PDA

View Full Version : Chad Jones throws up 9 reps

Lebsteel
03-01-2010, 11:28 PM
I had Chad Jones, who is supposedly a great athlete and very intelligent person, as my second round choice. But, nine reps with 225 lbs. is very bad. The bench press is certainly not a great measure of how good a football player is, but it does tell me that either Chad Jones is extremely weak in his upper body or he has not been training. He measured in at 6'2" and 221 lbs. w/ 32.5" arms. If he had any kind of strength, even without training, he should be able to do more than nine reps. It is certainly no secret that the bench press is going to be one of the tests, so you would think that Chad should have been training for it. Taylor Mays, who is only slightly bigger, knocked out 24 reps and even "little" Earl Thomas did 21, so unless Chad is much better in the other tests, I think he will have some folks seriously reconsidering making him their early round pick.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010-nfl-combine-results-defensive-backs/

D Rock
03-01-2010, 11:56 PM
those are some fairly long arms to be doing a whole lot of reps if you aren't 6'5" and over 300 lbs.

Probably should have still done more than 9 though. A good bit more.

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2010, 11:57 PM
I was debating between Chad Jones or Nate Allen in the 2nd round of my mock, that solves that problem.

Lebsteel
03-02-2010, 12:09 AM
those are some fairly long arms to be doing a whole lot of reps if you aren't 6'5" and over 300 lbs.

Probably should have still done more than 9 though. A good bit more.
By comparisons, Mays has 34" arms and did 24, Myron Rolle has 32.5" arms and did 21, and Eric Berry has 33.25" arms and did 19. So, does that simply indicate a lack of training or a lack of motivation?

sd steel
03-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Maybe he is injured, or tore or strained a muscle during the exercise. I don't know Chad Jones, or even what position he plays, but if you think he's a good ball player, then just because he didn't press 225 20 times you wouldn't want him? Yes it could show a lack of work ethic, but unless he is on the lines I wouldn't put too much weight on how many reps he can bench. No pun intended.

California-Steel
03-02-2010, 05:17 AM
Yeah 9 reps at his size is bad. When I was in my 20's I was 6'2" 195 exact. Not big by any means. I use to do 225 for 3 sets of 10 reps as part of my workout. I maxed at 315 for 2 reps one set. I bet I could still do a single set for 10 at 225. I am now in my mid 40's. I still workout but not with weights. Lots of body weight exercies now.

I would expect this guy to put up 15 - 20 reps easy. It is only one set.

SteelAbility
03-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Yes, that's very bad. To make it worse, they aren't graded on form. I watched some benching and they are all bouncing it versus doing it touch-n-go. It adds anywhere from 30-40% more reps when bouncing it.

Discipline of Steel
03-02-2010, 07:30 AM
To me, it indicates a simple lack of bulk. Imagine him trying to tackle LeRon McClain...hes gonna get trucked. Id have to say no to him, just based on the reps...even if he drops to the 4-5 round.

steelblood
03-02-2010, 09:09 AM
It is a terrible bench press, a red flag. But, he has years of great production and he takes far better angles to the ball than Nate Allen. I wouldn't let the bench press be a defining factor for safeties. Now if he runs poorly, you may have a point.

Oviedo
03-02-2010, 09:31 AM
You don't bench press during games. Watch the film on him from a couple games. he has no strength issues. I wager he had a minor injury or felt something and just stopped. Wait for his Pro Day before you bail on him because performance wise on the field he was a very good player.

AkronSteel
03-02-2010, 09:38 AM
That is disappointing but I don't think it would deter me from picking him in the 3rd Round! The two DB's I really like after the 1st Round are Chris Cook and Chad Jones! I say lets go OT in Round 1 and then get our CB in Round 2 with Cook. Then getting Jones in Round 3 would be a coupe. Thats my thinking anyway! LB's and DL can be had in rounds 4-7 as the draft is very deep in those areas.

:2c

SteelAbility
03-02-2010, 09:56 AM
To me, it indicates a simple lack of bulk. Imagine him trying to tackle LeRon McClain...hes gonna get trucked. Id have to say no to him, just based on the reps...even if he drops to the 4-5 round.

Well, 221 pounds is 221 pounds. If his bench press is going to be that bad, he better make up for it in his leg drive. So, it could be that he is particularly bottom-heavy (like Olympic speed-skaters). So, he should be a top performer in the vertical leap and broad jump. I believe those results are being worked out today.

SteelAbility
03-02-2010, 09:57 AM
On the up-side, if, as Oviedo mentioned, he felt something or had an injury, he could end up being a real good bargain as his stock drops artificially due to a fluke event.

MaxAMillion
03-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I wonder if Jones playing baseball had anything to do with his bench press numbers. Jones probably worked on baseball a lot in the off season (supposedly would be a pretty high draft choice) and that may be a reason why his bench numbers are so bad. There is no excuse for only benching 225 nine times, but it may explain why he is not close to the other db's at the combine.

I still like Jones as a prospect. He may actually fall into the third round based on those bench numbers. I would definitely draft him in round three if he was available.

NW Steeler
03-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I couldn't believe that when I saw how few reps he did, then some other "no name" guys as well. There was a guy that only got 2! That is pathetic. I would have thought that a guy Chad's size would put up at least 15 reps. Hell, I can put up 15-16 reps at 225 and I only weigh 205....and I don't bounce the bar off my chest either! Maybe there was something else to it, but that is pretty surprising, nonetheless.

Lebsteel
03-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Yea, he may have felt a tweek and decided to stop. He sure looks like he would be able to bench a lot more than nine reps. He ran a decent 40 time this morning (4.57). Not too bad for 221 lbs.

Shawn
03-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Yeah 9 reps at his size is bad. When I was in my 20's I was 6'2" 195 exact. Not big by any means. I use to do 225 for 3 sets of 10 reps as part of my workout. I maxed at 315 for 2 reps one set. I bet I could still do a single set for 10 at 225. I am now in my mid 40's. I still workout but not with weights. Lots of body weight exercies now.

I would expect this guy to put up 15 - 20 reps easy. It is only one set.

Duude I bet your musckles are HUGE. :lol:

Dee Dub
03-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I had Chad Jones, who is supposedly a great athlete and very intelligent person, as my second round choice. But, nine reps with 225 lbs. is very bad. The bench press is certainly not a great measure of how good a football player is, but it does tell me that either Chad Jones is extremely weak in his upper body or he has not been training. He measured in at 6'2" and 221 lbs. w/ 32.5" arms. If he had any kind of strength, even without training, he should be able to do more than nine reps. It is certainly no secret that the bench press is going to be one of the tests, so you would think that Chad should have been training for it. Taylor Mays, who is only slightly bigger, knocked out 24 reps and even "little" Earl Thomas did 21, so unless Chad is much better in the other tests, I think he will have some folks seriously reconsidering making him their early round pick.

BFD!! Chad Jones can also throw a fastball in the mid to upper 90's too. Neither that or how many time she can bench press 225 is any indication of how he plays safety. In fact he is one of the better playmaking free safeties in this draft. Period!

And this is good news...maybe teams will dumb enough to overlook his skills on the field for something as dumb as a free safeties bench press and he'll fall to us at 52.

Lebsteel
03-02-2010, 01:18 PM

BFD!! Chad Jones can also throw a fastball in the mid to upper 90's too. Neither that or how many time she can bench press 225 is any indication of how he plays safety. In fact he is one of the better playmaking free safeties in this draft. Period!

And this is good news...maybe teams will dumb enough to overlook his skills on the field for something as dumb as a free safeties bench press and he'll fall to us at 52.
DD, did you read my post? Guess not. It is a big deal if it is an indicator of how little he trained for the event. As I said also, I had him as my Rd. 2 pick, but I think it is something to look at, maybe it IS a BFD, maybe not. But is certainly FAR below what the average FS can do. His 40 time of 4.57 was decent. Let's see what his other measurables are. Given that he is thought to have "high character" and be intelligent, he may still be worth our Rd. 2 pick.

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2010, 03:10 PM

hey Dee Dub, you bring up a good point about Chad Jones throwing a 90 mph fastball. maybe Jones doesn't like to bench press heavy weights because it might make him bulky/less flexible and possibly affect the speed of his pitches?

Dee Dub
03-02-2010, 03:31 PM

hey Dee Dub, you bring up a good point about Chad Jones throwing a 90 mph fastball. maybe Jones doesn't like to bench press heavy weights because it might make him bulky/less flexible and possibly affect the speed of his pitches?

It really doesnt matter what the reason is...he still is a very good football player who hits like ton of bricks.

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2010, 03:53 PM
[quote=Lebsteel]I had Chad Jones, who is supposedly a great athlete and very intelligent person, as my second round choice. But, nine reps with 225 lbs. is very bad. The bench press is certainly not a great measure of how good a football player is, but it does tell me that either Chad Jones is extremely weak in his upper body or he has not been training. He measured in at 6'2" and 221 lbs. w/ 32.5" arms. If he had any kind of strength, even without training, he should be able to do more than nine reps. It is certainly no secret that the bench press is going to be one of the tests, so you would think that Chad should have been training for it. Taylor Mays, who is only slightly bigger, knocked out 24 reps and even "little" Earl Thomas did 21, so unless Chad is much better in the other tests, I think he will have some folks seriously reconsidering making him their early round pick.

It really doesnt matter what the reason is...he still is a very good football player who hits like ton of bricks.[/quote:2761f4if]

i have read where some scouts consider Chad Jones to be one of the top 10 all-around athletes in the NFL draft. if the Steelers deem it important for Jones to get stronger they can always start him on a strength/weight lifting program and increase his bench press reps pretty quickly.

what Jones does on a football field is more important than what he does in a weight room, there have been lots of workout warriors who were not good football players.