PDA

View Full Version : Most Memorable Games for your favorite players?

Lonbull
01-28-2010, 05:36 PM
I was having a really bad day last week - and towards the end of the evening I broke out a DVD of the Steelers 2005 Season. As I'm sitting there watching a (seemingly) much younger Ben Roethlisberger, a (I can't believe it's been five seasons without) Jerome Bettis, a fresh fast Willie Parker....and of course finally a MVP Hines Ward - I started thinking about asking PlanetSteelers about their most memorable games for individual players.

For instance was the snowy Chicago game THE game that defined Jerome Bettis. Not necessarily the best statistical game, not necessarily a game the Steelers won - but if you had to think of games that defined certain players (i.e. Hines Ward, Joey Porter, Casey Hampton...etc) what games immediately come to mind for you?

For me there are certain games that stick out for certain players, but I thought I'd ask Planet Steelers what they thought - especially for a player like Hines Ward - who has served for so long as a Steeler - yet I'm having trouble pinpointing his "most memorable" game.

So I'm requesting you list a player (any Steeler past or present) and share what you consider that player's most memorable game.

I'm going to start us off with most memorable game for Ben Roethlisberger - (and he's had a lot) might just be his playoff game against the Colts in 2006.

The first big surprise in the game is that the Steelers came out passing, and it appeared that the Steelers took the Colts by surprise in the first half. The first six of ten plays were passing plays that resulted in a Touchdown pass (his first of two that day) to Antwaan Randle El.

While Ben only had 197 yards passing that day - he did end up having 2 TD's, while Peyton Manning ended up with only 1 TD.

Ben Roethlisberger, with this win, also became the first QB in the Super Bowl Era to reach the conference championship in his first two seasons in the league. Interesting that you don't hear fact very often?

http://www.6magazineonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/ben-roethlisberger-nick-harper.jpg

Ben has certainly had any number of memorable games - however this one may go down as one of his best, probably because he was only in his second season - and this was a Super Bowl run in which we were the 6th seed.

Troy Polamalu is another difficult player to determine his best day - but I'll wait to see what Planet Steelers have to say.

L.B.

Discipline of Steel
01-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Mine is for James Harrison against the Ravens a couple years ago. Sorry to pick the low hanging fruit but I loved every minute of that game and thats the day he ascended to the top of my fav Steelers list. Not only did he have plenty of splash plays (3 1/2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and an int), he jacked up Ed Reed...twice, and forced a fumble to shoot straight up in the air. And of course, we blew the Ravens out that day.

My favorite moment is tied between Swanny's juggling SB catch, Lambert slinging Cliff Harris to the ground in the SB, and Harrisons Immaculate Interception in the SB.

SteelHead
01-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Great topic.

JAMES FARRIOR - November 7th , 2004 VS. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

http://photos.upi.com/slideshow/lbox/a4e3d04df1fa0db5d30fbaa83939b0f4/PHILADELPHIA-EAGLES-AT-PITTSBURGH-STEELERS.jpg

One of the best games I can remember James ever playing. The stats weren't necessarily huge but he played a monster game. We pressured McNabb up the middle all game and Potsie was a huge part of that registering a sack and several other pressures. He picked off McNabb in the game as well as defended some passes. I remember some great solo tackles in the backfield in that game as well. This game and the whole 2004 season was Farrior at his best. And that was pretty damn good.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0906/locker.room.celebrations/images/80670228.jpg

Here's to you James......I know you've got enough left in the tank to help lead us to one more of these.

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Willie Parker made quite the impression in his first game as a starter in the opening game of the 2005 season against Tennessee. Sure, he showed flashes of what was to come in the last game of his rookie year against Buffalo, but his effort against the Titans on 9-11-05 was truly special. He had 22 carries for 161 yards (7.3 avg) with a TD plus one catch for 48 more yards. And it wasn't just that he got yards, it was how he got yards. Sure, he was fast, but everyone already knew that. In this game, on a couple of occassions, he hit the defender before the defender hit him, and kept churning his legs with great second effort. It was then we knew for sure that we had a starting RB, and he finished the season even more spectacularly than he started it...with the longest run in Super Bowl history.

http://www.steelers.com/MediaContent/2005/09/11/11/05_TN_WillieParker1_56829.jpghttp://nbcsportsmedia3.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060205/060205_superrun_hmed6p.h2.jpg

Shoe
01-28-2010, 08:31 PM
My two all-time favorite Steelers are: #95 and #86. The strange thing is, I have a hard time giving you ONE defining game for either of them. I agree that you can define a lot of guys in one game, but I don't know....

...I guess for Lloyd, I'm gonna pick one of two: the game when Lloyd called his shot against Marino (though I think it's in question) or the game when Namath called him dirty and Lloyd said Namath can kiss his a$s. And for #86, I'm gonna say one of the games when he cried (probably against the cheats*), because it shows how much heart the guy plays with.

Lonbull
01-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Disciple of Steel - That's the game I think of too when it comes to James Harrison - but that guy has had so many moments - The "Hurdle" in San Diego (I was at that game), The Body Slam of the Browns fan - and of course his Super Bowl Run......but if I remember correctly that was his first season as a starter -and what made that game even sweeter is a Raven (I believe it was Bart Scott) said James Harrison was just a no-name who would never have a better game.....ever.....oops - :oops:

Steelhead / Shoe - You know when I thought of this topic two things came to mind.

1st - I knew that some Steeler fans would remember players and games that I had probably forgotten, or didn't see in that light (i.e. the Farrior game against Philly). And I'm looking forward to hearing more....good work Steelhead.

2nd - There are a number of players that certainly are difficult to define in one game - Hines definitely comes to mind, but I'd figure I throw it out there and see what Planet Steelers could come up with. Your pick Shoe is a solid, memorable one - it's also an interesting pick. I thought about the game in Atlanta where he lost his shoe (seriously no pun intended here) on a TD run. However I believe we either tied that game or lost that game against Atlanta - odd how my strongest memories of Hines are in losses.

Ruthlessburger - I like it.

I love the pics that are going with this thread - good work guys.

L.B.

anger 82&95
01-28-2010, 10:33 PM
I believe the year was 1992; maybe Cowher’s first game as coach. Rod Woodson single handedly pounded the hated Oilers into submission. Woodson picked off Warren Moon twice, deflected numerous passes and had at least two game changing tackles. I fondly remember the good old days when a Steeler CB could actually intercept a pass…

flippy
01-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Tommy Maddox's comeback victory against Cleveland in the playoffs. I can't remember another game that left me so excited. Renegade anyone?

stlrz d
01-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Weegie Thompson had 118 yards receiving and 1 TD in a losing effort against the Bills.

http://www.post-gazette.com/images2/20030909hosptsWeegie_230.jpg

:lol:

SidSmythe
01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
WOODSON: 1992 Monday vs. the Bills
- Pick 6 for TD, then BLASTING Jim Kelly in the end zone on the blitz, forcing a fumble and a Gerald Williams TD.

PORTER: 2006 AFC Divisional Playoff Game
- He called out the refs "cheating us" and you watch America's Game he talks about this. He said he was so mad he (Yes Joey Porter) could not talk!!! He goes on to sack Peyton Manning on 3rd and 4th down to ALMOST seal victory

POLAMALU: Opening Game vs. Tennessee 2009
- it's a shame he only played the first half of this game. Amazing 1 handed INT. But his tackle for a loss where he ran 15 yards in a nanosecond to tackle Chris Johnson?? for a 6 yard loss was simply a sign of good things to come this year (well, though we thought).

proudpittsburgher
01-29-2010, 10:36 AM
http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://www.sportscards4all.com/store/images/83%2520T%2520G.ANDERSON%2520RC.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGiKX6Atywzn2keXJzdhoLBEdgGRg

Gary Anderson, my all-time favorite Steelers kicker, hits a 50 yard field goal in overtime to beat the Oilers in the 1990 wild card playoffs. Big rivalry back then, big kick. First time I remember yelling after a Steelers win.

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2010, 10:59 AM
a Raven (I believe it was Bart Scott) said James Harrison was just a no-name who would never have a better game.....ever.....oops - :oops:

I believe it was Trevor Pryce. It is funny that I struggled to think of his name. I knew it was the Raven d-lineman who used to be good on the Broncos years ago but has sucked for the past several seasons in Baltimore.

Iron Shiek
01-29-2010, 12:26 PM
- Pick 6 for TD, then BLASTING Jim Kelly in the end zone on the blitz, forcing a fumble and a Gerald Williams TD.

- He called out the refs "cheating us" and you watch America's Game he talks about this. He said he was so mad he (Yes Joey Porter) could not talk!!! He goes on to sack Peyton Manning on 3rd and 4th down to ALMOST seal victory

- it's a shame he only played the first half of this game. Amazing 1 handed INT. But his tackle for a loss where he ran 15 yards in a nanosecond to tackle Chris Johnson?? for a 6 yard loss was simply a sign of good things to come this year (well, though we thought).

Sid...that was the first game I thought of when I thought of Polamalu. His impact in that game was outstanding.

After thinking more though...the AFCC game vs the Ravens...he was all over the field that day, played tough and sealed it with this:

[youtube:vmkzx6lr]UnJwAvvUTc8[/youtube:vmkzx6lr]

proudpittsburgher
01-29-2010, 12:45 PM

Sid...that was the first game I thought of when I thought of Polamalu. His impact in that game was outstanding.

After thinking more though...the AFCC game vs the Ravens...he was all over the field that day, played tough and sealed it with this:

[youtube:3haoyawu]UnJwAvvUTc8[/youtube:3haoyawu]

My wonderful wife called that pick right before the snap. I was pacing, like I always do, and was thinkign the worst, when she calmly said "Troy's fgonna get an interception right here. I smugly said, yea right, I how you're right, then it happened. :Boobs Love my wife. Just sayin'

SteelHead
01-29-2010, 12:52 PM
January 11th , 2008 - TROY POLAMALU

Troy has had a lot of great moments in his career so It was really hard to come up with what might be his signature game. I chose the 2008 AFC Championship game. Maybe because it's so fresh in my mind but definetely because he was a beast that day.

https://ssl.post-gazette.com/store/photos/large/Polamalu%20tackle%20WM.jpg
Who can forget the "Superman" dive over the pile that he timed just right as he always seems to do to stop Flacco on a crucial short conversion attempt.

http://nflsteelers.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/polamalu-sacks-flacco.jpg
"Hey Joe !" , "Had enough of me today ? "
Troy blitzing is like a heat seeking missle. Locate and destroy.

http://www.troypolamalufan.com/photo%20gallery%20pages/AFC%20Championship%209.jpg
What a pick. Does it get any more timely than this ?

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/polamalu-interception.jpg
But Troy certainly didn't take a knee.....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/SzDMGFSJdhI/AAAAAAAAZ-U/cSmR6-4QYzc/s400/troy-polamalu.jpg
Instead he took it to the house. Man was that stadium rockin.....

http://19.media.tumblr.com/Q8QIWAF5wjt74nssOXhj4lbho1_500.jpg
Great game Troy ! You were a huge part of that win.
Here's to having a healthy Troy for 2010.

SteelAbility
01-29-2010, 01:16 PM
I was having a really bad day last week - and towards the end of the evening I broke out a DVD of the Steelers 2005 Season. As I'm sitting there watching a (seemingly) much younger Ben Roethlisberger, a (I can't believe it's been five seasons without) Jerome Bettis, a fresh fast Willie Parker....and of course finally a MVP Hines Ward - I started thinking about asking PlanetSteelers about their most memorable games for individual players.

For instance was the snowy Chicago game THE game that defined Jerome Bettis. Not necessarily the best statistical game, not necessarily a game the Steelers won - but if you had to think of games that defined certain players (i.e. Hines Ward, Joey Porter, Casey Hampton...etc) what games immediately come to mind for you?

For me there are certain games that stick out for certain players, but I thought I'd ask Planet Steelers what they thought - especially for a player like Hines Ward - who has served for so long as a Steeler - yet I'm having trouble pinpointing his "most memorable" game.

So I'm requesting you list a player (any Steeler past or present) and share what you consider that player's most memorable game.

I'm going to start us off with most memorable game for Ben Roethlisberger - (and he's had a lot) might just be his playoff game against the Colts in 2006.

The first big surprise in the game is that the Steelers came out passing, and it appeared that the Steelers took the Colts by surprise in the first half. The first six of ten plays were passing plays that resulted in a Touchdown pass (his first of two that day) to Antwaan Randle El.

While Ben only had 197 yards passing that day - he did end up having 2 TD's, while Peyton Manning ended up with only 1 TD.

Ben Roethlisberger, with this win, also became the first QB in the Super Bowl Era to reach the conference championship in his first two seasons in the league. Interesting that you don't hear fact very often?

http://www.6magazineonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/ben-roethlisberger-nick-harper.jpg

Ben has certainly had any number of memorable games - however this one may go down as one of his best, probably because he was only in his second season - and this was a Super Bowl run in which we were the 6th seed.

Troy Polamalu is another difficult player to determine his best day - but I'll wait to see what Planet Steelers have to say.

L.B.

Who would have thought a QB would make THE best defensive play of the entire 05 season playoffs? :tt2

sling it
01-30-2010, 04:30 AM
Lonbull - THANKS for that pic of Ben's tackle in the '06 divisional game. It's the best one I've seen of that play.

BR - The '06 divisional game against the Colts. They did NOT expect the Steelers to come out throwin' and Ben did a great job. Then in the 3rd JB became an Air Bus. :Clap

TP - The '09 AFC championship game against the Ravens. I fell to my knees when he picked off that pass and ran it back to secure the W. Thanks, Troy.

Djfan
01-30-2010, 11:40 PM
My first live Steelers game was in San Diego, December 1980. It was the last game of the season and the Chargers took the game no problem.

But, we were the reigning world champs at the time, and ALL and I mean ALL of the big names were there. At half time I was above the tunnel where the Steelers were going into. I yelled to Rocky Blier and he looked up and waived. For a 16 year old it was amazing.

Yup I saw them all live. Forever in my top 10 list.