PDA

View Full Version : Draft class looks strong at CB and OT

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Draft class looks strong at CB and OT
January 28th, 2010 - TribLive

With the Steelers coaches now fully immersed in draft preparation — they are evaluating prospects this week at Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala. — they have to be encouraged by an early conclusion they have probably reached: this is a good year to take a cornerback or an offensive tackle with a first-round pick.

The 2010 draft appears to be deep at each position, and the Steelers would neither surprise nor disappoint anybody if they took a cornerback or an offensive lineman with the 18th overall pick.

“There’s plenty of depth at offensive tackle if the Steelers want to grab a tackle and play him there or move him inside,” said ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay, who is also at the practices that precede the Senior Bowl. “There’s a lot of talent there, there really is.”

Russell Okung of Oklahoma State, Anthony Davis of Rutgers, Trent Williams of Oklahoma and Bruce Campbell of Maryland are at the top of the offensive tackle class, McShay said.

One of them could fall to the Steelers.

If the team that didn’t get an interception from a cornerback until the final game of the 2009 season addresses its secondary with its first pick, it will have plenty to choose from there as well.

The cornerback class has been bolstered by several underclassmen that entered the draft, particularly Florida’s Joe Haden.

“It’s turning out to be a really good cornerback class,” McShay said.

One player to keep an eye on as the draft draws closer is Florida State safety Myron Rolle.

A Rhodes Scholar who left Florida State a year early to study in England, Rolle has helped himself more than anybody at the Senior Bowl, McShay said.

“Probably the most impressive performance of anybody here this week,” McShay said.

McShay said Rolle showed up at the Senior Bowl “absolutely chiselsed,” which has helped allay any concerns about how serious he is about football.

Rolle has done so well this week that McShay projects him going in the third round of the draft and possibly the second if he continues to impress at the NFL Scouting Combine and individual workouts.

SteelTorch
01-28-2010, 09:51 PM
What about the center prospects? As much as I hate to say it, Hartwig could be the weak link on our O-line.

Steel Life
01-28-2010, 11:04 PM
"Draft class looks strong at CB"?...Strong at safety, but at CB - no way. Personally, I wouldn't even go after Joe Haden or Patrick Robinson.

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2010, 12:52 AM
this draft is deep in CBs but not in Round 1, the only one being Joe Haden and possibly atrick Robinson and Donovan Warren in the late Round 1/early Round 2 area. I would be shocked if the Steelers drafted one in the first round, I would be surprised (and disappointed) if we didn't draft one of the many very good CBs that will be available for us in Rounds 2 or 3.

as for OTs, this draft is indeed deep in Round 1 as Russell Okung, Anthony Davis, Bruce Campbell, Trent Williams and Bryan Bulaga are all worthy of being selected in Round #1.

if we're going to address the OL in the first two rounds, I would prefer G Mike Iupati in Round 1 or C Maurkice Pouncey in Round 2. In my opinion, Justin Hartwig and Trai Essex aren't that good and are part of our OL problem and not the solution.

PSU_dropout43
01-29-2010, 12:56 AM
this draft is deep in CBs but not in Round 1, the only one being Joe Haden and possibly atrick Robinson and Donovan Warren in the late Round 1/early Round 2 area. I would be shocked if the Steelers drafted one in the first round, I would be surprised (and disappointed) if we didn't draft one of the many very good CBs that will be available for us in Rounds 2 or 3.

as for OTs, this draft is indeed deep in Round 1 as Russell Okung, Anthony Davis, Bruce Campbell, Trent Williams and Bryan Bulaga are all worthy of being selected in Round #1.

if we're going to address the OL in the first two rounds, I would prefer G Mike Iupati in Round 1 or C Maurkice Pouncey in Round 2. In my opinion, Justin Hartwig and Trai Essex aren't that good and are part of our OL problem and not the solution.
Exactly. :Clap

Mel Blount's G
01-29-2010, 02:32 AM
if we're going to address the OL in the first two rounds, I would prefer G Mike Iupati in Round 1 or C Maurkice Pouncey in Round 2.
From what I've heard/read about these two, I'd be completely down with this scenario. And whatever we do, I do NOT want a cb in the first round. They are way too risky to pick in the first unless it's the far and away best guy (Joe Haden?) and even then I'm nervous.

Oviedo
01-29-2010, 08:46 AM

I agree about Iupati. He is the only OL I would take in Round 1. Start him at RG and if we can't retain Colon he can move to RT. The kid has great upside and I think our new OL coach is going to be able to take this OL to the next level.

We will be able to get good DBs in Rounds 2 and 3. One of the guys who apparently has impressed the most at the Senior Bowl is Myron Rolle from FSU. He is the high character type of player the Steelers would love to get. Wants to be a doctor and open a free clinic in the Bahamas plus he is super smart. He is a solid tackler and big hitter, not a playmaker who is going to get INTs and run them back for TDs and I am concerned about his speed which has been reported at 4.7 for the 40. If he can run in the 4.5-4.6 range he may be someone they look at.