PDA

View Full Version : Toby Gerhart: White Men Can't Jump....But Can They Run ?

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Toby Gerhart: White Men Can't Jump....But Can They Run ?
by Sean Neilon Contributor (Bleacher Report)

Toby Gerhart has been The University of Stanford’s standout running back for the past two college seasons (played four years total). Gerhart, finished his collegiate career with 3,522 yards rushing. This is second on Stanford’s all-time career rushing list. His 43 rushing touchdowns rate first all-time in the University of Stanford’s school history, and finished the 2009 season with 27 rushing TDs. He earned All- American honors and was named The PAC- 10 Offensive player of the year for 2009. Gerhart finished second in the balloting for the 2009 Heisman Trophy, 28 points behind the eventual winner Mark Ingram. The 28 point lose to Ingram was the closet Heisman race in its storied history.

Now on paper most teams would be thrilled at the prospect of drafting a player with such credentials as Gerhart's. However, there is a slight problem, he’s white. The fact is that not one running back that is starting in the NFL is white. In the last 25 years not one “white” running back has been drafted in the first round of the NFL draft, that has not been turned into a fullback once reaching the NFL level. The last white running back to be drafted in the first round was John Cappelletti, who played for Penn State. Drafted by the Rams with the 11th overall pick in the 1974 NFL Draft. Cappelletti had a less than impressive career, rushing for just 2,951 yards in nine seasons.

The stigma that has plagued the NFL for some time now is that white men cannot run. There have already been reporters and television personalities say that Gerhart will have to become an excellent blocker and role player to succeed in the NFL. This is shameful statements to say about a “running back” that is one of the best in college football. Of course, not many will say the reason for these kinds of comments (Gerhart being white), because of fear of reprisal that may come. It is reported by ESPN that Gerhart runs in the range of a 4.5 40 yard dash time, six feet one inch tall and at 235 pounds. If he were African-American, Gerhart would be labeled a dynamic power running back. However, put the “white” after his stats, speed and size; all of a sudden he becomes a short yardage back that can become a great run and pass blocker.

ESPN’s draft gurus Mel Kiper and Todd McShay have Gerhart going in the late 2nd, early 3rd round of the NFL Draft. However, they say whether he is drafted as a running back or full back depends on his 40 yard dash time that he will run at the NFL combine.

I have a feeling though, if he were to be African – American, being drafted as a FB would not be in the conversation. Don’t believe me? LeGarrette Blount, RB at the University of Oregon, is six-two, 246 pounds and is said to run a 4.5-4.6 forty yard dash (which is similar to Gerhart). Yet there has been no talk about him possibly being drafted as a fullback. The stereotypical double standard will be on full display during the 2010 NFL Draft, but shhh! Don’t say anything.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-02-2010, 01:28 AM

Toby Gerhart has been The University of Stanford’s standout running back for the past two college seasons (played four years total). Gerhart, finished his collegiate career with 3,522 yards rushing. This is second on Stanford’s all-time career rushing list. His 43 rushing touchdowns rate first all-time in the University of Stanford’s school history, and finished the 2009 season with 27 rushing TDs. He earned All- American honors and was named The PAC- 10 Offensive player of the year for 2009. Gerhart finished second in the balloting for the 2009 Heisman Trophy, 28 points behind the eventual winner Mark Ingram. The 28 point lose to Ingram was the closet Heisman race in its storied history.

Now on paper most teams would be thrilled at the prospect of drafting a player with such credentials as Gerhart's. However, there is a slight problem, he’s white. The fact is that not one running back that is starting in the NFL is white. In the last 25 years not one “white” running back has been drafted in the first round of the NFL draft, that has not been turned into a fullback once reaching the NFL level. The last white running back to be drafted in the first round was John Cappelletti, who played for Penn State. Drafted by the Rams with the 11th overall pick in the 1974 NFL Draft. Cappelletti had a less than impressive career, rushing for just 2,951 yards in nine seasons.

The stigma that has plagued the NFL for some time now is that white men cannot run. There have already been reporters and television personalities say that Gerhart will have to become an excellent blocker and role player to succeed in the NFL. This is shameful statements to say about a “running back” that is one of the best in college football. Of course, not many will say the reason for these kinds of comments (Gerhart being white), because of fear of reprisal that may come. It is reported by ESPN that Gerhart runs in the range of a 4.5 40 yard dash time, six feet one inch tall and at 235 pounds. If he were African-American, Gerhart would be labeled a dynamic power running back. However, put the “white” after his stats, speed and size; all of a sudden he becomes a short yardage back that can become a great run and pass blocker.

ESPN’s draft gurus Mel Kiper and Todd McShay have Gerhart going in the late 2nd, early 3rd round of the NFL Draft. However, they say whether he is drafted as a running back or full back depends on his 40 yard dash time that he will run at the NFL combine.

I have a feeling though, if he were to be African – American, being drafted as a FB would not be in the conversation. Don’t believe me? LeGarrette Blount, RB at the University of Oregon, is six-two, 246 pounds and is said to run a 4.5-4.6 forty yard dash (which is similar to Gerhart). Yet there has been no talk about him possibly being drafted as a fullback. The stereotypical double standard will be on full display during the 2010 NFL Draft, but shhh! Don’t say anything.

That's pretty interesting. I never actually thought about it, that none of the starting (or backup?) RBs were white. Now I have to think about it - what about wide receivers? Or starting CBs/safeties?

I wonder if we should look at him? Can he play center?

Shawn
02-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Gerhart will fall not because he is white...he won't be drafted until 3-5 range because he lacks lateral movement. I don't believe he is a prime time back. I do believe he could make an impact at FB however....though he would have to improve some at blocking. Him being white never crossed my mind. I just watched him run. He isn't quick, doesn't really have an elusiveness and despite his 40 time doesn't play fast enough to turn the corner at the next level. Instead of turning it into a racial issue...lets call this what it is...a power back with a very limited skill set who could be turned into a great full back.

steelernation77
02-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Shonn Greene put up better numbers last year than any of the top RBs in the NCAA this year and was considered a 2-3 round pick because scouts didn't believe he had top end speed. He's black.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2010, 02:57 AM
Shonn Greene put up better numbers last year than any of the top RBs in the NCAA this year and was considered a 2-3 round pick because scouts didn't believe he had top end speed. He's black.

Shonn Greene is also under 6' tall, short guys without top end speed don't usually get drafted too high no matter what color they are.

Obviously, a lot of teams have been proven wrong for not selecting Greene earlier than where he went to the Jets, he is definitely a stud.

MeetJoeGreene
02-02-2010, 12:31 PM
The last white running back to be drafted in the first round was John Cappelletti, who played for Penn State.

WE ARE!!!!

ANPSTEEL
02-02-2010, 12:38 PM
The last white running back to be drafted in the first round was John Cappelletti, who played for Penn State.

WE ARE!!!!

N. A. ??

:D

Mister Pittsburgh
02-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Let's please not sit here and act like discrimination towards whites doesn't happen in all facets of life.

RuthlessBurgher
02-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Let's please not sit here and act like discrimination towards whites doesn't happen in all facets of life.

Oh, Jeez...let's not go here on a Steeler message board.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Oh, Jeez...let's not go here on a Steeler message board.

Sorry....the article led me down a dark and eerie path......thanks for the flashlight. I will return to my usual business now.

Lebsteel
02-02-2010, 03:15 PM

WE ARE!!!!

PENN STATE!!! Draft Jared Odrick, Navarro Bowman and Sean Lee as our 1,2,3 and the Steelers will return to the Super Bowl in 2011!!

Oh.....sorry.....I'll stop drinking the Nittany Lion Kool-Aid and go back to work. :lol:

steelernation77
02-02-2010, 04:57 PM

Shonn Greene is also under 6' tall, short guys without top end speed don't usually get drafted too high no matter what color they are.

Obviously, a lot of teams have been proven wrong for not selecting Greene earlier than where he went to the Jets, he is definitely a stud.

Height is usually viewed as a liability for a RB rather than a plus. An ideal back is between 5'10" and 6'1"

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2010, 05:23 PM

Height is usually viewed as a liability for a RB rather than a plus. An ideal back is between 5'10" and 6'1"

very true. i guess what i was trying to say is that if you don't possess top-end speed you better be big, something Shonn Greene is not. but one thing that all the scouts have still not figured out how to measure is the size of a player's heart.

Chadman
02-02-2010, 05:57 PM

That's pretty interesting. I never actually thought about it, that none of the starting (or backup?) RBs were white. Now I have to think about it - what about wide receivers? Or starting CBs/safeties?

I wonder if we should look at him? Can he play center?

Last 'white' CB Chadman remembers was Jason Sehorn. WR's are a bit more bountiful- Joe Jeruv(something or other), Brian Finneran, Wes Welker....at least there are some...Wayne Chrebet...

What about that RB the Bengals drafted that nearly every Steeler fan wanted...what was his name again...Brian Leonard...is he a RB or FB?
Mike Alstott wasn't exactly a pure FB either.

Gerhart kind reminds Chadman of Alstott. If the Steelers could find a way to get him in the draft, Chadman would be very happy.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2010, 06:04 PM
White receivers in NFL becoming scarce
BY DYLAN B. TOMLINSON • GANNETT WISCONSIN NEWSPAPERS • FEBRUARY 2, 2010

Marc Boerigter knows he is not like the others.

Boerigter would like to be viewed the same way as the other 11 receivers on the Green Bay Packers training camp roster. He would love to be seen as just another player battling for a roster spot.

But Boerigter is different. He stands out among the other receivers for an obvious reason.

"Why?" Boerigter said with a nervous laugh. "Because I'm white?"

Yes, Boerigter is white. The Packers' other 11 receivers are black. Like anyone else, Boerigter would prefer not to be noticed because of his race. He would rather people identify him with his accomplishments on the field, rather than the color of his skin.

In the NFL, white wide receivers stand out because there are so few of them.

If Boerigter makes the Packers' roster this season, it will be the first time the team has had a white receiver since 2001.

It was five years ago that Bill Schroeder led the Packers with 918 yards and nine touchdowns in 2001. Since then, Brett Favre has completed 1,367 passes, but none of them were to a white wide receiver.

"We're a minority," Schroeder said. "In many ways being a white receiver is kind of like being an African-American golfer. I don't know why it's like that, but that's just the way it is."

Part of the reason is the NFL has fewer white players than ever. Just 25 years ago, 70 percent of the NFL was white. Now, it's 30 percent.

"The league has changed," NFL analyst and former Cincinnati Bengals receiver Cris Collinsworth said on NFL.com. "It's difficult to compare anything now in the NFL to what it was like 25 years ago."

In 1981, Collinsworth was one of four white receivers to play in the Pro Bowl. He joined San Francisco's Dwight Clark, Denver's Steve Watson and Seattle's Steve Largent.

In the past decade, Denver's Ed McCaffrey is the only white receiver to be selected to the Pro Bowl. McCaffrey made it in 1998 and 1999, but in the last six seasons, no white receiver has been selected.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-02-2010, 06:17 PM
The only color favored by NFL teams is GREEN.

If the player is good enough, someone will figure that out, and he'll get a chance. It might take him a bit longer at the beginning, but if he's that outstanding, and can help a team win, they will get him on the field, whether his skin is black, white, brown, yellow, pink, or purple.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2010, 07:03 PM

If the player is good enough, someone will figure that out, and he'll get a chance. It might take him a bit longer at the beginning, but if he's that outstanding, and can help a team win, they will get him on the field, whether his skin is black, white, brown, yellow, pink, or purple.

i don't know, i think the NFL is prejudiced against purple guys...i have yet to see one in the league... :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
02-02-2010, 07:30 PM

i don't know, i think the NFL is prejudiced against purple guys...i have yet to see one in the league... :lol:

C'mon now...Charlie Weis just came back to the NFL!

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/charlie-grimace.jpg

:lol:

steelblood
02-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Seriously? With all the white fans and owners, teams would welcome a white starting RB if one were talented enough to be successful.

That author is a complete moron.

D Rock
02-02-2010, 07:45 PM

WE ARE!!!!

N. A. ??

:D

I'm torn. I never know which way to go with this chant.

NA. Penn State.

I guess I win either way. :D

steelz09
02-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Very good, and honest article really..

Now they should write a follow-up on why African American quarterbacks don't have a very good track record at all in the NFL?

Or could they write such an article without being labeled a "racist"?

Just ... :stirpot

Mister Pittsburgh
02-02-2010, 09:49 PM

Boerigter would like to be viewed the same way as the other 11 receivers on the Green Bay Packers training camp roster. He would love to be seen as just another player battling for a roster spot.

But Boerigter is different. He stands out among the other receivers for an obvious reason.

Yes, Boerigter is white. The Packers' other 11 receivers are black. Like anyone else, Boerigter would prefer not to be noticed because of his race. He would rather people identify him with his accomplishments on the field, rather than the color of his skin.

If Boerigter makes the Packers' roster this season, it will be the first time the team has had a white receiver since 2001.

It was five years ago that Bill Schroeder led the Packers with 918 yards and nine touchdowns in 2001. Since then, Brett Favre has completed 1,367 passes, but none of them were to a white wide receiver.

"We're a minority," Schroeder said. "In many ways being a white receiver is kind of like being an African-American golfer. I don't know why it's like that, but that's just the way it is."

Part of the reason is the NFL has fewer white players than ever. Just 25 years ago, 70 percent of the NFL was white. Now, it's 30 percent.

"The league has changed," NFL analyst and former Cincinnati Bengals receiver Cris Collinsworth said on NFL.com. "It's difficult to compare anything now in the NFL to what it was like 25 years ago."

In 1981, Collinsworth was one of four white receivers to play in the Pro Bowl. He joined San Francisco's Dwight Clark, Denver's Steve Watson and Seattle's Steve Largent.

In the past decade, Denver's Ed McCaffrey is the only white receiver to be selected to the Pro Bowl. McCaffrey made it in 1998 and 1999, but in the last six seasons, no white receiver has been selected.

Since when did Jordy Nelson turn black? Is he the lightest skinned black dude ever or has he been hitting the tanning bed heavily?

D Rock
02-02-2010, 09:52 PM

Since when did Jordy Nelson turn black? Is he the lightest skinned black dude ever or has he been hitting the tanning bed heavily?

it's confusing with the date posted on that, but the article is definitely from 2006.

feltdizz
02-03-2010, 01:51 AM

Now they should write a follow-up on why African American quarterbacks don't have a very good track record at all in the NFL?

the sample size for black QB's is much smaller. They win just as much as white QB's. For every Manning and Tom Brady there is a Brady Quinn and JP Losman.

It football and if you can play, you will play.

hawaiiansteel
02-03-2010, 01:56 AM

C'mon now...Charlie Weis just came back to the NFL!

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/charlie-grimace.jpg

Obviously I must be prejudiced against Charlie Weis, I don't like him no matter what color he is... :lol:

SteelTorch
02-03-2010, 02:45 AM

You mean black quarterbacks? :P

feltdizz
02-03-2010, 01:52 PM

You giggled like the Pillsbury dough boy when you typed that didn't you?

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Don't you mean the Pillsbury Complex Carbohydrate Boy? :nono :P

SteelTorch
02-03-2010, 02:56 PM

feltdizz
02-03-2010, 06:50 PM

no.

Shawn
02-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Dizz you obviously don't place a high priority on political correctness. :lol:

feltdizz
02-03-2010, 07:05 PM

I think it's possible to be blunt without being offensive.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-04-2010, 11:46 PM

no.

I think it's possible to be blunt without being offensive.

Apparently blunt, AND terse and pithy! :tt2 :tt1 :P