View Full Version : Steelers Free Agent Decisions: Jeff Reed

fordfixer
01-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Steelers Free Agent Decisions: Jeff Reed
Re-signing Reed top priority
Friday, January 29, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10029/1031889-66.stm

There aren't many certainties for the Steelers when it comes to deciding what to do with some of their top unrestricted free agents. It remains unclear if they will use a franchise tag on five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton, and they will be in no hurry to re-sign running back Willie Parker or cornerback Deshea Townsend, even though they would take both players back at a reduced rate if they don't sign with another team.

But one thing is certain: Their top priority before free agency begins March 5 is to sign kicker Jeff Reed to a new contract. They intend to accomplish that before doing anything else, and that is fine by Reed, who has maintained all along his desire to remain with the Steelers.

Reed said that he has met with "the most important people in the organization" -- president Art Rooney II, director of football operations Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin -- "and they all said they definitely want me back. They want me to retire a Steeler. Sounds like a good plan to me."

He has been one of the National Football League's most accurate and dependable kickers since his rookie season in 2002, despite kicking outdoors in the Northeast. His career field goal percentage of 83.26 percent (189 of 227) -- seventh among all active kickers -- ranks ninth in NFL history among kickers with 100 or more field goals.

In a season in which the NFL's field-goal percentage dropped from 84.5 in 2008 to 81.3, Reed's conversion percent of 87.1 (27 of 31) was second only to San Diego's Nate Kaeding (91.4) among kickers with 30 or more attempts. And that after a rare bad performance in Week 2 in Chicago in which Reed missed attempts of 38 and 43 yards in the fourth quarter.

After that game, he never missed again from inside 50 yards, converting all 24 attempts. In fact, his only misses after the Chicago loss were from 52 and 53 yards, the latter on a cold December day at Heinz Field.

Since 2007, Reed has converted 88.2 percent of his attempts (75 of 85) -- the same success rate as Kaeding (83 of 94), the percentage leader in league history, in that time.

But Reed's greatest attribute might be his ability to deliver when it matters most -- a quality that was underscored in the past couple weeks when kickers such as Kaeding, Cincinnati's Shayne Graham and Arizona's Neil Rackers missed field-goal attempts at critical junctures of playoff games. Reed has never missed a field goal in the postseason (16 of 16) and is 22 of 25 in the final two minutes or in overtime of a regular-season game.

"The last three years, if you look at what I've done, I'm very proud of that," Reed said Thursday from Charlotte, N.C., where he is visiting his family. "I've never been to the Pro Bowl. I don't necessarily like it when I'm not mentioned among the best kickers in the league."

Conceivably, the Steelers could place a franchise or transition tag on Reed and keep him for one more season. But a franchise tag for kickers/punters before the 2009 season (average of top five salaries) was $2,483,000. A transition tag for kickers/punters (average of top 10 salaries) was $2,264,000.

Reed's 2009 salary was $1,375,000, though he counted $1,973,334 against the salary cap. A year earlier, his cap value of $1,958,333 ranked ninth among NFL kickers.

"I'm very loyal to the Steelers," Reed said. "No matter what has happened in the past, the organization has treated me very respectfully and made me feel like it's home."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10029/10 ... z0e06RnnoM (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10029/1031889-66.stm#ixzz0e06RnnoM)

Oviedo
01-29-2010, 08:37 AM
If he can keep his head on straight and grows up would love to have him back. Make sure you add a personal conduct clause in his contract.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Love him for FG's he is so automatic. His kickoffs blow though.

Oviedo
01-29-2010, 08:54 AM

I'd rather draft a RB or DB who can do returns and use the Stefan Logan roster spot for a boomer for kick offs. Perfect pick: CJ Spiller at #18.

phillyesq
01-29-2010, 09:21 AM
I want to see Reed come back. Bears game aside, he is nearly automatic on FGs. I can't think of anybody available who would be an upgrade over Reed; if anything, the Steelers will take a big step down at the position if he leaves.

flippy
01-29-2010, 09:41 AM
If Reed made the kicks in Chicago, we're probably lifting Lombardi #7 next week.

Or if he didn't kick 4 balls that got returned for TDs, we're probably beating NO next week.

Maybe Jeff should move on to his future job of teaching Karate classes. He could advertise his classes in Sheetz bathrooms. And on HCWDB.com.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-29-2010, 10:01 AM

I'd rather draft a RB or DB who can do returns and use the Stefan Logan roster spot for a boomer for kick offs. Perfect pick: CJ Spiller at #18.

Logan had a very good year as a returner....he will be back with the Steelers next season.

frankthetank1
01-29-2010, 12:07 PM
If Reed made the kicks in Chicago, we're probably lifting Lombardi #7 next week.
Or if he didn't kick 4 balls that got returned for TDs, we're probably beating NO next week.

Maybe Jeff should move on to his future job of teaching Karate classes. He could advertise his classes in Sheetz bathrooms. And on HCWDB.com.

there no way reed's missed fg's in that game was the result of not being in the sb. reed doesnt play DB. the defense was the reason they fell short of the post season. imo they have to re-sign reed. for resonable money of course. after watching a number of kickers choke in the post season reed is much more valuable now. his kick offs do suck though

Sugar
01-29-2010, 12:56 PM

Naw- Jeff can't be blamed for poor coverage units. If he can make a reasonable deal, we should keep him.

SteelAbility
01-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Steelers Free Agent Decisions: Jeff Reed
Re-signing Reed top priority
Friday, January 29, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10029/1031889-66.stm

There aren't many certainties for the Steelers when it comes to deciding what to do with some of their top unrestricted free agents. It remains unclear if they will use a franchise tag on five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton, and they will be in no hurry to re-sign running back Willie Parker or cornerback Deshea Townsend, even though they would take both players back at a reduced rate if they don't sign with another team.

But one thing is certain: Their top priority before free agency begins March 5 is to sign kicker Jeff Reed to a new contract. They intend to accomplish that before doing anything else, and that is fine by Reed, who has maintained all along his desire to remain with the Steelers.

Reed said that he has met with "the most important people in the organization" -- president Art Rooney II, director of football operations Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin -- "and they all said they definitely want me back. They want me to retire a Steeler. Sounds like a good plan to me."

He has been one of the National Football League's most accurate and dependable kickers since his rookie season in 2002, despite kicking outdoors in the Northeast. His career field goal percentage of 83.26 percent (189 of 227) -- seventh among all active kickers -- ranks ninth in NFL history among kickers with 100 or more field goals.

In a season in which the NFL's field-goal percentage dropped from 84.5 in 2008 to 81.3, Reed's conversion percent of 87.1 (27 of 31) was second only to San Diego's Nate Kaeding (91.4) among kickers with 30 or more attempts. And that after a rare bad performance in Week 2 in Chicago in which Reed missed attempts of 38 and 43 yards in the fourth quarter.

After that game, he never missed again from inside 50 yards, converting all 24 attempts. In fact, his only misses after the Chicago loss were from 52 and 53 yards, the latter on a cold December day at Heinz Field.

Since 2007, Reed has converted 88.2 percent of his attempts (75 of 85) -- the same success rate as Kaeding (83 of 94), the percentage leader in league history, in that time.

But Reed's greatest attribute might be his ability to deliver when it matters most -- a quality that was underscored in the past couple weeks when kickers such as Kaeding, Cincinnati's Shayne Graham and Arizona's Neil Rackers missed field-goal attempts at critical junctures of playoff games. Reed has never missed a field goal in the postseason (16 of 16) and is 22 of 25 in the final two minutes or in overtime of a regular-season game.

"The last three years, if you look at what I've done, I'm very proud of that," Reed said Thursday from Charlotte, N.C., where he is visiting his family. "I've never been to the Pro Bowl. I don't necessarily like it when I'm not mentioned among the best kickers in the league."

Conceivably, the Steelers could place a franchise or transition tag on Reed and keep him for one more season. But a franchise tag for kickers/punters before the 2009 season (average of top five salaries) was $2,483,000. A transition tag for kickers/punters (average of top 10 salaries) was $2,264,000.

Reed's 2009 salary was $1,375,000, though he counted $1,973,334 against the salary cap. A year earlier, his cap value of $1,958,333 ranked ninth among NFL kickers.

"I'm very loyal to the Steelers," Reed said. "No matter what has happened in the past, the organization has treated me very respectfully and made me feel like it's home."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10029/10 ... z0e06RnnoM (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10029/1031889-66.stm#ixzz0e06RnnoM)

But if the kickoff quality is good on a consistent basis, then the "need it most" situations occur less and less. I'd rather not even be in the "we really need this" in the first place.

SteelAbility
01-29-2010, 01:04 PM

Naw- Jeff can't be blamed for poor coverage units. If he can make a reasonable deal, we should keep him.

It could be argued that the coverage unit is strained by the fact that Reed is consistently giving the return man a running start outside the 5 yard line. Chicken. Egg.

phillyesq
01-29-2010, 01:07 PM
It could be argued that the coverage unit is strained by the fact that Reed is consistently giving the return man a running start outside the 5 yard line. Chicken. Egg.

They seemed fine in the 2008 season.

SteelAbility
01-29-2010, 01:18 PM

It was more like the D was fine in 2008.

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2010, 01:31 PM

Yeah, but our special teams coverage units were top-rated in '08 as well. The precipitous fall from one year to the next in ST coverage was mind-boggling.

flippy
01-29-2010, 03:30 PM

With minimal hangtime.

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2010, 03:40 PM
The Senior Bowl preparations are under way, and players are trying to make their impressions on NFL coaches, including the Steelers.

Already, according to two sources at the bowl, the Steelers have held meetings with two players. The first being Idaho guard Mike Iupati.

The 6-5, 325 pound Iupati earned consensus All-American honors this season after being named to the first team by the Associated Press, Walter Camp, American Football Coaches Association and the Football Writers Association of America.

An Outland Trophy finalist and first team All-WAC selection, Iupati helped the Vandals claim just the second bowl victory in program historyóa 43-42 win over Bowling Green in the Humanitarian Bowl. He didnít allow a single sack all season and graded out at 90 percent or better in all 13 games.

The team also met with Michigan State kicker Brett Swenson. The 5-7 kicker,is MSUíS all time leader in field goals (70) points scored (370) and extra points. He is also known for kicking it deep into the endzone.

Swenson has kicked in poor weather environments, and considering his accuracy if the Steelers decide to bring him in, the status of Jeff Reed could be in question.

SteelAbility
01-29-2010, 05:09 PM

Yeah, but our special teams coverage units were top-rated in '08 as well. The precipitous fall from one year to the next in ST coverage was mind-boggling.

I wasn't aware of that. I guess even with Sepulveda's better punting we plunged. So I stand corrected.

But I still hate Reed's kickoffs and think they are a liability. :P :twisted: :wink: