PDA

View Full Version : I'd hold off on Ryan Clark...

Dee Dub
02-24-2010, 01:47 PM
There is a good chance this guy could be available...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81689343&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

• Cardinals S Antrel Rolle ($4 million roster bonus; $8.1 million salary) - After struggling early in his career, Rolle played at a Pro Bowl level in 2009. But the Cards have other players looking for new deals and generally hold a firm budget on spending. $12 million for a safety is a lot of money for them, even with Karlos Dansby likely coming off the books. One of the more interesting March subplots.

williar
02-24-2010, 02:10 PM
He'll want a ton of money too. After what I saw from the cardinals defense, especially their secondary, I'm not too enamored with any of those guys. I like Ryan and I hope we sign him. However, I won't be crying any tears if we don't. I just hope that we have a better plan then Ryan Mundy. Like another case of just conveniently plugging in someone we already have to save money, (like the William Gay experiment).

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2010, 02:15 PM
I thought the part at the end about the Bears trying to decide whether or not to keep Tommie Harris was interesting, because I remember someone back on the Trib board trying to argue the merits of trading Roethlisberger for Harris back then. Who the heck was that?

Bears LB Lance Briggs has a $3.3 million roster bonus due on June 10, on top of his $3.145 million salary. The Bears generally hold the line on spending, but according to sources, came away from their internal organizational meetings deciding to keep Briggs for 2010 even at this cost, barring something unforeseen. Similarly, the team also seriously mulled the option of parting with DT Tommie Harris, who is coming off a poor season with a career-low 2.5 sacks, but for now expect to retain him. Harris is due to make $1.25 million in 2010, with a $2.5 million roster bonus due in June, and a $500,000 offseason workout bonus as well.

Dee Dub
02-24-2010, 02:20 PM
He'll want a ton of money too. After what I saw from the cardinals defense, especially their secondary, I'm not too enamored with any of those guys. I like Ryan and I hope we sign him. However, I won't be crying any tears if we don't. I just hope that we have a better plan then Ryan Mundy. Like another case of just conveniently plugging in someone we already have to save money, (like the William Gay experiment).

A ton of money?? He will get what he is worth. Signing Ryan Clark is not going to be cheap. Why not up that a little and sign a FS who is better? Rolle is fast becoming one of the league’s premier free safeties and that would be a boom for the Steelers to have that type at both safety positions.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-24-2010, 02:31 PM
I would take Rolle over Clark.

Dee Dub
02-24-2010, 03:06 PM
I would take Rolle over Clark.

Me too....even if it cost the Steelers a lil more money to do so.

NW Steeler
02-24-2010, 03:28 PM
The Steelers aren't going to give Rolle 8mil per season. If he is released, I'm sure that another team will definitely outbid the Steelers.

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2010, 03:35 PM
I was very disappointed in Ryan Clark's play last season. When Troy went out with an injury, instead of stepping up and filling the void Clark showed himself to be an average safety at best.

I would not sign Clark to a big contract, the money would be better spent on another FA safety or an early draft choice.

ikestops85
02-24-2010, 03:53 PM
I think we are all in agreement not to give Clark a big contract. I don't see us signing any other safety for big money. We are already paying big bucks for Troy so as far as the safety position goes we can't pay big bucks to another one. We sign either Clark or another middle of the road safety, draft a guy to inherit the position in a year or two and hope we hit the jackpot.

Getting stars at every position is not the way to win. If it were the Deadskins would be champions every year. You need role players to compliment your stars. Ryan Clark is an excellent role player so I think it would be great to re-sign him. But if we can't reach an agreement for reasonable dollars so be it.

To me this is an important year in the draft for us. We have to hit the jackpot at one of the defensive backs positions or face more years like this past one as far as turnovers go when Troy's level of play starts to slip.

Dee Dub
02-24-2010, 03:55 PM
The Steelers aren't going to give Rolle 8mil per season. If he is released, I'm sure that another team will definitely outbid the Steelers.

Uhhhhhh...that's what he makes now...that is not what he will make as an unrestricted free agent.

That was his CB money. He was moved after that to FS.

NW Steeler
02-24-2010, 03:59 PM
I realize that $8mil was his current salary, but you would think that he would be looking for something in that neighborhood. I'm just saying that I don't think the Steelers will outbid anyone for him. $3-4 mil per season? Maybe.

Dee Dub
02-24-2010, 04:02 PM
I would not sign Clark to a big contract, the money would be better spent on another FA safety or an early draft choice.

Me either however it has been reported that the Steelers are considering putting a transition tag on him or even the franshise tag and transitioning Hampton. If that happens why not just pay someone who is better and younger like Rolle? Rolle is now a Pro-Bowl free safety...Clark will never be that.

ikestops85
02-24-2010, 04:08 PM

Me either however it has been reported that the Steelers are considering putting a transition tag on him or even the franshise tag and transitioning Hampton. If that happens why not just pay someone who is better and younger like Rolle? Rolle is now a Pro-Bowl free safety...Clark will never be that.

I don't see any way the Steelers put a tag on Clark ... although it is an uncapped year. Hmmm? :?

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2010, 04:08 PM

the Steelers won't tag Clark, he just plain and simply isn't worth anywhere near the kind of money that would require us to pay him.

Dee Dub
02-24-2010, 04:11 PM

the Steelers won't tag Clark, he just plain and simply isn't worth anywhere near the kind of money that would require us to pay him.

Well according to Ed Bouchette's chat-wrap the Steelers have considered it.

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Giving Clark either tag is ludicrous. Franchise Hampton, Transition Reed. End of story. Clark is not worth the $6+ million price tag that would come from tagging a safety.

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Giving Clark either tag is ludicrous. Franchise Hampton, Transition Reed. End of story. Clark is not worth the $6+ million price tag that would come from tagging a safety.

ikestops85
02-24-2010, 04:33 PM

What he said ... twice :lol:

NJ-STEELER
02-24-2010, 05:03 PM
draft his brother myron instead

NW Steeler
02-24-2010, 05:22 PM

Listened to part of an interview with Myron on the SVP show on ESPN. An impressive guy for sure, at least on an intellectual basis.

phillyesq
02-24-2010, 08:28 PM

Room for one more on this bandwagon? :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2010, 10:05 PM

Myron Rolle and Antrel Rolle are not related.

Samari Rolle is Myron Rolle's cousin, though.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-24-2010, 11:49 PM
I'd love to see Antrelle Rolle in Black and Gold.

Unfortunately, I think it has about as much chance happening as Barack Obama endorsing
Sarah Palin in 2012 Presidential Race.

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2010, 11:06 AM
I'd love to see Antrelle Rolle in Black and Gold.

Unfortunately, I think it has about as much chance happening as Barack Obama endorsing
Sarah Palin in 2012 Presidential Race.

Obama should endorse Palin for President in 2012 because he'd love to run against Caribou Barbie, since it would virtually assure a second term for him. :wink:

Oviedo
02-25-2010, 11:21 AM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":32w3lo7u]draft his brother myron instead

Listened to part of an interview with Myron on the SVP show on ESPN. An impressive guy for sure, at least on an intellectual basis.[/quote:32w3lo7u]

I'd be cautious on Rolle. He got more hype at FSU for his academic prowess, great character versus his athletic prowess. He is IMO an average Pro prospect. He is not fast and does not have great catch up speed. From 2006-2008 he only had one INT, so he is not the "ballhawk" everyone is screaming for. IMO he is more suited to replacing Tyrone Carter than he is Ryan Clark.

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2010, 11:25 AM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":1kc8fx74]draft his brother myron instead

Listened to part of an interview with Myron on the SVP show on ESPN. An impressive guy for sure, at least on an intellectual basis.

I'd be cautious on Rolle. He got more hype at FSU for his academic prowess, great character versus his athletic prowess. He is IMO an average Pro prospect. He is not fast and does not have great catch up speed. From 2006-2008 he only had one INT, so he is not the "ballhawk" everyone is screaming for. IMO he is more suited to replacing Tyrone Carter than he is Ryan Clark.[/quote:1kc8fx74]

Agreed. I would prefer to take a ball-hawking free safety such as Earl Thomas in round 1 or Nate Allen in round 2, then also taking Rolle in the mid-rounds to back up Troy at SS (replacing Ty Carter). With Troy's injury history, Clark's free agent status, Carter's age and ineffectiveness, and Mundy's lack of experience or impact, we should be bringing in more than one new safety.

Dee Dub
02-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Agreed. I would prefer to take a ball-hawking free safety such as Earl Thomas in round 1 or Nate Allen in round 2, then also taking Rolle in the mid-rounds to back up Troy at SS (replacing Ty Carter). With Troy's injury history, Clark's free agent status, Carter's age and ineffectiveness, and Mundy's lack of experience or impact, we should be bringing in more than one new safety.

i personally would prefer this guy...

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... EASON=2009 (http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27812&SPID=2164&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=785341&Q_SEASON=2009)

Give me...

1-Jared Odrick DT
2-Chad Jones FS
3-Toby Gerhart RB/Jordan Shipley WR/Lamarr Houston NT

..and I think the Steelers hit a homerun.

NW Steeler
02-25-2010, 12:52 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":118zew58]draft his brother myron instead

I'd be cautious on Rolle. He got more hype at FSU for his academic prowess, great character versus his athletic prowess. He is IMO an average Pro prospect. He is not fast and does not have great catch up speed. From 2006-2008 he only had one INT, so he is not the "ballhawk" everyone is screaming for. IMO he is more suited to replacing Tyrone Carter than he is Ryan Clark.

Agreed. I would prefer to take a ball-hawking free safety such as Earl Thomas in round 1 or Nate Allen in round 2, then also taking Rolle in the mid-rounds to back up Troy at SS (replacing Ty Carter). With Troy's injury history, Clark's free agent status, Carter's age and ineffectiveness, and Mundy's lack of experience or impact, we should be bringing in more than one new safety.[/quote:118zew58]

Agrred. I think there will be at least two new faces in the safety position next year.

Dee Dub
02-25-2010, 01:06 PM

It's a transition tag. And that is about $2,600,000.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10056/1038588-66.stm

The Steelers are not expected to make free safety Ryan Clark their transition player, which would carry $2,629,000 contract.

papillon
02-25-2010, 01:07 PM
[quote="NW Steeler":3nk8jofc][quote="NJ-STEELER":3nk8jofc]draft his brother myron instead

Agreed. I would prefer to take a ball-hawking free safety such as Earl Thomas in round 1 or Nate Allen in round 2, then also taking Rolle in the mid-rounds to back up Troy at SS (replacing Ty Carter). With Troy's injury history, Clark's free agent status, Carter's age and ineffectiveness, and Mundy's lack of experience or impact, we should be bringing in more than one new safety.[/quote:3nk8jofc]

Agrred. I think there will be at least two new faces in the safety position next year.[/quote:3nk8jofc]

http://www.pittsburghsportstavern.com/forum/images/smilies/praying.gif

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2010, 01:08 PM

The Steelers are not expected to make free safety Ryan Clark their transition player, which would carry $2,629,000 contract.

The transition tag for kickers is $2,629,000.
The transition tag for safeties is $6,011,000.

Dee Dub
02-25-2010, 02:28 PM

I didnt write that. It came from the Post-Gazette article.

RuthlessBurgher
02-25-2010, 02:35 PM
[quote=RuthlessBurgher]Giving Clark either tag is ludicrous. Franchise Hampton, Transition Reed. End of story. Clark is not worth the $6+ million price tag that would come from tagging a safety.

I didnt write that. It came from the Post-Gazette article.[/quote:5xycy4yk]

Well, then the Post-Gazette is wrong. It's sad that guys who write about professional football for a living don't understand that franchise and transition tag numbers are different based upon the position you play. Big time sloppy reporting by them.

hawaiiansteel
02-26-2010, 03:56 PM
I would consider Sean Jones to be an upgrade over Ryan Clark. We should kick the tires on him, at least let Ryan Clark know that there are some other options out there and maybe Clark will bring his asking price down.

Eagles | Not expected to re-sign FS Sean Jones
)
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:58:21 -0800

Jeff McLane, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports the Philadelphia Eagles are not expected to re-sign impending free-agent FS Sean Jones.