PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs. The Nation Game Notes

steelblood
02-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Texas vs. the Nation Game Notes…

North Carolina DE E.J. Wilson was very impressive. He is 6’2 280lbs. and has deceptive speed, good strength, and quick hands to be effective pressuring the QB. He registered 2 sacks, a few more pressures, and a fumble recovery. Against the run he was not always stout, but he is quick off the snap and a good tackler.

Trindon Holliday of LSU is only 5’5” 165 lbs. But, it didn’t matter. Scoring on a long pass reception and out of the “I” in short yardage, Holliday showed he was more than just a nifty returner. He fights the ball a bit as a receiver, but he rarely drops it.

Ryan Perilloux formerly of LSU and Jacksonville State showed great pocket presence. He was calm in the face of pressure. He has great touch to drop the ball into open areas and good arm strength for the deep ball. He runs well and is great at avoiding rushers. Perilloux was kicked off of LSU for violating several team rules (skipping workouts, marijuana, late for meetings). Still, if he has matured, he’d be worth a late rounder as he has the physical makeup of a good starting QB.

A couple of players from William and Mary (Tomlin’s alma mater) caught my eye. Sean Lissamore is a 6’4 286 lbs. DT. He pressured the QB into a safety after ripping trough Penn State’s Loadholt. He also split the C and G and made a nice TFL on a running play. He has a good skill set for 3-4 DE and could be available in the later rounds. Adrian Tracy is a 6’3 248 lbs. former DE who showed good instincts, feet and tackling technique. He is not a natural pass rusher, but he shows enough athleticism to develop. He relishes contact and was productive.

Ramon Harewood had an up and down day. The 6’6 360 lbs offensive linemen from Morehouse really struggles with technique. Playing guard for most of the day, he constantly stood almost straight up at the snap. Still, he had so much natural strength that he could simply lean on the DTs and push them 3-5 yards down the line or down field. Harewood runs well in a straight line. He has the footspeed to get out and reach linebackers in the running game. Quick DTs did get some penetration on him. I’d love to see an NFL offensive line coach give this kid a shot. He is naturally strong, huge, and moves moderately well in a straight line. If he could improve his lateral agility and learn to stay low, he could be a very good guard in the NFL.

Jared Veldheer is a 6’7” 320 lbs OT from Hillsdale. He was a highly regarded division II player. Many pundits had him getting drafted in the 3rd-5th round in April. After watching him play, I’d say he is a little overrated. He has really short arms for his height (at least it appears so). He has good athleticism, but his kick slide is too slow. He gave up a sack to an excellent speed rusher from Stillman named Junior Galette. After the sack, Nation coaches gave Veldheer constant chip help even when Galette was out of the game. Veldheer is an average run blocker at best.

Other players that showed some promise include Shorter College’s A.J. Cooley a good sized back who ran between the tackles with good pad level and good vision and Kelton Tindal WR Newberry who has fantastic speed and showed decent hands in bringing down a long pass. I really look forward to seeing Tindal run with the big school speedsters at the combine.

-steelblood

Jom112
02-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Jared Veldheer is a 6’7” 320 lbs OT from Hillsdale. He was a highly regarded division II player. Many pundits had him getting drafted in the 3rd-5th round in April. After watching him play, I’d say he is a little overrated. He has really short arms for his height (at least it appears so). He has good athleticism, but his kick slide is too slow. He gave up a sack to an excellent speed rusher from Stillman named Junior Galette. After the sack, Nation coaches gave Veldheer constant chip help even when Galette was out of the game. Veldheer is an average run blocker at best.
-steelblood

Good info on Veldheer. Haven't seen him play yet, but he's certainly being hyped up a lot. Keep hearing comparisons to Sebastain Vollmer because he's from a smaller school.

Any thoughts/comments on Marcus Easley? I think he might turn into a good WR especially considering he'll probably be a mid round pick...

steelblood
02-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I don't have anything written down on Easley. But, I must confess that I didn't concentrate on the wide receivers. It is very difficult to evaluate them on TV because we only see the beginning of their routes. After that they are off screen (unless the ball goes their way).

It was a very sloppy game with most of the big plays resulting from miscues and mistakes and not good play.

Have you seen David Reed from Utah play? He'd be an excellent and versatile late round receiver. He could play in 3 and 4 receiver sets from day one. He's smart, deceptively strong, and slippery. He has good size and great body control. I can't wait to see what he runs. If it is in the low 4.5 range that should be good enough for him to stay under the radar.

Blair White of Michigan State is a good late round/UDFA possession receiver. Great hands, very smart, good technician.

I really like Dezmond Briscoe from Kansas too. He'll probably go earilier (round 3 maybe). He is 6'3 200lbs and has good quickness and elusiveness to go along with a killer second gear. I think that kind of initial quickness is rare in taller recievers. He has the size, burst/speed, elusiveness to be a very good starter (especially if he fills out a little and learns to run better routes).

Jom112
02-09-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't have anything written down on Easley. But, I must confess that I didn't concentrate on the wide receivers. It is very difficult to evaluate them on TV because we only see the beginning of their routes. After that they are off screen (unless the ball goes their way).

It was a very sloppy game with most of the big plays resulting from miscues and mistakes and not good play.

Have you seen David Reed from Utah play? He'd be an excellent and versatile late round receiver. He could play in 3 and 4 receiver sets from day one. He's smart, deceptively strong, and slippery. He has good size and great body control. I can't wait to see what he runs. If it is in the low 4.5 range that should be good enough for him to stay under the radar.

Blair White of Michigan State is a good late round/UDFA possession receiver. Great hands, very smart, good technician.

I really like Dezmond Briscoe from Kansas too. He'll probably go earilier (round 3 maybe). He is 6'3 200lbs and has good quickness and elusiveness to go along with a killer second gear. I think that kind of initial quickness is rare in taller recievers. He has the size, burst/speed, elusiveness to be a very good starter (especially if he fills out a little) and learns to run better routes.

Haven't seen David Reed, I'll have to look him up.

White and Briscoe I like. Briscoe especially since we need a vertical threat badly and he looks like he's got speed to get behind defenders. I'll have to see how his hands are though at the combine. From the few times I've watched Briscoe it looked like he didn't catch the ball that smoothly...