PDA

View Full Version : Steelers trying to extend FS Clark at "hometown discount"

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Fri Feb 26, 2010

Steelers trying to extend free safety Clark
By Mark J. Miller

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark can become an unrestricted free agent in one week and the Steelers would like to keep that from happening.

Now that the team has nose tackle Casey Hampton(notes) signed to a three-year, $21.3 million deal and have franchised kicker Jeff Reed the attention is now on getting Clark under contract, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

For those of you hoping the deal doesn't get done so your team can sign one of the league's top free safeties, don't bother. The 30-year-old Clark doesn't appear to want to test free agency and is apparently offering himself at a discount of sorts to the Steelers.

Lebsteel
03-01-2010, 07:40 PM
If that is true, very cool. I'd sign him at a discount and then take Chad Jones in Rd. 2 or Major Wright in Rd. 3 as his eventual replacement.

Mister Pittsburgh
03-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Wonder what the discount for 'the best free safety in football', as his agent put it, would be.

NW Steeler
03-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Wonder what the discount for 'the best free safety in football', as his agent put it, would be.

It better be hell of a discount as compared to the contract of the REAL "best safety in football"!

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2010, 09:36 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":2s4jwu90]Wonder what the discount for 'the best free safety in football', as his agent put it, would be.

It better be hell of a discount as compared to the contract of the REAL "best safety in football"![/quote:2s4jwu90]

my prediction is that the Steelers will end up letting Clark and his agent test the free agent waters, there is just too much of a discrepancy between Ryan Clark's true value and what his agent thinks he's worth.

Steelers | Talks with Clark going slow

Mon, 01 Mar 2010

James Walker, of ESPN.com, reports Joel Turner, agent for Pittsburgh Steelers impending free-agent FS Ryan Clark, said the contract negotiations with the Steelers on a new contract for Clark have been harder than anticipated. "I thought it would be a piece of cake. All things now considered, it's hard to feel that way," Turner said. Turner said he does not believe he has made any outrageous demands during the negotiations. Turner said the two sides have plenty of time before the start of free agency.

stlrz d
03-01-2010, 09:52 PM
If that is true, very cool. I'd sign him at a discount and then take Chad Jones in Rd. 2 or Major Wright in Rd. 3 as his eventual replacement.

[youtube:3ieu83su]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6KDVz3jzyjQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6KDVz3jzyjQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:3ieu83su]

Chadman
03-01-2010, 09:56 PM
No surprise. The Steelers won't enter the draft with 'obvious' needs anywhere. That way there is no need to reach on Draft Day.

Northern_Blitz
03-01-2010, 10:17 PM
No surprise. The Steelers won't enter the draft with 'obvious' needs anywhere. That way there is no need to reach on Draft Day.

Yep, and people will call the FS we draft in the first 3 rounds a bust when he doesn't start in the first game. They'll also say that we don't "coach up" young players just because they can't see whatever the development the player has at practice.

ANPSTEEL
03-01-2010, 11:45 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1ssjgffk]Wonder what the discount for 'the best free safety in football', as his agent put it, would be.

It better be hell of a discount as compared to the contract of the REAL "best safety in football"!

my prediction is that the Steelers will end up letting Clark and his agent test the free agent waters, there is just too much of a discrepancy between Ryan Clark's true value and what his agent thinks he's worth.

Mon, 01 Mar 2010

James Walker, of ESPN.com, reports Joel Turner, agent for Pittsburgh Steelers impending free-agent FS Ryan Clark, said the contract negotiations with the Steelers on a new contract for Clark have been harder than anticipated. "I thought it would be a piece of cake. All things now considered, it's hard to feel that way," Turner said. Turner said he does not believe he has made any outrageous demands during the negotiations. Turner said the two sides have plenty of time before the start of free agency.[/quote:1ssjgffk]

I agree here, plus I believe that you could likely plug one of the following in

DeShea
Mundy
K. Lewis
Carter (this pains me to say)
Madison

if only for a year a season and have greater position flexibility and less cap space tied up.

Would the team prefer Ryan Clark over those options?

Almost certainly. But what is the opportunity cost - risk / reward of paying Clark that $3-$4mil p/yr vs. the other scenarios???

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2010, 11:54 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1jf37z4r]Wonder what the discount for 'the best free safety in football', as his agent put it, would be.

Mon, 01 Mar 2010

James Walker, of ESPN.com, reports Joel Turner, agent for Pittsburgh Steelers impending free-agent FS Ryan Clark, said the contract negotiations with the Steelers on a new contract for Clark have been harder than anticipated. "I thought it would be a piece of cake. All things now considered, it's hard to feel that way," Turner said. Turner said he does not believe he has made any outrageous demands during the negotiations. Turner said the two sides have plenty of time before the start of free agency.

I agree here, plus I believe that you could likely plug one of the following in

DeShea
Mundy
K. Lewis
Carter (this pains me to say)
Madison

if only for a year a season and have greater position flexibility and less cap space tied up.

Would the team prefer Ryan Clark over those options?

Almost certainly. But what is the opportunity cost - risk / reward of paying Clark that $3-$4mil p/yr vs. the other scenarios???[/quote:1jf37z4r]

i beg of you, PLEASE no more Tyrone Carter... :(

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Sirius reported last night that Clark's agent said a deal with the Steelers doesn't look promising. Could be a negotiating tactic but...

Oviedo
03-02-2010, 09:26 AM

Yep, and people will call the FS we draft in the first 3 rounds a bust when he doesn't start in the first game. They'll also say that we don't "coach up" young players just because they can't see whatever the development the player has at practice.

No rookie defensive player we draft in any round will start a single game unless we are decimated by injuries. LeBeau doesn't do that so we have to resign ourselves to watching closely on special teams and waiting until 2012.

Rookies get to play and contribute on the offensive side of the ball for the Steelers not the defensive side.

SteelBucks
03-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Sirius reported last night that Clark's agent said a deal with the Steelers doesn't look promising. Could be a negotiating tactic but...

Clark was on "The Drive" yesterday and said he hasn't received any offers from the team. He didn't sound too happy through out the interview. He said all of the right things (I want to stay, I'm happy here, blah blah blah) but you could tell this was bothering him. I'll be shocked if a contract gets done before the start of FA on Friday.

If he walks, welcome Earl Thomas (if he's still available).

papillon
03-02-2010, 12:17 PM

Clark was on "The Drive" yesterday and said he hasn't received any offers from the team. He didn't sound too happy through out the interview. He said all of the right things (I want to stay, I'm happy here, blah blah blah) but you could tell this was bothering him. I'll be shocked if a contract gets done before the start of FA on Friday.

Earl Thomas even if Clark doesn't walk.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
03-02-2010, 03:46 PM

here is what Clark said - wonder what he is asking for?

Ryan Clark, the next main focus of the Steelers’ front office has gone public with some sentiments.

“I want to be here, my family likes it here. I want to finish playing with Troy. To be honest with you guys, I haven't had an offer yet. Nothing put to paper or even said verbally. You know, we want to get this deal done. I've bent over backwards to get it done. You hear so much you being a priority and things like that, and if you think about it, there's been a number of guys who've signed contracts, and I haven't been offered one. There's been Heath Miller, Justin Hartwig, Brett Keisel, Casey, Jeff. So it's not like it was one guy got signed, the well ran dry and there was nothing they can do. It hasn't been that, so if you think about priorities and prioritizing, I was way down on the list. I'm going to ask the $6.5, $7 million a year - I wouldn't do that. I know how much Troy makes, and I know how much respect I have for Troy as a player and how much I love him as a friend. I don't see myself as Troy, I don't see myself as having to get that type of paid. So it's not a situation of me saying you gotta pay me how Troy's being paid. I'd be a fool to do that. You know, they showed their level of commitment to Jeff, even though it's one year. $2.8 million dollars. Heath Miller, Justin Hartwig - all these guys have been shown some type of love that says 'you know what, we want you here. We're willing to work to get you here.' I haven't gotten that. I'm frustrated and the reason I agreed to come on, but also to do it to someone I was close to, was because I felt like some things needed to be cleared up. I'm specifically saying I'm not asking for $6.5 - $7 million dollars. It's not a situation to where people were saying where they didn't transition tag him because they don't feel like he's worth that much, he's not going to get paid that much. Well, we didn't ask for that much. It's not a situation where we're being unreasonable, or I'm being unreasonable. I want to be here, my family likes it here. I want to finish playing with Troy. Some of my best friends are on this team and in this city. But right now, what I'm saying is it's not in my hands.”

stlrz d
03-02-2010, 10:17 PM

No rookie defensive player we draft in any round will start a single game unless we are decimated by injuries. LeBeau doesn't do that so we have to resign ourselves to watching closely on special teams and waiting until 2012.

Rookies get to play and contribute on the offensive side of the ball for the Steelers not the defensive side.

:Blah

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2010, 03:47 PM
hey Ryan, that's because your agent has set your asking price so unrealistically high...

Ryan Clark still waiting for an offer

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 3, 2010 2:19 PM ET

Steelers tackle Willie Colon's agent wants a trade offer, while Steelers safety Ryan Clark hopes for a contract offer. With less than two days remaining before free agency hits, it doesn't look like Clark will get his wish.

"If you think about priorities and prioritizing, obviously I was way down on the list as they go," Clark told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The two sides have discussed parameters of a deal, but the Steelers look comfortable allowing Clark to hit the market.

The team got a great deal when they signed Clark to a four-year contract for $7 million in 2006. It figures to cost much more per-season to bring him back.

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2010, 02:28 AM
guess we can cross Antrel Rolle off our wish list...it's this kind of unreasonable demand that makes Ryan Clark's agent hopeful of receiving the big bucks also.

Cardinals | Rolle seeking $8 million annually

Wed, 03 Mar 2010

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Arizona Cardinals FS Antrel Rolle is expecting a contract that averages $8 million annually, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. The source said Rolle has already turned down a contract offer from the Cardinals that averages more than $6 million annually.

hawaiiansteel
03-04-2010, 03:20 AM
Clark's agent doesn't expect a deal soon

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 4, 2010

If the Steelers want free safety Ryan Clark back, they may have to bid against other teams for his services.

Clark can shop himself around after today, and his agent said he's "not optimistic" that he will get a deal done with the Steelers before the start of the free agent signing period.

Free agency begins at 12:01 a.m. Friday.

"The reality of it is we're just not in agreement on what I feel his worth is," Clark's agent, Joel Turner, said Wednesday. "We'll get something done if they want to. It's that simple. Don't know that we will, but it's not a situation where either side has told the other one 'We're moving on.' "

Clark, an unrestricted free agent, wants to stay with the Steelers. Director of football operations Kevin Colbert has said the Steelers want the eighth-year veteran to return.

But Colbert also indicated at the recent NFL Scouting Combine that the Steelers may be willing to let Clark test the open market before signing him to a long-term deal.

"I think they feel obligated to look and see what's out there," Colbert said last week. "That's OK because when a player comes back and we're able to sign him and they've done their homework and they feel their best opportunity is here, then everybody feels better."

Clark has started for the Steelers since signing a four-year, $7 million contract with them in 2006. He tied for the team lead in interceptions last season (three) and was second on the Steelers in tackles (89).

The loss of Clark, 30, would leave the Steelers thin at free safety and probably needing to address the position in free agency or the NFL Draft in April.

Since coming to Pittsburgh, Clark has overcome a life-threatening medical situation — he had to have his spleen and gall bladder removed during the 2007 season — and helped the Steelers win a Super Bowl.

Turner said Clark told him "point blank" that he doesn't want to leave the Steelers. Turner added that he expects talks between he and the Steelers to go right up to the end of the team's exclusive negotiating rights with Clark.

"What we're trying to do," Turner said, "is see if we can come to an agreement on what we feel is Ryan's value to the organization."

STEELERS MAKE OFFERS

The Steelers tendered an offer yesterday to cornerback William Gay, a restricted free agent who started 14 games in 2009.

The team also tendered tight end Matt Spaeth, who was selected along with Gay in the 2007 NFL Draft.

The Steelers will receive a fifth-round pick for Gay and a third-round pick for Spaeth if they sign with another team. The free agency period begins Friday.

Starting tackle Willie Colon and punter Daniel Sepulveda were tendered offers from the Steelers on Tuesday.

The Steelers didn't tender offers to Darnell Stapleton or Carey Davis, making them UFAs.

Oviedo
03-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Ryan Clark and his agents are frustrated because they want an offer from the Steelers that they will then shop around to a bunch of other teams and try to get more. The Steelers aren't playing their game.

I like the way the Steelers are playing this by letting other teams make the first offer and then seeing if they are willing to match or better it.

However, if Clark and his agent don't stop their public whining he it will become a "self fulfilling prophecy" that his is out of town. The Steelers don't negotiate in the media and the Clark camp is seriously mistaking if they think that tactic works with this team.

Northern_Blitz
03-04-2010, 04:22 PM

This statement is also generally true for the Offence. This is not a LeBeau issue, it is a Steelers issue. We bring in servicable vets so we don't have to rely on rookies to make significant contributions. It's one of the reasons we are consistantly competitive.

Examples

Mendenhall got 19 carries in his first year. He didn't start until game 4, and that was becasue FWP was hurt. He also wasn't the starter to begin his second year.

Sweed got 6 catches in his rookie year. Most of the looks he got happened at the end of the year when Hines was hobbling around.

Urbik didn't see the field at all this year. Foster got in becasue of injuries on the line.

Wallace didn't start this year. He did get a chance to come in and make some great plays as a 3rd WR. This is similar to Woodley coming in on passing downs and spelling at OLB to contribute 4 sacks as a rook. Offensive strategy = defensive strategy.

Looking back further:

Holmes made a good contribution as a rookie. Many were howling that year that we only had one good WR (Hines). The other starter was Ced Wilson...not exactly a world beater. Still, Holmes only started 4 games. Ced missed on game that year, but I don't remember if that was Holmes' first start.

Heath is probabally the one guy who's the exception. He had 15 starts in his first year. But, IIRC that was in large part becasue we started games with 2 TEs so he could get credit for the start. We also went into that draft needing a TE. That was the one draft I remember where almost everyone predicted our pick.

Even Ben, who is clearly awesome, only started in his rookie year because the servicable vet in front of him got injured.

We try to go into drafts without glaring needs so we can pick the guys we think are the best. That means that the guys we pick have more experienced guys in front of them and we generally make them compete to supplant them. This is not a Defensive strategy. This is a TEAM STRATEGY.