PDA

View Full Version : Draft Watch: AFC North... Steelers

NKySteeler
02-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Draft Watch: AFC North
February, 24, 2010
By James Walker

Pittsburgh Steelers

Busts: Similar to the Ravens, the Steelers do not make a lot of mistakes at the top of the draft. Six of Pittsburgh's past seven first-round picks are starters. That includes quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, safety Troy Polamalu, receiver Santonio Holmes and tailback Rashard Mendenhall. Pittsburgh has had some issues in the second round. In 2008, the Steelers were hoping Limas Sweed could be the big receiver they were looking for, but that hasn't panned out. In 2004, second-round cornerback Ricardo Colclough had zero starts in four years before being released.

Gems: Last year's third-round pick Mike Wallace already is a significant addition to Pittsburgh's offense. His deep speed was needed, and he had 39 receptions for 756 yards and six touchdowns as a rookie. Pittsburgh also has been fortunate to find starting offensive linemen late in the draft. Offensive tackle Willie Colon and guard Chris Kemoeatu were taken in the fourth and sixth rounds, respectively. Dennis Dixon, who was taken in the fifth round in 2008, also could develop into a solid backup quarterback.

Biggest Needs: Just one year removed from winning a Super Bowl, the Steelers do not have a lot of major needs. But a 9-7 season exposed some weaknesses with Pittsburgh, and cornerback is probably the biggest. William Gay was not ready to make the jump to a full-time starter in 2009. Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, there are not a lot of corners with first-round grades thus far, although that may change after the combine and individual workouts.

The status of Pro Bowl nose tackle and pending free agent Casey Hampton is another issue. The Steelers could use the franchise tag to keep Hampton for at least another year while they try to find a replacement. Defensive tackle Dan Williams from the University of Tennessee would be an enticing draft option in the first round. Depth on the offensive line is also needed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, Sean Weatherspoon, Jared Odrick or Bryan Bulaga in the first.

CB in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round...

phillyesq
02-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Pretty good assessment. As much as we complain about some of the misses after the first round, the Steelers success in the first round during the Colbert era is quite remarkable.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-25-2010, 01:05 AM
Draft Watch: AFC North
February, 24, 2010
By James Walker

Pittsburgh Steelers

Busts: Similar to the Ravens, the Steelers do not make a lot of mistakes at the top of the draft. Six of Pittsburgh's past seven first-round picks are starters. That includes quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, safety Troy Polamalu, receiver Santonio Holmes and tailback Rashard Mendenhall. Pittsburgh has had some issues in the second round. In 2008, the Steelers were hoping Limas Sweed could be the big receiver they were looking for, but that hasn't panned out. In 2004, second-round cornerback Ricardo Colclough had zero starts in four years before being released.

Gems: Last year's third-round pick Mike Wallace already is a significant addition to Pittsburgh's offense. His deep speed was needed, and he had 39 receptions for 756 yards and six touchdowns as a rookie. Pittsburgh also has been fortunate to find starting offensive linemen late in the draft. Offensive tackle Willie Colon and guard Chris Kemoeatu were taken in the fourth and sixth rounds, respectively. Dennis Dixon, who was taken in the fifth round in 2008, also could develop into a solid backup quarterback.

Biggest Needs: Just one year removed from winning a Super Bowl, the Steelers do not have a lot of major needs. But a 9-7 season exposed some weaknesses with Pittsburgh, and cornerback is probably the biggest. William Gay was not ready to make the jump to a full-time starter in 2009. Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, there are not a lot of corners with first-round grades thus far, although that may change after the combine and individual workouts.

The status of Pro Bowl nose tackle and pending free agent Casey Hampton is another issue. The Steelers could use the franchise tag to keep Hampton for at least another year while they try to find a replacement. Defensive tackle Dan Williams from the University of Tennessee would be an enticing draft option in the first round. Depth on the offensive line is also needed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

Nice post, NKy, and in addition, I think you should get a Stemmy for most consistently awesome FORMATTING of posts as well!

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Nice post, NKy, and in addition, I think you should get a Stemmy for most consistently awesome FORMATTING of posts as well!

Colors that stand out, underlining for emphasis, varied font sizes...it's a thing of beauty. :lol:

Oviedo
02-25-2010, 11:12 AM
NT seems to be a problem that has been solved, but I still think you need to draft a player to develop in that position in Round 3 or 4. Hoke can't last forever and you just hope Hampton can avoid injuries for the next 3 years.

steelblood
02-25-2010, 11:33 AM
I agree Oviedo.

Hoke can be cut if we find a really good backup NT. If the player is a developmental guy, we can keep all three as we often go with 7 DLinemen total. Also, if we draft a guy like Cam Thomas, he could play NT and DE.

Northern_Blitz
02-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Pretty good assessment. As much as we complain about some of the misses after the first round, the Steelers success in the first round during the Colbert era is quite remarkable.

I know that alot of people are complaining that we don't play early picks right away, but I believe that is the reason for this success. We give the kids a chance to learn so that when they get in there the game isn't too big for them. I think that this protects them from busting (which I think is usually mental, since phisically they're all practically super-human).

Slapstick
02-25-2010, 01:38 PM
If Hoke sucked or had a disproportionately large contract, I might consider cutting him...but, since all he does is come in and perform well when his number is called and for a reasonable contract, I don't understand why some people are so hot to get rid of him...