PDA

View Full Version : NFL Mock Draft: PewterReport.com

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2010, 07:13 PM
these guys actually gave their selections some thought...

NFL Mock Draft: PewterReport.com
February 4, 2010

1. St. Louis Rams- Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford *
The Rams passed on Matt Ryan and Mark Sanchez. They won't do it again.

2. Detroit Lions- Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh
Suh is the best football player in the draft. Schwartz gets his new Albert Haynesworth.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy *
A trade down is possible. Teams may want to get Claussen in front of Washington. McCoy is the best player available.

4. Washington Redskins- QB Jimmy Clausen *
There are character concerns with him, but Mike Shanahan takes guys like that.

5. Kansas City Chiefs- Oklahoma State OT Russell Okung
GM Scott Pioli has to protect his investment in QB Matt Cassel.

6. Seattle Seahawks- Tennessee S Eric Berry *
Berry is the best player available and the Seahawks could use help on defense.

7. Cleveland Browns- Florida CB Joe Haden *
The Browns grab the best cornerback in the draft.

8. Oakland Raiders- Georgia Tech DE Derrick Morgan *
Richard Seymour could leave. The Raiders need interior help and pass rush.

9. Buffalo Bills- Maryland OT Bruce Campbell *
His athleticism is off the charts. Buffalo couldn't protect the quarterback.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars- Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant *
The Jags get a weapon, target Tim Tebow in a trade up in round two.

11. Denver Broncos (from Chicago)- Alabama LB Rolando McClain *
Denver breaks Miami's heart and takes best LB in the draft.

12. Miami Dolphins- Alabama DT Terrence Cody
The Dolphins could use a young nose tackle for its 3-4 defense.

13. San Francisco 49ers- Rutgers OT Anthony Davis *
He has some character issues, but Mike Singletary is a master motivator.

14. Seattle Seahawks (from Denver)- Clemson RB C.J. Spiller
The Seahawks could use a game-changer. Spiller is that kind of player.

15. New York Giants- UCLA DT Brian Price *
The Giants need help on their defensive line. Price is a disruptor.

16. Tennessee Titans- South Florida DE Jason Pierre-Paul *
They need a pass rusher. Pierre-Paul is thought highly of by analysts.

17. San Francisco 49ers (from Carolina)- Boise State CB Kyle Wilson
He had a great week at the Senior Bowl, and they need cornerback help.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers- Iowa OT Bryan Bulaga *
The Steelers offensive line let Ben Roethlisberger down. Bulaga is their kind of player.

19. Atlanta Falcons- Texas S Earl Thomas *
Atlanta's secondary hurt the team down the stretch. Thomas is a playmaker.

20. Houston Texans- USC S Taylor Mays
Despite a bad Senior Bowl, teams like his tools. He is an overrated prospect.

21. Green Bay Packers- Iowa OG Mike Iupati
The Packers need help along the line. Iupati could start right away for them.

22. Cincinnati Bengals- Florida TE Aaron Hernandez *
The Bengals need more weapons in the passing game. A wide out is possible.

23. New England Patriots- Florida LB Brandon Spikes
The Pats finally replace Junior Seau. Bill Belichick loves Florida's program.

24. Philadelphia Eagles- Florida DE Carlos Dunlap *
The Eagles need to improve their pass rush. Dunlap is a good fit at left end.

25. Baltimore Ravens- Notre Dame WR Golden Tate *
The Ravens could use a young replacement for Derrick Mason.

26. Arizona Cardinals- TCU DE/OLB Jerry Hughes
Arizona could use a pass rusher and Hughes can rush the quarterback.

27. Dallas Cowboys- Oklahoma OT Trent Williams
The Cowboys have an aging offensive line. Williams starts the overhaul.

28. San Diego Chargers- Georgia Tech RB Jonathan Dwyer *
This a great fit. Dwyer is perfect replacement for LaDanian Tomlinson.

29. New York Jets- Illinois WR Arrelious Benn *
The Jets get a weapon for Mark Sanchez to throw to. A CB or OLB are options.

30. Minnesota Vikings- Wake Forest CB Brandon Ghee
Cedric Griffin tore an ACL in the playoffs, corner is now a pressing issue.

31. New Orleans Saints- California DT Tyson Alualu
The Saints could use some help up front. Alualu's versatility is a good fit.

32. Indianapolis Colts- Penn State DT Jared Odrick
Odrick had some character issues, but is an excellent athlete.

phillyesq
02-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Interesting. This is the first mock I've seen that doesn't have Suh going first overall.

Lebsteel
02-04-2010, 11:30 PM
I would really be sick if we passed on Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, Taylor Mays and even Jared Odrick in order to pick Bryan Bulaga. To me, it would make no sense at all. We need help on defense in several positions. Give the new OL coach a chance to make our OL better.

Shawn
02-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Cody at #12...interesting.

We won't pass on Thomas if he is still there.

Chadman
02-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Actually a pretty good mock. Although most 'experts' claim there is only 1 CB that is 1st round worthy, can anyone remember too many drafts where only 1 CB goes in Round 1? The position is too highly valued- having 3 go in Round 1, like this draft suggests, is about bang on the mark. Interesting they don't have Patrick Robinson going there at all.

If Cody proves to be able to move, going to a 3-4 Defense team earlier than 'expected' is a strong chance too. Defensive lineman litter the middle to late picks- sounds about right. Plenty of OL selections...

This is pretty good.

Not sure Chadman is overly happy with what the Steelers are projected with, but can't be too picky.

Lebsteel
02-04-2010, 11:33 PM

Yea, Cody at 12 and no Dan Williams. I'd say strange, rather than interesting.

Shawn
02-04-2010, 11:42 PM

Cody has more upside...he is more of a force in the middle. It doesn't shock me a bit. I think teams will be less concerned about his weight than we are.

Lebsteel
02-04-2010, 11:53 PM

Cody has more upside...he is more of a force in the middle. It doesn't shock me a bit. I think teams will be less concerned about his weight than we are.

OK, we'll see. The games I have watched him he has been very "underwhelming." I wanted to see a total beast just tear apart the OL, but all I saw was a very poor effort on almost every play. I agree he has a lot of upside, as well as backside, but the big question is will he ever have the desire and motivation to reach that all elusive "potential"?

Shawn
02-05-2010, 12:24 AM

OK, we'll see. The games I have watched him he has been very "underwhelming." I wanted to see a total beast just tear apart the OL, but all I saw was a very poor effort on almost every play. I agree he has a lot of upside, as well as backside, but the big question is will he ever have the desire and motivation to reach that all elusive "potential"?

I'm not sure what people mean when they say this about Cody. Do they mean he doesn't get alot of sacks? Agreed. He doesn't get alot of push? Agreed. Doesn't get
alot of tackles...Agreed again. Maybe that's what people are looking at. The problem? He is always double teamed. No one blocker can block him. He makes men look like boys. I wonder if a teams tried to block him with one guy all season what his stats would look like. The fact is...he is the perfect NT. He does his job and allows the LBs to do theirs. At this...there isn't anyone in college better.

Iron Shiek
02-05-2010, 12:28 PM
The Bills taking Bruce Campbell confused me. Didn't the Bills start 2 rookie OL's (I thought both T's) this year? From what we've read about Kugler, that line didn't do extremely terrible so I'm not sure they would bypass upgrading other positions to take a position they already have decent youth at.

frankthetank1
02-05-2010, 12:38 PM
I would really be sick if we passed on Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, Taylor Mays and even Jared Odrick in order to pick Bryan Bulaga. To me, it would make no sense at all. We need help on defense in several positions. Give the new OL coach a chance to make our OL better.

i agree with the exception of mays. if either thomas or williams are still there we will grab one of them. is anyone else surprised at how low mardy gillyard is in these mock drafts? i would rate him #1 or 2 out of all the wr's. i dont think tate is better than gillyard or dez bryant

Shawn
02-05-2010, 12:44 PM

i agree with the exception of mays. if either thomas or williams are still there we will grab one of them. is anyone else surprised at how low mardy gillyard is in these mock drafts? i would rate him #1 or 2 out of all the wr's. i dont think tate is better than gillyard or dez bryant

Agreed...Mays has Troy's athleticism around the LOS but has Anthony Smith's cover skills and lapses in coverage. I will say no thanks. He will be drafted high...some team will bite on all that athleticism...just hope it's not the Steelers.

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2010, 12:54 PM
The Bills taking Bruce Campbell confused me. Didn't the Bills start 2 rookie OL's (I thought both T's) this year? From what we've read about Kugler, that line didn't do extremely terrible so I'm not sure they would bypass upgrading other positions to take a position they already have decent youth at.

The Bills drafted Eric Wood in Round 1 and Andy Levitre in round 2. Both started last year and were successful as rookies, but both are interior o-linemen (Wood was the 2nd ranked center who can also play guard, and Levitre was the top ranked guard in last year's draft). After trading away Jason Peters to Philly and cutting Langston Walker, they did not have any legit OT's (and even less after their rash of injuries).

Unless Clausen or Bradford fall to #9, I would be surprised if Buffalo did not take an OT early in this draft (I think Russell Okung, Anthony Davis, Bruce Campbell, Bryan Bulaga, or Trent Williams will be a Bill, depending on who is already off the board in picks 1-8, and who they have ranked the highest among the remaining available OT's).

Oviedo
02-05-2010, 12:56 PM

He is a risk to go both up and more importantly out.

steelblood
02-05-2010, 01:30 PM

I'm not sure what people mean when they say this about Cody. Do they mean he doesn't get alot of sacks? Agreed. He doesn't get alot of push? Agreed. Doesn't get
alot of tackles...Agreed again. Maybe that's what people are looking at. The problem? He is always double teamed. No one blocker can block him. He makes men look like boys. I wonder if a teams tried to block him with one guy all season what his stats would look like. The fact is...he is the perfect NT. He does his job and allows the LBs to do theirs. At this...there isn't anyone in college better.

What is the value of Cody against a team like the Colts, Pats, or Saints? Those teams will spread you out and don't care if Jabba the Hut camps out in the middle of the field. We'd be in the nickel or dime the whole game and we'd need a DT to get some push or pass rush. It is hard for me to justify picking a player that won't be on the field when teams go to 3 and 4 wide receivers.

Shawn
02-05-2010, 03:37 PM
About as much value as Hampton has to us in the dime and nickle which is zero.

It seems many of you have more of an issue with draft a NT in the first rather than Cody.

hawaiiansteel
02-05-2010, 03:42 PM
What is the value of Cody against a team like the Colts, Pats, or Saints? Those teams will spread you out and don't care if Jabba the Hut camps out in the middle of the field. We'd be in the nickel or dime the whole game and we'd need a DT to get some push or pass rush. It is hard for me to justify picking a player that won't be on the field when teams go to 3 and 4 wide receivers.

Jabba the Hut would look good in the middle of our line though...

Oviedo
02-05-2010, 03:50 PM

:Agree In a league where the best teams have dynamic passing games a big slug of a NT is of marginal value. You need attacking, penetrating DL.

Lebsteel
02-05-2010, 03:56 PM

:Agree In a league where the best teams have dynamic passing games a big slug of a NT is of marginal value. You need attacking, penetrating DL.

Totally agree. Dan Williams or Jared Odrick would meet that requirement, I believe.

hawaiiansteel
02-05-2010, 03:58 PM

you still need to be able to defend against the run, and that is exactly what the job description of a 3-4 NT in our defensive scheme is...to hold the point of attack and fight the double-teams allowing our LBers to make the play

Shawn
02-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Totally agree. Dan Williams or Jared Odrick would meet that requirement, I believe.

Odrick would I agree...Williams is being projected as a two down lineman.

Dee Dub
02-05-2010, 04:09 PM

I'm gonna agree with you on this. We as fans may feel different but the Steelers are quite pleased with their current O-line. The outside media just cant seem to understand this.

Lebsteel
02-05-2010, 04:19 PM

Yes, Williams will never have the motor that Odrick has but I've watched Williams play several games and I think he will be more than just a two down NT. Though the NT is usually pulled in a passing situation, Williams does have penetrating ability that Cody does not seem to have. I agree with NFLDraftScout.com's review:

01/31/10 - SENIOR BOWL GAMER: DT Dan Williams, Tennessee: Williams (6-2, 330) had stuffed the interior rushing lanes during the South practices all week long. That part of his game wasn't questioned by scouts. Where he helped himself in the Senior Bowl, was in showing better instincts in the passing game than most had expected. Williams sniffed out a screen early in the game, latching on to Fresno State running back Lonyae Miller to ruin the play. Williams also knocked down a pass from the 6-foot-6 Cincinnati quarterback Tony Pike pass moments later. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/27/10 - Senior Bowl, Tuesday: Like John Jerry on the offensive line, two SEC defensive linemen are helping their stock tremendously this week. Though they play essentially the same position, the two players couldn't be any different in their body shape or style of play. Tennessee's Dan Williams has the wide, lower body that defensive line coaches are looking for in a potential nose tackle. His great strength and 6-2, 329-pound frame may not have earned the hype of Alabama's “Mount” Cody, but he's the more consistent player. Scouts would like to see more burst and better use of hands to slip blocks and pressure the passer, but Williams will make his money the same way Cody will: By eating up blockers and shutting down running lanes inside. - Rob Rang and Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/27/10 - Senior Bowl, Wednesday: Focusing on the line play Wednesday, it became very clear that NFL interior offensive linemen won't be looking forward to the arrival of massive SEC tackles Terrence Cody (Alabama) and Dan Williams (Tennessee). Williams' game is a bit different but still impressive. At 6-2, 329 with 33-inch arms, he has the low center of gravity and long arms to be a very effective nose tackle. Once again Byers came up short against Williams, as the former Volunteer threw him down like a rag doll during one-on-one drills. He isn't as dominant with brute strength as Cody, as Baylor center J.D. Walton and Alabama guard Mike Johnson stood their grounds much better against the stout defensive tackle. Still, his combination of power and hustle to the outside, which Mount Cody cannot duplicate over the course of a game, gives him a chance to be a mid first-round pick. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

Shawn
02-05-2010, 04:20 PM

you still need to be able to defend against the run, and that is exactly what the job description of a 3-4 NT in our defensive scheme is...to hold the point of attack and fight the double-teams allowing our LBers to make the play

Exactly. If the argument that there is less value to drafting a NT in the first...well I can see that point. But, to offer up Williams as an alternative (who is also a 2 down NT) well that doesn't make as much sense.

Shawn
02-05-2010, 04:25 PM

Yes, Williams will never have the motor that Odrick has but I've watched Williams play several games and I think he will be more than just a two down NT. Though the NT is usually pulled in a passing situation, Williams does have penetrating ability that Cody does not seem to have. I agree with NFLDraftScout.com's review:

01/31/10 - SENIOR BOWL GAMER: DT Dan Williams, Tennessee: Williams (6-2, 330) had stuffed the interior rushing lanes during the South practices all week long. That part of his game wasn't questioned by scouts. Where he helped himself in the Senior Bowl, was in showing better instincts in the passing game than most had expected. Williams sniffed out a screen early in the game, latching on to Fresno State running back Lonyae Miller to ruin the play. Williams also knocked down a pass from the 6-foot-6 Cincinnati quarterback Tony Pike pass moments later. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/27/10 - Senior Bowl, Tuesday: Like John Jerry on the offensive line, two SEC defensive linemen are helping their stock tremendously this week. Though they play essentially the same position, the two players couldn't be any different in their body shape or style of play. Tennessee's Dan Williams has the wide, lower body that defensive line coaches are looking for in a potential nose tackle. His great strength and 6-2, 329-pound frame may not have earned the hype of Alabama's “Mount” Cody, but he's the more consistent player. Scouts would like to see more burst and better use of hands to slip blocks and pressure the passer, but Williams will make his money the same way Cody will: By eating up blockers and shutting down running lanes inside. - Rob Rang and Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/27/10 - Senior Bowl, Wednesday: Focusing on the line play Wednesday, it became very clear that NFL interior offensive linemen won't be looking forward to the arrival of massive SEC tackles Terrence Cody (Alabama) and Dan Williams (Tennessee). Williams' game is a bit different but still impressive. At 6-2, 329 with 33-inch arms, he has the low center of gravity and long arms to be a very effective nose tackle. Once again Byers came up short against Williams, as the former Volunteer threw him down like a rag doll during one-on-one drills. He isn't as dominant with brute strength as Cody, as Baylor center J.D. Walton and Alabama guard Mike Johnson stood their grounds much better against the stout defensive tackle. Still, his combination of power and hustle to the outside, which Mount Cody cannot duplicate over the course of a game, gives him a chance to be a mid first-round pick. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

I think what's interesting about that article is the fact that they say Williams will make his money the same way Cody will...by eating up blockers in the middle. And no one in college does that better than Cody. If you have your choice of 2 DEs...or a DE and a NT to play your nickle package....teams will pick the 2 DEs 9 out of 10 times. Those DEs in the 3-4 are the size of 4-3 DTs and generally have better movement and penetration. And believe me I like Williams. He will be a good NT in the NFL...no doubt in my mind. But, don't make the mistake of believing he will be anything more than a 2 down player in this league.

Lebsteel
02-05-2010, 04:28 PM

Exactly. If the argument that there is less value to drafting a NT in the first...well I can see that point. But, to offer up Williams as an alternative (who is also a 2 down NT) well that doesn't make as much sense.

Shawn, see the post above. I think there is great value in taking a NT in Rd. 1 if it is Dan Williams. We disagree, but I can't help it if you are wrong. :wink:

Shawn
02-05-2010, 04:46 PM
lol Leb...it certainly wouldn't be the first time. But, I guess we will have to wait and see. I still don't believe Williams will be anything more than a 2 down NT. He is also a big man...who has been projected to be a 2 down NT. Maybe he will surprised me...but I'm not holding my breath.

hawaiiansteel
02-06-2010, 12:25 AM
About as much value as Hampton has to us in the dime and nickle which is zero.

It seems many of you have more of an issue with draft a NT in the first rather than Cody.

how in the world could anyone move this guy out of the way?

Shawn
02-06-2010, 12:30 AM
No one man can...actually 2 men can't move him. They can merely contain him.

hawaiiansteel
02-06-2010, 12:51 AM

that is exactly what the NT in our 3-4 scheme is supposed to do, hold his ground against double-teams and occupy the blockers while the LBers make the play...sounds like a good fit to me.

and so what if he only plays two downs, bring in Hoke or Ziggy to rush on 3rd down or obvious passing situations.

Shawn
02-06-2010, 12:53 AM

that is exactly what the NT in our 3-4 scheme is supposed to do, hold his ground against double-teams and occupy the blockers while the LBers make the play...sounds like a good fit to me.

and so what if he only plays two downs, bring in Hoke or Ziggy to rush on 3rd down or obvious passing situations.

That's what we do now...so I don't see the issue.

hawaiiansteel
02-06-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm probably in the minority on this issue, but I would not place the franchise tag on Hampton if we were unable to reach a long-term deal with him. We would save $7.7 million dollars less what you would have to pay the newly drafted NT, the savings could be used to help re-sign Woodley, Santonio and Mendenhall to new contracts.

I don't want to pay that kind of money to a guy who says "there will be a problem" if he's franchised...he then holds out, doesn't report in shape again and becomes a distraction to a team trying to return to the Super Bowl.

I was sad to see Faneca leave, I'll be saddened at Casey's departure also but it's the Steelers philosophy not to give big-money contracts to players in the twilight of their careers and that's what Hampton wants. I don't think he'll get his wish from the Steelers and it's probably best for everyone to move on.