PDA

View Full Version : Are the Steelers being fair with Hampton?

Shawn
02-02-2010, 08:35 PM
As you may know by now, Pittsburgh Steelers defensive lineman Casey Hampton will become a free agent on March 5.

The team's front office has two options available to keep Hampton from hitting the open market.

The first one is that they could negotiate a long-term contract of approximately four years and hope to get a deal done before next month.

The other option is that the Steelers could elect to make Hampton their exclusive franchise player which would guarantee his rights with the Steelers for one more year. By making Hampton the franchise player, the Steelers would have to pay him the average of the top five salaries ($6 million) at his position for next season.

The latter option would indeed make the most sense because Hampton is 33 years old and probably has only one or two quality years left in him. Furthermore, the Steelers donít have a young player at that position being groomed to take over for Hampton.

If the Steelers believe they still have the makings of a championship caliber team, retaining Hamptonís services for another year seems paramount.

The problem, however, is that Casey Hampton doesnít want the franchise tag. He wants a long term deal or nothing at all. Hampton has gone out of his way to say so. He said that a one-year contract worth $6 million would be considered a slap in his face for all that he has done for the organization. Hampton added that there would be problems if he is franchised and denied the opportunity to seek out the highest bidder in free agency.

Well isnít that just too bad, Casey. Should we have a pity party for you now?

Let's see. The United States' unemployment rate is near an all-time high. Thousands of Americans have lost their homes over the past five years. Haiti just lost a couple hundred thousand people to an deadly earthquake and the survivors are left without much of anything. But Casey Hampton would consider it a slap in the face to get only $6 million to play for one season. Thatís pretty bold stuff coming from a guy who canít even play all three downs.

Maybe Hampton should have worried about his contract status when he kept coming into camp 40 and 50 pounds overweight. Perhaps if former Head Coach Bill Cowher and current Head Coach Mike Tomlin didnít have to babysit him for the last five years, Hampton would have had a new contract by now.

Not only that, but Hampton is going down a long and ugly road by virtually ordering the Steelers to keep the franchise tag off him. Does he really think Pittsburgh will be sympathetic to an often out of shape, part-time player that kicks and screams like a baby because he is ďonlyĒ getting paid $6 million.

To play football?

For one season?

Good luck with that.

Do general managers in football have a shelf life?

I can remember the great coach of the San Francisco 49ers, Bill Walsh, saying that coaches have about 10 years until they need to move on.

I wonder if it's the same with general managers.

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' Director of Football Operations, has basically been the team's general manager for the past decade. His work leading up to the Steelers 2005 Super Bowl win was excellent.

Over the past three years, however, Colbert seems to have lost his touch, as he has made some puzzling decisions.

1) Despite having a myriad of other needs, Colbert drafted linebacker Lawrence Timmons when they didnít need a replacement for Larry Foote. Three years later, it is still questionable to whether Timmons is an every down player at that position.

2) He has destroyed any room the Steelers had under the salary cap by making offensive lineman Max Starks the franchise player for two consecutive years, which paid him $8 million or so per season. It wasnít as if Starks was a highly sought-after player that would have received a contract offer in free agency that the Steelers could not have competed with. After all, they were apparently willing to give him $8 million for a season. This was a situation ultimately brought on by the loss of All-Pro left guard Alan Faneca. Wouldnít it have made more sense to have franchised Faneca and worked out a long-term deal with Starks?

We all know that Faneca did not want the franchise tag, but the situation might have just forced him to work out a long-term deal with the Steelers that both parties could have lived with. There was no need to franchise Starks. This was just a knee-jerk move by Colbert who was panicked that he might lose another veteran offensive lineman in successive years.

3) The drafting of backup tight ends and punters in the third and fourth rounds of the 2007 draft made no sense considering that the offensive line needed rebuilding and the defensive line was beginning to age.

4) The decision to roll with William Gay at cornerback and let Bryant McFadden walk didnít turn out that well.

Advertisement

It would be difficult to ignore the situation the Steelers are faced with. They are in a position where they have to consider resigning Hampton, cornerback Deshea Townsend, and safety Ryan Clark to keep this team ultra-competitive.

Let's face the facts here. It is not the Steelers' way is to sign 30-plus year old veterans to long term deals. They have always had young guys behind their key veterans that were being groomed to take over.

But, last year, the Steelers did not have a replacement for James Farrior and were forced to sign the aging linebacker to a longer contract.

They do not have young replacements for Hampton, Townsend, Clark, or even Bryan McFadden (as it appears that William Gay, who was exposed in theMonday night game against Denver, is highly questionable to become anything more than a weakness in the secondary). Those are a lot key defensive positions that have no clear direction in the future.

In addition, the much-maligned offensive line is still much-maligned.

With Colbert's inability to get much from the draft after the second round the last four years, you have to wonder where all these players are going to come from. Itís not a time to panic, but I canít say that Iím not concerned.

Dutch is a sports talk host on wmbs590 radio Saturday mornings 9-10 am. You can email Dutch at smartmonies@gmail.com

SteelHead
02-02-2010, 08:58 PM
The whole Casey situation boils down to one thing.

Pride.

He doesn't want to have to swallow the slightest little bit of it either. That's obvious.

But it seems Casey probably doesn't have much choice in the matter. I'd find it hard to believe he would tank performance wise just to prove a point. Would he do that to the very same teammates he claims to be so close to ? Even if he did , would they let him ?

As far as Colbert goes.....He hasn't made ALL the right moves but who does ? I think he's done a fine job and it's not as though the other 31 teams in the league aren't constantly dealing with the very same issues in that article.

The team has some tough decisions coming up but I'm confident in Colbert and Tomlin to get it right.

We are still the reigning SB champs right ? At least until Sunday.....

Eddie Spaghetti
02-02-2010, 09:02 PM
gotta slap the tag on casey.

no love for bruce davis?

talk about a cup of coffee.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I would like to see the Steelers draft a NT to groom for the future (such as Dan Williams, Terrence Cody, Torrell Troup, Cam Thomas, Jay Ross, Boo Smith) and rotate them in with Chris Hoke next year while the rookie NT learns our defensive scheme.

This would save us the $6 million plus/year that Casey would be making and that money can then go towards signing some of our younger players like Santonio Holmes, Rashard Mendenhall, David Woodley, etc to long-term contracts in the future.

It just isn't the Steelers' nature or philosophy to sign aging players with diminishing skills to lucrative long-term contracts. If the Steelers were to franchise Casey, that could lead to problems and distractions the Steelers just don't need or want.

I have loved watching Hampton in a Steelers uniform, it will definitely be weird seeing him play for another team. Unfortunately that's the nature of the business nowadays.

RuthlessBurgher
02-02-2010, 09:11 PM
I would like to see the Steelers draft a NT to groom for the future (such as Dan Williams, Terrence Cody, Torrell Troup, Cam Thomas, Jay Ross, Boo Smith) and rotate them in with Chris Hoke next year while the rookie NT learns our defensive scheme.

This would save us the $6 million plus/year that Casey would be making and that money can then go towards signing some of our younger players like Santonio Holmes, Rashard Mendenhall, David Woodley, etc to long-term contracts in the future.

It just isn't the Steelers' nature or philosophy to sign aging players with diminishing skills to lucrative long-term contracts. If the Steelers were to franchise Casey, that could lead to problems and distractions the Steelers just don't need or want.

I have loved watching Hampton in a Steelers uniform, it will definitely be weird seeing him play for another team. Unfortunately that's the nature of the business nowadays.

Ouch. What a typo. :mrgreen:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0118/nfl_g_woodley_200.jpg http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/peter_king/01/16/championshippics/woodley-flacco.jpg

It's sad that I couldn't even find a picture of David Woodley in his Steeler uniform.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Only smart thing to do would be to throw the franchise tag on him for one year. Since he is going to be a bitch about it then gotta draft NT and rotate them with Hoke.

For as many Steelers players I have heard over the past couple years demanding the Steelers do things right in the players eyes, there aren't too many that do right by the organization. I actually think Chris Kemoeatu is the only player in recent memory I can recall taking less to stick in Pittsburgh. The Jets offered him a million more per and he turned it down.

Some will argue Bettis, but who did who the favor here? He was a part time player along for the Superbowl ride to his hometown and he almost gave it away in Indy.

Some might argue Farrior, but the dude barely has anything left in the tank.

With how we are primed for the next half dozen years for Superbowl runs with a decent amount of youth on both sides of the ball, and Ben Roethlisberger, where is the loyalty from the players and their drive to win the Superbowl? Where are the older free agents from other teams that could come in and have a shot at a ring and sign for dirt cheap like the Pats continually got? They could at least be solid backups.

I say F Casey Hampton. Go play for Miami for the next two years and win nothing, roll your fatass around in your pile of money they will give you, and make sure to tune in all of January as the Steelers are playing in the playoffs while you get to sit your fatass on your couch eating chips.

This may sound ludacris to some, but if I were the Steelers I would consider doing something that never happens in the NFL. And this is all if they can't draft someone this year they feel can be the future at NT. But if I were them, I would honestly consider moving Chris Kemoeatu from OG to NT. Dude is a horse, has the build to play NT, and has a nasty demeanor. Before you laugh and call me an idiot, just think about it for a minute.

We have a lot more option on the OL than we do at NT. There will easily be an offensive player that could start year one at pick 18 where there won't be a NT this year that could start year one. We got a lot of young players that could fill the OL gaps. Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, Darnell Stapleton, Craig Urbik, etc.

I petition to let Hamp go, move Kemo to NT, and let Hokey and him man the middle for this season.

TallyStiller
02-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Casey Hampton's pride will disappear the second he gets paid, in the sense that we only THOUGHT he let himself go physically in the years prior to 2009. That guy is gonna sit back with a big freaking cigar, a case of brew, a pizza, and a bucket of chicken and celebrate the signing bonus hitting his bank account, and roll from there. Fat guys with ability from Gilbert Brown to Dan Wilkinson have eaten themselves out of this league... and having that contract hanging over his head is the ONLY thing that has kept Casey Hampton playing at the level he has for as long as he has. Take that leverage away, and we've got nothing.

As I see it, he's SAYS he'll be a cancer if we franchise him, and we KNOW he'll be a cancer, in the sense that he'll go from 0 to fat, useless turd in 4 seconds, if we DO pay him. The Rooneys are good enough people that they won't screw him over by tagging him, then drafting a nose tackle R1 and pulling the tender, which is what I'D do in the circumstance... as I see it, he walks and we go into next season with Hoke, a lower $$$ FA, and a draft pick.

eniparadoxgma
02-02-2010, 10:13 PM
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4519/msmshortbus.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/i/msmshortbus.jpg/)

Props to MJG I believe.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2010, 10:18 PM

Ouch. What a typo. :mrgreen:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0118/nfl_g_woodley_200.jpg http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/peter_king/01/16/championshippics/woodley-flacco.jpg

It's sad that I couldn't even find a picture of David Woodley in his Steeler uniform.

my apologies to LaMarr...i just googled David Woodley to see what ever happened to him, i am very sorry to find out that he has passed on.

David Woodley
No. 16,19
Quarterback
Personal information
Date of birth: October 25, 1958
Place of birth: Shreveport, Louisiana
Date of death: May 4, 2003 (aged 44)
Place of death: Shreveport, Louisiana
Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) Weight: 204 lb (93 kg)
Career information
College: Louisiana State
NFL Draft: 1980 / Round: 8 / Pick: 214
Debuted in 1980 for the Miami Dolphins
Last played in 1985 for the Pittsburgh Steelers

Career history
As player:
Miami Dolphins (1980-1983)
Pittsburgh Steelers (1984-1986)
Green Bay Packers (1987)*
*Offseason and/or practice squad member only
Career highlights and awards
None
Career NFL statistics as of 1985
TD-INT 48-63
Yards 8,558
QB Rating 65.7
Stats at NFL.com
David Eugene Woodley (October 25, 1958ĖMay 4, 2003) was an American football player and quarterback for Louisiana State University (1977-1979), the National Football League's Miami Dolphins (1980-1983), and the Pittsburgh Steelers (1984-1985). Woodley's running ability and intelligence, in addition to his passing skills, helped elevate him to become a starting NFL quarterback.
Woodley was a three year starter and All-State quarterback for C. E. Byrd High School in Shreveport, Louisiana, before signing to play college football at LSU. In his final college game as a senior, he led LSU to a 34-10 victory over Wake Forest University in the 1979 Tangerine Bowl and was named the game's Most Valuable Player. He was inducted into the LSU Hall of Fame.
As quarterback for the Miami Dolphins, Woodley is best known as the bridge between the eras of Hall of Famers Bob Griese and Dan Marino. Despite being an eighth round draft selection, he was elected the Miami Dolphins team MVP for his rookie season in 1980. In 1982, he became one of the few NFL players to score touchdowns passing, running and receiving in an NFL season. Woodley split time with backup Don Strock, or "WoodStrock" as they were referred. Woodley started for the Dolphins in the 1981-82 playoff game versus the San Diego Chargers. After Miami fell behind 24-0, Strock led the Dolphins back into the game.
In the strike-shortened season of 1982, Woodley handled the lion's share of the time at QB en route to Miami winning the American Football Conference title. The Dolphins went on to face the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl XVII. At the time, he was the youngest Super Bowl starting quarterback in NFL history. Despite starting the game well with a 76-yard touchdown pass to Jimmy Cefalo, Woodley and the entire offense struggled after that, going 0 for 8 passing in the second half. The Redskins won the game 27-17.
In 1983, Woodley was Miami's starting quarterback, but in week five, the underperforming offense prompted coach Don Shula to insert then rookie quarterback, Dan Marino midway through a 17-7 road loss to the New Orleans Saints. By the next week, Marino was named the starter for the remainder of the season. Woodley was traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers after the 1983 season to compete with Cliff Stoudt and Mark Malone for the starting job for the 1984 season (elbow problems forced Terry Bradshaw to retire after the 1983 season). Woodley split the starting quarterback duty with Malone during both the 1984 and 1985 NFL seasons.
Despite being the highest paid player on the Steelers, Woodley abruptly retired before the 1986 season. His career officially ended after he was released by the Green Bay Packers during training camp in 1987.
Woodley is one of two quarterbacks in NFL history (Ken Stabler) to have a career winning percentage above .600 while also throwing at least 10 more interceptions than touchdowns. Woodley's career record was 34-18-1 (.651) despite throwing 63 interceptions against his 48 career touchdown passes.
After football, Woodley increasingly drank, causing several health problems.[1] Woodley underwent a liver transplant in Shreveport in 1992. On May, 4 2003 Woodley died from complications due to kidney and liver failure.[2]
[edit]

Shawn
02-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Casey Hampton's pride will disappear the second he gets paid, in the sense that we only THOUGHT he let himself go physically in the years prior to 2009. That guy is gonna sit back with a big freaking cigar, a case of brew, a pizza, and a bucket of chicken and celebrate the signing bonus hitting his bank account, and roll from there. Fat guys with ability from Gilbert Brown to Dan Wilkinson have eaten themselves out of this league... and having that contract hanging over his head is the ONLY thing that has kept Casey Hampton playing at the level he has for as long as he has. Take that leverage away, and we've got nothing.

As I see it, he's SAYS he'll be a cancer if we franchise him, and we KNOW he'll be a cancer, in the sense that he'll go from 0 to fat, useless turd in 4 seconds, if we DO pay him. The Rooneys are good enough people that they won't screw him over by tagging him, then drafting a nose tackle R1 and pulling the tender, which is what I'D do in the circumstance... as I see it, he walks and we go into next season with Hoke, a lower $$$ FA, and a draft pick.

That was well done...I'm almost convinced.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Is it fair? Fair means playing by the rules. The players union VOTED FOR these rules. So if a player thinks being tagged is bad, take it up with the union rep. Don't waste my time bitching and moaning!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-02-2010, 11:25 PM
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4519/msmshortbus.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/i/msmshortbus.jpg/)

Props to MJG I believe.

OK, I see Uniontown boy in the front seat, HHH in the back, and Ariens in there.

Who's the driver? And who's the cartoon character (the one that's not HHH)?

Thanks!

Shawn
02-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Is it fair? Fair means playing by the rules. The players union VOTED FOR these rules. So if a player thinks being tagged is bad, take it up with the union rep. Don't waste my time bitching and moaning!

Exactly.

steelblood
02-02-2010, 11:49 PM

I am starting to like Dan Williams more and more. I wouldn't be too angry if we took him at 18. He certainly isn't my first choice, but I think he will be a good pro. I also like that he can be effective pushing the pocket and therefore log some time on 3rd down as well.

If Cody were there at 52, I'd snap him up. I wouldn't touch the guy in the first round though. Cody is really strong and has very little stamina. As long as he shows no ability to control his weight, he is a huge risk.

I saw Troup play a few times this season. I think he has potential. He really looks like a NT. He is built low to the ground and thick. He is on the smaller side for a NT.

Cam Thomas has great size and natural strength. He flashed big time at the Senior Bowl. Unfortunately, he wasn't that great at UNC. The other DT Marvin Austin continually drew the double team. Still, Thomas was not a big factor in games. So, is he very talented, but held back by poor technique. Or, is he lazy?

Jay Ross has a bad body. His legs are too skinny and he looks top heavy. He is tough, but I don't think he is a natural NT. I watched him once this year and he ran pretty well, but didn't seem super strong at the POA. There is a poster on this board who is a ECU grad, and he didn't like Ross as a 3-4 NT either.

Boo Robinson (not Smith) now weighs 295 lbs because he suffered from chronic back pain at 325. We don't need a NT with a bad back.

hawaiiansteel
02-03-2010, 12:18 AM

I am starting to like Dan Williams more and more. I wouldn't be too angry if we took him at 18. He certainly isn't my first choice, but I think he will be a good pro. I also like that he can be effective pushing the pocket and therefore log some time on 3rd down as well.

If Cody were there at 52, I'd snap him up. I wouldn't touch the guy in the first round though. Cody is really strong and has very little stamina. As long as he shows no ability to control his weight, he is a huge risk.

I saw Troup play a few times this season. I think he has potential. He really looks like a NT. He is built low to the ground and thick. He is on the smaller side for a NT.

Cam Thomas has great size and natural strength. He flashed big time at the Senior Bowl. Unfortunately, he wasn't that great at UNC. The other DT Marvin Austin continually drew the double team. Still, Thomas was not a big factor in games. So, is he very talented, but held back by poor technique. Or, is he lazy?

Jay Ross has a bad body. His legs are too skinny and he looks top heavy. He is tough, but I don't think he is a natural NT. I watched him once this year and he ran pretty well, but didn't seem super strong at the POA. There is a poster on this board who is a ECU grad, and he didn't like Ross as a 3-4 NT either.

Boo Robinson (not Smith) now weighs 295 lbs because he suffered from chronic back pain at 325. We don't need a NT with a bad back.

If the Steelers do not draft Dan Williams with their first round pick and Terrence Cody is still available when we select in the 2nd round, I say you take the risk and pull the trigger on Mount Cody. The NT in our 3-4 scheme needs to be able to take on two blockers and keep them off the LBers, Cody can do that as well as any NT in the draft.

hawaiiansteel
02-03-2010, 12:30 AM

actually, I was referring to Boo Smith from Louisiana Tech, not Boo Robinson from Wake Forest. how two NTs in the same year got the same nickname of "Boo" is beyond me...

stlrz d
02-03-2010, 01:06 AM

I still hope the Steelers sign him. 1 - because we need him and 2 - because he doesn't slack in games and he will prove you wrong.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Fair? Fair isn't the question. Tag him...Who cares if he doesn't like it. The guy will make almost double his salary if he plays his tag out. The tag is fair...He is being paid as a top 5 player. I'm sure the Steelers will make him a "fair" offer. The problem will be the Steelers will being thinking a shorter term than Casey wants and less bonus. Tag him this year if he doesn't like the contract. He can't afford to play half a$$ on the tag at his age. Steelers will draft a DT in the first three rounds to replace him if needed. If the draft choice comes along...You let him walk in 2011. The burden is on Casey. There could be a labor stoppage in 2011 and then where is he at. What kind of contract does he think he will get for a 35 year old DT who weighs 360 pounds and was off of football for a year? The "smartest" thing for Casey to do is sign the 3 year deal the Steelers will put on the table. They will pay him an equal franchise number for 2010 and he will receive a signing bonus. He could have the security into 2012 which is best for him if there is a labor stoppage. If he plays the tag out and becomes an UFA in 2011 with no football...He will have trouble finding a better contract then what the Steelers offer him. Casey won't be on the treadmill all of 2011 so teams won't like what they see.

eniparadoxgma
02-03-2010, 12:36 PM
OK, I see Uniontown boy in the front seat, HHH in the back, and Ariens in there.

Thanks!

I believe the troll Harry Nutzsack is the other cartoon character w/Iggy Pop driving...or it's one the Red Hot Chili Peppers...not sure lol.

MeetJoeGreene
02-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Thanks!

I believe the troll Harry Nutzsack is the other cartoon character w/Iggy Pop driving...or it's one the Red Hot Chili Peppers...not sure lol.

I can't view the image at work. I have done a few short bus photoshops... I think the orignal photo had some freaky dude driving and I left it....

In another, I had Arians on it.

SteelCzar76
02-03-2010, 01:27 PM

I still hope the Steelers sign him. 1 - because we need him and 2 - because he doesn't slack in games and he will prove you wrong.

Exactly.

steelnavy
02-03-2010, 02:40 PM

Props to MJG I believe.

Thanks!

I believe that would be Harry Nutzack (next to HHH) from the old trib days.

NW Steeler
02-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Where's Crash??

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Where's Crash??

Perhaps it is implied...with that crew in there, the short bus is sure to "Crash" eventually.

TallyStiller
02-03-2010, 06:04 PM

The problem is that conditioning is a year round commitment, and as guys get older, it gets tougher. Even if he doesn't take plays off in games, he becomes an easy solo blocking assignment when he loses quickness because he's carrying too much weight. Frankly, prior to this season, I thought he had been coasting for a while on a reputation that outweighed his on - field performance. I'd love it if he proved me wrong and continued for another 5 or 6 years as a fixture on our D line while the team continued to play at a high level, but I think the down side risk is just too great, especially given the dollars he'll likely want.

The timing is awful, given that the rest of the team is built for another run, but I see a real possibility of a one year fix at nose tackle like when we got KVO after Joel Steed's knees gave out and before we drafted Casey. I simply don't see us being willing to give him the kind of money he's looking for.

TallyStiller
02-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Just a thought... if we're going to roll out big $$$ at a NT, how about poaching Vince Wilfork from the *****'s instead? He's Casey, only 5 years younger. The $6mil salary slot would already be there if Casey's in our plans - offer it to a guy in his prime instead of a guy nearing the end of his career, AND stick your finger in the Hoodie's eye, all at once... I like it.

hawaiiansteel
02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Just a thought... if we're going to roll out big $$$ at a NT, how about poaching Vince Wilfork from the *****'s instead? He's Casey, only 5 years younger. The $6mil salary slot would already be there if Casey's in our plans - offer it to a guy in his prime instead of a guy nearing the end of his career, AND stick your finger in the Hoodie's eye, all at once... I like it.

I read somewhere that Wilfork's asking price is $8 million/year. I would rather draft Dan Williams and use the $ we save on re-signing guys like Santonio, Mendenhall and Woodley.

feltdizz
02-03-2010, 06:59 PM

The problem is that conditioning is a year round commitment, and as guys get older, it gets tougher. Even if he doesn't take plays off in games, he becomes an easy solo blocking assignment when he loses quickness because he's carrying too much weight. Frankly, prior to this season, I thought he had been coasting for a while on a reputation that outweighed his on - field performance. I'd love it if he proved me wrong and continued for another 5 or 6 years as a fixture on our D line while the team continued to play at a high level, but I think the down side risk is just too great, especially given the dollars he'll likely want.

The timing is awful, given that the rest of the team is built for another run, but I see a real possibility of a one year fix at nose tackle like when we got KVO after Joel Steed's knees gave out and before we drafted Casey. I simply don't see us being willing to give him the kind of money he's looking for.

That makes zero sense.. who talks about the great off season conditioning of any NT?

We really need to stop with the weight issues of Casey. It's being used because there is no evidence on tape of Casey coming up short.

Casey has 5 pro bowls in 9 years.
I think you are asking for way too much... All I want is 3 more good years while we groom the next guy.

TallyStiller
02-03-2010, 09:00 PM
As to conditioning, maybe I put that wrong... I just keep having visions of Gilbert Brown eating his way out of the league dance through my head, and listening to Casey go on and on about how he wants paid while watching his performance nosedive in his previous several (non - contract) years, I fear the repercussions of paying him. He doesn't have to be Mr. Universe coming back, but he's not going to be effective if he shows up two biscuits short of 400, either... and he's already done that once. Hard choice to make, but if we don't franchise him, I'd rather see him walk...

I watched Greene, Lambert, LC and the gang stick around on the downside, and lived with the mediocrity that came with that. Don't regret those guys retiring Steelers, but this time it's different. We can win several more Super Bowls with Ben if we manage this right. Rather err on the side of letting a guy go with a good year or two left so that we can keep others than have a guy hang on skewing our payroll and not contributing.

Shawn
02-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Two biscuits short of 400. :lol:

Dee Dub
02-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Fair or not...I think a two down player who is on the decline and headed for the age of 33 and who also seems to get bigger every year is a player who can be replaced.

stlrz d
02-03-2010, 11:59 PM

I have yet to see that happen.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Unfair is what many in Haiti are experiencing....not what's happening with Fat Casey.