PDA

View Full Version : Either change the defensive scheme or: 1st pick=Troys repla

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-01-2010, 02:38 PM
...ment.

We sucked without Troy this year. Unless something changes, that means next year we're one injury/play away from sucking as well. I'm not a draftnik, and didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express, but this seems like the most obvious statement concerning our playoff possibilities next year - fix what was wrong when Troy went out.

Dumb idea?

ANPSTEEL
02-01-2010, 02:51 PM
I get your point, but

who are you going to draft to replace Troy... no matter where you pick??

You might as well say- you know what... after watching the secondary's failing this past season... I think they should finally draft someone to replace Rod Woodson.

RuthlessBurgher
02-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I get your point, but

Clone him now. Draft Troy 2.0 in the early 2030's. :mrgreen:

Oviedo
02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
...ment.

We sucked without Troy this year. Unless something changes, that means next year we're one injury/play away from sucking as well. I'm not a draftnik, and didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express, but this seems like the most obvious statement concerning our playoff possibilities next year - fix what was wrong when Troy went out.

Dumb idea?

Don't sweat it. Aaron and Troy will be back and everything will be fine on the defensive side of the ball. No need to critically evaluate the defensive scheme with an open mind. St. LeBeau has it all figured out.

No problems. If Troy gets hurt again, LeBeau will just make the adjustments he did this season :shock:

ANPSTEEL
02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
I get your point, but

done

RuthlessBurgher
02-01-2010, 03:37 PM
I get your point, but

done

Wow...that was quick. I guess it was easy obtaining a hair sample to get his DNA. :lol:

birtikidis
02-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I Don't think it's a bad idea to draft troy's replacement now. hell they can play together for the next 4-5 years and we can have a great secondary. not a bad idea at all.

Shawn
02-01-2010, 06:19 PM
I get your point, but

You might as well say- you know what... after watching the secondary's failing this past season... I think they should finally draft someone to replace Rod Woodson.

Thomas doesn't have Troy ability but he would make a dayum good replacement. He can play SS or FS. Even if we sign Clark...we have our safeties locked up tight injury or no injury.

steelblood
02-01-2010, 06:29 PM
...ment.

Dumb idea?

Don't sweat it. Aaron and Troy will be back and everything will be fine on the defensive side of the ball. No need to critically evaluate the defensive scheme with an open mind. St. LeBeau has it all figured out.

No problems. If Troy gets hurt again, LeBeau will just make the adjustments he did this season :shock:

Dude, don't contribute to the suicide rate in Steeler Nation.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-02-2010, 10:05 AM
I've got news for you...just having Troy, or a player just like him, back in the lineup is NOT going to cure all of the ills on this defense (not that it would be a bad idea to have another safety of his caliber to step in). There are needs at CB, ILB, and on the DL as well. How about fixing some of those needs, too?

MaxAMillion
02-02-2010, 10:24 AM
The Steelers kno they need safety help. I expect them to draft one within the first three rounds (my choice is Chad Jones in round two). The Steelers have other needs as well. They need to draft an OL, ILB, and draft someone to groom for NT. I am not quite as concerned about corner because they drafted two corners last year. The Steelers also need to add a RB (but that can be done later in the draft).

This is an important draft because the Steelers need to get younger. They can no longer assume that guys like Smith and Troy P will be able to play a full season. They need to draft well this year and they need some of their draft choices from last year to start to make contributions.

phillyesq
02-02-2010, 11:39 AM
The Steelers should absolutely invest in the safety position this year. This draft looks to be deep at safety, and whether or not Clark returns, the Steelers need to add another safety.

The new safety will not replace Troy, and there is no need to draft his replacement. The Steelers should draft a safety that can compliment Troy and/or play competently in his absence, but I think it is unrealistic to find somebody who will replace what Troy brings to the D.

Oviedo
02-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I've got news for you...just having Troy, or a player just like him, back in the lineup is NOT going to cure all of the ills on this defense (not that it would be a bad idea to have another safety of his caliber to step in). There are needs at CB, ILB, and on the DL as well. How about fixing some of those needs, too?

Exactly!!!!!!

I keep asking the question, what will LeBeau do differently in 2010? IMO nothing!!!! He is too committed to "his" defense and "his" way. He had over half a season to make adjustments to a glaring problem on the defense and he had no answers at all. Thinking he is going to figure it out in the off season is just wishing and hoping.

The problem is with the scheme and the fact that opponents have figured it out. They have figured out they can get away with holding Harrison and Woodley to slow down the pass rush which is essential to making LeBeau's scheme work. There is little pressure from the DL because the scheme requires them to tie up the OL and play run first versus penetrating and attacking. That allows opposing QBs to exploit the 10 yard cushions the CB give other the teams WRs.

LeBeau did nothing to fix that schematically in 2009. What makes you think he will in 2010?

ANPSTEEL
02-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Exactly!!!!!!

I keep asking the question, what will LeBeau do differently in 2010? IMO nothing!!!! He is too committed to "his" defense and "his" way. He had over half a season to make adjustments to a glaring problem on the defense and he had no answers at all. Thinking he is going to figure it out in the off season is just wishing and hoping.

The problem is with the scheme and the fact that opponents have figured it out. They have figured out they can get away with holding Harrison and Woodley to slow down the pass rush which is essential to making LeBeau's scheme work. There is little pressure from the DL because the scheme requires them to tie up the OL and play run first versus penetrating and attacking. That allows opposing QBs to exploit the 10 yard cushions the CB give other the teams WRs.

LeBeau did nothing to fix that schematically in 2009. What makes you think he will in 2010?

I think you guys are mixing up two very different issues.

1. This issue with changing scheme or replacing Troy.
This scheme is, in large part, based upon Troy's unique abilities, and thus- when he is not on the field- you see a very large drop off in defensive production.
This is again, not just scheme, but the lack of his speed, intelligence, and awareness on the field. IMO, Troy can not be replaced. You can draft someone to play his position, but I do not think there is another player in the league that can do what Troy does, at the level he does it.

2. The LeBeau cushion exists entirely because of the weakness existing in the Steeler's secondary.
When the corner is playing 7 - 10 yards off the LOS, it tells you the team does not believe in that players ability to cover short, and still protect the deep ball.
When the corner is playing 10+ yards off the LOS, it tells you the team, not only doesn't trust the corner- but they have no faith in the Safety playing over top.

This past season- without Troy, I repeatedly watched the Steeler corners line up 10+ plus yards off the LOS. Most specifically- against the Ravens in Baltimore.

So- it isn't the "scheme" per se, it is the players within it, or in this case, the lack of players within it.

bad word doesn't run soft zone/man coverages because he wants to- he runs them because he has to.

If Troy had played all season- we would not have seen so many of the glaring weaknesses, because his abilities cover them up.

If the Steelers had corners with the ability of Green Bay- you would not have seen these issues.

Anyway- my point is:

It is not the scheme- and you can not replace Troy.

Oviedo
02-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Exactly!!!!!!

I think you guys are mixing up two very different issues.

1. This issue with changing scheme or replacing Troy.
This scheme is, in large part, based upon Troy's unique abilities, and thus- when he is not on the field- you see a very large drop off in defensive production.
This is again, not just scheme, but the lack of his speed, intelligence, and awareness on the field. IMO, Troy can not be replaced. You can draft someone to play his position, but I do not think there is another player in the league that can do what Troy does, at the level he does it.

2. The LeBeau cushion exists entirely because of the weakness existing in the Steeler's secondary.
When the corner is playing 7 - 10 yards off the LOS, it tells you the team does not believe in that players ability to cover short, and still protect the deep ball.
When the corner is playing 10+ yards off the LOS, it tells you the team, not only doesn't trust the corner- but they have no faith in the Safety playing over top.

This past season- without Troy, I repeatedly watched the Steeler corners line up 10+ plus yards off the LOS. Most specifically- against the Ravens in Baltimore.

So- it isn't the "scheme" per se, it is the players within it, or in this case, the lack of players within it.

bad word doesn't run soft zone/man coverages because he wants to- he runs them because he has to.

If Troy had played all season- we would not have seen so many of the glaring weaknesses, because his abilities cover them up.

If the Steelers had corners with the ability of Green Bay- you would not have seen these issues.

Anyway- my point is:

It is not the scheme- and you can not replace Troy.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The 8-10 yard cushion has been there for several years regardless of who was playing DB or whether Troy was there or not.

LeBeau better figure out how to play without Troy because it is unlikely he makes it through any season without missing time because of his style of play. Those are the adjustments he gets paid to make and didn't.

ANPSTEEL
02-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Sorry, but I have to disagree. The 8-10 yard cushion has been there for several years regardless of who was playing DB or whether Troy was there or not.

Exactly.

Think of who the Steelers have had as CBs, during DL's time with the Steelers.

phillyesq
02-02-2010, 02:02 PM

Exactly!!!!!!

First, were you complaining about the scheme in 2008? it seemed to work out fine then.

In 2009, what exactly was DL supposed to do? Willie Gay would routinely get roasted with a 8-10 yard cushion. Having him play press coverage would make things worse, not better.

The Steelers were second in the league in sacks -- one behind the Vikings. Woodley and Harrison combined for 23.5 of those sacks. How many duos did better?

If you want to look at a problem with the Steelers D, they were 25th in pass breakups in 2009. In 2008, they were 4th. To me, that indicates issues with personnel, not the scheme. The Steelers need more talent in the secondary, plain and simple.

ikestops85
02-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Exactly!!!!!!

First, were you complaining about the scheme in 2008? it seemed to work out fine then.

In 2009, what exactly was DL supposed to do? Willie Gay would routinely get roasted with a 8-10 yard cushion. Having him play press coverage would make things worse, not better.

The Steelers were second in the league in sacks -- one behind the Vikings. Woodley and Harrison combined for 23.5 of those sacks. How many duos did better?

If you want to look at a problem with the Steelers D, they were 25th in pass breakups in 2009. In 2008, they were 4th. To me, that indicates issues with personnel, not the scheme. The Steelers need more talent in the secondary, plain and simple.

I pretty much agree with Philly but I'll go one step further. The DBs seem to lose confidence in their ability to cover last year. They developed a memory which is never good for a defensive back. If you remember Ike suffered from this back in 2006 and was benched by Cowher.

So while I don't think the DBs were ever considered overly talented I think their talent level is about average for the NFL. Their confidence is something that Tomlin and LeBeau are going to have to amp up. They are the coaches and that is their job. Last year they weren't able to do it but hopefully they can during the off-season.

papillon
02-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Draft Earl Thomas at 1.18 and let him learn for a year behind Troy and Ryan; if Ryan doesn't stay then throw him in and let him learn on the job with Troy.

Draft the Snack's replacement in round two and be sure to get him some snaps this year.

Draft an ILB in the third round for depth, then after that grab some real projects in rounds 4-7.

This is one draft that the Steelers may need to hit on more than their first round pick to stay competitive into the future.

Pappy

Oviedo
02-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Draft Earl Thomas at 1.18 and let him learn for a year behind Troy and Ryan; if Ryan doesn't stay then throw him in and let him learn on the job with Troy.

Draft the Snack's replacement in round two and be sure to get him some snaps this year.

Draft an ILB in the third round for depth, then after that grab some real projects in rounds 4-7.

This is one draft that the Steelers may need to hit on more than their first round pick to stay competitive into the future.

Pappy

Drafting Thomas will guarantee you get a year to learn behind Troy and Clark (if you keep Clark) because he won't be allowed to play.

papillon
02-02-2010, 03:55 PM

Pappy

Drafting Thomas will guarantee you get a year to learn behind Troy and Clark (if you keep Clark) because he won't be allowed to play.

I don't beleive Clark will be a Steeler next year. They aren't franchising him and, unless, he's willing to sign on the cheap I just don't see it happening. If if he did stay, I'd rather have a young inexperienced athlete to fill in for Troy should he get injured again, than an experienced old and slow Tyrone Carter.

The defense needs to be energized with youth and safety is as good a place as any to start.

Pappy

Oviedo
02-02-2010, 04:16 PM

Pappy

I don't beleive Clark will be a Steeler next year. They aren't franchising him and, unless, he's willing to sign on the cheap I just don't see it happening. If if he did stay, I'd rather have a young inexperienced athlete to fill in for Troy should he get injured again, than an experienced old and slow Tyrone Carter.

The defense needs to be energized with youth and safety is as good a place as any to start.

Pappy

Thomas unlikely could fill in for Troy. He doesn't have that kind of size and has been criticized as needing to improve on his tackling which would make him suspect as a strong safety. He is probably exclusively a free safety.

However, if your primary concern is looking for depth at strong safety in case Troy gets hurt you can get those guys in Round 1 with Taylor Mays or in Rounds 3-6 with guys like Kam Chancellor (VaTech), Barry Church (Toledo) and Kurt Coleman (Ohio State).

Personally, I'd like to see what Keenan Lewis or Joe Burnett could do at free safety.

Safety rankings after Senior Bowl:

1. Eric Berry Tennessee Top 10 pick*
2. Earl Thomas Texas Top 32 pick*
3. Taylor Mays USC Top 25 pick
4. Morgan Burnett Georgia Tech Mid 2nd-Early 3rd*
5. Nate Allen South Florida Late 2nd-Mid 3rd
6. Chad Jones LSU Mid 2nd-Early 3rd*
7. Larry Asante Nebraska Early 3rd-Early 4th
8. Darrell Stuckey Kansas Mid 3rd-Late 4th
9. Myron Rolle Florida State Late 3rd-Late 5th
10. Reshad Jones Georgia Late 3rd-Early 5th*
11. Major Wright Florida Early 4th-Mid 5th*
12. T.J. Ward Oregon Early 5th-7th Round
13. Kam Chancellor Virginia Tech Late 4th-7th Round (OLB)
14. Kurt Coleman Ohio State Mid 5th-7th Round
15. Barry Church Toledo 6th Round-UDFA

papillon
02-03-2010, 01:06 AM

Pappy

Pappy

Thomas unlikely could fill in for Troy. He doesn't have that kind of size and has been criticized as needing to improve on his tackling which would make him suspect as a strong safety. He is probably exclusively a free safety.

However, if your primary concern is looking for depth at strong safety in case Troy gets hurt you can get those guys in Round 1 with Taylor Mays or in Rounds 3-6 with guys like Kam Chancellor (VaTech), Barry Church (Toledo) and Kurt Coleman (Ohio State).

Personally, I'd like to see what Keenan Lewis or Joe Burnett could do at free safety.

Safety rankings after Senior Bowl:

1. Eric Berry Tennessee Top 10 pick*
2. Earl Thomas Texas Top 32 pick*
3. Taylor Mays USC Top 25 pick
4. Morgan Burnett Georgia Tech Mid 2nd-Early 3rd*
5. Nate Allen South Florida Late 2nd-Mid 3rd
6. Chad Jones LSU Mid 2nd-Early 3rd*
7. Larry Asante Nebraska Early 3rd-Early 4th
8. Darrell Stuckey Kansas Mid 3rd-Late 4th
9. Myron Rolle Florida State Late 3rd-Late 5th
10. Reshad Jones Georgia Late 3rd-Early 5th*
11. Major Wright Florida Early 4th-Mid 5th*
12. T.J. Ward Oregon Early 5th-7th Round
13. Kam Chancellor Virginia Tech Late 4th-7th Round (OLB)
14. Kurt Coleman Ohio State Mid 5th-7th Round
15. Barry Church Toledo 6th Round-UDFA

As always I make no claim of knowing what type of player Thomas is or will be. Everything I've heard about him says he can play both positions. I've seen him play one game (can't remember which, it was late in the season though) and he had an INT, a couple tackles for no gain or loss and a couple passes defensed as a free safety. He was around the ball a lot and seemed to be able to read the quarterback and make plays. That's only one game and means nothing.

My reason for drafting him isn't to sit behind Troy, it's to replace Clark. The fact that he can fill in for an injured Troy is a bonus.

Pappy

Slapstick
02-03-2010, 03:38 AM
If the Steelers do not address FS until the second or third day, I wouldn't be shocked to see Myron Rolle's name called...

The Steelers seem to like brainy players at FS, for the most part...

I can't speak of Clark's academic background, but Mundy earned the Academic Athletic Achievement award at Michigan before becoming a one-year starter in grad school in WVU's 3-3-5 defense. Chris Hope was bright enough to earn a post-graduate academic scholarship from the NCAA. Brent Alexander went to college on an academic scholarship, not an athletic scholarship....

Rolle is one player that you can refer to as a Rhodes Scholar without being facetious...

Shawn
02-03-2010, 05:14 AM
I had the chance to see alot of Coleman at OSU. Yes...Im a homer but the guy has skills. He won't measure well but is football savy...nose for making plays and would make terrific depth in the later rounds.

Oviedo
02-03-2010, 09:09 AM
If the Steelers do not address FS until the second or third day, I wouldn't be shocked to see Myron Rolle's name called...

I can't speak of Clark's academic background, but Mundy earned the Academic Athletic Achievement award at Michigan before becoming a one-year starter in grad school in WVU's 3-3-5 defense. Chris Hope was bright enough to earn a post-graduate academic scholarship from the NCAA. Brent Alexander went to college on an academic scholarship, not an athletic scholarship....

Rolle is one player that you can refer to as a Rhodes Scholar without being facetious...

Rolle's 40 time at the combine and his Pro Day will be critical. I have read in other places that he projects to a 4.7sec 40 which is LB speed. If he runs between a 4.6 and 4.7 I could see him being a very late round pick or even a UDFA no matter how smart he is.

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2010, 10:38 AM

I think Rolle is more of a strong safety than a free safety.

I think we may draft a free safety relatively early either as a replacement for, or a back to, Ryan Clark.

But that doesn't mean that we can't spend a mid-round pick on someone like Rolle as well to back up Troy.

Since Ty Carter will not likely be back, we may lose Ryan Clark to free agency, and Ryan Mundy is nothing special, we could easily draft two safeties in this draft.

Slapstick
02-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Rolle's 40 time at the combine and his Pro Day will be critical. I have read in other places that he projects to a 4.7sec 40 which is LB speed. If he runs between a 4.6 and 4.7 I could see him being a very late round pick or even a UDFA no matter how smart he is.

Personally, I think 40 times are way overblown...

What was Hines Ward's 40 time?

How about Pierre Garcon? His 40 time got him all the way to Mount Union College...

Darren Perry was FAR from the fastest DB when the Steelers drafted him...

SteelCzar76
02-03-2010, 01:51 PM
And what exactly would we change our scheme to ? Perhaps a pale imitation of the Bucs under Tony Dungy's Tampa 2,....except with far less talented personnel acquired via ridiculous Draft classes ?

Knock it off,....

birtikidis
02-03-2010, 02:32 PM

How about Pierre Garcon? His 40 time got him all the way to Mount Union College...

they interviewed one of the players (I believe it was garcon or the safety for the saints can't remember which) and he said that the reason that he didn't end up at a bigger school was because he didn't know what day was national signing day and missed it. he was going to go to FSU.
dumba$$. how do you miss signing day?

birtikidis
02-03-2010, 02:33 PM
by the way if we can't get E. Thomas in the first I wouldn't mind Major Wright in the 3rd or myrone rolle in the 4/5 rd.

cruzer8
02-03-2010, 02:58 PM
I would like to see how Mundy would perform with a healthy Troy on the field with him.

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2010, 03:04 PM

they interviewed one of the players (I believe it was garcon or the safety for the saints can't remember which) and he said that the reason that he didn't end up at a bigger school was because he didn't know what day was national signing day and missed it. he was going to go to FSU.

Psst....to all you H.S. football studs that may have forgotten when signing day is...IT'S TODAY!!! Sign on the dotted line now, brother! Or else end up at Mount Union instead of Florida State. :wink:

Speaking of signing day, did anyone notice that Penn State signed Tom Ricketts' kid? (He is also an o-lineman named Tom Ricketts).

birtikidis
02-03-2010, 03:12 PM
I just turned the tv on. any surprises today?

SteelCzar76
02-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I would like to see how Mundy would perform with a healthy Troy on the field with him.

I'd like to see us Draft Taylor, Troy take his fellow Trojan (Taylor) under his wing during the season and offseason, and they form THE best Safety tandem in the league with Mundy as a decent backup. Something like the days when we had more than one elite impact stud DB on the field in one secondary. (ie: Rod and Carnell)

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2010, 03:37 PM

I'd like to see us Draft Taylor, Troy take his fellow Trojan (Taylor) under his wing during the season and offseason, and they form THE best Safety tandem in the league with Mundy as a decent backup. Something like the days when we had more than one elite impact stud DB on the field in one secondary. (ie: Rod and Carnell)

Or you could just draft Earl Thomas to play FS next to Troy, since he can, you know, actually cover people and make plays on the ball.

Iron Shiek
02-03-2010, 03:48 PM

Psst....to all you H.S. football studs that may have forgotten when signing day is...IT'S TODAY!!! Sign on the dotted line now, brother! Or else end up at Mount Union instead of Florida State. :wink:

Speaking of signing day, did anyone notice that Penn State signed Tom Ricketts' kid? (He is also an o-lineman named Tom Ricketts).

I read that a couple guys aren't even going to announce where they are going today. So I'm not really sure how it works, but do they HAVE to declare and sign today? Or was Garcon/Saints player you mentioned a case where FSU used up all their Scholarships and couldn't really offer him a spot. :?: