PDA

View Full Version : For those who buy into the 'We are now a passing team' myth

Discipline of Steel
02-03-2010, 06:45 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 65114.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_665114.html)

Spoken by the man at the top, thank goodness...

Steelers commit to re-establishing run

MIAMI -- The New York Jets led the NFL in rushing this season by following a similar approach to one taken by the Steelers in 2004. Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca played on both teams, and he might have trouble recognizing his former one.

The Steelers passed the ball 56 percent of the time in 2009 -- they passed more than any other Steelers team in the 2000s -- and that stands in stark contrast to the team running the ball 68 percent of the time in 2004.

Such a discrepancy may show how far the Steelers have strayed from the philosophy of pounding opposing teams with the run -- and from themselves, as team president Art Rooney II recently suggested.

Rooney said one of the top Steelers' top priorities during the offseason will be moving toward a more run-oriented attack, a process that started with the hiring of new offensive line coach Sean Kugler last month.

"I think we've got to get better at the run," Steelers tight end Heath Miller said. "I think when you're able to establish the run everything else just branches off that, the offense just kind of opens up. There were games this year when we didn't run the ball as well as we would have liked."

The Steelers had a 1,000-yard rusher -- second-year back Rashard Mendenhall -- but their touchdown rate of 48.2 percent when inside the opponents' 20-yard line ranked 21st in the NFL.

That is a reflection of the team's inability to consistently run the ball near the goal line and in short-yardage situations. Those shortcomings prompted Rooney to say the Steelers need to run the ball better in 2010 and that "it's certainly something that traditionally has been one of the foundations of the team."

The Steelers have run the ball differently since 2007, Bruce Arians' first season as offensive coordinator.

Arians has opened up the offense and has not had much use for a traditional fullback.

The Steelers typically use a tight end as a lead blocker in short-yardage situations if they run at all in them.

No play served as more of a flashpoint for fan and media criticism than when the Steelers went with an empty backfield early in a must-win game Dec. 10 at Cleveland. They tried to throw the ball on third-and-1, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was sacked on the play that set the tone in the Steelers' 13-6 loss.

There had been speculation that Arians might lose his job even though the Steelers had a 4,000-yard passer, two 1,000-yard receivers and a 1,000-yard rusher in a season for the first time in franchise history.

Arians survived what could be considered a minor shakeup to Mike Tomlin's coaching staff. But he may be under pressure to nudge the offense in the other direction after the Steelers have gone from running the ball 54 percent of the time in 2007 to 51 percent in 2008 and 44 percent last season.

"My last year there we kind of got away from that dedicated ground-and-pound aspect," said Faneca, who left the Steelers as a free agent after 2007 following 10 seasons with the team. "We were more of a mix-the-run-and-pass together. We weren't necessarily just trying to jam the ball down your throat."

The 2009 Jets and 2004 Steelers did just that. The two offenses were remarkably similar in that each protected a rookie quarterback by taking advantage of two talented running backs and a physical offensive line flush with first-round draft picks.

Perhaps not coincidentally, the 2009 Jets and '04 Steelers averaged 172.2 and 154.0 rushing yards per game, respectively.

If the Steelers want to get back to what they did in the middle of last decade -- they ran the ball 59 percent of the time in 2005 and averaged 124.5 rushing yards that season -- it may not happen right away.

No starters along their offensive line were drafted before the third round. And they haven't had an offensive lineman make the Pro Bowl since Faneca in 2007.

By comparison, three of the Jets' offensive linemen played in the Pro Bowl on Sunday night, including Faneca. All three were first-round draft picks.

The one significant change the Steelers made before the free-agent signing period and draft is replacing Larry Zierlein with Kugler.

Kugler, whose patchwork unit in Buffalo helped Fred Jackson rush for 1,062 yards this season, said the linemen that compete and finish plays are the ones who will be on the field next season.

What the Steelers do in the NFL Draft in late April may also be an indicator of how committed they are to running the ball next season.

ESPN NFL draft analyst Todd McShay said the Steelers could use their first-round pick (No. 18 overall) on an offensive tackle and play him there or move him inside to guard.

McShay said the 2010 draft class is deep at offensive tackle.

"I get the sense from talking to people in the league that (the Steelers) want to get back to becoming a little bit more of a physical offensive football team," McShay said. "As much as they love Ben and as much as they love throwing the ball, they need to be able to run the ball when push comes to shove."

Oviedo
02-03-2010, 09:04 AM
The teams in Sunday's Super Bowl rank #31 and #32 in rushing. You may want to run the ball because of some sense of nostalgia for good old fashion Western Pa high school football but I'd rather see my team in the Super Bowl.

Bottomline is that you don't need a top rushing attack to make it to the Super Bowl but you do need a very, very good passing attack. You also need a very good defense that doesn't blow 4th quarter leads :stirpot

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-03-2010, 09:24 AM
The teams in Sunday's Super Bowl rank #31 and #32 in rushing. You may want to run the ball because of some sense of nostalgia for good old fashion Western Pa high school football but I'd rather see my team in the Super Bowl.

Bottomline is that you don't need a top rushing attack to make it to the Super Bowl but you do need a very, very good passing attack. You also need a very good defense that doesn't blow 4th quarter leads :stirpot

Well put!

I wonder though if someone were to dig deeper into the stats if the Colts' and Saints' running game would look as bad. For example - how did these teams' running games rank in 3rd and 1 situations? Or 4th and goal?

I think we can all agree that the Steelers' overall running attack was not as good as it's ranking. Its consistent inability to make 3rd and 1 (to the point that BA even stopped calling runs on those plays) made the run game seem almost useless at times.

MaxAMillion
02-03-2010, 09:45 AM

Excellent point, and what I have made often as well. If Rooney wants to start becoming Jerry Jones by telling coaches what to do, then we have problems. The Jets ran into the same problem that Cowher's teams ran into for years. They played a team who could score points in the playoffs and the Steelers couldn't keep up. This run mentality did not net the Jets or Steelers any titles so I am not sure why they want to copy that approach. You have to pass the ball in the NFL now. Rooney should just fire Tomlin and coach the team himself if he is no going to dictate what offense is run.

Ben is the best player on the offense. Why would you want to take the ball out of his hand? The Colts and Saints don't want to take the ball out of their QB's hand.

BURGH86STEEL
02-03-2010, 10:22 AM

The Saints were a bit better rushing the ball. They ranked 6th in the league.

It is difficult to win in the league without a passing game and defense. I understand the offense needs to improve in a few areas. The defense is the one side of the ball that will always keep the team in games. It is the one side of the ball that has been mostly responsible for winning 6 SB's.

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2010, 10:30 AM

Wrong.

The Colts are #32 in rushing. They cannot run because their offensive line sucks.

Charlie Johnson-Ryan Lilja-Jeff Saturday-Kyle DeVan-Ryan Diem

The only reason Peyton doesn't get killed behind these guys is because he makes fast decisions and has a quick release (and crawls up into the fetal position at any sign of pressure so that he doesn't ever get hit).

The Saints, however, are #6 in rushing (that's a pretty long way from #31, eh?). They have rushed for over 2100 yards as a team this season (over 130 yards per game).

They have a built a solid o-line that can protect Brees as well as open holes for Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell, and Reggie Bush.

Jamaal Brown-Carl Nicks-Jonathan Goodwin-Jahri Evans-Jon Stinchcomb (although Brown has been replaced by Jermon Bushrod when Brown was injured early this season).

The Saints should be the model of balance that we should strive for. They are 4th in passing and 6th in rushing (as opposed to the Colts who are 2nd in passing and 32nd in rushing). Unfortunately, Bruce Arians remembers his days as Peyton's first QB coach and seems intent on steering this offense in that direction, even though Ben couldn't be more different than Peyton in his overall playing style.

Luckily, other people in the organization see the importance of being able to run as well as pass (no one is suggesting that we go back to three-yards-and-a-could-of-dust offense that only passes when we absolutely have to...we just want to be able to run when the situation calls for it).

BURGH86STEEL
02-03-2010, 11:10 AM

Wrong.

The Colts are #32 in rushing. They cannot run because their offensive line sucks.

The only reason Peyton doesn't get killed behind these guys is because he makes fast decisions and has a quick release (and crawls up into the fetal position at any sign of pressure so that he doesn't ever get hit).

The Saints, however, are #6 in rushing (that's a pretty long way from #31, eh?). They have rushed for over 2100 yards as a team this season (over 130 yards per game).

They have a built a solid o-line that can protect Brees as well as open holes for Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell, and Reggie Bush.

Jamaal Brown-Carl Nicks-Jonathan Goodwin-Jahri Evans-Jon Stinchcomb (although Brown has been replaced by Jermon Bushrod when Brown was injured early this season).

The Saints should be the model of balance that we should strive for. They are 4th in passing and 6th in rushing (as opposed to the Colts who are 2nd in passing and 32nd in rushing). Unfortunately, Bruce Arians remembers his days as Peyton's first QB coach and seems intent on steering this offense in that direction, even though Ben couldn't be more different than Peyton in his overall playing style.

Luckily, other people in the organization see the importance of being able to run as well as pass (no one is suggesting that we go back to three-yards-and-a-could-of-dust offense that only passes when we absolutely have to...we just want to be able to run when the situation calls for it).

I agree that the Saints are a good model for balance. With that said, their defense created a lot of turnovers(+11) for that team to maintain that balance. Can't over look what being +11 in turnover means for a team. They would lean more on the passing game without those turnovers. It will be interesting to see if they drop down near the bottom of the league(07 & 08) next season without a +11 turnover ratio. I think that having that type of balance is difficult to maintain for any substantial period of time.

When was the last time the Steelers were a balanced team where they could actually run and pass the ball consistently and equally well?

Find it strange that some fans are all up and arms because the team is leaning more on the pass game then the rush game. I thought it was what most fans expected as Ben gained more experience. I agree with you that they need to improve rushing the in situations. The players have to do a better job blocking on 3rd and short and other situations for that to happen.

SteelTorch
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm all for running the ball and that good stuff, but the more I read, the more I get the feeling that some of the old-timers (no offense :P ) want us to run the ball just for the sake of running the ball.

I want to see the Steelers win, first and foremost, and if that calls for running the ball more, so be it. I want to the Steelers to run, but I want us to run when the situation calls for it, and to be able to run the ball well.

SteelerSal
02-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Excellent point, and what I have made often as well. If Rooney wants to start becoming Jerry Jones by telling coaches what to do, then we have problems. The Jets ran into the same problem that Cowher's teams ran into for years. They played a team who could score points in the playoffs and the Steelers couldn't keep up. This run mentality did not net the Jets or Steelers any titles so I am not sure why they want to copy that approach. You have to pass the ball in the NFL now. Rooney should just fire Tomlin and coach the team himself if he is no going to dictate what offense is run.

Ben is the best player on the offense. Why would you want to take the ball out of his hand? The Colts and Saints don't want to take the ball out of their QB's hand.

+1
Thats the whole key point right there. It's not as important to run the ball and have 150 ypg avg, it's how successful you are in key situation per attempt.

I hate stats because they don't really tell the whole story, heck there has been seasons when our run defense ranked in the top 5 but that was because opposing teams were lighting it up in the air against our bad secondary.

SteelCzar76
02-03-2010, 01:17 PM
"Wait,...you mean to tell me that those are six Lombardi Trophies that this Organization has on display and not six plaques commemorating Ben Roethlisberger STEELER passing titles ? Surely you all must jest ! LOL

Mister Pittsburgh
02-03-2010, 01:21 PM

100% agree. Our passing attack is all downfield. No real short yardage timing pattern type passes. You mix in a better short yardage passing game and get the RB involved more in the passing game, that can also open up the run as defenses will have to be on their heals wondering if we are going to hit the short slant, curl type patterns. You would think getting the short passing game going would open up the longer stuff, especially if Ben utilizes his pump fake more often.

Sure, you do need to be able to run on 3rd & 1 though. I agree with that. But I don't think you need to put a percentage on how many rushing attempts you need. I didn't see Rooney saying we needed to run 'more', just run when we have to.

Slapstick
02-03-2010, 01:30 PM
These are Art Rooney's quotes taken directly from the published article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (bold font by moi):

"I think Mike and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to," Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette yesterday. "So that's part of the thinking in the offseason: We need to figure out how to get better running the football."

"We have to get back to being able to run the football when we need to run the football, and being able to run more consistently than we have in the past season," he said.

Rooney is simply saying what any Steelers fan with a brain in his head was saying at the end of the season. Now, to me, this is not a mandate to run the ball more. This is a mandate to run the ball better.

If the pass/run percentage skews less toward the passing portion of the ratio, it will be because the Steelers want to fix the run game so that 3rd and 1 is no longer a passing situation whether they like it or not...

ikestops85
02-03-2010, 01:39 PM
These are Art Rooney's quotes taken directly from the published article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (bold font by moi):

[quote]"I think Mike and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to," Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette yesterday. "So that's part of the thinking in the offseason: We need to figure out how to get better running the football."

"We have to get back to being able to run the football when we need to run the football, and being able to run more consistently than we have in the past season," he said.

Rooney is simply saying what any Steelers fan with a brain in his head was saying at the end of the season. Now, to me, this is not a mandate to run the ball more. This is a mandate to run the ball better.

If the pass/run percentage skews less toward the passing portion of the ratio, it will be because the Steelers want to fix the run game so that 3rd and 1 is no longer a passing situation whether they like it or not...[/quote:yapeh53t]

:Agree

This isn't exactly a revelation. There are certain situations where we need to be able to successfully run the ball and we haven't been able to do that the last couple of years. How many times were we 1st and goal inside the 5 last year and not be able to run the ball in? That's all Rooney and Tomlin are saying ... it's hard to disagree with them.

SteelCzar76
02-03-2010, 01:42 PM

[quote]"I think Mike and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to," Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette yesterday. "So that's part of the thinking in the offseason: We need to figure out how to get better running the football."

If the pass/run percentage skews less toward the passing portion of the ratio, it will be because the Steelers want to fix the run game so that 3rd and 1 is no longer a passing situation whether they like it or not...[/quote:3qlu8jp8]

And would the first step toward this be,....dare i say,....stop allowing Roethlisberger to call the majority of the plays ? And perhaps get him to study film, work on his accuracy, timing and ball placement so that he could be productive in executing what plays are called from the coaching staff ?

Slapstick
02-03-2010, 01:47 PM
And would the first step toward this be,....dare i say,....stop allowing Roethlisberger to call the majority of the plays ? And perhaps get him to study film, work on his accuracy, timing and ball placement so that he could be productive in executing what plays are called from the coaching staff ?

Well, the first step would be improving the blocking schemes of the offensive line and trying to get better play out of the players currently on the roster...hiring a new offensive line coach was the first step.

I have no problem with Roethlisberger calling the majority of the plays in the no huddle set, because that's when he truly calls the majority of the plays...in the no huddle, he's successful...

SteelCzar76
02-03-2010, 01:59 PM
...in the no huddle, he's successful...

That is true,... if one defines success as the QB padding his yardage and attempts stats between the 20 yard lines while the offense still fails to score points and we go 9-7, miss the playoffs and lose to 3 of the worst teams of the 2009 season. (IMHO)

feltdizz
02-03-2010, 02:21 PM
...in the no huddle, he's successful...

That is true,... if one defines success as the QB padding his yardage and attempts stats between the 20 yard lines while the offense still fails to score points and we go 9-7, miss the playoffs and lose to 3 of the worst teams of the 2009 season. (IMHO)
It didn't matter how good our redzone O was last year. More TD's would've just lead to more breakdowns by our D in the fourth.

I definitely want our O to improve but last year i don't think we could protect our D by scoring mega points. Ike screwed up the easiest freaking onside kick I have ever seen... It wasn't our year.

Looking forward I think we need to run better... The only running played that worked consistently was the sprint draw and that was due to the passing game. We rarely watched a decent 5 yard run with good blocking. I don't mind screens and swing passes being used where we usually run the ball.

It would be stupid to run like the Jets with Ben and our WR's... Jets run like that because they have too not because they want to.

birtikidis
02-03-2010, 02:27 PM
1) rooney wasn't telling the coaches what to do. he was identifying a need for improvement. big difference.
2) our offensive line was drafted based on run blocking skills, that is what they excel at. so don't blame the players, blame the playcalling. why put them in situations that they can't succeed in?
3) our defense would blow much few leads if the offense had any ability at all to churn out long drives. who cares if you score 30 points if you can't keep the ball away from the other team? mroe chances mean that there are more opportunites for the oppossing teams to score points. remember they're professionals too. why do you think cowher was near perfect with an 11 point lead? because he called plays that, even when unsuccessful, took time off the clock.
4) who cares if you set team passing records if you can't make the damn playoffs.
5) return protection calls to the offensive line. ben cannot identify the free blitzer and it causes too many sacks (see the browns game for 1 example).

Iron Shiek
02-03-2010, 03:34 PM

Wrong.

I don't think you can downplay the Colts rushing attack though. Having that threat of being able to run is enough to scare defenses into softening the coverage, opening up the passing game. You display Colts team rushing stats and they don't look favorable. But in the situations when it counts, they CAN run, which helps Peyton's cause quite a bit.

Joseph Addai had 218 rushing attempts...18th ranked in the league. He averaged 3.8 yards, which isn't outstanding, but definitely moves the chains. I like the fact that he had 13 tds (rushing and receiving) and 12 of them were from 15 yards and in.

So while the Colts look terrible in total as a running offense, the balance of the huge passing attack and successful situational rushing seems like an okay offense to model after. To me, just win games by all means necessary, whether its how the Saints do it or the Colts do it. It got both of them to the Super Bowl this year.

(I know, I'm probably bending stats to favor my argument and there are stats that go against what I just said, but it sounded good to me at the time of posting so :moon to any detractors!) :D

NorthCoast
02-03-2010, 09:33 PM
I don't think anyone wants to 'run just to run'. But we definitely need to run when we NEED to run. That's been our biggest problem the last few years.

We went from 56% red zone scoring in 2008 to 48% this year. That was bad enough to drop us from 14th to 23rd ranked in the league. We even had more red zone attempts this year and yet failed to score more often. I've already documented Ben's issues with passing in the red zone and I think a stronger run game can only help.

I am really liking some of the things I am hearing about Kugler. I think we've lost some 'attitude' on our OL since we went to a pass-happy offense.

stlrz d
02-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Ben is fine in the RZ. A quality RZ rushing attack will only make him better.

Discipline of Steel
02-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Lets face it, we must improve our short yardage O, sure. Even more important is it would be nice to get back to strangulating our opponents in the fourth quarter by holding the ball for more than 3 plays and keeping our D OFF THE FIELD. Tomlin was playing too many games this year angling for the last possesion in back and forth games.

feltdizz
02-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Lets face it, we must improve our short yardage O, sure. Even more important is it would be nice to get back to strangulating our opponents in the fourth quarter by holding the ball for more than 3 plays and keeping our D OFF THE FIELD. Tomlin was playing too many games this year angling for the last possesion in back and forth games.
True... but last year our D was special.. and not in a good way. 2 to 3 plays on D was the difference between 9 wins and 12 wins.

I don't think 2 or 3 more RZ scored change our season last year.

It was nice to watch with Bettis but honestly we aren't built to grind games anymore. I think we forget that a ton of those Cowher 4th quarters still had punts... we just never watched a D lay down like last year. If we had a D like last year when we were grinding in the 4th with Cowher we would've lost even more games and Cowher would've been fired.

SteelTorch
02-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Would there be any way to set up a debate between SteelCzar76 and Smartmonies? We need some entertainment in the off season. :P

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Steelers | Bettis says he believes offense needs tweaking

Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:49:39

Ed Bouchette, of Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports former NFL RB Jerome Bettis said he believes the Pittsburgh Steelers need to tweak their offense at bit but do not need a complete overhaul. "All it needs is tweaking. It doesn't need a total overhaul. And if you would overhaul that, it would be a mistake. [QB Ben Roethlisberger] is maturing into one of the best passers in the game. Now the running game has to develop. If the running game develops, now you have an offense that is close to unstoppable," Bettis said.

feltdizz
02-04-2010, 07:38 PM

Ed Bouchette, of Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports former NFL RB Jerome Bettis said he believes the Pittsburgh Steelers need to tweak their offense at bit but do not need a complete overhaul. "All it needs is tweaking. It doesn't need a total overhaul. And if you would overhaul that, it would be a mistake. [QB Ben Roethlisberger] is maturing into one of the best passers in the game. Now the running game has to develop. If the running game develops, now you have an offense that is close to unstoppable," Bettis said.

spot on... I think we are close to being unstoppable on offense. The problem is if we don't score every time we have the ball we suck. LOL

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2010, 07:56 PM

spot on... I think we are close to being unstoppable on offense. The problem is if we don't score every time we have the ball we suck. LOL

just blame it on Arians... :lol:

feltdizz
02-04-2010, 08:10 PM

please do not say that name... that name brings out the b!tch in a lot of grown men.

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2010, 08:13 PM

please do not say that name... that name brings out the b!tch in a lot of grown men.

okay, how about "Brucie" then?

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2010, 08:26 PM

okay, how about "Brucie" then?

http://i19.tinypic.com/5zr4whl.gif http://critiquecinema.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/my_name_is_bruce.jpg

Discipline of Steel
02-05-2010, 01:09 AM

Yes. We have a RB in Mendenhall...1000 yrds, fine. Now lets go get us a quality FB so we can rush EFFECTIVELY in the 4th quarter and punch it in from close range. With a FB, we ARE built to grind it out in the 4th. Starx, Kemo, Urbik, and Colon are all big, if not maulers. Our TE are very respectable in this aspect. When are we going to restore the FB position? That would be Bettis's tweek and responsive to Rooney 2's suggestion.

Slapstick
02-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Losing McHugh to injury really weakened the short yardage run game...

He was the perfect #3 TE...he actually is able to lead block like a FB...

Oviedo
02-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Yes we should. He didn't do enough to protect our defense from themselves. But Troy will be back next year so everything will be fine. :stirpot