PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Hampton doesn't want tag - "it will be a problem"

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Steelers' Hampton doesn't want franchise tag

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 29, 2010

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. ó If the Steelers don't sign nose tackle Casey Hampton to a multi-year contract within the next five weeks they they should give him the freedom to look elsewhere, the five-time Pro Bowler said today.

Hampton is an unrestricted free agent, and he said "it will be a problem" if the Steelers use a franchise tag on him. A franchise tag would essentially prevent the 6-foot-1, 325-pound Hampton from hitting the open market when the free agent signing period begins March 5.

"You say we're family and you'll take care of me, and I feel like that's a slap in my face if you franchise me," Hampton told the Tribune-Review following a Pro Bowl practice at St. Thomas Aquinas High School. "That's not right. You don't do business like that. I want to be treated fair, and I think franchising me is not fair."

If the Steelers tag Hampton, 32, they would have to offer him a one-year contract worth the average of the top five salaries for defensive linemen in 2009.

Using a franchise tag on the player that has been an anchor for the Steelers' defense would prevent other teams from negotiating with Hampton or force them to give up two first-round draft picks if they made him an offer that the Steelers declined to match.

Hampton turned in one of his better seasons in 2009, notching a career-high 2.5 sacks while making 42 tackles and earning his fourth consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl.

The Steelers have said they want Hampton, their first-round draft pick in 2001, back. Hampton wants to return to Pittsburgh as long as the Steelers make the kind of commitment to him that he said he has given to them.

"I love the organization. I love the owners. I love the coaches. But this is all about being fair and doing what's right and I'm big on that," said Hampton, who will play in the Pro Bowl on Sunday night. "I want to be in Pittsburgh. There's no question about that. Can we make it right? That's what it's going to boil down to."

Shoe
01-30-2010, 12:14 AM
What is not "right" about franchising him? He is old(er, meaning his game is bound to drop off). He is fat (making injury more likely). And he is still comparatively productive. (making it desirable to keep him short-term)

And to compensate him (for that year), they would pay him Top 10 NT money (which I guess is upwards of $6,000,000.00)

Yeah... that's not right!

feltdizz
01-30-2010, 12:56 AM
It's not right because next year Hampton will be out in limbo...again. From a players perspective it makes total sense. You put up pro bowl numbers and get one lousy year then have to fight for a contract with this team or a new team. There may be a team who wants his services for 3 years but only if it includes the upcoming year and missingthat boat is big money.

From a GM's point of view it makes perfect sense though.

steelz09
01-30-2010, 12:56 AM
I love how these athletes complain about owners "not making things right" and needing the money to "take care / feed my family".

Please.. these athletes have some balls to make comments like that. A lot of people would like to have a job, let along make 6mil/year when they're already very wealthy.

feltdizz
01-30-2010, 01:05 AM
I love how these athletes complain about owners "not making things right" and needing the money to "take care / feed my family".

Please.. these athletes have some balls to make comments like that. A lot of people would like to have a job, let along make 6mil/year when they're already very wealthy.
That makes no sense... You said it best though.. a lot of people would love an NFL job but can't do it. Why should Casey be happy with being under valued? His job is dangerous and every play could be his last.

It's not like Casey can be a NT for 45 years and retire. When you subtract agent, taxes, lawyers 6 mill becomes 2.5 mill. Still a nice chunk of change but it has to last the rest of his life.

Now the next response is the "if he can't live off of.." or "If I had that kind of money"
but step back and be honest... half of America will max a credit card out in the blink of an eye...

When you make more you spend more.. and if you don't the tax man will find a way to get it.

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2010, 01:31 AM
Casey knows very well that he is getting older and is more susceptible than ever to injury, all the more reason for him to seek the longer-term security of a multi-year contract.

If the Steelers were to place the franchise tag on Hampton, he will feel that he is being denied the opportunity to take care of himself and his family and being protected against the possibility of a career-ending injury.

What type of a contract do you think Casey is seeking? I'm guessing 4 years/$30 million?

Mel Blount's G
01-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Typical. Should have seen this coming. When I hear players say "I want to stay in {insert name of their team}. I love it here. I wanna finish my career here" it really means "I'll be signing with another team if/when they don't offer me a multi-year contract worth top dollar"

I hope this situation doesn't get too ugly. :|

steelz09
01-30-2010, 01:49 AM

That makes no sense... You said it best though.. a lot of people would love an NFL job but can't do it. Why should Casey be happy with being under valued? His job is dangerous and every play could be his last.

It's not like Casey can be a NT for 45 years and retire. When you subtract agent, taxes, lawyers 6 mill becomes 2.5 mill. Still a nice chunk of change but it has to last the rest of his life.

Now the next response is the "if he can't live off of.." or "If I had that kind of money"
but step back and be honest... half of America will max a credit card out in the blink of an eye...

When you make more you spend more.. and if you don't the tax man will find a way to get it.

Obviously, i will disagree with that.. what doesn't make sense about that? Many other jobs are a lot more dangerous than an NFL player. While it's dangerous, they also have the benefit of top notch trainers, physicians which a lot of other jobs don't have. The players have several other sources of income and high paying opportunities that others don't get in addition to their inflated salaries. They also have retirement savings plans like other jobs.

They get handouts as well.. top athletes will be given motorcycles (i.e. Ben), cars... many times they get "treated" to free meals at restaurants because their appearance brings in other customers. They don't have to pay for drinks and entry fees at bars and clubs for the same reason.

These players and whatnot I don't think realize how lucky they have it. Some of them don't have any harder work ethic than most people that work their average day-to-day jobs. What they fail to understand, is they were given a god given talent that 99% of the population were NOT given. May it's heredity or maybe not. And while others are talented as well, they don't make it because they weren't given the necessary "physical attributes" to make it such as not being tall enough, too short of arms, hands too small...etc etc etc. So not only were they gifted with a talent such as being exceptional at a sport, but they were also given the physical attributes to be a professional athlete in that sport. That's what these players fail to recognize. Obviously... there are exceptions..

I'll be honest, with the wealth that these athletes receive, or actors/actresses, musicians, etc. If you lose all that money, your a flat out moron. Yes, some give their money away carelessly, some blow it on cars, and other unnecessary luxury items. Medical, Family reasons and things like that are exceptions as well but they are few and far between. And in most cases, these aren't the reasons for going broke.

If you know absolutely nothing about investment, saving or whatever... they high paying athletes/actors/actresses/musicians/etc can still collect more money all of the damn interest than what most people make in a year.

steelz09
01-30-2010, 02:02 AM
But with all that being said... I don't think the Steelers have a very good alternative plan at all...

NT is critical for the 3-4. They didn't draft / develop a replacement in previous years so we're kind of stuck.

I would like to see a "fair" 3 year deal for Hampton but I don't think it's going to happen.

what about Ziggy or Harris though? I mean could one of those be the option that the Steelers are looking for. Ziggy would need to add about 10-15 pounds but thats doable. Then we can draft another DE this year high in the draft. I would definitely say a DE is easier to find than a NT and the Steelers have add a year to evaluate if one of those 2 can get the job done.

Shawn
01-30-2010, 02:26 AM

Agreed...lets not "playa hate" :lol: I dislike the notion that people should settle for less because they have more. He is worth a nice 3 year contract. He has played at a very high level. He is worth a certain amount on the open market. Why should he have to settle for less? Of course he should be upset. This is his last big payday. I can see his view "pay me what I'm worth or let me go". I have no issue with that.

From the Steelers side of things...they have already paid this man millions. They have certain rights to his football career. Why should they not use them? As much as they want to call this family and such...it's a business. And if I'm the Steelers and he won't sign reasonably...then I franchise him. He won't take the year off that I assure you. That would be career suicide. The only thing you risk at that point is him becoming a cancer and a distraction in the locker room.

feltdizz
01-30-2010, 02:33 AM
I disagree on the money debate with NFL athletes... A few make good money and the rest reasonable money but when you factor in the rest of there lives it's not a lot. Most of these guys have one focus and it's football. Why do you think Hines and Woodson fell out? It wasn't the hit it was a failed investment. These guys are just like us when it comes to business deals. Stocks? Slow growth maybe...

I know an entertainer who is worth a ton but his accountant screwed him over so he isn't worth what he thought he was. These athletes also have to look out for theives. A lot of theives and vultures... and I'm not talking about thugs or family, everyone is trying to take their money.

feltdizz
01-30-2010, 02:39 AM
But with all that being said... I don't think the Steelers have a very good alternative plan at all...

NT is critical for the 3-4. They didn't draft / develop a replacement in previous years so we're kind of stuck.

I would like to see a "fair" 3 year deal for Hampton but I don't think it's going to happen.

what about Ziggy or Harris though? I mean could one of those be the option that the Steelers are looking for. Ziggy would need to add about 10-15 pounds but thats doable. Then we can draft another DE this year high in the draft. I would definitely say a DE is easier to find than a NT and the Steelers have add a year to evaluate if one of those 2 can get the job done.

Aaron Smith and Keisel aren't getting any younger either... Hood looks good but I think we need another true NT before we let Casey go. I think he has 3 years left in him. If he gets offended like Faneca we release him and watch him give another team another 4 years.

I would keep him but I understand FO's concerns.

steelz09
01-30-2010, 02:50 AM
I'd be curious to see those stats your talking about... the "average salary" of an NFL player over the course of their career.

I'd be willing to bet that the average NFL player makes significant more regardless of if they retire in their mid 30's compared to people in their mid 50's. And like I said, with zero knowledge at all, the interest on that money will make more than most people make on an entire years salary so basically if they don't screw it up, they'll never have to worry about money again. And like I said before, they have retirement, benefits, etc like in other jobs. I don't feel sorry for them one bit. For gods sake, THEY PLAY A SPORT! Yea, it's work .... but come on ... they have to train for the year to play a sport (A GAME) that they love and make millions for it... life must be really freakin' tough

Now ... this isn't a knock on Hampton per say .. or any other NFL player. They should make what the "comp" is. I'm not saying Hampton should take a pay cut. He should make what he's worth given his age, production, playing time, injury history, leadership, etc. I'm all for that.

My statements from above are for the moron athletes that go to the media outlets whether through the paper or through the TV that say things like ..... "I'm disappointed in an offer like that ... I'm just trying to feed my family" or dumb comments along those lines. And this happens all the time. I don't see how anyone can feel the least bit sorry for them.

If they are going to make a comment, tell the media what they really feel such as:
"I'm disappointed in an offer like that .... because others that aren't as productive and aren't as consistent are making more money and I think my play warrants a payday similar to my peers with similar production".

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2010, 02:55 AM
Do you think Big Snack would accept a 3 year/$20 million offer?

steelz09
01-30-2010, 02:58 AM

I think he should. Whether he will or not is a different story. I'd be surprised if the Steelers offer him any more than that.

steeler_george
01-30-2010, 03:18 AM
First and for most, I hate players calling out the FO like that in public. Shut up! Let your agent do the talking to the FO in private. As if the owners, don't know what older players are thinking.

I do think that, Casey is still playing dominate ball and should have a few years in him left. Does that mean we should sign him? I just hope the FO makes a wise decision. The wrong choice could kill us in years to come.

Don't quote me, but over all, don't NT/DL in the NFL usually have long careers (+10 years) so signing to 3/4 years possible. Or is it just because our DL is old and got brain washed that it the norm.

What options do we have with him and the position?

1) sign him to a +3 years.
2) Franchise him... would that lead to problems? If he declines, but then again he would be forced to play to get his "last big contract"
3) can we put transition tag on him to guarantee us a 1st round pick if stolen from us.
4) can we trade him? What is his value with so many new 3-4 teams?
5) Are their any FA available with Hoke that could fill in his role till we find the right key again?

RuthlessBurgher
01-30-2010, 11:57 AM

I was thinking that for someone at Hampton's age and current production level, something like 3 years, $18 million with $6 million guaranteed would be a reasonable compromise (he'd prefer 4 years for $7 million per year or more, and the team would prefer 2 years for $5 million or less).

However, with these contracts, the only money that is truly guaranteed is the signing bonus. Even if he signed a 10 year deal, we can cut him after year one and would not owe him the salaries for years 2-10...only that signing bonus. But the franchise tag is also fully guaranteed. So how is getting a guaranteed $7 million for one year under the franchise tag a "slap in the face" but getting a guaranteed signing bonus of, say, $6 million on a 3 year deal is not?

feltdizz
01-30-2010, 12:38 PM
It's a slap in the face to Hampton because he doesn't want to look for a job in another year. He is coming off a pro bowl season and wants to get a contract that rewards his play. One year at 7 mill is nice but the lack of job security one year from now sucks for players. Most people like job security.

Slapstick
01-30-2010, 12:53 PM
The NFL minimum Rookie Salary in 2009 was $310,000...

If that's merely "reasonable", then Snack is making crazy, stupid money...

I have no sympathy for Casey if he only makes $7 mil next year...

Money is the number one reason that families fall apart... :D

Steel Life
01-30-2010, 12:56 PM
If he's pulling a "Faneca"...let him walk, take the compensatory pick & don't look back. Draft or sign a NT & keep going, because between this, his age (32) & his questionable conditioning habits, he's only going to get worse.

FA Options are...
1. Aubrayo Franklin, San Francisco 49ers (30)
2. Ryan Pickett, Green Bay Packers (30)
3. Barry Cofield, New York Giants (26)

feltdizz
01-30-2010, 01:03 PM
The NFL minimum Rookie Salary in 2009 was $310,000...

If that's merely "reasonable", then Snack is making crazy, stupid money...

I have no sympathy for Casey if he only makes $7 mil next year...

Money is the number one reason that families fall apart... :D
I don't know about that one. Rich people get divorced a ton

feltdizz
01-30-2010, 01:07 PM
If he's pulling a "Faneca"...let him walk, take the compensatory pick & don't look back. Draft or sign a NT & keep going, because between this, his age (32) & his questionable conditioning habits, he's only going to get worse.

FA Options are...

worse then pro bowl status and career high sack total? Maybe...

The questionable conditioning is a myth. No different then Ben and film study. The only way Casey could convince us he is in shapeis to lose the weight he needs to be a good NT.

RuthlessBurgher
01-30-2010, 01:28 PM
It's a slap in the face to Hampton because he doesn't want to look for a job in another year. He is coming off a pro bowl season and wants to get a contract that rewards his play. One year at 7 mill is nice but the lack of job security one year from now sucks for players. Most people like job security.

There is no such thing as job security in the NFL, though. You can sign a 5 year deal and get released after one year and the only thing owed to you is that first year's salary and your signing bonus. Does he think he's going to get a guaranteed signing bonus that is significantly more than the guaranteed $7 million he gets with the franchise tag? I don't think so.

RuthlessBurgher
01-30-2010, 01:34 PM

FA Options are...

Franklin will almost certainly be franchised by the Niners, so he is not a realistic option. Pickett could be an option, since the Packers just drafted B.J. Raji as their NT of the future last year, so they likely won't be willing to pay big bucks for Pickett. Cofield is a 4-3 DT. At 6'4" 306 lbs, he's closer in stature to Aaron Smith (listed at 6'5" 298 lbs) than Casey Hampton (listed generously at 6'1" 325 lbs).

The best option if we are not able to work out a reasonable deal in the near future appears to be franchising Hampton in spite of what he says. A franchise tag does not mean that we cannot still work out a new contract...we tagged Max and worked out a deal before he actually had to play at that franchise number.

Shawn
01-30-2010, 01:48 PM

What Ruthless is saying is a long term contract doesn't give him anymore security. They could still give him one year and cut him.

Oviedo
01-30-2010, 02:03 PM

The NT position vreates a problem for all 3-4 teams and with more playing that defense teams are going to be forced to "overdraft" NTs. Only alternatives are:

1. Tag him and hope he will be a professional
2. Extend him and tie up $6-7M per year for him
3. Let him go and draft Dan Williams with #18 and have him split time with Hoke or pick up a mid salary NT as a FA until Willliams is ready to go. #18 is probably an overdraft for Williams the player but not Williams the NT.
4. Go to the 4-3 defense where you can easily and more cheaply reload your DL. I know, just pi$$ing in the wind but in a cap driven league it is probably the smartest long term decision. Plus young players might actually play.

feltdizz
01-30-2010, 02:17 PM

There is no such thing as job security in the NFL, though. You can sign a 5 year deal and get released after one year and the only thing owed to you is that first year's salary and your signing bonus. Does he think he's going to get a guaranteed signing bonus that is significantly more than the guaranteed $7 million he gets with the franchise tag? I don't think so.
True, a player can get cut at anytime.... but the reality is most players want a long term deal because it gives a sense(false or whatever) of security. Players wouldn't cry about long term deals if getting cut was the norm.

and if he can still get cut why is there a fear of laziness or complacency on Casey's part?

Obviously there is some kind of relief with a multi-year deal or every player would ask for one year.

feltdizz
01-30-2010, 02:18 PM

The NT position vreates a problem for all 3-4 teams and with more playing that defense teams are going to be forced to "overdraft" NTs. Only alternatives are:

3. Let him go and draft Dan Williams with #18 and have him split time with Hoke or pick up a mid salary NT as a FA until Willliams is ready to go. #18 is probably an overdraft for Williams the player but not Williams the NT.
4. Go to the 4-3 defense where you can easily and more cheaply reload your DL. I know, just pi$$ing in the wind but in a cap driven league it is probably the smartest long term decision. Plus young players might actually play.

but DE's aren't cheap.. does the money for DE's kinda wash out the cheap reloading argument? Just asking?

pittpete
01-30-2010, 02:40 PM
I wish somebody would "slap me" in the face and guarantee me a $6 million dollar salary next year.
These players are so full of crap and look out for only themselves, which is human nature in a business,which football has become.
So for Hampton to say the team needs to treat him right is just laughable.
Business,business,business.

RuthlessBurgher
01-30-2010, 03:02 PM

but DE's aren't cheap.. does the money for DE's kinda wash out the cheap reloading argument? Just asking?

Exactly. The franchise tag number for DE's is $12.4 million, second only to the $16.4 million for QB's. In the 3-4, we don't have to pay the outrage amount of money top DE's like Julius Peppers and Dwight Freeney are looking for. And we'd need to find two starting DT's (very much a hit-or-miss positon draft-wise) instead of just one space-eating, hole-plugging NT. Finding a truly good penetrating DT for the 4-3 is even harder than finding a 3-4 DE (guys like N. Suh and G. McCoy don't come around often, and when they do, they almost always go in the top 5, and even then there seems to be a 50-50 chance of a guy like that becoming a bust). I don't think it is easier to find 4-3 players than 3-4 players. Even though a few more teams switched to the 3-4 in the past few years, there are still more 4-3 teams to compete with for players than there are 3-4 teams.

papillon
01-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Steelers' Hampton doesn't want franchise tag

Friday, January 29, 2010

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. ó If the Steelers don't sign nose tackle Casey Hampton to a multi-year contract within the next five weeks they they should give him the freedom to look elsewhere, the five-time Pro Bowler said today.

Hampton is an unrestricted free agent, and he said "it will be a problem" if the Steelers use a franchise tag on him. A franchise tag would essentially prevent the 6-foot-1, 325-pound Hampton from hitting the open market when the free agent signing period begins March 5.

"You say we're family and you'll take care of me, and I feel like that's a slap in my face if you franchise me," Hampton told the Tribune-Review following a Pro Bowl practice at St. Thomas Aquinas High School. "That's not right. You don't do business like that. I want to be treated fair, and I think franchising me is not fair."

If the Steelers tag Hampton, 32, they would have to offer him a one-year contract worth the average of the top five salaries for defensive linemen in 2009.

Using a franchise tag on the player that has been an anchor for the Steelers' defense would prevent other teams from negotiating with Hampton or force them to give up two first-round draft picks if they made him an offer that the Steelers declined to match.

Hampton turned in one of his better seasons in 2009, notching a career-high 2.5 sacks while making 42 tackles and earning his fourth consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl.

The Steelers have said they want Hampton, their first-round draft pick in 2001, back. Hampton wants to return to Pittsburgh as long as the Steelers make the kind of commitment to him that he said he has given to them.

"I love the organization. I love the owners. I love the coaches. But this is all about being fair and doing what's right and I'm big on that," said Hampton, who will play in the Pro Bowl on Sunday night. "I want to be in Pittsburgh. There's no question about that. Can we make it right? That's what it's going to boil down to."

How is it being fair if the entire deal is to his benefit? If he signs with another team, isn't that a slap in the face of the Steelers? How is it fair when you air this type of thing in public?

The Steelers have publicly stated they want to retain him, that's a positive comment not negative. They haven't publicly said anything about tagging him, that's positive and fair. Lets see who exactly is being unfair or negative about the current negotiating situation. He should have kept his mouth shut and had his agent work with the Rooneys. He's been around long enough to know that the Rooneys and the Steelers are very fair.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
01-30-2010, 03:19 PM
If Casey feels that 'this is family, they should treat me right since its like that', then treat them right and cut them a deal for signing you long term. These players all want it their way, but do they also give back to this team they want to treat them right?

Steelers could have traded Joey Porter for draft picks or another player like the Pats did with Seymour and the Raiders but the Steelers chose to instead just let him walk so he could choose where he goes. They didn't have to do that.

What players have cut the Steelers a break contractually that they have resigned?

RuthlessBurgher
01-30-2010, 03:45 PM
In an interview with Bob Labriola on Steelers.com (which you can access via SASF's Post Season Interviews thread...just scroll down a little when you get there), Kevin Colbert said that he prefers not to have to tag players. He said that he does it, in a case like Max Starks, when the supply and demand is such that they do not feel that there are sufficient alternatives available if they let that player go.

He also noted that sometimes the tag can be used simply to buy more negotiating time. If they are unable to work out a long-term deal with a player that they want to retain before the start of free agency, then the tag could buy them some additional negotiating time to work out a contract before the start of the next season (they were not able to do this with Max Starks when they gave him the transition tag a couple of years ago, but they were able to work out a long term deal a year later after giving him the franchise tag).

When Bob asked him if anyone promised Casey that they would not tag him, he said that he does not give away options that are available to the team that have been collectively bargained with the union. Basically, the the owners and the players' union agreed that the franchise/transition tags were an option available to the teams, Colbert would not give away that right via a promise to a specific player.

From the sounds of that particular interview (even though it took place a few days prior to the date juniors had to declare for the draft, so it likely took place about 2 weeks ago before Vince Wilfork and Casey opened their mouths), I came away thinking that they hope to get a deal worked out with Casey before free agency starts in the next 5 weeks, but if they are unable to do so, the franchise tag remains a viable option for them (in spite of Casey's own opinion on such a thing).

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Hampton speaks out
January 30th, 2010 - TribLive

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. ó Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton talked to the Tribune-Review following a Pro Bowl practice Friday about his future with the team.

Hampton is an unrestricted free agent, but the Steelers can essentially lock him up for another season by using a franchise tag on him.

If the Steelers, who want to bring Hampton back, go in that direction they will have to offer the ninth-year veteran a one-year contract worth the average of the top five salaries paid to defensive linemen in 2009.

Hampton said during the season that he didnít want the Steelers to tag him. The five-time Pro Bowler reiterated that stance with some pointed comments and elaborated on why he is so against the Steelers using a franchise tag on him.

Here is a transcript of Hampton's chat with the Tribune-Review:

Do you think youíre coming back?

ďI hope so. Itís on them. Itís out of my hands now. Itís all about them doing the right thing and making it right and then we can go from there.Ē

Youíve said you donít want the Steelers to use a franchise tag on you. Why is that?

ďWhy franchise me? You didnít feel that strong about signing me before the season so why is it such a big issue for you to try to keep me now? Thatís how I look at it.Ē

Itís a fairness issue in your mind?

ďYou say weíre family and youíll take care of me, all Iíve done for this organization, and I feel like thatís a slap in my face if you franchise me. Thatís just not right. You donít do business like that.Ē

If the Steelers take that route Ö

ďIt will be an issue, I told them that. Itís going be a problem if I get franchised.Ē

As in holdout?

ďAs in itís going to be a problem. I strongly disagree with that.Ē

What if they franchise you with the idea that it will buy them more time to negotiate a long-term deal?

ďI donít want none of that. If (no contract before March 5) then let me do what Iím going to do. I believe theyíre going to try to get something done. But at the end of the day, if the two sides donít come to terms. let me see whatís out there. Donít hold me back because you didnít want to sign me before the (2009) season. Donít try to hold me back now off of something you did earlier. I didnít have nothing to do with that. I came in and played every year, so itís your time to make it right. Thatís how I see it.Ē

Was it tough watching a handful of your teammates get new contracts last year?

ďItís not tough on me at all because I know what I can do and I know what Iím capable of doing. Iím big on not worrying about what other guys are getting and what other guys are doing. Iím worried about me, and I feel like I didnít get signed before the season, and I think they know I wasnít too happy about that. I went through all last season with no security, so I feel like youíve got to make right by getting the deal done and taking care of me or letting me see what itís going to be.Ē

Did you stick it to the Steelers by having the kind of season you did in 2009?

ďNo, man. I love the Steelers. I love the organization, I love the owners, I love the coaches. I love everything about Pittsburgh, but itís all about being fair and doing whatís right and Iím big on that. Iíve done everything theyíve asked me to do since Iíve been here, so donít stick me in the end and try to do me bad by trying to hold me (back) because you didnít get the deal done before the (2009) season. I donít think thatís right.Ē

Do you have an idea of how many good years you have left?

ďAs long as I stay healthy, Iím good. Thatís the main thing. I donít hurt when I walk around or nothing like that. Itís just staying healthy. I want to be in Pittsburgh. Thereís no question about that. Can we make it right? Thatís what itís going to boil down to.Ē

Do you want to retire as a Steeler?

ďNo question but I want to be treated fair and I think franchising me is not fair. They say weíre going to get (a deal) done so weíll see.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Hampton speaks out
January 30th, 2010 - TribLive

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. ó Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton talked to the Tribune-Review following a Pro Bowl practice Friday about his future with the team.

Hampton is an unrestricted free agent, but the Steelers can essentially lock him up for another season by using a franchise tag on him.

If the Steelers, who want to bring Hampton back, go in that direction they will have to offer the ninth-year veteran a one-year contract worth the average of the top five salaries paid to defensive linemen in 2009.

Hampton said during the season that he didnít want the Steelers to tag him. The five-time Pro Bowler reiterated that stance with some pointed comments and elaborated on why he is so against the Steelers using a franchise tag on him.

Here is a transcript of Hampton's chat with the Tribune-Review:...

Did you stick it to the Steelers by having the kind of season you did in 2009?

ďNo, man. I love the Steelers. I love the organization, I love the owners, I love the coaches. I love everything about Pittsburgh, but itís all about being fair and doing whatís right and Iím big on that. Iíve done everything theyíve asked me to do since Iíve been here, so donít stick me in the end and try to do me bad by trying to hold me (back) because you didnít get the deal done before the (2009) season. I donít think thatís right.Ē...

The flip side of that is that the Steelers did "everything he asked them to do..." - they paid him just like they promised they would in the contract. So what, that's what they're supposed to do? Exactly, and his playing hard is no more and no less than what he was supposed to do.

So, it's even - STFU and get down to negotiating. But this, "I've been WRONGED!!!" media self-pity blitz is just repulsive, and since I can't see how it gets these guys one more penny, i'd venture to say that this generation of agents are pea-brained vermin-like excuses for human beings, for feeding their players these lines - it just turns the hometown fans against the players - great "super agent" move, eh!

Just my :2c !! :tt2 :tt1

Shoe
01-30-2010, 05:00 PM
How is it being fair if the entire deal is to his benefit? If he signs with another team, isn't that a slap in the face of the Steelers? How is it fair when you air this type of thing in public?

The Steelers have publicly stated they want to retain him, that's a positive comment not negative. They haven't publicly said anything about tagging him, that's positive and fair. Lets see who exactly is being unfair or negative about the current negotiating situation. He should have kept his mouth shut and had his agent work with the Rooneys. He's been around long enough to know that the Rooneys and the Steelers are very fair.

Pappy

Exactly Pap.
This f-n guy is trying to make it seem like the team is doing something underhanded here, when it's perfectly legitimate according to the CBA.

AND... you know that if he was the OWNER, franchising a player wouldn't be off the table (unless he's an idiot businessman).

feltdizz
01-30-2010, 05:42 PM

Pappy

Exactly Pap.
This f-n guy is trying to make it seem like the team is doing something underhanded here, when it's perfectly legitimate according to the CBA.

AND... you know that if he was the OWNER, franchising a player wouldn't be off the table (unless he's an idiot businessman).

of course... Casey is just doing what he thinks will work to his benefit. Steelers are doing the same. No one is wrong... unless he took a discount with the assurance he would be resigned.

This isn't new... it happens all the time. Hines sat out for goodness sakes. All Casey did was say the rehearsed victim line that all players give. These guys are negotiating with the guys who cut the check.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Poor Casey. He's such a victim in all this.

He spends every offseason eating like crazy so that he can show up out of shape at the start of each season, and now, his team is talking about the possiblity of using the franchise tag???

Poor Casey...if they use the franchise tag, he'll have to show up out of shape at the beginning of next season, only to suffer under slave wages of about $7 million for the next year.

What a shame that anyone should have to suffer so much mistreatment. Maybe they'll put his picture on People magazine right along with Rhianna and other abuse victims.

Steel Life
01-30-2010, 09:01 PM

FA Options are...

Franklin will almost certainly be franchised by the Niners, so he is not a realistic option. Pickett could be an option, since the Packers just drafted B.J. Raji as their NT of the future last year, so they likely won't be willing to pay big bucks for Pickett. Cofield is a 4-3 DT. At 6'4" 306 lbs, he's closer in stature to Aaron Smith (listed at 6'5" 298 lbs) than Casey Hampton (listed generously at 6'1" 325 lbs).

The best option if we are not able to work out a reasonable deal in the near future appears to be franchising Hampton in spite of what he says. A franchise tag does not mean that we cannot still work out a new contract...we tagged Max and worked out a deal before he actually had to play at that franchise number.
Ruthless you're probably right about Franklin, but I think Pickett could be a great option since the Packers will have to deal with re-signing both Kampman & Jolly. I listed Coefield for a couple of reasons, first the Steelers liked him coming out of Northwestern & second, I believe that they will start to move towards an attacking 3-4 (like the Cowboys) or even a hybrid 3-4/4-3 (like the P*ts) as Tomlin exerts his defensive philosophy more & more.

NJ-STEELER
01-30-2010, 09:28 PM
maybe its just me, but i have a hard time sympathizing with the players who dont want to be franchised.

maybe if they didn't "win the lottery" everytime they sign a contract, i would feel for them

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2010, 09:44 PM
don't you want Casey to be able to feed his family?

if they all eat like him it must be an extremely expensive thing to afford...

feltdizz
01-30-2010, 09:53 PM
maybe its just me, but i have a hard time sympathizing with the players who dont want to be franchised.

maybe if they didn't "win the lottery" everytime they sign a contract, i would feel for them

What should NFL players do? Not whine and just be happy a team is willing to pay them a random number of millions. I understand the fan discontent but I also realize this is the business of football.
Why doesn't Ben play for 60 million and the love of the game?
NFL players make millions... the average person makes thousands...

Football isn't the only industry where people negotiate contracts for insane amounts of money. Why should a person who is used to making millions all of a sudden revert back to being a thousandaire because of the fans?

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2010, 09:59 PM

What should NFL players do?

NFL players should go to their union and discuss changing the current CBA, by using the franchise tag the owners are merely abiding by the rules that were collectively negotiated between owners and players.

Oviedo
01-30-2010, 10:24 PM

Not necessarily. It is a simple supply and demand issue. Every year there are a large number of very good college 4-3 DEs that we ignore or draft and spend 2-3 years converting or hoping, e.g. Bruce Davis. Far more than true NTs. These DEs can typically step in and start playing because they are being drafted to play their natural college positions. Same with DTs who don't have to convert to 3-4 DEs.

The problem will continue to get worse as college defense react to the proliferation of the spread offenses and get smaller faster DL to pressure the QB. True NTs will continue to be harder and harder to find and replace.

NorthCoast
01-31-2010, 10:11 AM

Agreed...lets not "playa hate" :lol: I dislike the notion that people should settle for less because they have more. He is worth a nice 3 year contract. He has played at a very high level. He is worth a certain amount on the open market. Why should he have to settle for less? Of course he should be upset. This is his last big payday. I can see his view "pay me what I'm worth or let me go". I have no issue with that.

From the Steelers side of things...they have already paid this man millions. They have certain rights to his football career. Why should they not use them? As much as they want to call this family and such...it's a business. And if I'm the Steelers and he won't sign reasonably...then I franchise him. He won't take the year off that I assure you. That would be career suicide. The only thing you risk at that point is him becoming a cancer and a distraction in the locker room.

Here's what the front office needs to consider; are you going to pay Hampton for what he has done, or what he will do? Every notion I have is that Hampton is good for maybe two years and then the play will fall off dramatically. His weight and age will work against him and he has not shown a lot of discipline to change.
The lowest risk option for the Steelers is to tag him. If they can agree to a long term deal, then make it front loaded so when the uncapped year expires we won't take a big hit.

hawaiiansteel
01-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Franchise tag not popular with NFL players
Buzz up!
Sunday, January 31, 2010

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. ó The average fan may not be able to relate to an NFL player speaking out against something that would guarantee him more than $6 million for one season.

But Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers understands why Casey Hampton is so opposed to the idea of the Steelers using a franchise tag on the veteran nose tackle before the start of the free-agent signing period.

"It's a large sum of money," said Peppers, who made almost $9 million last season as the Panthers' franchise player. "But if you're looking for a long-term deal and then you're restricted, you're not able to secure your future. So that's why most guys are against it."

Hampton, who is an unrestricted free agent, made it clear that he is against the Steelers tagging him even if they do so with the intention of buying more negotiating time with the ninth-year veteran.

"It's going to be a problem if I get franchised," Hampton told The Tribune-Review Friday.

The Steelers have said they want Hampton back in 2010, and they have not committed to using the franchise tag on him.

With the free agency period starting March 5, time is of the essence if the two sides are to agree on a multi-year contract.

With that key date approaching, the franchise tag has become a topic of discussion at the Pro Bowl, which will be played today.

New England nose tackle Vince Wilfork has taken a stance similar to Hampton, saying he will be insulted if the Patriots use a franchise tag on him.

Peppers said there are multiple reasons why players don't like the franchise tag, even though it guarantees that they will be among the highest-paid players at their position for the upcoming season.

Perhaps the biggest drawback to the franchise tag is that it delays premier players from hitting the open market for a year. That is no small consideration in a sport as violent as football and for a player such as Hampton, who turns 33 in September.

"You might get injured, production might fall off, you don't know," Peppers said. "If you're able to go out and get that (long-term) deal, of course that's what you want."

But long-term contracts in the NFL don't offer players the same level of security that they do in Major League Baseball and the NBA since only part of the NFL money is guaranteed.

Of course, long-term contracts are still safer for players than the one-year deals that come with the franchise designation.

The Steelers, as an example, will have to offer Hampton a one-year contract in excess of $6 million if they use a franchise tag on him.

Ken Zuckerman, an agent for Priority Sports & Entertainment, said a player of Hampton's caliber might command a five-year deal worth as much as $40 million on the open market.

Roughly half of that, Zuckerman said, would be guaranteed.

Simple arithmetic, he added, shows why a player such as Hampton frowns upon the idea of getting tagged ó even though that might make the most sense for the Steelers from a business standpoint.

"You want to guarantee yourself $20 million instead of $6 million," Zuckerman said. "A player doesn't want to play on a one-year (contract) in this game. It's such a dangerous, volatile game."

That reality may be why outside James Harrison said he would have "definitely" been upset had the Steelers let him finish the four-year contract he signed in 2006 and then used a franchise tag on him.

It never reached that point as the Steelers signed Harrison last April to a six-year deal that made him the highest-paid defensive player in franchise history.

Harrison, who will play in his third consecutive Pro Bowl tonight, was one of a handful of key veterans that the Steelers locked up before they went into the final year of their contract.

Hampton, a five-time Pro Bowler, didn't get a new deal, and he has framed his contract issue as one of fairness.

He said he merely wants the Steelers to reciprocate on the commitment he has shown to them ó or let him test the open market without restrictions.

"I think franchising me is not fair," Hampton said. "They say we're going to get (a deal) done, so we'll see."

A CLOSER LOOK

The franchise tag has been a part of the NFL since 1993. Teams are allowed to use one franchise tag a year on one of their own free agents. Here are the two franchise tags available to teams and how they are different.

Exclusive: Players are offered a one-year contact that is the average of the five highest salaries at that position the previous season. Unrestricted free agents that get the "exclusive" tag are not permitted to negotiate with other teams.

Non-exclusive: The contract is the same as with the exclusive tag, but other teams are allowed to negotiate with "non-exclusive" franchise players. Any offers made to these players can be matched, and if that player's team declines to match an offer, it gets two first-round picks in return.

Mel Blount's G
01-31-2010, 05:13 PM

Here's what the front office needs to consider; are you going to pay Hampton for what he has done, or what he will do? Every notion I have is that Hampton is good for maybe two years and then the play will fall off dramatically. His weight and age will work against him and he has not shown a lot of discipline to change.
The lowest risk option for the Steelers is to tag him. If they can agree to a long term deal, then make it front loaded so when the uncapped year expires we won't take a big hit.
When I read between the lines of Casey's interview, I think that is exactly what he expects: To be paid for what he has done, what he feel he deserves based on what he has done.

Because of the threatening tone of what he has stated here, I'm kinda of hoping he does get tagged just to see what he'll do.

feltdizz
01-31-2010, 05:25 PM
:wft

Every player who is up for a new contract is paid for what they have done... and they are expected to keep doing it.

it's pretty simple IMO... Do you want a pro bowler who has 2 or 3 years left or do you want an unknown NT?

If our D played like 2008 I probably let Casey go and cross my fingers in the draft...

Looking at our D last year though they had holes in the secondary.. do I want another question mark up front and/or a rotten egg in the locker room?

I try to get him for 4 years and back load it and bring in a young guy to learn. I cut Hampton in his 3rd year or ask for him to restructure if his play falls off.

NJ-STEELER
02-01-2010, 12:09 AM

What should NFL players do?

NFL players should go to their union and discuss changing the current CBA, by using the franchise tag the owners are merely abiding by the rules that were collectively negotiated between owners and players.

thank you

their union reps voted the tag as part of the CBA. dont like it...take away the free agency after 4 year rule

Dee Dub
02-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Typical. Should have seen this coming. When I hear players say "I want to stay in {insert name of their team}. I love it here. I wanna finish my career here" it really means "I'll be signing with another team if/when they don't offer me a multi-year contract worth top dollar"

Agreed 100%!!!

Who cares?? I think at this point in Casey Hampton's career.....he is replaceable.

Shawn
02-01-2010, 12:25 PM
[quote="Mel Blount's G":3lk03mda]Typical. Should have seen this coming. When I hear players say "I want to stay in {insert name of their team}. I love it here. I wanna finish my career here" it really means "I'll be signing with another team if/when they don't offer me a multi-year contract worth top dollar"

Agreed 100%!!!

Who cares?? I think at this point in Casey Hampton's career.....he is replaceable.[/quote:3lk03mda]

Not with anyone we currently have on the roster. I like Hoke but he isn't Hampton. His game is more penetration, lateral movement, motor. He is a solid player but he won't command double teams which by your own words is crucial for the 3-4. He is only replaceable day one with a guy like Cody. Cody can step in day 1 and take on 2 OLmen.

Oviedo
02-01-2010, 12:32 PM
[quote=Dee Dub][quote="Mel Blount's G":2yz1t9ja]Typical. Should have seen this coming. When I hear players say "I want to stay in {insert name of their team}. I love it here. I wanna finish my career here" it really means "I'll be signing with another team if/when they don't offer me a multi-year contract worth top dollar"

Agreed 100%!!!

Who cares?? I think at this point in Casey Hampton's career.....he is replaceable.[/quote:2yz1t9ja]

Not with anyone we currently have on the roster. I like Hoke but he isn't Hampton. His game is more penetration, lateral movement, motor. He is a solid player but he won't command double teams which by your own words is crucial for the 3-4. He is only replaceable day one with a guy like Cody. Cody can step in day 1 and take on 2 OLmen.[/quote:2yz1t9ja]

Again the problem with the 3-4 defense that will be magnified as more and more teams pursue dominant 3-4 NTs. The price will go through the roof and colleges don't produce them in volume.

TallyStiller
02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
.02... He wants to get paid so he can be a fat, lazy piece of crap like so many other big guys in the league. I can guarantee that he'll disappear forever the minute he gets paid. At this point, I honestly hope they DO tag him, then draft his replacement and withdraw the tag. Release him out on the market in late April with a lockout looming and see how p*ssed he is about being forced (sob, choke) to accept $7 million to play a freaking game in a country with a 10% unemployment rate.

Of course, I'd make a lousy owner myself... the reason why most players don't pull classless nonsense like this on us is because the Rooneys treat them well.

hawaiiansteel
02-01-2010, 10:30 PM
[quote=Dee Dub][quote="Mel Blount's G":33s4exbz]Typical. Should have seen this coming. When I hear players say "I want to stay in {insert name of their team}. I love it here. I wanna finish my career here" it really means "I'll be signing with another team if/when they don't offer me a multi-year contract worth top dollar"

Agreed 100%!!!

Who cares?? I think at this point in Casey Hampton's career.....he is replaceable.[/quote:33s4exbz]

Not with anyone we currently have on the roster. I like Hoke but he isn't Hampton. His game is more penetration, lateral movement, motor. He is a solid player but he won't command double teams which by your own words is crucial for the 3-4. He is only replaceable day one with a guy like Cody. Cody can step in day 1 and take on 2 OLmen.[/quote:33s4exbz]

I think Dan Williams NT from Tennessee could also replace Big Snack from Day 1 while rotating in with Chris Hoke during his first year. We may have no choice because from all indications so far Hampton is going to prove to be very difficult to sign.

stlrz d
02-02-2010, 12:20 AM
.02... He wants to get paid so he can be a fat, lazy piece of crap like so many other big guys in the league. I can guarantee that he'll disappear forever the minute he gets paid. At this point, I honestly hope they DO tag him, then draft his replacement and withdraw the tag. Release him out on the market in late April with a lockout looming and see how p*ssed he is about being forced (sob, choke) to accept $7 million to play a freaking game in a country with a 10% unemployment rate.

Of course, I'd make a lousy owner myself... the reason why most players don't pull classless nonsense like this on us is because the Rooneys treat them well.

What do you want to bet he doesn't?

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2010, 01:32 AM

What do you want to bet he doesn't?

I have seen Hampton report to camp out of shape but I've never seen him dog it in a game. I think the big problem here is that Casey wants one last big payday and the Steelers have a philosophy of not over-paying for players in the twilights of their careers.