PDA

View Full Version : 'Mount' Cody looks to downsize

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Alabama's Terrence 'Mount' Cody looks to downsize for NFL draft

By Jeremy Fowler, ORLANDO SENTINEL
8:07 p.m. EST, January 28, 2010

MOBILE, Ala. — Terrence Cody is so discouraged about his 370-pound showing at Monday's Senior Bowl weigh-in, his first two practices this week were "average" because of the distraction.

"At first it was kind of difficult," the former Alabama defensive tackle said. "I really wasn't practicing and playing to my full ability. Eventually I loosened up. Maybe I'll do better in the game."

One football truism: Watch out when a big guy is angry.

Cody is out to punctuate his Senior Bowl week with a big game Saturday in Mobile, Ala., and he's already started a diet to trade in Mount Cody for a small ski slope.

His goal is to drop to 345 before the NFL combine in late February.

The plan?

"Eating more vegetables," he said. "And just hard work."

Cody's massive frame is nothing new to college football fans who watched him clog the middle during the Crimson Tide's national title run. In 2009.

Cody blocked two kicks to save a victory against Tennessee, including the Volunteers' attempted game-winner as time expired.

Though his 28 tackles and no sacks last season are unimpressive on paper, his ability to command double teams anchored the Tide's Southeastern Conference-best 77.9 rushing yards allowed per game.

As long as Cody's health is manageable, he's a viable first-round pick on presence alone.

"He takes up two full gaps," said Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano, who is coaching the South Team in Saturday's game in Ladd-Peebles Stadium. "He's a big, strong guy, powerful at the point of attack."

Cody, the most popular player in Mobile save Tim Tebow, isn't the first larger-than-life presence to come out of Alabama with weight issues. Offensive tackle Andre Smith, at 335 pounds, looked soft and unmotivated at last year's NFL combine. He still went in the top 10 to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Cody, however, is more limber than the scale suggests. He can dunk a basketball and has landed back flips before.

"I haven't tried it in awhile, but I can do it," Cody said.

Sparano sees the value in Cody's potential weight loss because of his reliability throughout an entire game, not just half of it.

"You want to get to a point where you're a three-down player," Sparano said. "In our defense, [he's a] first- and second- down player, probably, as I look at him. Whether he has third-down ability, not sure. He's got work to do."

Whatever happens with the draft, the fans of Alabama love him just the way he is.

Children and adults screamed "Cody, Cody" Thursday as he walked from the practice field to the team bus.

"He's the big man on campus for us," said Mike DiPlacido, an Alabama fan from Mobile. "We love that he's big."

Oviedo
01-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Sure. Just like he did at Alabama. Guy shows up at his first really importnat "job interview" in terrible shape doesn't exactly convince me that he can sustain a long term 8-10 year commitment.

He may be able to buckle down between now and the combine but after he signs that contract forget it.

Sugar
01-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Perhaps whatever team signs him can structure his contract heavily based on things like weight and playing time.

feltdizz
01-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Sure. Just like he did at Alabama. Guy shows up at his first really importnat "job interview" in terrible shape doesn't exactly convince me that he can sustain a long term 8-10 year commitment.

He may be able to buckle down between now and the combine but after he signs that contract forget it.

At least teams are aware of it before drafting him.

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2010, 11:22 PM
I would be very worried about drafting Mount Cody, how long can anyone really expect him to keep eating vegetables after he gets a big rookie contract?

RuthlessBurgher
01-30-2010, 11:27 AM
I would be very worried about drafting Mount Cody, how long can anyone really expect him to keep eating vegetables after he gets a big rookie contract?

He'll still eat vegetables. But they will be deep-fried, covered in powdered sugar, and he will dip them in hot fudge. :wink:

Shoe
01-30-2010, 05:08 PM
I remember a guy a couple years ago, BIG Walt Thomas... very similar IMO. Thomas was a JC player or something, but was a D1 player at Ok St, and from reports, was pretty much a beast in much the same way Cody is.

As far as I know, that guy is stocking shelves or somewhere, cuz he ain't playing NFL football. And there's a reason (and I don't think he's very different from Cody AT ALL). I think the only saving grace for Cody is the people that happened to be around him, and those who weren't around the other guy.

Cody had people to guide him (I guessing Saban being one of them). The other guy probably didn't. It's just that these guys don't have it IN THEM. It's too much of a gamble, just for the chance that you might get yourself a 34 Nose.

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2010, 09:40 PM
I guess we'll find out about Cody's willpower when the Combine rolls around and then everyone can see how close to 345 lbs he is...

Mount Cody actually looked pretty good in today's Senior Bowl, he does hold his ground very well even against double-teams.

feltdizz
01-30-2010, 09:59 PM
I guess we'll find out about Cody's willpower when the Combine rolls around and then everyone can see how close to 345 lbs he is...

Mount Cody actually looked pretty good in today's Senior Bowl, he does hold his ground very well even against double-teams.
He did. He needs a trainer but I think he is worth looking at..

What about Cam Thomas from North Carolina.. he had good size and they said he quietly having a good game.

The Souths OL was terrible so I guess that has to be considered.

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2010, 10:24 PM

He did. He needs a trainer but I think he is worth looking at..

What about Cam Thomas from North Carolina.. he had good size and they said he quietly having a good game.

The Souths OL was terrible so I guess that has to be considered.

While NT is one of those positions that doesn't always show that well at all-star games, Dan Williams of Tennessee, Cam Thomas of North Carolina and Alabama's Mount Cody all made like fire hydrants glued to the line of scrimmage most of the week, although none of the three is going to get much in the way of upfield penetration.

Cody, of course, was one of the big - both literally and figuratively - at this year's Senior Bowl when he weighed in at 370 pounds. As a result, Cody became this year's unofficial comedy relief as he looked more like beached whale than a pro football prospect. Pro scouts, though, couldn't help but notice that he when he put the pads on, he locked onto the line of scrimmage and pretty much tossed around would-be South team blockers who tried to dislodge. Those same pro scouts are also going to see when they go back to the tapes that Cody was a key element of Alabama's run to the national title. As such, Cody could ultimately be the 2010 draft's biggest - again both literally and figuaratively - wild card as teams, especially those that run a 3-4 scheme and need an upgrade on the nose, try to weigh Cody's potential physical presence on the field against the huge red flags about his stamina or lack thereof, and the real danger that he could ultimately simply eat himself out of the league.

Dee Dub
01-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Wow!!! You guys think Vince Wilfork, Shaun Rogers, Casey Hampton, or Jamal Williams (before he got hurt), watch what they eat?? And just how inaffective are they as a result of that?? I bet that Cody comes into the NFL and become one of the games best NT's. And I bet physically he never ever ever approaches the body type of Mike Mamula.

Any player who requires two men to block him and still struggle to stop him...is worth every penny as well as the risk in drafting him regardless of his diet habits.

SS Laser
01-30-2010, 11:50 PM
I do not like mount flab. He will eat his way out of the league or be very injury pron.

Could someone please post the pick of mount flab and hampton?

Hampton looks like a old school power lifter! Big man with muscle and a big gut! Not a bunch of flab!

Even at 350ish mount flab will not "look" like a pro!

I wish the young man well. But I do not see it working out well for him after a big payday!

Dee Dub
01-30-2010, 11:57 PM
I do not like mount flab. He will eat his way out of the league or be very injury pron.

Hampton looks like a old school power lifter! Big man with muscle and a big gut! Not a bunch of flab!

I wish the young man well. But I do not see it working out well for him after a big payday!

How about just posting a picture of Casey Hampton before the Steelers drafted him. Then one say like now. See the difference after Hampton's big pay days? Has he really stopped being a force in the middle as a result of it?

Do you not understand that Cody can not be blocked by one player?? In a 3-4 that right there is as huge as it gets for a defense. It is the premise of their whole defense.

But I guess because he doesnt look good without his shirt on that means he isnt going to continue to be dominant?? I doubt that.

NJ-STEELER
01-31-2010, 01:06 AM
the difference is coming at of school casey was probably close to his lsied weight at 320 LBs. after year in the league and years of getting a paycheck he has balloned to whats likely around 360 LBs.

cody is already at 360 lbs....maybe more. if he's anything like casey or other limeman he will gain more weigh after biging in the big leagues.

i dont think its too far fetched that he'll be 400 LBs in a short time

feltdizz
01-31-2010, 01:15 AM
To say the guy will be 400 pounds is a stretch...

whoever drafts him will have the responsibility of keeping him at a decent weight.

The guy is a problem on D though.. he was the key to the Alabama championship D.

NJ-STEELER
01-31-2010, 01:19 AM
he's 370 now without the benefit of an NFL paycheck to eat what ever and the heck he wants.

gaining 30 lbs (on a 370 lb) is a stretch?

thats less then a 10 % gain

Shawn
01-31-2010, 01:36 AM
[quote="SS Laser":2iy2uuhx]I do not like mount flab. He will eat his way out of the league or be very injury pron.

How about just posting a picture of Casey Hampton before the Steelers drafted him. Then one say like now. See the difference after Hampton's big pay days? Has he really stopped being a force in the middle as a result of it?

Do you not understand that Cody can not be blocked by one player?? In a 3-4 that right there is as huge as it gets for a defense. It is the premise of their whole defense.

But I guess because he doesnt look good without his shirt on that means he isnt going to continue to be dominant?? I doubt that.[/quote:2iy2uuhx]

This is exactly what I have been saying...he is unblockable by one OLman. He is a man amongst boys...no one can handle him on the college level and I'm willing to bet no one can handle him on the pro level.

NorthCoast
01-31-2010, 09:51 AM
[quote="SS Laser":gfpsh8qh]I do not like mount flab. He will eat his way out of the league or be very injury pron.

But I guess because he doesnt look good without his shirt on that means he isnt going to continue to be dominant?? I doubt that.[/quote:gfpsh8qh]

"can not be blocked by one player".....when he is on the field. That's the issue. You're talking a 1st rd player that will pull in millions and he might only be only the field for 50% of defensive snaps. Not real good value. I have like D. Williams for a while. You know what you are getting....for much less risk.

stlrz d
01-31-2010, 11:11 AM
For those who are so concerned with him being a 2 down player...have you not noticed that on 3rd downs LeBeau likes to go with unusual packages like having only one D lineman on the field? Depending on distance needed for a first down of course.

Shawn
01-31-2010, 11:15 AM
[quote="SS Laser":2p05j7wz]I do not like mount flab. He will eat his way out of the league or be very injury pron.

But I guess because he doesnt look good without his shirt on that means he isnt going to continue to be dominant?? I doubt that.

"can not be blocked by one player".....when he is on the field. That's the issue. You're talking a 1st rd player that will pull in millions and he might only be only the field for 50% of defensive snaps. Not real good value. I have like D. Williams for a while. You know what you are getting....for much less risk.[/quote:2p05j7wz]

Dan Williams is also a two down lineman...not nearly as unblockable as Cody. Doesn't seem much like value to me. You guys also realize Hampton is a two down player correct?

stlrz d
01-31-2010, 11:22 AM
[quote="SS Laser":13pjd50y]I do not like mount flab. He will eat his way out of the league or be very injury pron.

"can not be blocked by one player".....when he is on the field. That's the issue. You're talking a 1st rd player that will pull in millions and he might only be only the field for 50% of defensive snaps. Not real good value. I have like D. Williams for a while. You know what you are getting....for much less risk.

Dan Williams is also a two down lineman...not nearly as unblockable as Cody. Doesn't seem much like value to me. You guys also realize Hampton is a two down player correct?[/quote:13pjd50y]

They want a guy who will be a 3 down player, but what they fail to acknowledge is LeBeau mixes things up on 3rd down. But if it's 3rd and short Casey is out there.

Oviedo
01-31-2010, 11:31 AM
[quote="Dee Dub":1v8sgqoh][quote="SS Laser":1v8sgqoh]I do not like mount flab. He will eat his way out of the league or be very injury pron.

Dan Williams is also a two down lineman...not nearly as unblockable as Cody. Doesn't seem much like value to me. You guys also realize Hampton is a two down player correct?[/quote:1v8sgqoh]

They want a guy who will be a 3 down player, but what they fail to acknowledge is LeBeau mixes things up on 3rd down. But if it's 3rd and short Casey is out there.[/quote:1v8sgqoh]

LeBeau's scheme is based on deception and mixing it up. He is so good at it that none of our young players can figure it out enough to actually play.

stlrz d
01-31-2010, 11:33 AM
LeBeau's scheme is based on deception and mixing it up. He is so good at it that none of our young players can figure it out enough to actually play.

Still waiting for those who believe that myth to give me a list of young players who should be on the field instead of the guys who have proven they should be there.

Maybe I'll start a thread on it so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. :)

RuthlessBurgher
02-27-2010, 01:27 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/27/alabama-dt-cody-down-to-354-pounds/

Alabama DT Cody down to 354 pounds

Posted: February 27th, 2010 | Justin Hathaway | Tags: 2010 NFL Scouting Combine, Terrence Cody

INDIANAPOLIS — Terrence Cody’s 370-pound frame was the talk of the Senior Bowl. In one month, however, the Alabama defensive tackle has lost 16 pounds.

Cody weighed in at 354 pounds Saturday at the NFL Scouting Combine. He was listed at 365 during his senior season at Alabama.

– Justin Hathaway

hawaiiansteel
02-27-2010, 02:32 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/27/alabama-dt-cody-down-to-354-pounds/

Alabama DT Cody down to 354 pounds

Posted: February 27th, 2010 | Justin Hathaway | Tags: 2010 NFL Scouting Combine, Terrence Cody

INDIANAPOLIS — Terrence Cody’s 370-pound frame was the talk of the Senior Bowl. In one month, however, the Alabama defensive tackle has lost 16 pounds.

Cody weighed in at 354 pounds Saturday at the NFL Scouting Combine. He was listed at 365 during his senior season at Alabama.

– Justin Hathaway

Mt. Cody may have just secured himself a spot in the first round with that weigh-in! Shawn is absolutely correct when he says Cody is unblockable with just one guy, there are too many teams now playing the 3-4 who desperately need a dominant NT for Cody to last very long.

feltdizz
02-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Cody was a first round pick regardless of weight. The issues on this board regarding NT's weights is damn near ignorant. Look around the league... None of these guys look fit without a shirt on.

Shocking news... The best NT coming out of college is fat and will always be fat. He is a beast and I hope he is around when we pick. I just hope he doesn't get scooped by a rival.

Chadman
02-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Big body, long arms, big hands...if it wasn't for that pic of Cody looking like an enormous Whoopi Goldberg, Chadman wonders if there would be much debate over his 1st round chances.

354lbs shows he can lose weight as easy as gain it. Get a team with a decent conditioning program, and Cody could dominate.

Shawn
02-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Absolutely...I believe Cody to have the ability to be the best 3-4 NT in the game.

Shoe
02-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Wow!!! You guys think Vince Wilfork, Shaun Rogers, Casey Hampton, or Jamal Williams (before he got hurt), watch what they eat?? And just how inaffective are they as a result of that?? I bet that Cody comes into the NFL and become one of the games best NT's. And I bet physically he never ever ever approaches the body type of Mike Mamula.

Any player who requires two men to block him and still struggle to stop him...is worth every penny as well as the risk in drafting him regardless of his diet habits.

Of course they don't.
But those guys also were in much better shape when they came out for the draft! After 5+ years of maturing (i.e. aging), of course you put on weight. What is this guy gonna do after 5+ years? Go to 450 pounds?

Dan Williams is also a two down lineman...not nearly as unblockable as Cody. Doesn't seem much like value to me.

I agree with this too. This Dan Williams just seems like a plugger; not an impact player in the way you want. I think he is being overrated.