PDA

View Full Version : Looking at FA - Skill Positions

phillyesq
02-02-2010, 03:17 PM
From Dale Lolley's Blog:

http://www.observer-reporter.com/www/sidelines/index.html

Monday, February 01, 2010
Looking at free agent skill positions
As I do every offseason, I’ll take a look over the next few weeks at the Steelers’ potential free agents and possible veteran replacements or upgrades.

Keep in mind that the Steelers have never been major players on the free agent market. So no matter how much you want them to go out and sign say, Terrell Owens, it’s not going to happen.

This week, we’ll take a look at the skill positions, QB/WR/RB

Steelers potential losses
Charlie Batch, QB
Willie Parker, RB
Joey Galloway, WR
Carey Davis, FB

As you can see, there’s not a lot here – other than Parker – that cannot be replaced.

Galloway was a late-season replacement for Limas Sweed – more on him later – who never saw action in a game, while Batch made it through just a handful of plays before suffering a broken left wrist while replacing Ben Roethlisberger in an overtime loss at Kansas City. He was subsequently passed by Dennis Dixon as the team’s No. 2 quarterback.

The team thought so little of Davis, meanwhile, that he was released at the end of training camp, only to be re-signed later in the year.

Losing Parker will be a blow. And it’s almost guaranteed that Parker will not return. He told me after the team’s regular season finale at Miami that he still considers himself a starter and wants to go to a team that will give him that opportunity. It won’t happen in Pittsburgh, where Rashard Mendenhall has taken on that role.

The Steelers would like to have Parker return as a backup to Mendenhall, but realize that’s not likely and won’t make much of an effort to do so.

And they won’t go into next season with Mewelde Moore as the only backup to Mendenhall. That could mean that Isaac Redman or Frank Summers will get that opportunity. But the Steelers could also dip into the free agent market in an attempt to find a promising young back with low mileage as they did with Moore two years ago.

Complicating matter is the unsettled status of the collective bargaining agreement, which could take a number of unrestricted free agents and make them restricted.

Among players who could interest the Steelers who would revert to restricted status include Leon Washington of the Jets, John Kuhn of the Packers and Mike Bell of the Saints.

Former Seattle fullback Justin Griffith could be a possibility as a more dangerous version of Davis and tight end/fullback David Johnson. The Steelers like Johnson’s blocking and feel he’ll improve greatly in that role in his second season, but he’s not much of an offensive threat.

While Summers will again get the opportunity to compliment Johnson, the 6-0, 230-pound Griffith, who turns 30 in June, is an accomplished receiver out of the backfield in addition to being a capable – though not great – lead blocker. Griffith has 141 career receptions for 989 yards and 12 touchdowns.

At quarterback, the Steelers could bring Batch back for at least one more season. He’s well-liked in the locker room and helps mentor both Roethlisberger and Dixon.

The problem is that Dixon’s contract is up at the end of the 2010 season - though he will be an exclusive rights free agent, meaning the Steelers will be able to keep him. But we don’t know at this point what changes a new collective bargaining agreement will bring.

The Steelers may want to look for a little more long-term stability.

Though the team will likely sign at least one rookie free agent following the draft, a veteran such as Patrick Ramsey or Brian St. Pierre could be brought in to serve as a more long-term solution as a third quarterback.

Finally, the team expects Sweed to be back for a critical third season now that the “personal issues” he dealt with at the end of last season are behind him.

I know that many people are down on Sweed, but keep in mind that the third season is often a big one for wide receivers, particularly big ones who got by on their athletic talent and size in college.

Witness Sidney Rice’s explosion this season with the Vikings. Yes, Rice benefited from the addition of Brett Favre, but he was a player who struggled catching the ball in his first two seasons, hauling in just 46 passes in his first two seasons. People considered the former second-round pick a bust.

He caught 83 passes for more than 1,300 yards and eight touchdowns this season. I’m not suggesting that Sweed will catch 80 passes in 2010, but he will be given every chance to prove that he’s not a competent NFL wide receiver.

With Sweed, Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace and youngster Tyler Grisham returning, it’s unlikely the Steelers will sign a veteran wideout off the free agent market.

In the comments posted below, he said there is still no official word on what happened with Sweed.

As for the positions mentioned:

QB: I'd like to see Batch retained as 3rd QB for the vet minimum (or something near that level). Good mentor, and good to have a veteran with a young #2.

RB: If FWP is given a starting opportunity elsewhere and leaves, I think a mid-round pick at RB makes a lot of sense.

WR: Aside from a late draft pick, UDFA, or a McDonald type signing, I think the Steelers are fine here.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2010, 04:30 PM
we had John Kuhn once but let him go, same with St. Pierre.

would love to see a veteran RB addition and the use of a mid-round pick on a RB. i'm not sold on Frank Summers/Isaac Redman/Justin Vincent, let's add some competition there.

Limas Sweed is going to be a good 4th WR for us, wonder what his personal issues were?

steelblood
02-02-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't want Batch back. He is an average QB, but he is so easily injured that I don't think he is even worth vet minimum. I appreciate what he has done for the organization and the young QBs, but I think it is time to say goodbye.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2010, 06:43 PM
I don't want Batch back. He is an average QB, but he is so easily injured that I don't think he is even worth vet minimum. I appreciate what he has done for the organization and the young QBs, but I think it is time to say goodbye.

my sentiments also, let Dixon assume the #2 QB position and let's find a young guy with potential to groom as the 3rd QB.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-03-2010, 12:23 AM
How sad - Lolly seems pretty darn sure FWP is going. I like him a lot, he's got a good Steeler attitude, and is an excellent 2nd string RB, but I guess he has to follow his dream, snot-nosed b*strd that he is - sorry, didn't mean that last bit!

hawaiiansteel
02-03-2010, 12:32 AM
How sad - Lolly seems pretty darn sure FWP is going. I like him a lot, he's got a good Steeler attitude, and is an excellent 2nd string RB, but I guess he has to follow his dream, snot-nosed b*strd that he is - sorry, didn't mean that last bit!

FWP is going to be hard-pressed to find an NFL team where he can start.

NorthCoast
02-03-2010, 09:56 PM
....I know that many people are down on Sweed, but keep in mind that the third season is often a big one for wide receivers, particularly big ones who got by on their athletic talent and size in college....

This might be true....for a guy that actually played his first two years, but Sweed has had such limited action, he could be considered a red-shirt rookie in this third year. Hope the light will turn on for him, but the FO better have a back-up plan.

phillyesq
02-04-2010, 10:45 AM

I doubt somebody will give him a starting job, but I think he could probably find a team where he could at least get a time share role. If Julius Jones has a starting job in the NFL, I think Parker can find more work than he got last season.

frankthetank1
02-04-2010, 11:07 AM

I doubt somebody will give him a starting job, but I think he could probably find a team where he could at least get a time share role. If Julius Jones has a starting job in the NFL, I think Parker can find more work than he got last season.

thats a good point about jones. how he has held down a starting role for so long in the nfl is beyond me

frankthetank1
02-04-2010, 11:11 AM
i would love it if the steelers were interested in leon washington. not sure how much he would be asking for, but we definetly need a good #2 rb. isnt jerome harrison also a FA? i doubt he will command a big contract and he definetly has a lot of talent

ikestops85
02-04-2010, 12:04 PM
i would love it if the steelers were interested in leon washington. not sure how much he would be asking for, but we definetly need a good #2 rb. isnt jerome harrison also a FA? i doubt he will command a big contract and he definetly has a lot of talent

I think we already have a good #2 RB in Moore. Most of you seem to have forgotten what Moore did in 2008 when FWP and Mendy were hurt. The guy started and played great. He can run and catch but we have to utilize him. Moore is not a game breaker but he does everything well and will work out fine as a tandem back with Mendy.

If we get a back it should be a big guy that can help us out in short yardage and goal line situations. Otherwise we need to re-sign FWP.

frankthetank1
02-04-2010, 12:27 PM

I think we already have a good #2 RB in Moore. Most of you seem to have forgotten what Moore did in 2008 when FWP and Mendy were hurt. The guy started and played great. He can run and catch but we have to utilize him. Moore is not a game breaker but he does everything well and will work out fine as a tandem back with Mendy.

If we get a back it should be a big guy that can help us out in short yardage and goal line situations. Otherwise we need to re-sign FWP.

i like moore a lot, he is very capable. what if either moore or mendy get injured next season which probably will happen. we have nothing behind them except for redman who is unproven and justin vincent who i am suprised is still on the ps

phillyesq
02-04-2010, 12:46 PM

Moore did a nice job in 2008. He didn't seem quite as effective last year, but I like having a versatile, dependable veteran at the position. I don't think that somebody like Jerome Harrison or Leon Washington makes sense (I think both might be RFAs because of the lack of CBA, and both will want a lot of money).

In addition to Mendy and Moore, I'd like to see the Steelers add a mid-late round pick. Somebody who can develop into a compliment for Mendy, and play a few games as an injury replacement, if necessary.

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2010, 02:26 PM

thats a good point about jones. how he has held down a starting role for so long in the nfl is beyond me

Perhaps they saw his brother's career path, how he sucked in Arizona and Tampa, then emerged in Chicago, and then flourished in New York, and assume that Julius may have a similar late-blooming career path. Other than that, I got nothing...

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2010, 02:30 PM

Moore did a nice job in 2008. He didn't seem quite as effective last year, but I like having a versatile, dependable veteran at the position. I don't think that somebody like Jerome Harrison or Leon Washington makes sense (I think both might be RFAs because of the lack of CBA, and both will want a lot of money).

In addition to Mendy and Moore, I'd like to see the Steelers add a mid-late round pick. Somebody who can develop into a compliment for Mendy, and play a few games as an injury replacement, if necessary.

Correct. The only RB's scheduled to be unresticted free agents are Chester Taylor, Kevin Faulk, Tatum Bell, Larry Johnson, Willie Parker, Chris Brown, Ahman Green, and (the other) Adrian Peterson. The only unrestricted FB will be the 38 year old Tony Richardson.

Running Backs:

Darren Sproles (RFA), RB/KR/PR, Chargers. Age: 27.
Clifton Smith (ERFA), KR/PR, Buccaneers. Age: 25.
Jerome Harrison (RFA), RB, Browns. Age: 27.
Pierre Thomas (RFA), RB, Saints. Age: 25.
Leon Washington (RFA), RB/KR, Jets. Age: 28.
Chester Taylor, RB, Vikings. Age: 30.
Cadillac Williams (RFA), RB, Buccaneers. Age: 28.
Jason Snelling (RFA), RB, Falcons. Age: 26.
Jerious Norwood (RFA), RB, Falcons. Age: 27.
Kevin Faulk, RB, Patriots. Age: 34.
Mike Bell (RFA), RB, Saints. Age: 27.
LenDale White (RFA), RB, Titans. Age: 25.
Tatum Bell, RB, Broncos. Age: 29.
Ryan Moats (RFA), RB, Texans. Age: 27.
D.J. Ware (RFA), RB, Giants. Age: 25.
Larry Johnson, RB, Bengals. Age: 30.
Willie Parker, RB, Steelers. Age: 29.
Quinton Ganther (RFA), RB, Redskins. Age: 26.
Kenneth Darby (RFA), RB, Rams. Age: 27.
DeShawn Wynn (REFA), RB, Packers. Age: 26.
Cedric Peerman (RFA), RB, Lions. Age: 23.
Chris Brown, RB, Texans. Age: 29.
Ahman Green, RB, Packers. Age: 33.
Samkon Gado (RFA), RB, Rams. Age: 27.
Kolby Smith (ERFA), RB, Chiefs. Age: 25.
Adrian Peterson, RB, Bears. Age: 31.
Jackie Battle (ERFA), RB, Chiefs. Age: 26.
Thomas Clayton (ERFA), RB, 49ers. Age: 26.

Fullbacks:

Le'Ron McClain (RFA), FB, Ravens. Age: 25.
Leonard Weaver (RFA), FB, Eagles. Age: 27.
Tony Richardson, FB, Jets. Age: 38.
Naufahu Tahi (RFA), FB, Vikings. Age: 28.
Lawrence Vickers (RFA), FB, Browns. Age: 27.
Mike Tolbert (ERFA), FB, Chargers. Age: 24.
Mike Cox (ERFA), FB, Chiefs. Age: 25.
John Kuhn (RFA), FB, Packers. Age: 27.
Gary Russell (ERFA), FB, Raiders. Age: 23.
Luke Lawton (RFA), FB, Raiders. Age: 30.
Byron Storer (ERFA), FB, Buccaneers. Age: 26.
Justin Green (RFA), FB, Cardinals. Age: 28.
Carey Davis (RFA), FB, Steelers. Age: 29.

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2010, 02:42 PM

i like moore a lot, he is very capable. what if either moore or mendy get injured next season which probably will happen. we have nothing behind them except for redman who is unproven and justin vincent who i am suprised is still on the ps

don't forget about Frank "The Tank" Summers... :lol:

frankthetank1
02-04-2010, 02:45 PM

Correct. The only RB's scheduled to be unresticted free agents are Chester Taylor, Kevin Faulk, Tatum Bell, Larry Johnson, Willie Parker, Chris Brown, Ahman Green, and (the other) Adrian Peterson. The only unrestricted FB will be the 38 year old Tony Richardson.

Running Backs:

Fullbacks:

there is some pretty good hb's available that wouldnt cost all that much money. it kind of makes me change my stance on drafting c.j spiller. i didnt know pierre thomas was a FA or cadillac williams. even though williams is very injury prone i think he would be worth a look

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Running Backs:

Fullbacks:

there is some pretty good hb's available that wouldnt cost all that much money. it kind of makes me change my stance on drafting c.j spiller. i didnt know pierre thomas was a FA or cadillac williams. even though williams is very injury prone i think he would be worth a look

they are not really available, they are Restricted Free Agents.