PDA

View Full Version : Carl Nicks

steelerkeylargo
02-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Man I really wanted to draft this kid 3 years ago....he had first round talent but some off the fiels problems slipped him into the third or fourth round.....

We see this as a very even matchup, and one reason the Saints look like even money to us is their guard combination of Carl Nicks and Jahri Evans.

"They are the nastiest guard duo in the league," center Jonathan Goodwin said. "I've never seen so many people get tossed on the football field as this year. I've seen Carl just take guys and throw them."

Nicks and Evans have a competition each game to see how can get the most pancake blocks.

"I hear Carl talking about, 'I just got a 'cake Jahri, how many do you got?" Goodwin said. "They're counting pancakes. I just try to keep up."

steelblood
02-05-2010, 12:04 PM
I liked him too. But, the STeelers usually stay away from guys with character issues. We do need a nasty interior linemen. I'm a little disappointed that Kemo seems to have mellowed. He used to come in for a spot start and jack folks up. Now, he doesn't flash that nastiness as much as I'd like. Hopefully, our new o-line coach will bring that back. Certainly Kemo and Urbik could be that duo. Draft a big nasty center and we really could move some folks out.

Iron Shiek
02-05-2010, 12:14 PM
KOOOOOOG!

I can't wait til training camp...I have a good feeling about the future of our line.

Granted I didn't watch many Bills games or focus on the OL for that matter. But from everything I've read, I feel I have the right to yell KOOOOOOG with excitement. :tt2

steelblood
02-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I love tough coaches that inspire their players. Our running game needs one. I hope Koogs is the man.

papillon
02-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I liked him too. But, the STeelers usually stay away from guys with character issues. We do need a nasty interior linemen. I'm a little disappointed that Kemo seems to have mellowed. He used to come in for a spot start and jack folks up. Now, he doesn't flash that nastiness as much as I'd like. Hopefully, our new o-line coach will bring that back. Certainly Kemo and Urbik could be that duo. Draft a big nasty center and we really could move some folks out.

Kemo has mellowed or given the impression of mellowing due to the zone blocking scheme which seems more predicated on read and react rather than just knock the guy in front of you on his a$$ like a man blocking scheme.

I'm not sure about Urbik. Why do you think he will be a good and nasty guard? He didn't even dress this year and I haven't heard any of the coaches singing his praises.

Pappy

steelblood
02-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Kemo has mellowed or given the impression of mellowing due to the zone blocking scheme which seems more predicated on read and react rather than just knock the guy in front of you on his a$$ like a man blocking scheme.

I'm not sure about Urbik. Why do you think he will be a good and nasty guard? He didn't even dress this year and I haven't heard any of the coaches singing his praises.

Pappy

Urbik is a mauler. That is his M.O. He'd be effective moving out big DTs. Lot's of rookies get lost on our team in their first year. I look for him to compete for the starting job this year.

Urbik didn't dress last year because we only dressed 7 lineman. Urbik didn't have the position flexibility to play multiple positions like Foster (a more natural tackle, and Legursky a center). Urbik is really a G only in the NFL. Don't count him out.

Oviedo
02-05-2010, 01:18 PM
KOOOOOOG!

I can't wait til training camp...I have a good feeling about the future of our line.

Granted I didn't watch many Bills games or focus on the OL for that matter. But from everything I've read, I feel I have the right to yell KOOOOOOG with excitement. :tt2

Has anybody heard if he is a Zone Blocking Scheme disciple or something else? Before all the "experts" jump in and say everyone does ZBS I'm just trying to see if he follows a specific philosophy with line play.

Slapstick
02-05-2010, 01:31 PM
If what Kugler says is true, he will use the blocking scheme that his players can execute in the most effective way...

I don't care if it's man or zone, I just want the o-line to get after people and communicate better...if they can do that consistently, the improvement will be exponential...

hawaiiansteel
02-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Man I really wanted to draft this kid 3 years ago....he had first round talent but some off the fiels problems slipped him into the third or fourth round.....

"

Carl Nicks was drafted in the 5th round, I really wanted us to select him instead of Tony Hills who we drafted in the 4th round that same year.

But I guess the Steelers would rather take a chance on an injury-prone player than one with character issues :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2010, 03:12 PM
I think Casey Hampton better at counting pancakes than Nicks or Evans.

http://capitalistbanter.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/pancake-stack.jpg