PDA

View Full Version : Colbert: Our defense is no more complicated than others

hawaiiansteel
02-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Kevin Colbert quote:

“I'm assuming our defense is no more complicated than anyone else's in the NFL.

Sometimes, we expect young players to step in and be impact guys. But it's more the exception than the rule. Not only is the competition stepped up dramatically but so is the learning curve. When we get young players playing a significant amount of time early, we think that's a bonus. I don't think you can determine a player's success until two to three years down the road because there's a big adjustment. The younger the player, the harder the adjustment because he might be skipping part of his development, which would be his senior year. I don't think you can honestly judge how a player did or didn't do until two or three years down the road.”

Jom112
02-26-2010, 05:12 PM
. The younger the player, the harder the adjustment because he might be skipping part of his development, which would be his senior year.

Is that comment directed towards Timmons? :stirpot

fezziwig
02-26-2010, 06:14 PM
I don't know if it is directed towards Timmons but it does give Timmons the out. I'm sure the Steelers defense is one of if not the most difficult defense to grasp. I think their scheme allows for the good defenses we have had over the years. I'm not saying we don't have talented players that make the difference but, you have to admit our defenses are usually on top.

feltdizz
02-26-2010, 06:39 PM
I thought it was the norm to give a player 3 years before given a true assessment.

RuthlessBurgher
02-26-2010, 09:21 PM
I thought it was the norm to give a player 3 years before given a true assessment.

Except on message boards. Then they are only given 3 minicamp sessions. If a rookie isn't entrenched as a starter by then, he's a bust.

NorthCoast
02-27-2010, 03:59 PM
I don't know if it is directed towards Timmons but it does give Timmons the out. I'm sure the Steelers defense is one of if not the most difficult defense to grasp. I think their scheme allows for the good defenses we have had over the years. I'm not saying we don't have talented players that make the difference but, you have to admit our defenses are usually on top.

It's actually pretty remarkable. In the last 20 yrs the Steelers defense has ranked in the top 10 in yds allowed 15 times. The scoring defense has been in the top 10 13 times and missed the top half of the league in total defense only once.

We have witnessed some awesome defenses over the years.

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2010, 04:36 PM

It's actually pretty remarkable. In the last 20 yrs the Steelers defense has ranked in the top 10 in yds allowed 15 times. The scoring defense has been in the top 10 13 times and missed the top half of the league in total defense only once.

That means we much switch to a 4-3 immediately! :wink:

feltdizz
02-27-2010, 05:11 PM

why were ever a 3-4 team is beyond me... LOL!!!

hawaiiansteel
02-27-2010, 05:17 PM

why were ever a 3-4 team is beyond me... LOL!!!

if we only had played a 4-3 defense instead of the 3-4 we would have won all of the last 5 Super Bowls instead of ONLY 2 of the last 5... :roll:

fezziwig
02-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Wait the day when one team brings together a few good linemen and wins the Super Bowl with the 4-3. By that time many offenses will be slow in reaction to a 4-3 being they don't see them enough and all of a sudden, the freakin annoucers and teams will be rushing to bring back the 4-3.