PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Gholston - Real head scratcher

jj28west
01-28-2010, 06:45 AM
I had him going mid 1st round which I thought was a no brainer at the time. All the natural athletic gifts in the world but has not translated to the NFL.

Do you think we can coach/develop his raw unpolished skills into a contributing component on defense?

The more I read the more it looks like he will be dropped. Looks like he does not fit the Ryan mold.

MeetJoeGreene
01-28-2010, 08:56 AM
We struck gold with our last pickup of a Jets cast-off, "bust" linebacker....

stlrz d
01-28-2010, 09:38 AM
I thought he would be the next Mike Mamula.

steelblood
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
If you watched him play at Ohio State, you wouldn't have been so high on him. For his athleticism, he has consistently underachieved.

That said, if he'll come in on the cheap, I'm all for giving him a shot.

Jom112
01-28-2010, 11:40 AM
I remember Warren Sapp on NFL Network saying that Gholston is a afraid of contact. Which could explain why someone with his abilities can't get anything done in the NFL...

Shawn
01-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Gholston is an athletic marvel. The problem? You can't teach heart. He plays for a paycheck...doesn't want to dominate. He has been a huge disappointment.

With all of that said...would I take him? lol...oh yes. He has so much talent and upside that I would be hoping the Steeler atmosphere would be good for him...encourage him...give him a little heart...love for the game.

NW Steeler
01-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Gholston is an athletic marvel. The problem? You can't teach heart. He plays for a paycheck...doesn't want to dominate. He has been a huge disappointment.

With all of that said...would I take him? lol...oh yes. He has so much talent and upside that I would be hoping the Steeler atmosphere would be good for him...encourage him...give him a little heart...love for the game.

I like your mock Shawn, it covers a lot of bases with some good potential.

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Gholston looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane...no thanks.

Shawn
01-28-2010, 02:47 PM

Thanks...I would love for it to work out like that. I'm just not sure Pouncey will make it to our second round pick. Many people are saying he is the most well rounded center to come out in years. I think he will dominate. The guy can also pull with the best in the game.

NW Steeler
01-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Thanks...I would love for it to work out like that. I'm just not sure Pouncey will make it to our second round pick. Many people are saying he is the most well rounded center to come out in years. I think he will dominate. The guy can also pull with the best in the game.

That is why I think if Thomas, Iupati and Bulaga are gone at #18, maybe we trade down...but we would then have to turn around and trade up in the second, so I am not sure how that would work out.

Shawn
01-28-2010, 03:44 PM
[quote=Shawn]Gholston is an athletic marvel. The problem? You can't teach heart. He plays for a paycheck...doesn't want to dominate. He has been a huge disappointment.

That is why I think if Thomas, Iupati and Bulaga are gone at #18, maybe we trade down...but we would then have to turn around and trade up in the second, so I am not sure how that would work out.[/quote:2kx8dyi9]

Agreed...I love the idea of trading down and picking up Pouncey and an extra (2-4) pick. That's where the meat of the DB talent lies.

NJ-STEELER
01-28-2010, 03:57 PM
in that other thread, the lions staff is prasing Iupati.

i'll take their 2nd pick (high second) and whatever else thrown in to equal the value, hopefully they have more then one 3rd rder

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2010, 04:26 PM

i'll take their 2nd pick (high second) and whatever else thrown in to equal the value, hopefully they have more then one 3rd rder

I think their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th is roughly equivalent to our 1st and 6th.

NJ-STEELER
01-28-2010, 05:58 PM

even better

D Rock
01-28-2010, 07:56 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":2nhd7nsc]in that other thread, the lions staff is prasing Iupati.

even better[/quote:2nhd7nsc]

they need all the draft picks they can get. They would be very foolish to trade away a 2, 3, and 4 at one time. Then again, they are the Lions....

But in all seriousness, it's a lot more likely that a good team will trade multiple picks for a guy they covet. A trade back to a late first could happen, but an early second...probably not so much.

Shoe
01-28-2010, 08:20 PM
The thing against him finally emerging is that he can't do the job that he's most apt to do: rush the passer. Especially with Rex Ryan, he's bound to get lots of opportunities to rush, with a lot coming vs. a back or TE (cuz of the confusion). AND HE STILL COULDN'T GET ON THE FIELD.

I wouldn't take him.

jj28west
01-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Its easy for me to say but it has to bother you being ripped in the New York Media as a bust or "lacks desire or heart". You would think that he would feed on this.

Having said that (although I am not proud to say this) I would wish an opposing player would insult Timmons to make him play angry for 60 minutes every week.

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Tannenbaum: Jets will keep Gholston, Jones is less certain

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 28, 2010 6:03 PM ET

Mark Sanchez's possible knee injury isn't the only item of Jets news coming out of Alabama Thursday. Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum held court on a variety of topics. We could stretch them out into a bunch of posts for pageviews, but that would be selfish. The quotes are courtesy of the Newark Star-Ledger.

Vernon Gholston will be back. With no salary cap, there was thought the team would just get rid of him now. Tannenbaum on Gholston: "I have no objective information that the guy doesn't love football."

While the most disappointing player on the team will be back, one of its leaders, running back Thomas Jones, may be gone. "We hope that he's back," Tannenbaum said before admitted that economic issues could get in the way. Jones is owed a $3 million roster bonus in March and a $2 million salary. Translation: he's not getting all that money.

Like Braylon Edwards, Leon Washington will get tendered as a restricted free agent. The lack of a collective bargaining agreement could allow the Jets and Washington to avoid tricky long-term contract negotiations while he recovers from a major injury
Tannenbaum expects Kerry Rhodes back. The buzz on this has changed quite a bit within the last week.