PDA

View Full Version : Ben or Sid

Discipline of Steel
03-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Ben and Sid are special players and both will probably play their entire careers in Pittsburgh. They both have led their respective (talented) teams to 2 significant championships. Both have made game winning plays at the end of time in one of their championship games. Neither has a league MVP. For all intents and purposes, they can be considered to be in a tie at this point. Question is, who will become the greater legend in their sport? Which one will bring us more hardware???

As much as I like Ben, I have to vote for Sid because hockey might have less of a talent pool and Ben is a few years older. If all things were equal, I might be inclined to say Ben. Hows that for definitive?!?

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Big Ben - you would never see Ben throwing a TD pass for another country! :lol:

papillon
03-01-2010, 11:08 PM

:Bow :Bow

This is the kind of out of the box thinking necessary to answer this question, very nice HS.

Pappy

ANPSTEEL
03-01-2010, 11:37 PM
I've got to go Sid here.

The window of opportunity in the NHL is significantly longer than the NFL.

Careers last longer-

and

IMO, Teams need less total "team", in hockey.
what I mean by this is- in the nhl, you can move a star- plug in a few solid supporting players - a solid Goalie, and bingo- you have a contender. Building a winner in the nfl is a much more challenging process.

Djfan
03-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Ben may have more championships IMO, but Sid will have amazing stats.

Hard to tell. I hope we have the multiple championships competing every year from now on.

Northern_Blitz
03-02-2010, 12:31 AM
I voted Ben. He has the possibility to be the best QB of all time.

I think that Crosby will be a great player, but there's no way that he can put up numbers any where near Gretzky's. In 4 complete years, Crosby has 132 G, 265 A and he's +30. In 4 years Gretzky had 269 G, 440 A, and the most amazing stat was that he was +197. At his current pace, Crosby would need to play 69 more years to equal Gretzky's final career total of +518.

To my knowledge, there is no one that is that far in front of Ben.

flippy
03-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Easy answer - Ben.

Crosby is the most overrated athlete in the history of sports. The one thing about him is he hustles. He's the hardest working player on the ice every time I've seen him. But that doesn't make him great.

Every time Ben plays, he's the best player on the field. You can't always say that about Crosby.

One day everyone will agree that Ben is the greatest Steeler ever. I already have him #1 on my list. But Crosby will never be close to as good as Mario. Heck, Jagr in his prime was better than Sid will ever be.

Sid just passed 40 goals for the first time. Kevin Stevens had more than 50 several times.

That'd be like saying Ben hasn't put up the numbers of Bradshaw, Neil ODonnel, or Bubby Brister, but he's the greatest QB of all time.

JTP53609
03-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Sidney Crosby won league MVP in 2007.

The NHL is not followed like that of the NFL, and it is unfortunate because right now there is loads of talent in the NHL. Both Ben and Sid are winners, they know how to win and they just do it. Sidney Crosby is a class act, I really find it hard to believe that he will put himself in a position for embarassment (that is no knock on Ben but a credit to Sid). Sidney Crosby will win a few more cups and I think Ben has one more SB in him, hopefully more, Ben means more to the city than Crosby, but I think Crosby is going to have the better career based on stats and championships..

SteelBucks
03-02-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure if this is a fair comparison but I'll go with Sid. The kid is only 22 years old and has been the league MVP, has won a Stanley Cup, and Olympic gold. In hockey a player usually reaches his prime at 27....it's downright scary how good Crosby could be for the next decade.

JTP53609
03-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Crosby and Gretzky should not even be compared, gretzky is the best hockey player of all time, I dont think Crosby thinks of his stats nor does anyone.

But to say Crosby is overrated is just ridiculous, he has never had over 40 goals until now because he is more of a finess player, he does shoot the puck on net 8 times a game (until now) and he has played with below average talent besides him, colby armtrong, peter sykora, kris kunitz, mark recchi, john leclair(the late 30's version),

he has led the leauge in points once and has finished in the top 3, 3 out of 4 years (and the year he did not finish in the top 3 he was hurt for 25 games and was leading the league when he got hurt).....

I love big ben, but to say he has a chance to be the best qb of all time is as ridiculous as saying crosby is overrated, crosby hustles end to end which makes him even cooler, he is a true captain that does not take a play off and he has the talent to back it up. there have been games where Big Ben has not been the best player on the field, so dont say that every game he is the best player.

I just dont understand why Sidney Crosby is labeled as overrated by some people, is it because he had 31 points in 24 playoff games last year on route to winning the cup, or is it because he now has a gold medal for his country. Maybe it is because he is finally doing this at his old age of 22.

and i am not bad mouthing big ben, I would take him over any qb for my team bc he is a winner, but he will not be near the best qb of all time, it gets on my nerves when he is not mentioned as an elite qb..

aggiebones
03-02-2010, 02:47 PM
I gotta say Sid even though I lean football.

Sid HAS won a league MVP and will likely win more. He's also had a scoring title I think. He's always near the top of the league for everything and is a hated league players. That means you are good.
The difficult part will be winning Championships. It is a tough grind to survive deep in both sports. Sid still has alot of young good parts to his team. Ben's are fading slowly. Ward, the D are aging. We'll see how they get replaced.
Sid also has a MUCH longer career ahead of him. Ben's got 5 years left to make a BIG move. Then anything else he can scrap out would be nice.

The last item is stats and both play in cold weather. That doesn't hurt a 2 way hockey center, but it does not help a QB. League stats will never go Ben's way. Late season number will always drift in the snow versus guys playing indoor. And we'll likely run more than many top QBs. Sid will chase scoring titles and Ben will have nice numbers for cold weather Qbs.

Ben's ONLY chance is titles. If he brings more, he will be the toast!

SteelerOfDeVille
03-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Hockey??
REALLY??

I get more excited about women's tennis...

ikestops85
03-02-2010, 03:03 PM
I am not a big hockey fan so I will have to go with Ben. I think Ben is very underrated and it is due to the position he was drafted. He was the #11 pick and the 3rd QB taken in that draft class. I think if Ben was the #1 overall pick in that draft the accolades he would be receiving would be tremendous. To me the guy is one of the most exciting players in the league.

:tt2 :tt2

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2010, 03:05 PM

:Bow :Bow

This is the kind of out of the box thinking necessary to answer this question, very nice HS.

Pappy

thanks Pappy! :Cheers

ikestops85
03-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Hockey??
REALLY??

I get more excited about women's tennis...

I prefer womens beach volleyball myself

http://usesoap.com/images/olympics/brazil_vollyball2.jpg

flippy
03-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Crosby and Gretzky should not even be compared, gretzky is the best hockey player of all time, I dont think Crosby thinks of his stats nor does anyone.

But to say Crosby is overrated is just ridiculous, he has never had over 40 goals until now because he is more of a finess player, he does shoot the puck on net 8 times a game (until now) and he has played with below average talent besides him, colby armtrong, peter sykora, kris kunitz, mark recchi, john leclair(the late 30's version),

he has led the leauge in points once and has finished in the top 3, 3 out of 4 years (and the year he did not finish in the top 3 he was hurt for 25 games and was leading the league when he got hurt).....

I love big ben, but to say he has a chance to be the best qb of all time is as ridiculous as saying crosby is overrated, crosby hustles end to end which makes him even cooler, he is a true captain that does not take a play off and he has the talent to back it up. there have been games where Big Ben has not been the best player on the field, so dont say that every game he is the best player.

I just dont understand why Sidney Crosby is labeled as overrated by some people, is it because he had 31 points in 24 playoff games last year on route to winning the cup, or is it because he now has a gold medal for his country. Maybe it is because he is finally doing this at his old age of 22.

and i am not bad mouthing big ben, I would take him over any qb for my team bc he is a winner, but he will not be near the best qb of all time, it gets on my nerves when he is not mentioned as an elite qb..

I love Sid and hockey. But I just think Sid's been put on this Wayne/Mario pedestal that he doesn't deserve. He's my favorite Penguin. I love his hustle. He's relentless on the ice. But he's not lived up to the marketing hype that's preceeded him.

Ben on the other hand is so underrated. Like you said, he doesn't get mentioned consistently as one of the elite QBs in the game.

The other factor is there's a lot of guys winning games for the Pens. It's more of a team sport where every player is so important - from Fluery to Fedetenko to Jordan to Brooks to Max to Geno. But the NFL is about how good is your QB? A QB carries his team more than any position in any sport.

The Pens would still be good without Crosby. The Steelers would have no chance without Ben.

I think player value relative to their sport also deserves some consideration in this discussion.

Too bad the Pirates don't have anyone in this discussion.

JTP53609
03-02-2010, 03:38 PM

I love Sid and hockey. But I just think Sid's been put on this Wayne/Mario pedestal that he doesn't deserve. He's my favorite Penguin. I love his hustle. He's relentless on the ice. But he's not lived up to the marketing hype that's preceeded him.

Ben on the other hand is so underrated. Like you said, he doesn't get mentioned consistently as one of the elite QBs in the game.

The other factor is there's a lot of guys winning games for the Pens. It's more of a team sport where every player is so important - from Fluery to Fedetenko to Jordan to Brooks to Max to Geno. But the NFL is about how good is your QB? A QB carries his team more than any position in any sport.

The Pens would still be good without Crosby. The Steelers would have no chance without Ben.

I think player value relative to their sport also deserves some consideration in this discussion.

Too bad the Pirates don't have anyone in this discussion.

I do see what your saying, and I agree on the football aspect, you take Ben away from the Steelers and we are a 6-10 team at best...
but if you take Sid away from the Pens, they will be okay but I can almost guarentee they do not win the cup.. I still think his skills are yet to come out full throttle, he will only get better, if he stops trying to be cute and just drives and shoots like he is this year than I expect him to be a big time goal scorer....

The media is at fault for putting him pedastal, they love blowing athletes up and it gets to the point where you think is this guy really good or does the media just tell us he is..

NJ-STEELER
03-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Easy answer - Ben.

Crosby is the most overrated athlete in the history of sports. The one thing about him is he hustles. He's the hardest working player on the ice every time I've seen him. But that doesn't make him great.

Every time Ben plays, he's the best player on the field. You can't always say that about Crosby.

One day everyone will agree that Ben is the greatest Steeler ever. I already have him #1 on my list. But Crosby will never be close to as good as Mario. Heck, Jagr in his prime was better than Sid will ever be.

Sid just passed 40 goals for the first time. Kevin Stevens had more than 50 several times.

That'd be like saying Ben hasn't put up the numbers of Bradshaw, Neil ODonnel, or Bubby Brister, but he's the greatest QB of all time.

they're both great for pittsburgh
hockey greats like rob brown and warren young put up 40 goals next to mario, so i dont think stevens is a good comparison. a lot of his goals were tap ins from amrio working his magic

love both of them but mario had much more talent then sid (more then gretzky too IMO)

sid has great vision and he's near the top in passing ability in the league. he not the sniper mario or wayne was, but still gets his goals

ghettoscott
03-02-2010, 06:26 PM
"we’re talking about Hockey?. I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about Hockey, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we’re talking about hockey. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it’s my last but we’re talking about hockey man. How silly is that? … I know it’s important, I honestly do but we’re talking about Hockey. We’re talking about Hockey man. We’re talking about Hockey. We’re talking about Hockey. We’re not talking about the game. We’re talking about Hockey....Hey I hear you, it’s funny to me too, hey it’s strange to me too but we’re talking about hockey man, we’re not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we’re talking about hockey… "

I vote Ben.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/zakks-sports-smack/iverson-practice.jpg

Discipline of Steel
03-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Well the good problem with all this is THEY'RE BOTH BRINGING US HARDWARE! Keep it up boys. May they both become legends like Stlrz D :tt1 :tt2

papillon
03-02-2010, 08:39 PM
All I know is that it ids a good time to be a fan of Pittsburgh football and hockey right now. Two of the best and brightest stars are playing in the NHL and NFL in Pittsburgh. Crosby is not overrated and Ben isn't always the best player on the field when he plays; but when each is playing their team stands a better chance at winning than the other guy's team.

It's good to be a Penguin and Steeler fan right now. It would be nice to be able to say that about the Pirates again before I die; I don't hold out much hope.

Pappy

stlrz d
03-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Well the good problem with all this is THEY'RE BOTH BRINGING US HARDWARE! Keep it up boys. May they both become legends like Stlrz D :tt1 :tt2

Hear me roar.

:lol:

Oh wait...that's for "I am woman".

Never mind.

:D :D :D

JTP53609
03-03-2010, 09:32 AM
"we’re talking about Hockey?. I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about Hockey, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we’re talking about hockey. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it’s my last but we’re talking about hockey man. How silly is that? … I know it’s important, I honestly do but we’re talking about Hockey. We’re talking about Hockey man. We’re talking about Hockey. We’re talking about Hockey. We’re not talking about the game. We’re talking about Hockey....Hey I hear you, it’s funny to me too, hey it’s strange to me too but we’re talking about hockey man, we’re not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we’re talking about hockey… "

I vote Ben.

i get the iverson quote and all, but hockey is the toughest sport of all, to stand in front of a net to shield a goaltender when your teammate is shooting from the point at 95 mph shows that hockey players do what it takes to win, the nba meanwhile, if someone falls than they sit out a game or if they break a nail dunking than they sit on the bench with ice packs wrapped on it....hockey is a sport, basketball has athletic ability but it is full of too many drama queens and premadonas...

ghettoscott
03-03-2010, 01:25 PM

I vote Ben.

i get the iverson quote and all, but hockey is the toughest sport of all, to stand in front of a net to shield a goaltender when your teammate is shooting from the point at 95 mph shows that hockey players do what it takes to win, the nba meanwhile, if someone falls than they sit out a game or if they break a nail dunking than they sit on the bench with ice packs wrapped on it....hockey is a sport, basketball has athletic ability but it is full of too many drama queens and premadonas...

No disrespect JTP, not really sure why Iverson's practice rant popped in my head. It was just my way of saying BEN all the way....

JTP53609
03-03-2010, 01:37 PM

I vote Ben.

No disrespect JTP, not really sure why Iverson's practice rant popped in my head. It was just my way of saying BEN all the way....

no big deal, :tt2

Discipline of Steel
03-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Looks like Big Ben is making a comeback from an early deficit. Perhaps your hockey speech has swayed the electorate GS?

ghettoscott
03-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Looks like Big Ben is making a comeback from an early deficit. Perhaps your hockey speech has swayed the electorate GS?

9 - 11.... we need to rally...

"Let's talk about something important. Put. That coffee. Down. Coffee's for closers only. You think I'm fukking with you? I am not fukking with you. I'm here from downtown. I'm here from Mitchell and Ness. And I'm here on a mission of mercy. Your name's Crosby? You call yourself a athlete you son of a bitch?
Crosby: I don't gotta sit here and listen to this shhhit.
Big Ben: You certainly don't pal, 'cause the good news is - you're fired. The bad news is - you've got, all of you've got just one week to regain your jobs starting with tonight. Starting tonight. Oh? Have I got your attention now? Good. "Cause we're adding a little something to this month's contest. As you all know first prize is a Cadillac Escalade. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired. Get the picture? You laughing now? You got leads. Mitch and Ness paid good money, get their names to sell them. you can't score the TD's youre given you can't catch shhhit. You ARE ****. Hit the bricks pal, and beat it 'cause you are going OUT.
Crosby: The votes are weak.
Big Ben: The votes are weak? ****ing votes are weak. You're weak. I've been in this business 6 years...
STLRZ D: What's your name?
Big Ben: **** you. That's my name. You know why, mister? You drove a Hyundai to get here. I drove an eighty-thousand dollar BMW. THAT'S my name. And your name is you're wanting. You can't play in the man's game, you can't dodge fat D-Line's - go home and tell your wife your troubles. Because only one thing counts in this life: Get them to cross the big white line. You hear me you ****ing fa55ots? A-B-S. A-Always, B-Be, S-Scoring. Always be scoring. ALWAYS BE SCORING. A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have you attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's **** or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision - Have you made your decision, for Christ? And Action. A-I-D-A. Get out there - you got the TD's coming in. You think they came in to get out of the rain? A guy don't walk on the field lest he wants to Score. They're sitting out there waiting to give you 6. Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it? What's the problem, pal?
Crosby: You're such a hero, you're so rich, how come you're coming down here wasting your time with such a bunch of bums?
Big Ben: You see this ring? You see this ring?
Crosby: Yeah.
Big Ben: That ring costs more than your hockey stuff. I made the Super Bowl last year. What'd you make? You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a ****. Good father? Fukk you! Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here - SCORE! You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you corksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit? You don't like it, leave. _I_ can go out there tonight with the players I've got and make myself a 3 time Champ. Tonight! In there hours! Can you? Can YOU? Go and do likewise. A-I-D-A. Get mad you son of a bitches. get mad. You want to know what it takes to win a Super Bowl? It takes BRASS BALLS to win the Super Bowl. Go and do likewise gents. Trophy's out there. You pick it up, it's yours. You don't, I got no sympathy for you. You wanna go out on the field tonight and win, WIN! It's yours. If not you're gonna be shining my shoes. And you know what you'll be saying - a bunch of losers sittin' around in a bar. 'Oh yeah. I used to be a hockey player. It's a tough racket.'....

sorry, kind of lame i know... :D :Beer

http://theassociation.blogs.com/the_association/baldwin_glengarry_glen_ross-1.jpg

birtikidis
03-03-2010, 11:32 PM
if sid weren't 22 then I'd go with ben. but really, 22... that's friggin awesome.

JTP53609
03-06-2010, 09:02 AM
well, this poll may get a little more one sided here......this stinks living in annapolis, i have stuck up for ben before but now it is getting tougher to do (i did not say harder)

feltdizz
03-06-2010, 12:02 PM
I think it's Sid by a tooth...

Discipline of Steel
05-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Man how a few months changes things! Id love to start this poll over and see what everyone thinks now. At this point in time Id have to go with Sid since he has much more time to build his career resume while Ben has to do some work just to regain his status as a true leader.

Herewegosteelers!
05-19-2010, 07:11 AM
I still think Ben will win at least two more Super Bowls with the Steelers. Sid may win some championships, and will probably end up with better stats.So Ben with titles, Sid with stats. And hockey is a heck of a much better sport than say basketball is. Just saying..

fezziwig
05-19-2010, 07:54 AM
If you measure it in championships I believe it will be Ben. Ben isn't through with the record books either. All to be considered if Ben remains a Steeler.

aggiebones
05-19-2010, 10:35 AM
I'll stick with Sid and that has nothing to do with Ben's antics.

Sid just added another stat title, most goals.

He needs more Cups, they have a sound group to build around, so they'll be in the race every year for awhile and probably as long as Sid is healthy.
He's a good leader and guys will want to play with him.
If he wins one more Cup, then I'd say he's way ahead of Ben.

Sid is possibly the best in the league, certainly top 2 or 3 depending on if you are from da Burgh or Philly or Washington.
Ben at his peak might be top 20-30 player in the league. With a Herculean effort maybe around 10.
There's a big difference from the best player to a top 20 guy.

Jigawatts
05-19-2010, 01:05 PM
I see a few Art Ross trophy's in Sids future, but they may end up naming a scoring title
after Ben. Hiyoooo!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2010, 01:14 PM
I see a few Art Ross trophy's in Sids future, but they may end up naming a scoring title
after Ben. Hiyoooo!!!!!

C'mon now...That will forever be known as the Wilt Chamberlain Award.

:Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0401/nba_a_chamberlain_600.jpg

SteelAbility
05-19-2010, 03:59 PM

But I don't think Sid will be throwing a TD pass for another country either. :? :wink:

Northern_Blitz
05-19-2010, 04:16 PM

But I don't think Sid will be throwing a TD pass for another country either. :? :wink:

It's not Crosby's fault that he was drafted by an American team.

I'm sure he'd rather be playing for his hometown Habs :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Hometown Habs? It's only a 775 mile drive from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia to Montreal, Quebec. Pittsburgh is closer than to Montreal than Sid's hometown (it is only a 605 mile drive from Pittsburgh to Montreal).

Northern_Blitz
05-19-2010, 05:13 PM

Hometown Habs? It's only a 775 mile drive from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia to Montreal, Quebec. Pittsburgh is closer than to Montreal than Sid's hometown (it is only a 605 mile drive from Pittsburgh to Montreal).

But he was a Habs fan growing up.

Sugar
05-19-2010, 06:46 PM
From reading this post, Sid plays hockey, right?

Ben is the only answer that can make sense to me.

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2010, 11:53 PM
[quote=hawaiiansteel]Big Ben - you would never see Ben throwing a TD pass for another country! :lol:

But he was a Habs fan growing up.[/quote:2e5gwnr1]

His father was a goaltender who was drafted by Montreal. That explains it. Troy Crosby was drafted by the Habs in the 12th round of the same draft in which Mario Lemieux was taken 1st overall by Pittsburgh. Unfortunately for Crosby, Montreal drafted another goalie in that draft as well, some guy named Patrick Roy in the 3rd round. So much for a career in net for the Canadiens for Crosby's dad. By the way, Tom Glavine drafted by the L.A. Kings in the 4th round that year as well...yup, the guy who pitched for the Atlanta Braves. Odd draft.

proudpittsburgher
05-20-2010, 10:10 AM
And hockey is a heck of a much better sport than say basketball is. Just saying..

Amen, brother. I am not even a big hockey fan, and I wholeheartedly agree. Yet, because ESPN airs the NBA, they shove it down our throught on ESPN and ESPN radio like anyone gives a damn.

JTP53609
05-20-2010, 12:45 PM
man oh man do I HATE the nba, I dont hate many things, the cowboys, pats, rats, osama bin laden..but the nba is something that I just cant stand. Like you said, espn loves it for some reason and they shove it down our throats. this whole lebron thing is disgusting, it is part of the reason why i have not watched sportscenter for the past few months. the nba puts individuals higher then the team, and the media does too. I heard a few months back that lebron james was quoted as saying that he wishes he could clone himself so that his team could win... wow...not to mention all the chosen one and Gods gift tatoos the guy has, espn could care less about championships and teams, they just like individuals who have no sportsmanship and love themselves. I guess that is why the nba gets so much attention,
meanwhile a sport like hockey, where star players put themselves in front of a 95 mph slap shot in order to shield a goaltender or when they block a shot with no hesitation, that is something that is not even mentioned, but when a nba player hurts their wrist dunking, oh my watch out, it will be the lead story on every media outlet. hockey players care about winning and team, nba players care about me and money....yea i guess with the way todays world is, the nba would be more popular..

feltdizz
05-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Not a big fan of the NBA due to the refs... but you have to be out of your mind if you think Hockey players are head and shoulders above NBA players when you add the skill and physical demands.

Try running up and down 96 ft for 30 to 40 minutes and taking a charge from Lebron or fighting for rebounds amd flying elbows with Garnett or Howard.

Hockey players also have shoulder pads, gloves and helmets and play for 4 minute stints.
I applaud hockey players because skating is hard as hell. However I can't knock the physical demands and skill it takes to play basketball.

Basketball is also 12 players on a team and 5 on the court. It's pretty obvious why individuals are applauded. Sid the kid is treated like Lebron and he has Malkin and a few other decent players stepping up.

Not sure why the NBA is being singled out... I blame the NHL for trying to ask for too much from ESPN after a lock out.

HeHateMe
05-21-2010, 06:56 PM
The NBA Is being singled out because they're arent many white stars so alot of white guys dont like cheering for a bunch of black guys. Kind of lIke a black Tomlin, black Leftwich. If Leftwich starts out hot and we go 4-0 and Tomlin benches Ben in favor of Leftwich the good ole boys of Steeler Nation will run Tomlin out of Town. Just imagine if Leftwich was our starter (2 Time SB winner) and had TWO rape allegations within a year would he receive the SAME support? He would receive some but not the same as Ben. If we went 19-0 without Ben. Guys would be happy but the victory would be bittersweet to some without Ben.
SCREW BEN, HE HAS ISSUES.
OH YEAH......................... I'M BACK

NJ-STEELER
05-22-2010, 01:41 AM
The NBA Is being singled out because they're arent many white stars so alot of white guys dont like cheering for a bunch of black guys. Kind of lIke a black Tomlin, black Leftwich. If Leftwich starts out hot and we go 4-0 and Tomlin benches Ben in favor of Leftwich the good ole boys of Steeler Nation will run Tomlin out of Town. Just imagine if Leftwich was our starter (2 Time SB winner) and had TWO rape allegations within a year would he receive the SAME support? He would receive some but not the same as Ben. If we went 19-0 without Ben. Guys would be happy but the victory would be bittersweet to some without Ben.

hasn't seemed to hurt chaz batch's standing with old man rooney

he's black, right?

hawaiiansteel
05-22-2010, 02:28 AM

hasn't seemed to hurt chaz batch's standing with old man rooney

he's black, right?

what are you trying to do, introduce logic into this discussion? :D

Discipline of Steel
05-22-2010, 09:55 AM

Except this thread is not a referendum on Ben's off-season, rather its primarily about who will have the better career, Ben or Sid. and secondarily it seems, which sport is tougher... football, hockey, or also b-ball?

I wish I had played hockey more when i was living in Michigan so i could have a better first hand impression of the effort required. I would be willing to accept that players in all three sports give it their all, 110% maximum effort. If you assume all sports equal in that respect, their careers will ultimately be judged by their accomplishements... Lombardis and Stanleys if you will, because that is the only true measure of success in any team sport.