtikidis
03-02-2010, 03:55 PM

3. Mays is the best option in this draft to step in and play SS the way that LeBeau uses Troy now. This is extremely valuable if Troy gets injured or moves to FS. We saw last season what happens when you don't have that kind of talent playing SS in our system.

ovi, i agree with ya, though i think Thomas could be that guy too.
I'm really torn in this draft because there are SO MANY players that I want us to draft!

Shawn
03-02-2010, 04:01 PM

He is very impressive and I'm sure he worked his butt off training for the combine given his other measurables are also off the charts for a safety. If Thomas (who just ran a 4.44), Mays and Odrick are there at 18, who do you take, DD? I still like Thomas or Odrick, but Mays is a true freak athlete.

I still roll with Thomas because he is a complete DB. There is nothing the kid can't do well. With that said...4.24? Dayum. It would be VERY tempting to draft Mays and allow Troy to play more coverage and extend his career by 3-4 seasons. Mays is a 5th round selection based on coverage but he has Troy ability around the LOS. If used correctly...he is a very intriguing prosepct.

birtikidis
03-02-2010, 04:05 PM
shawn mays official time was a 4.43
i agree about Thomas though.
I like em both and wouldn't be disappointed with either.

Shawn
03-02-2010, 04:33 PM
shawn mays official time was a 4.43
i agree about Thomas though.
I like em both and wouldn't be disappointed with either.

Wow...I was like dayum thats fast for a guy that size. The only time I have seen a guy that tall run a sub 4.3 was Terrell Pryor 6 foot 6 230...sub 4.3. I'm sure there are more just cant think of any.

Either way...if Thomas is there I think he is the no brainer pick.

steelblood
03-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Mays is an incredible athlete. Unfortunately, his stiff hips and poor angles make him a poor FS prospect, imho. I think he'll be a good 4-3 OLB or SS.

Oviedo
03-02-2010, 04:47 PM

ovi, i agree with ya, though i think Thomas could be that guy too.
I'm really torn in this draft because there are SO MANY players that I want us to draft!

I don't think that Thomas could be a SS in our scheme

feltdizz
03-02-2010, 05:21 PM

Pappy

I think it's the boards Pappy...

Mays looks good to me..

I'm actually more concerned with the talent Earl Thomas played against.

Alabama refused to pass because they are scared of their own QB...
Nebraska isn't a passing dynasty..
Oklahoma State had a talented but erratic QB.. no Dez Bryant either I believe.
I think Brad Samford was hurt early in the game last with Oklahoma last year..

I don't know much about either but I like Mays size and speed.. Thomas looks a little small.

calmkiller
03-02-2010, 06:07 PM
I still want Earl Thomas. He is my Pick.

feltdizz
03-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't give a damn what the guys name is I just want him to fit into the D and make plays.

Too many people cheer against a Steeler 1st or 2nd rounder if it's not "their guy"

BradshawsHairdresser
03-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Mays is an incredible athlete. Unfortunately, his stiff hips and poor angles make him a poor FS prospect, imho. I think he'll be a good 4-3 OLB or SS.
$$$$
I want a FS who can not only tackle, but also cover. While it would be nice to have Mays as a backup for Troy, that's a luxury we can't afford with our #1 pick, IMO.

papillon
03-02-2010, 08:57 PM

This we agree on. I'd also love Earl Thomas, either safety is good by me.

Pappy

stlrz d
03-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Rd 1: FS/SS or ILB
Rd 2: ILB or FS/SS
Rd 3: NT or OC
Rd 4: OC or RB
Rd 5: WR or RB
Rd 6: CB

The front office knows who's good and who isn't.

Pappy

This is a well thought out mock that merits praise and compliments.

And I really mean that!

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2010, 12:49 AM

this article agrees with you -

NFL Draft Spotlight: Taylor Mays, S, USC
March 2, 2010

By Cory J. Bonini

Taylor Mays, the All-American free safety from Southern California, leaves as a senior after four productive years at a major football university. He experienced a dramatic spike in tackling numbers in 2009, finishing the year with 88 total stops - 35 more than the season before.

Strengths

Mays is as explosive of a hitter as they come and doesn't shy from contact.
Speed: official 4.43 40-yard dash time; unofficially 4.24 on first run
Athleticism: rare package of size and speed
Strong against the run
Elite size: 6-foot-3, 231 pounds
Impressive recovery speed
Intimidating over the middle
Football smarts - reads and reacts quickly
Durable and consistent

Weaknesses

Constantly looks for the big hit and fails to wrap up
Lack of ball skills with only four career interceptions in four seasons
Takes poor angles in coverage
Sometimes reckless - often overly aggressive
Sporadically out of position

Expected draft placement

We don't expect Mays to play free safety in the NFL due to his lack of ball skills and range. Some people have whispered "linebacker" - don't hold your breath. Mays is a strong safety in the NFL, and because of his speed-size combination, someone will take a chance on him. It's unlikely Mays falls out of the first round, even though he may have a rough transition to the NFL. Think NFL veteran safety Roy L. Williams and you have a great comparison to the physically imposing Mays.

RuthlessBurgher
03-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Before the combine, I ranked Mays behind both Berry and Thomas among safeties.

After the combine, I still rank Mays behind both Berry and Thomas among safeties.