PDA

View Full Version : Draftniks: What about these guys for NT?

stlrz d
01-30-2010, 07:09 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=DT (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=72899&draftyear=2010&genpos=DT)

Tennessee's Dan Williams has the wide, lower body that defensive line coaches are looking for in a potential nose tackle. His great strength and 6-2, 329-pound frame may not have earned the hype of Alabama's “Mount” Cody, but he's the more consistent player.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=DT (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=75016&draftyear=2010&genpos=DT)

Defensive tackle Cam Thomas (North Carolina) carried his 331 pounds well, although he did measure at a shade under 6-4. His strength at the point of attack stood out, as did that of Purdue's Mike Neal, who earned a late invite here with a good week at the East-West Shrine Game.

Discuss....

steelernation77
01-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Dan Williams is having a good game in the Senior Bowl after a solid week of practice. He has done a great job of clogging the middle and looks like a legit NT.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Williams would be a nice addition to our DL.

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2010, 08:37 PM
I thought Dan Williams was outstanding in today's Senior Bowl, in one series he knocked down a pass and then properly read a screen pass and covered the RB forcing the QB to throw it away. He looks extremely quick and is very active on every play.

If Casey Hampton proves impossible to sign to a long-term contract, Dan Williams could very well be Big Snack's future replacement.

NJ-STEELER
01-30-2010, 09:10 PM
i was trying to sneak in thomas somewhere in my

"not ready for prime time" mock

and neal too but switch to DE

Jom112
01-30-2010, 10:31 PM
I thought Dan Williams was outstanding in today's Senior Bowl, in one series he knocked down a pass and then properly read a screen pass and covered the RB forcing the QB to throw it away. He looks extremely quick and is very active on every play.

If Casey Hampton proves impossible to sign to a long-term contract, Dan Williams could very well be Big Snack's future replacement.

I agree, Dan Williams had a heck of a game. He stood up Iupati a couple of times and did pretty well on double teams...

Oviedo
01-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Williams is a good option but will have to be picked in Round 1. Some other names to watch

1. Torrell Troup, 6'3" 315lbs, Central Florida (probably 3rd or 4th round pick)
2. Demarcus Granger, 6'2" 325lbs, Oklahoma
3. Jay Ross, 6'3", 315lbs, East Carolina
4. Martin Tevaseau, 6'3" 340lbs, UNLV (probably late round pick or UDFA). Note: He is the second cousin of our own Frank "The Tank" Summers. Maybe if he slips through to UDFA that gives us an advantage.

Shawn
01-31-2010, 01:56 AM
I would be ok with Williams...but prefer Cody. Before I drafted either I would rather see us draft Thomas...and pick up Troup in the third.

Oviedo
01-31-2010, 09:41 AM
I would be ok with Williams...but prefer Cody. Before I drafted either I would rather see us draft Thomas...and pick up Troup in the third.

Anybody but Cody!!!

phillyesq
01-31-2010, 12:43 PM

Anybody but Cody!!!

I agree. If he has weight and conditioning issues as a college senior, it is only going to get worse once he has an NFL contract (and signing bonus).

MaxAMillion
01-31-2010, 01:02 PM

Anybody but Cody!!!

Tend to agree...I don't see how Cody keeps his weight under control once he gets an NFL contract. I would like Odrick (1st choice) or Williams at #18.

Shawn
01-31-2010, 01:06 PM
You guys will be proven wrong about Cody. If you are that concerned about him getting too big you add a weight clause to the contract.

steelernation77
01-31-2010, 02:01 PM
You guys will be proven wrong about Cody. If you are that concerned about him getting too big you add a weight clause to the contract.

I don't think Cody is going to be a first round pick at this point because of concerns about his weight. He gained ~20lbs. between the end of the season and the Senior Bowl. That makes me think he is going to have trouble keeping it in check, especially in the offseason. The last thing we need is for a guy to come to camp after his rookie season at 400lbs.

Dee Dub
01-31-2010, 07:06 PM

Anybody but Cody!!!

I agree. If he has weight and conditioning issues as a college senior, it is only going to get worse once he has an NFL contract (and signing bonus).

But his weight/conditioning issues never once stopped him from dominating on the the football field. He was never ever blocked buy one man. It is impossible. And I think some of you should have watched a player first before you comment on him. Cody isnt 6 ft 1. He is 6 ft 5. And he was one of the most athletic players on the Alabama football team.

Jamal Williams who before getting hurt goes 6 ft 3 and is over 350. Yet he is as good as it gets in the NFL at NT in a 3-4. Shaun Rogers is 6 ft 4 and goes over 350.

Shawn
01-31-2010, 07:11 PM
D...I tried to explain BMI and how his is similar to the most dominating NTs in the game. It fell on deaf ears.

Dee Dub
01-31-2010, 07:12 PM

Anybody but Cody!!!

Tend to agree...I don't see how Cody keeps his weight under control once he gets an NFL contract. I would like Odrick (1st choice) or Williams at #18.

Interesting...i think Odrick could play NT in a 3-4 but he would be best served in Aaron Smith's position as a LDE. He is considered the best run stuffer in this draft.

Personally, as much as I love Cody...I think he is a early 2nd to mid 2nd round pick. And one day some team is going to consider it the heist of this draft.

NJ-STEELER
01-31-2010, 07:47 PM
if he's so good, how do you havw him falling into the 2nd round?

by comparison, green bay pick Raji at #9 last year to play the nose

Shawn
01-31-2010, 07:52 PM
if he's so good, how do you havw him falling into the 2nd round?

by comparison, green bay pick Raji at #9 last year to play the nose

I'm far from sure that he will fall to the second. I do believe that his weight will raise concerns...whether warranted or not.

SteelerNation1
01-31-2010, 08:09 PM
I think as soon as we sign Big Snack, Cody and Williams will be afterthoughts.

Shawn
01-31-2010, 08:11 PM

Agreed...if we sign Hampton we won't draft either. We will wait and a grab 3-5 guy. I think we sign Hampton and this is a moot point.

buckeyehoppy
01-31-2010, 08:36 PM

That's a no-brainer. Still believe that we need to get Snacky's replacement in this draft. But I can definitely live with a NT pick 3rd Round or later when Hampton gets signed.

birtikidis
01-31-2010, 08:38 PM
D...I tried to explain BMI and how his is similar to the most dominating NTs in the game. It fell on deaf ears.
BMI is not a be all tell all when it comes to physical fitness. give you an example: guy 6"1 238 BMI was way off the charts clearly obese according to BMI yet, body fat percentage was less then 14% which is in the normal range. I about crapped myself when my doc told me that I was obese. I asked him where i should lose it from, since I nearly had a 6 pack...

birtikidis
01-31-2010, 08:40 PM

Agreed...if we sign Hampton we won't draft either. We will wait and a grab 3-5 guy. I think we sign Hampton and this is a moot point.
I agree, I think that we sign hampton and then look at a guy like troupe later on.

Shawn
01-31-2010, 08:59 PM
BMI is not a be all tell all when it comes to physical fitness. give you an example: guy 6"1 238 BMI was way off the charts clearly obese according to BMI yet, body fat percentage was less then 14% which is in the normal range. I about crapped myself when my doc told me that I was obese. I asked him where i should lose it from, since I nearly had a 6 pack...

Of course...but BMI was used to debate the Cody "weight problem". They sited his weight without taking in consideration his height. They did so without comparing it to other dominating NTs around the league. The only issue of his "fitness" was the argument that he is a "2 down" NT...which is the same for Dan Williams which everyone seems to be high on. Hampton is a 2 down NT as well. That was my only point.

birtikidis
01-31-2010, 09:05 PM

Of course...but BMI was used to debate the Cody "weight problem". They sited his weight without taking in consideration his height. They did so without comparing it to other dominating NTs around the league. The only issue of his "fitness" was the argument that he is a "2 down" NT...which is the same for Dan Williams which everyone seems to be high on. Hampton is a 2 down NT as well. That was my only point.
oh, I missed the whole arguement. my bad, apologies.
my big thing about cody is that ALL he has is his weight. and god when he took his shirt off for the weigh in i wanted to throw up. hell hampton is big, but when he takes his shirt off you don't immediately begin looking around for princess leia (sp?)

Shawn
01-31-2010, 09:09 PM

my big thing about cody is that ALL he has is his weight. and god when he took his shirt off for the weigh in i wanted to throw up. hell hampton is big, but when he takes his shirt off you don't immediately begin looking around for princess leia (sp?)

I'll have to disagree. Cody is very athletic...for his size he might be an athletic marvel. The guy is quicker than people give him credit for. Shoot the guy can land back flips and dunk. He isn't just dead weight.

birtikidis
01-31-2010, 09:15 PM
I don't know, for all that athleticism he doesn't play like it. and I watch alot of SEC football (not just the gators but hell all they play down here is SEC). and the guy is like 6'5 he should be able to dunk a basketball. before my car accident I could dunk a basketball and i'm only 6'

Chadman
01-31-2010, 09:23 PM

Nice Star Wars reference.... :tt1

Chadman
01-31-2010, 09:30 PM
forgive the all lower case typing....holding chadbaby in the other arm...so limited...

for the life of him, chadman cannot understand the 'fuss' of cody being a suppsed '2-down player'. when the steelers go nickle/dime, don't they just play 2 lineman- smith and keisel, or maybe hood? do they need the nt to be on the field for nickle/dime formations?

if hampton, cody or williams are dominant 3-4 nt's, and are used solely for the 3-4 base, and more athletic players areed in obvious pass rush situations, is that a problem? does that make the dominant 3-4 nt any less valuable?

if the steelers draft cody, and if all he does is clog up space and allow the lb's to blitz unhindered 2 out of every 3 downs, wouldn't he be doing his job?

Shoe
01-31-2010, 09:45 PM
But his weight/conditioning issues never once stopped him from dominating on the the football field. He was never ever blocked buy one man. It is impossible. And I think some of you should have watched a player first before you comment on him. Cody isnt 6 ft 1. He is 6 ft 5. And he was one of the most athletic players on the Alabama football team.

Jamal Williams who before getting hurt goes 6 ft 3 and is over 350. Yet he is as good as it gets in the NFL at NT in a 3-4. Shaun Rogers is 6 ft 4 and goes over 350.

Oh my goodness... you have got to be kidding with that. True, it's pretty much impossible to move him in the run game. But in pass-rush, he is nothing at all to write home about.

And please note, his biggest strength is his "strength" (or more specifically, his mass). And relative to that, most of the guys he's going against in college are kids, and/or shirley not pro caliber. When he gets to the league, he will not be able to flat-out maul people like he could in college, simply because he was that much bigger.

Lastly, you mention Jamal Williams & Shaun Rogers and their girth. I'm gonna guess that both Jamal & Rogers did not come in to the league at that size. After maturing, it's only natural that you get beefier. For Cody, he is gonna come into the league at well over 350 lbs.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-31-2010, 10:11 PM
my dream scenario is to get thomas at 1:18 and maybe move up a few spots in the 2nd and grab cody if he falls within striking range.

talk about getting stronger in the middle of the field.

stlrz d
01-31-2010, 10:21 PM
So what if we sign Snack and draft Cam Thomas later in the draft?

Shawn
01-31-2010, 11:03 PM
my dream scenario is to get thomas at 1:18 and maybe move up a few spots in the 2nd and grab cody if he falls within striking range.

I love the way you think...don't we have 4 round 5 picks this season? Thomas and Cody? Wow! I would be stoked.

Shawn
01-31-2010, 11:04 PM
So what if we sign Snack and draft Cam Thomas later in the draft?

Then move up and grab Pouncey. Oh yeah. :D

RuthlessBurgher
02-01-2010, 11:35 AM

I love the way you think...don't we have 4 round 5 picks this season? Thomas and Cody? Wow! I would be stoked.

We will probably get 2 extra fifth rounders (for BMac and Nate) and maybe 1 extra seventh rounder (for Leftwich). However, those comp picks cannot be traded. It can make it easier to trade your other regular picks on day 3, though.

Shawn
02-01-2010, 12:31 PM

Oh my goodness... you have got to be kidding with that. True, it's pretty much impossible to move him in the run game. But in pass-rush, he is nothing at all to write home about.

And please note, his biggest strength is his "strength" (or more specifically, his mass). And relative to that, most of the guys he's going against in college are kids, and/or shirley not pro caliber. When he gets to the league, he will not be able to flat-out maul people like he could in college, simply because he was that much bigger.

Lastly, you mention Jamal Williams & Shaun Rogers and their girth. I'm gonna guess that both Jamal & Rogers did not come in to the league at that size. After maturing, it's only natural that you get beefier. For Cody, he is gonna come into the league at well over 350 lbs.

How is he nothing in the pass rush game? His job is to take on two guys to open up one of the OLBs. He isn't supposed to get penetration unless they make the unfortunate mistake of trying to block him with one guy...which wont happen.