PDA

View Full Version : Odrick Good Fit for Steelers

Oviedo
03-02-2010, 09:20 AM
I would have Odrick among the group I would be very happy to get at #18. That includes: Taylor Mays, CJ Spiller, Sean Weatherspoon, Rolondo McClain and possibly Iupati

Penn State's Odrick good fit for Steelers
Tuesday, March 02, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Michael Conroy/Associated PressPenn State defensive lineman Jared Odrick runs a drill at the NFL combine in Indianapolis, Monday.INDIANAPOLIS -- Penn State's Jared Odrick did more than wear the same number as Aaron Smith. He is built like the Steelers' defensive end, sheds blocks and stuffs the run like him and was used in much the same selfless manner with the Nittany Lions.

The style and resemblance is so uncanny that, if you close your eyes, you can almost see Odrick in a Steelers uniform. Not that it is a far-fetched possibility.

"One of the great things that impressed me is that he can do so many things," Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley said. "He's never been a personal stat guy. Sometimes in our defense he's not doing glamorous stuff. He doesn't draw a lot of attention to himself. Like, last year, he opened up lot of stuff for Aaron Maybin to make plays."

Sound like anyone you know?

Bradley called Odrick "the best three-technique in the country," football nomenclature for a defensive tackle position in the 4-3 defense. That is what Odrick, the Big Ten Conference defensive player of the year, played for three seasons at Penn State.

But defensive tackles in a 4-3 defense become defensive ends -- or a "five-technique" -- in a 3-4 defense, and that is what Odrick would be if he were taken with the 18th overall pick by the Steelers.

"I think I bring a lot of versatility at multiple positions that I've played before and am capable of playing in the future." Odrick said.

Odrick is considered among the top five defensive tackles in the draft, usually ranking behind Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma and somewhere between Brian Price of UCLA and Dan Williams of Tennessee. Odrick measured 6 feet 5, 304 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

But, after running times of 4.98 and 5.04 in the 40-yard dash Monday at Lucas Oil Stadium, it's possible he could be the first defensive tackle selected after Suh and McCoy, who are expected to be among the first three picks, if not the first two.

"He was a dominant football player for us," Bradley said. "He's a big guy with great movement. And he takes great pride in what he does. When he comes out to practice, he comes out with a purpose. He's always trying to find out ways to get better."

Odrick seemingly has all the prerequisites the Steelers look for in their defensive linemen. He wouldn't be much of a project for defensive line coach John Mitchell, who likes to strip away everything his pupils already have learned to teach them the Steelers way.

Even though he played on the interior at Penn State, Odrick showed the ability to disrupt plays in the backfield and even pressure the quarterback. He is strong enough to move double-teams and quick enough to chase plays down in pursuit.

And he is a lean and fit 304 pounds, meaning he has plenty of room on his frame to easily add another 10-15 pounds.

"I like to think I'm a high-character guy," Odrick said. "I get along with everybody on the team. I'm somebody who's going to work hard. You're going to get a hard worker out of me, somebody who is going to fight for a starting spot and earn respect. That's what you're going to get when you're dealing with Jared Odrick."

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said the signing of nose tackle Casey Hampton last week to a three-year, $21.3 million contract will not have any effect on the Steelers' decision to draft a defensive lineman in the first round. They need youth and depth on the line to develop a better rotation and get players ready to replace Hampton and Smith, who will be 34 in April.

"Teams have come to this draft looking at all of us," Odrick said. "If you want to stand out, this is a chance to kind of separate yourself."

Looking a lot like Aaron Smith should help.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10061/10 ... z0h1bbp0BE (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10061/1039572-66.stm#ixzz0h1bbp0BE)

steelblood
03-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Dulac fails to mention that the main difference between Odrick and Aaron Smith is that Odrick is already a better pass rusher. He is much quicker.

I would love it if we selected him. I just would hope that the STeelers would find a way to get him out there, especially in nickel and dime situations where he would thrive rushing the passer. Odrick would be good against the run and really help out our pass defense. Imagine if he came in fresh off the bench to rush the passer late in the game. He could help save the games with QB pressures. He would immediately be our best interior pass rusher.

phillyesq
03-02-2010, 10:22 AM
From the writeup, Odrick sounds like he could be a great fit. With Smith, Kiesel, Ziggy and Odrick, the Steelers would have a very good rotation at DE, with a great mix of youth and experience.

With Hampton extended, the Steelers can wait a year, and then grab a NT next year to replace Hoke and start grooming him to take over at NT.

MaxAMillion
03-02-2010, 10:47 AM
From the writeup, Odrick sounds like he could be a great fit. With Smith, Kiesel, Ziggy and Odrick, the Steelers would have a very good rotation at DE, with a great mix of youth and experience.

With Hampton extended, the Steelers can wait a year, and then grab a NT next year to replace Hoke and start grooming him to take over at NT.

I would be satisfied with Odrick as the pick. I like him more than Weatherspoon or Iuapti. I think both of those guys are talented but risky picks. Odrick is talented and a safe pick. He would bring more youth to the DL.

Lebsteel
03-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Yes! I would be very happy with either Odrick, Thomas or Spoon and OK with Dan Williams and Taylor Mays. Not that my happiness matters to the Steelers, but I do have their best interests at heart! :tt1

MeetJoeGreene
03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Being a PSU Homer and living fairly close to where Odrick played High School, I can tell you that he is a great player and high character guy.

If we hadn't selected Ziggy in the first round last year, I would be FROTHING AT THE MOUTH to get him.

However, I am not sure that we willl (or should) take him if another good player at Safety, ILB, or OL is available.

Unless we really are going to a 4-3.

And we can't forget the mystical aspect - The Steelers have never won a Super Bowl without an PSU Player on their ACTIVE roster.

Maybe McHugh comes back this years and appeases the Blue-White gods.

or maybe we need to draft a PSU Player this year.

Lebsteel
03-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Being a PSU Homer and living fairly close to where Odrick played High School, I can tell you that he is a great player and high character guy.

If we hadn't selected Ziggy in the first round last year, I would be FROTHING AT THE MOUTH to get him.

However, I am not sure that we willl (or should) take him if another good player at Safety, ILB, or OL is available.

And we can't forget the mystical aspect - The Steelers have never won a Super Bowl without an PSU Player on their ACTIVE roster.

I think both. MJG, what do you think of Sean Lee in Rd. 2/3 if we don't draft McClain or Spoon?

flippy
03-02-2010, 01:36 PM
I'd be ok with this pick.

If we can load up on the front 7 and consistently pressure the QB, we'll be in many a SB as long as #7 is around.

7 (Ben) + 7 (Defensive front 7) = SuperBowl #7 and many more

NJ-STEELER
03-02-2010, 01:40 PM

thats what i'm thinking too.

cant see 2 DEs back to back....especially with the 3-4 we play.

if we could go back and select Byrd last year i'd love to take odjrick this year

StarSpangledSteeler
03-02-2010, 01:55 PM

I would be satisfied with Odrick as the pick. I like him more than Weatherspoon or Iuapti. I think both of those guys are talented but risky picks. Odrick is talented and a safe pick. He would bring more youth to the DL.

I find myself agreeing with you on many posts. I would be happy with Odrick because he seems to fit very well with our scheme, something I can't say about Ziggy. Odrick seems like a very safe pick with low bust potential and a 'Steelers type guy'. Plus, a good pass rusher will help cover up our weak-ish secondary.

NJ-STEELER
03-02-2010, 02:26 PM
45 sacks last year

and the secondary still looked like crap

ikestops85
03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
45 sacks last year

and the secondary still looked like crap

45 sacks but not nearly the same amount of pressure on the QB that we had the year before. We even had a few games last year where the sacks were 'coverage sacks'. Not that the secondary looked 'good' last year. They didn't but they might not be as far off as some would think.

NJ-STEELER
03-02-2010, 05:50 PM
when troy was in there vs the titans (smith too).

we got pressure on collins, but he got rid of the ball quicker to counter the pressure. he still completed a lot of balls that day. he threw a lot of quick hitting plays. thats something our defense saw a lot more of last year compared to the previous year

Shawn
03-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Dulac fails to mention that the main difference between Odrick and Aaron Smith is that Odrick is already a better pass rusher. He is much quicker.

I would love it if we selected him. I just would hope that the STeelers would find a way to get him out there, especially in nickel and dime situations where he would thrive rushing the passer. Odrick would be good against the run and really help out our pass defense. Imagine if he came in fresh off the bench to rush the passer late in the game. He could help save the games with QB pressures. He would immediately be our best interior pass rusher.

Odrick is much further along than Smith at this stage in the game. Odrick presents a great value at 18...not sure why mocks have him going later than that.

steelblood
03-02-2010, 06:04 PM

Odrick is much further along than Smith at this stage in the game. Odrick presents a great value at 18...not sure why mocks have him going later than that.

My point had nothing to do with development. I think Odrick is a better pass rusher now than Aaron Smith has ever been at any point in his career.

Shawn
03-02-2010, 06:11 PM

My point had nothing to do with development. I think Odrick is a better pass rusher now than Aaron Smith has ever been at any point in his career.

And I was agreeing with you. :?

NW Steeler
03-02-2010, 06:18 PM
I like Odrick and Spoon a lot, but for some reason I see them taking the top OL left on the board at #18. I think Odrick makes as much sense as Spoon, seeing that Aaron Smith is nearing the end of his career, much like Farrior. The more I think about it, I like the idea of Odrick in the first and an ILB in the second IF they sign a FS in free agency.

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2010, 06:38 PM
I wonder which DL the Steelers would consider in Rounds 2 or 3?

Steelers | Could take DL early in draft

Tue, 02 Mar 2010

James Walker, of ESPN.com, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers could take a defensive lineman in one of the early rounds of the 2010 NFL Draft even though they recently signed NT Casey Hampton to a three-year extension.

Steel Life
03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I still think we need to go NT earlier than DE...though Odrick is a good player, I just dont think he represents the best value at 18.

NW Steeler
03-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I just can't see the Steelers drafting a NT in round 1 after just signing Casey to a 3-year extension. It won't happen. If Williams was just a complete cant miss prospect, then maybe. But I doubt they go that direction now.

Shawn
03-02-2010, 08:05 PM
I just can't see the Steelers drafting a NT in round 1 after just signing Casey to a 3-year extension. It won't happen. If Williams was just a complete cant miss prospect, then maybe. But I doubt they go that direction now.

Agreed...I see them going with a mid rounder and trying to develop him.

Steel Life
03-02-2010, 08:52 PM

Agreed...I see them going with a mid rounder and trying to develop him.
Linval Joseph Corey Peters perhaps?

steelblood
03-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Sounded like you were comparing them at the same point in their careers. :? :wink: :| :D :shock: 8) :| :tt2

Shawn
03-02-2010, 11:21 PM

Sounded like you were comparing them at the same point in their careers. :? :wink: :| :D :shock: 8) :| :tt2

I was...but I was trying to support what you were saying. Odrick is the man. Future Pro Bowler...better at pass rushing than Smith currently...will be a total stud. :)