PDA

View Full Version : Harris: Steelers' free agents as good as gone

hawaiiansteel
02-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Harris: Steelers' free agents as good as gone
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Leave it to always-blunt veteran nose tackle Casey Hampton to say what the Steelers won't about the team's offseason plans to re-sign some of their unrestricted free agents.

During an interview with the Tribune-Review last week, Hampton said he wants to finish his career with the team that drafted him in 2001. He also said the Steelers passed up the opportunity to re-sign him last offseason, so why should he turn cartwheels (picture that visual, if you will) for the chance to stay with the team that no longer considers him a priority?

"You didn't feel that strong about signing me before the season, so why is it such a big issue for you to try to keep me now?" Hampton responded.

Talk about telling it like it is.

Hampton's absolutely right. He doesn't figure in the Steelers' defensive plans like he did a couple of years ago.

He'll be 33 at the beginning of next season, and the team no longer considers him an every-down player. In fact, he no longer plays on passing downs.

Repeat after me: the Steelers will never pay full-time wages for a part-time player.

The Steelers would love to re-sign Hampton to a multiyear contract on the cheap, but don't count on that happening -- Hampton wants to test the market.

The Steelers could slap a franchise tag on Hampton and lock him up for another season, but that would be a mistake because an unhappy Hampton makes for an unproductive player.

In truth, the Steelers feel the same way about free safety Ryan Clark and running back Willie Parker.

If they really wanted to keep them, they wouldn't have allowed them to become free agents.

That's not how the Steelers operate. They realize it's cheaper to sign their own players before allowing them to test the market. That way, the Steelers are bidding against themselves.

Go down the list. The Steelers re-signed quarterback Ben Roethlisberger with two years remaining on his contract, and they re-signed outside linebacker James Harrison, tight end Heath Miller and defensive ends Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel with one year remaining on their respective deals.

This year, the Steelers' offseason strategy will probably involve attempting to re-sign key players who are entering the final year of their contracts. Those players include outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, wide receiver Santonio Holmes and cornerback Ike Taylor.

Woodley, who played in his first Pro Bowl on Sunday night, led the Steelers with 13 1/2 sacks this season. Among active players, he's is tied with Dwight Freeney and Mike Vrabel for most postseason sacks with eight.

Holmes led the Steelers with 1,248 receiving yards and he was second on the team with 79 receptions.

Taylor is the team's most experienced starting cornerback. He has never missed a game in seven seasons because of injury.

The longer the Steelers wait to re-sign these players, the more their price tag will go up and the harder it will be for the team to keep them.

That's why it would seem to make more sense for the Steelers to prioritize re-signing players entering the final year of their contracts, instead of bringing back Hampton and Clark when they didn't lock them up a year earlier.

It isn't like the Steelers to have second thoughts about re-signing their unrestricted free agents. I'm going to assume that a decision has already been made about Hampton and Clark not coming back to the team.

Looking at the big picture, director of football operations Kevin Colbert is fond of saying there are two ways for the Steelers to build their roster.

One way is re-signing their key veterans. The other way is through the NFL Draft.

The 2010 draft is deep in talent at defensive tackle and safety -- deeper than it has been in years -- and it just so happens those are the positions where Hampton and Clark play.

In other words, the Steelers don't have to spend high draft picks on potential replacements for Hampton and Clark -- and they can save money in the process.

They can take a player in the second or third round who might normally be available in the first round.

Meanwhile, they can permit loyal veterans such as Hampton and Clark to sign a long-term deal with another team in a show of good faith while kicking off the team's inevitable rebuilding plan.

Iron Shiek
02-03-2010, 04:31 PM
It makes me wonder...I haven't kept track but have the Steelers ever let a deal expire before re-signing a player?

I guess the most recent example I can think of was Max Starks, am I correct in thinking that? Who else?

Historical trend would say these Free Agents are likely gone.

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Harris: Steelers' free agents as good as gone
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Leave it to always-blunt veteran nose tackle Casey Hampton to say what the Steelers won't about the team's offseason plans to re-sign some of their unrestricted free agents.

During an interview with the Tribune-Review last week, Hampton said he wants to finish his career with the team that drafted him in 2001. He also said the Steelers passed up the opportunity to re-sign him last offseason, so why should he turn cartwheels (picture that visual, if you will) for the chance to stay with the team that no longer considers him a priority?

"You didn't feel that strong about signing me before the season, so why is it such a big issue for you to try to keep me now?" Hampton responded.

Talk about telling it like it is.

Hampton's absolutely right. He doesn't figure in the Steelers' defensive plans like he did a couple of years ago.

He'll be 33 at the beginning of next season, and the team no longer considers him an every-down player. In fact, he no longer plays on passing downs.

Repeat after me: the Steelers will never pay full-time wages for a part-time player.

The Steelers would love to re-sign Hampton to a multiyear contract on the cheap, but don't count on that happening -- Hampton wants to test the market.

The Steelers could slap a franchise tag on Hampton and lock him up for another season, but that would be a mistake because an unhappy Hampton makes for an unproductive player.

In truth, the Steelers feel the same way about free safety Ryan Clark and running back Willie Parker.

If they really wanted to keep them, they wouldn't have allowed them to become free agents.

That's not how the Steelers operate. They realize it's cheaper to sign their own players before allowing them to test the market. That way, the Steelers are bidding against themselves.

Go down the list. The Steelers re-signed quarterback Ben Roethlisberger with two years remaining on his contract, and they re-signed outside linebacker James Harrison, tight end Heath Miller and defensive ends Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel with one year remaining on their respective deals.

This year, the Steelers' offseason strategy will probably involve attempting to re-sign key players who are entering the final year of their contracts. Those players include outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, wide receiver Santonio Holmes and cornerback Ike Taylor.

Woodley, who played in his first Pro Bowl on Sunday night, led the Steelers with 13 1/2 sacks this season. Among active players, he's is tied with Dwight Freeney and Mike Vrabel for most postseason sacks with eight.

Holmes led the Steelers with 1,248 receiving yards and he was second on the team with 79 receptions.

Taylor is the team's most experienced starting cornerback. He has never missed a game in seven seasons because of injury.

The longer the Steelers wait to re-sign these players, the more their price tag will go up and the harder it will be for the team to keep them.

That's why it would seem to make more sense for the Steelers to prioritize re-signing players entering the final year of their contracts, instead of bringing back Hampton and Clark when they didn't lock them up a year earlier.

It isn't like the Steelers to have second thoughts about re-signing their unrestricted free agents. I'm going to assume that a decision has already been made about Hampton and Clark not coming back to the team.

Looking at the big picture, director of football operations Kevin Colbert is fond of saying there are two ways for the Steelers to build their roster.

One way is re-signing their key veterans. The other way is through the NFL Draft.

The 2010 draft is deep in talent at defensive tackle and safety -- deeper than it has been in years -- and it just so happens those are the positions where Hampton and Clark play.

In other words, the Steelers don't have to spend high draft picks on potential replacements for Hampton and Clark -- and they can save money in the process.

They can take a player in the second or third round who might normally be available in the first round.

Meanwhile, they can permit loyal veterans such as Hampton and Clark to sign a long-term deal with another team in a show of good faith while kicking off the team's inevitable rebuilding plan.

I'm going to assume not. Just because you weren't signed with a year to go on your previous deal doesn't mean that you are automatically unwanted. The team allowed the contracts of Max Starks and Chris Kemoeatu and Trai Essex to expire. They are all still here.

Oviedo
02-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I'll just assume that Harris is being an idiot again just trying to get some attention by :stirpot

I really get the impression that harris is about the worse of all the local sportswriters with regards to access to information. All he does is repeat what others says and offer opinion.

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2010, 04:47 PM
I'll just assume that Harris is being an idiot again just trying to get some attention by :stirpot

I really get the impression that harris is about the worse of all the local sportswriters with regards to access to information. All he does is repeat what others says and offer opinion.

And it is usually a poorly-thought-out opinion at that. He seems to try to take a dissenting view from the populace whenever possible in a futile effort to drum up readership (as if he were a radio shock jock or something).

Jom112
02-03-2010, 04:48 PM

Sounds like TJ Houshmandzadeh last offseason. The Bengals came with a deal similar to what he was being offered by other teams, but since it wasn't "early" enough TJ had hurt feelings and went elsewhere.

Sensitive players...

Oviedo
02-03-2010, 04:49 PM

And it is usually a poorly-thought-out opinion at that. He seems to try to take a dissenting view from the populace whenever possible in a futile effort to drum up readership (as if he were a radio shock jock or something).

Hey! That is what you say about my opinions. maybe I should reread the article because harris may be onto something :wink:

SteelCrazy
02-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Good players come and good players go....If Hampton was as productive as he was in years past without having to be watched over like a baby he would have been signed. Fact is, we will be just as good with or without Hampton, Clark, and FWP. Our needs are always met and there is a stack of Lombardi's to prove it.

Repeat after me, We Will Be FINE!!!!!

I love all three of these guys, but they are in a point of their career which makes them replaceable. Good luck to them if they do not get resigned.

phillyesq
02-03-2010, 05:19 PM

:Agree

Harris is the worst of the worst. If you notice, his articles are almost all speculation. There is rarely any substance, any information from a source, or anything else to distinguish his articles from the banter on this message board.

I think the Steelers would be foolish not to resign or franchise Hampton. It also isn't the Steeler way to leave a glaring need at a position going into the draft. The Steelers usually enter the draft with an option at every position so that they can avoid reaching for players based on need.

As for Clark, he may have been able to cash in after 2008, but I think that window has now closed. He is great as a compliment to Troy, but very lackluster in Troy's absence. If he thinks he is getting big money elsewhere, he may be in for a rude awakening.

hawaiiansteel
02-03-2010, 05:31 PM

:Agree

Harris is the worst of the worst. If you notice, his articles are almost all speculation. There is rarely any substance, any information from a source, or anything else to distinguish his articles from the banter on this message board.

I think the Steelers would be foolish not to resign or franchise Hampton. It also isn't the Steeler way to leave a glaring need at a position going into the draft. The Steelers usually enter the draft with an option at every position so that they can avoid reaching for players based on need.

As for Clark, he may have been able to cash in after 2008, but I think that window has now closed. He is great as a compliment to Troy, but very lackluster in Troy's absence. If he thinks he is getting big money elsewhere, he may be in for a rude awakening.

I thought Ryan Clark was exposed as a very average safety at best in Troy's absence.

TallyStiller
02-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Without the threat of a contract hanging over his head, Casey Hampton eats his way out of the league in 18 months. Guaranteed. No way we give this guy a contract. Let Daniel Snyder have him.

hawaiiansteel
02-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Without the threat of a contract hanging over his head, Casey Hampton eats his way out of the league in 18 months. Guaranteed. No way we give this guy a contract. Let Daniel Snyder have him.

if we were to give Casey a 1-year franchise tag he would still have "the threat of a contract hanging over his head", my worry is he would then hold out and become a distraction.

SteelCrazy
02-03-2010, 05:57 PM

Im with you...Hoke can get it done until someone is drafted or we get a young FA.

cruzer8
02-03-2010, 06:13 PM

Did Casey steal your girlfriend? Insult your mother? Kill your dog?

Wow...you have that one drum and you really, really beat it, don't you?

Chadman
02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Unlike a few posters here, Chadman thinks Harris might actually be on to something.

It's funny how you can convince yourself of something, but miss the signs.

Chadman had thought that the Steelers would not allow Hampton to leave, and it would be unlikely they let Clark leave.

BUT...

Harris points out that the 2 strongest positions in this years draft just happen to be the exact 2 positions these vets play.

Maybe the Steelers do feel Hoke can man the middle while a rookie (Terrence Cody- despite the groans of many on the board) rotates in & learns how to be an NFL starter. Isn't the circumstances of Hampton's drafting/starting similar to this situation? Long time starting NT (Steed) leaves (retires) & the Steelers go into the draft 'happy' with 'starting NT' Kendrick Clancy. They then draft powerful young NT Casey Hampton in the 1st round...and by mid-season, Hampton is the starter. Couldn't Hoke be Clancy, and Cody replace him mid season?

At Safety, there are really several options available through the first 3 rounds for the Steelers. It might be worthwhile bringing Clark back on a 1-2 year deal, and drafting his replacement in Round 2/3.

Might have to revise the Chadman mock draft again....

Lebsteel
02-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Unlike a few posters here, Chadman thinks Harris might actually be on to something.

Chadman had thought that the Steelers would not allow Hampton to leave, and it would be unlikely they let Clark leave.

BUT...

Harris points out that the 2 strongest positions in this years draft just happen to be the exact 2 positions these vets play.

Maybe the Steelers do feel Hoke can man the middle while a rookie (Terrence Cody- despite the groans of many on the board) rotates in & learns how to be an NFL starter. Isn't the circumstances of Hampton's drafting/starting similar to this situation? Long time starting NT (Steed) leaves (retires) & the Steelers go into the draft 'happy' with 'starting NT' Kendrick Clancy. They then draft powerful young NT Casey Hampton in the 1st round...and by mid-season, Hampton is the starter. Couldn't Hoke be Clancy, and Cody replace him mid season?
At Safety, there are really several options available through the first 3 rounds for the Steelers. It might be worthwhile bringing Clark back on a 1-2 year deal, and drafting his replacement in Round 2/3.

Hoke could be Clancy, but Dan Williams could be Hampton. I think Williams could be as effective as Cody against the run and still play on passing downs. Williams has the edge in lateral mobility and ability to rush the passer, but Cody certainly would be the man I'd want on a goal line stand.

ikestops85
02-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Clark is not like Hampton. He doesn't think he is a superstar who needs to be the highest paid player at his position. If the steelers make Clark any kind of reasonable offer I think he will take it.

Clark is one of those guys you need on the team, much like Farrior. They give you big bang for the buck. They aren't the greatest players but are solid at their position, don't make many mistakes, and are relatively cheap.

I'd love to see the Steelers re-sign Clark and then draft a safety for some depth.

Shawn
02-03-2010, 06:49 PM

BUT...

Chad you and I think the same way. I read the article and it made alot of sense. He had some valid points. If we don't sign Hampton and Clark I would bet money that we draft one of these three players in the first...

Cody
Williams
Thomas

With a dark horse of Odrick...if they believe in Hoke and if they think they covet a later round NT...Troup?

NW Steeler
02-03-2010, 07:55 PM

I have gown tired of things like this being said by players. What a bunch of crybaby BS. The Steelers owe Big Snack nothing, especially signing him to a long extension with a year to go. Is his ass burned that bad because of that? Whatever big boy, good luck with your next team. I personally think that he will be overpaid by someone and the Steelers would have never been able to match what he thinks he is worth.

eniparadoxgma
02-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Good players come and good players go....If Hampton was as productive as he was in years past without having to be watched over like a baby he would have been signed. Fact is, we will be just as good with or without Hampton, Clark, and FWP. Our needs are always met and there is a stack of Lombardi's to prove it.

Repeat after me, We Will Be FINE!!!!!

I love all three of these guys, but they are in a point of their career which makes them replaceable. Good luck to them if they do not get resigned.

My sentiments exactly.

eniparadoxgma
02-03-2010, 09:23 PM

I have gown tired of things like this being said by players. What a bunch of crybaby BS. The Steelers owe Big Snack nothing, especially signing him to a long extension with a year to go. Is his bad word burned that bad because of that? Whatever big boy, good luck with your next team. I personally think that he will be overpaid by someone and the Steelers would have never been able to match what he thinks he is worth.

Agree completely. There is far too much of this BS and it just keeps growing every season. What ever happened to just shutting the hell up, doing your job, and letting your performance depict your pay or where you end up?

fordfixer
02-03-2010, 10:19 PM

Sounds like TJ Houshmandzadeh last offseason. The Bengals came with a deal similar to what he was being offered by other teams, but since it wasn't "early" enough TJ had hurt feelings and went elsewhere.

Sensitive players...

He may want to fill this out and send it to Rodger

HURT FEELINGS REPORT

DATE:________________

TIME OF HURTFULNESS:______ AM/PM

A.Which ear were words of hurtfulness spoken into: LEFT RIGHT or BOTH

B.Is there permanent feeling damage? YES NO

C.Did you need a tissue for the tears? YES NO

REASONS FOR FILING THIS REPORT: (circle yes or no)

1. I am thin skinned YES NO
2. I am a wussy YES NO
3. I have woman like hormones YES NO
4. I am a Queer YES NO
5. I am a little punk YES NO
6. I am a cry baby YES NO
7. I want my mommy YES NO
8. All of the above YES NO (just circle this one since all most likely apply)

Name of ''REAL man"" who hurt your sensitive little feelings ____________

If you feel you need someone to hug, go home to mommy and let her hug you and change your diaper. If you feel as though you need to speak to someone to soothe you, please call this number : 1-800-CRY-BABY or 1-800-SIS-GIRL.

Girly man who filed report:___________________
Signature of girly man:_______________________

Real man (person who is being brought up on charges):___________________
Signature of real man:_______________________

Supervisor signature:___________________

Flasteel
02-03-2010, 10:59 PM

Sensitive players...

And as far as I'm concerned Hampton can enjoy the same fate as DoucheYourMamma. I'm getting sick of all the face-slapping comments and crying over not being wanted. If he can't understand the realities of him being a 33 year-old cholesterol addict...especially in light of the precarious economics of the NFL, then he can take his friggin' buffet bib and go snack somewhere else.

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2010, 01:51 AM

Sensitive players...

He may want to fill this out and send it to Rodger

HURT FEELINGS REPORT

DATE:________________

TIME OF HURTFULNESS:______ AM/PM

A.Which ear were words of hurtfulness spoken into: LEFT RIGHT or BOTH

B.Is there permanent feeling damage? YES NO

C.Did you need a tissue for the tears? YES NO

REASONS FOR FILING THIS REPORT: (circle yes or no)

1. I am thin skinned YES NO
2. I am a wussy YES NO
3. I have woman like hormones YES NO
4. I am a Queer YES NO
5. I am a little punk YES NO
6. I am a cry baby YES NO
7. I want my mommy YES NO
8. All of the above YES NO (just circle this one since all most likely apply)

Name of ''REAL man"" who hurt your sensitive little feelings ____________

If you feel you need someone to hug, go home to mommy and let her hug you and change your diaper. If you feel as though you need to speak to someone to soothe you, please call this number : 1-800-CRY-BABY or 1-800-SIS-GIRL.

Girly man who filed report:___________________
Signature of girly man:_______________________

Real man (person who is being brought up on charges):___________________
Signature of real man:_______________________

Supervisor signature:___________________

this is hilarious!!! :lol: :lol:
thanks for the good laugh... :Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2010, 01:34 PM

Just because Harris says that NT and FS are the strongest positions in the draft does not make it true.

Williams and Cody are 1st round NT prospects with Cam Thomas and Terrel Troup as possibilities in rounds 2 or 3. How does that make NT one of the strongest positions in the draft?

At FS, Eric Berry will go in the top 10, and Earl Thomas will go in the mid-first somewhere. After that, how many other top FS prospects are there? Maybe Nate Allen in round 2, Morgan Burnett in round 3, Major Wright or Myron Lewis is round 4? I don't think FS is particularly strong either.

On the other hand, I think a position like OT is strong this year, with 6 solid first round prospects (Okung, Davis, Campbell, Bulaga, Williams, and Brown).

I think CB is also strong, even if there is only one top 10 candidate in Haden (there are probably a dozen more CB's that will come of the board in the next couple of rounds...Warren, Wilson, Ghee, Cox, Robinson, McCourty, Franks, Jackson, Arenas, Owusu-Ansah, Murphy, Spievey).

MaxAMillion
02-04-2010, 03:35 PM
I think there is some whistling past the grave yard going on. There were some post saying the Steelers would be ok when Troy first went out. That was clearly not the case. You have to have players in the pipeline in order to continue without drop off when a player leaves for free agency.

The Steelers don't have a full time fill in for Hampton or Clark. Which means they will have to sign other free agents or use the draft to fill in those spots. I think the Steelers have to figure out a way to keep Hampton. The defense will suffer if Hampton is not here next year. They also need to start focusing on having Hampton's replacement on the roster. Drafting in Williams in round one may be the way to go.

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2010, 07:50 PM

Just because Harris says that NT and FS are the strongest positions in the draft does not make it true.

Williams and Cody are 1st round NT prospects with Cam Thomas and Terrel Troup as possibilities in rounds 2 or 3. How does that make NT one of the strongest positions in the draft?

At FS, Eric Berry will go in the top 10, and Earl Thomas will go in the mid-first somewhere. After that, how many other top FS prospects are there? Maybe Nate Allen in round 2, Morgan Burnett in round 3, Major Wright or Myron Lewis is round 4? I don't think FS is particularly strong either.

On the other hand, I think a position like OT is strong this year, with 6 solid first round prospects (Okung, Davis, Campbell, Bulaga, Williams, and Brown).

I think CB is also strong, even if there is only one top 10 candidate in Haden (there are probably a dozen more CB's that will come of the board in the next couple of rounds...Warren, Wilson, Ghee, Cox, Robinson, McCourty, Franks, Jackson, Arenas, Owusu-Ansah, Murphy, Spievey).

I just read this this excerpt from a scout at NFLHouse.com...

Nate Allen, S, South Florida

In what I feel is the best safety class Iíve ever scouted Allen should be right in that mix as top five in his position. The amazing thing is that even though there might be two or three safeties better than Allen, heís still so talented that heís still a top 40 prospect in this class. He may have jumped Taylor Mays already, and he could end up being a 1st rounder.

Myron Rolle, S, Florida State

Itís not very often (actually, I doubt itís ever happened) that a top level talent leaves early from college, not for the NFL draft but to be Rhodes Scholar. There were questions about how he would re-adapt to the football world, but he seems in perfect shape and seems as though heís never left. He still has to continue playing well and showcasing his skills, but Rolle has definitely re-emerged as a top notch safety prospect.