PDA

View Full Version : Signing Hampton and Tagging Reed--What does it mean?

Oviedo
02-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Hampton and Reed are in for 2010. IMO this means that unless Ryan Clark takes a "hometown discount" he is gone.

Does this mean Taylor Mays, S at #18? He is attractive when you look that he can potentially play both FS and SS. The ability to play SS is a huge insurance policy for Troy getting hurt. Not sure any other Safety offers you the ability to play both Safety positions.

Lebsteel
02-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Hampton and Reed are in for 2010. IMO this means that unless Ryan Clark takes a "hometown discount" he is gone.

Does this mean Taylor Mays, S at #18? He is attractive when you look that he can potentially play both FS and SS. The ability to play SS is a huge insurance policy for Troy getting hurt. Not sure any other Safety offers you the ability to play both Safety positions.
Chad Jones can play both positions and is about the same size as Mays. I doubt he has the speed of Mays. We will soon see! We might be able to get Jones in Round 2 and go with a LB or DE in Rd. 1.

cruzer8
02-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Very interesting point and I was wondering that myself.

Maybe Clark takes the HTDC and they still go safety for depth/future needs/injury insurance?

papillon
02-25-2010, 12:30 PM

It brings many options into play and doesn't allow other teams to determine who the Steelers may be targeting in the early rounds. While I'm not crazy about the 3 years on the deal, it does, from a business standpoint give the Steelers many options. It's all good as far as I can tell for the near term and the long term.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2010, 12:40 PM
I want a free safety in the first half of the draft (Earl Thomas in round 1, Nate Allen or Chad Jones in round 2, Morgan Burnett or Major Wright in round 3, Myron Lewis or Robert Johnson in round 4).

I also want a strong safety in the second half of the draft to back up Troy and replace Ty Carter (Myron Rolle in rounds 4 or 5, Barry Church or T.J. Ward or Van Eskeridge in rounds 5 or 6, Kam Chancellor or Justin Woodall in rounds 6 or 7).

cruzer8
02-25-2010, 12:49 PM

It brings many options into play and doesn't allow other teams to determine who the Steelers may be targeting in the early rounds. While I'm not crazy about the 3 years on the deal, it does, from a business standpoint give the Steelers many options. It's all good as far as I can tell for the near term and the long term.

Pappy

$10 million isn't guaranteed money. Just keep that in mind. If Casey shows he isn't worth keeping beyond a season or two (out of the three) then it's not too bad of a hit.

phillyesq
02-25-2010, 01:00 PM

I think that a three year extension for Hampton certainly crosses NT off the list of potential first round picks.

I'm not sure that Ryan Clark will have to take a "discount" but I'm not sure that he'll get the money he is looking for, either. He is a nice compliment to Troy, but in Troy's absence, showed himself to be a league average safety, no more, no less. If he wants to return for something like 3 years, 6 or 7 million, great. If not, he is very replaceable. The strongest argument for retaining Clark is continuity - Carter will be replaced, and hopefully Mundy too. Keeping some stability while adding youth will be beneficial.

If Clark doesn't resign, I think the Steelers will bring in a veteran FA safety who is capable of starting before the draft. Not a star, but somebody capable. This will allow them to consider upgrades at FS early in the draft, but it won't force them into a pick for need.

Whether or not Clark resigns, I think the Steelers could go FS, ILB or OL in the first round, or CB if somebody proves worthy.

Oviedo
02-25-2010, 02:17 PM

I think that a three year extension for Hampton certainly crosses NT off the list of potential first round picks.

I'm not sure that Ryan Clark will have to take a "discount" but I'm not sure that he'll get the money he is looking for, either. He is a nice compliment to Troy, but in Troy's absence, showed himself to be a league average safety, no more, no less. If he wants to return for something like 3 years, 6 or 7 million, great. If not, he is very replaceable. The strongest argument for retaining Clark is continuity - Carter will be replaced, and hopefully Mundy too. Keeping some stability while adding youth will be beneficial.

If Clark doesn't resign, I think the Steelers will bring in a veteran FA safety who is capable of starting before the draft. Not a star, but somebody capable. This will allow them to consider upgrades at FS early in the draft, but it won't force them into a pick for need.

Whether or not Clark resigns, I think the Steelers could go FS, ILB or OL in the first round, or CB if somebody proves worthy.

One interesting dynamic is that you can pretty much be certain that none of the AFC West teams will be bidding for his services because of his Denver problem.

I'm not sure that Clark has a lot of leverage with teams.

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2010, 02:20 PM

One interesting dynamic is that you can pretty much be certain that none of the AFC West teams will be bidding for his services because of his Denver problem.

I'm not sure that Clark has a lot of leverage with teams.

He should sign with the Broncos and play only road games. :wink:

hawaiiansteel
02-25-2010, 03:22 PM
I can tell you one result of franchising Jeff Reed -

workers at all Pittsburgh area Sheetz stores have been instructed to add a few extra bolts to the paper towel dispensers. :lol:

NW Steeler
02-25-2010, 03:35 PM

Chad Jones can play both positions and is about the same size as Mays. I doubt he has the speed of Mays. We will soon see! We might be able to get Jones in Round 2 and go with a LB or DE in Rd. 1.

With Hampton re-signed, Kiesel on a longer deal and Ziggy progressing, DE may be a luxury in this draft, at least in the first round. I think if the Steelers are high on Spoon or Mays that they will be the pick. If Clark re-signs, then it has to be down to ILB or OT/OG.

hawaiiansteel
02-25-2010, 05:41 PM
this is impressive about Casey Hampton -

When Hampton Is In, Steelers Are Solid

Casey Hampton has played in at least 13 games each season since 2005, anchoring a Steelers defensive line that has been one of the best at stopping the run.

Rushing Defense, Past 5 Seasons

Rushing ypg allowed NFL rank
2009 89.9 3rd
2008 80.3 2nd
2007 89.9 3rd
2006 88.3 3rd
2005 86.0 3rd

Chadman
02-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Filling the NT & Kicker positions by re-signing Hampton & franchising Reed means that the Steelers are 2 steps closer to not having to 'reach' in the draft. It's where they like to be every draft- going in with all positions 'filled', even if upgrades are still required.

It puts the Steelers in a strong position come draft time, and allows them flexability to choose the BPA, and plan for 1 or 2 seasons down the track.

phillyesq
02-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Filling the NT & Kicker positions by re-signing Hampton & franchising Reed means that the Steelers are 2 steps closer to not having to 'reach' in the draft. It's where they like to be every draft- going in with all positions 'filled', even if upgrades are still required.

It puts the Steelers in a strong position come draft time, and allows them flexability to choose the BPA, and plan for 1 or 2 seasons down the track.

:Agree