PDA

View Full Version : Steelers expected to re-sign DT Hampton, S Clark

SteelCrazy
01-27-2010, 10:58 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/27/steeler ... n-s-clark/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/27/steelers-expected-to-re-sign-dt-hampton-s-clark/)

The Pittsburgh Steelers have made retaining DT Casey Hampton and S Ryan Clark an offseason priority and neither player is expected to hit the open market, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. This yearís free-agent class is already shaping up to be thin due to the absence of a CBA extension at this point, and the best prospects will be further limited as teams negotiate new deals with key free agents between now and March.

The Steelers began exploratory talks with Clark before the season, and it would be very surprising if they did not come to a deal in the coming weeks. Clark is coming off what may have been his best season, with Troy Polamalu out for much of the year. In the mean time, the team is likely to let another free agent safety, Tyrone Carter, hit the market.

Hamptonís weight issues have given the team concern at times, but he again was an anchor on defense in 2009. Given Hamptonís age ó he will be playing his 10th season in 2010 ó and the possibility the sides cannot agree on a long-term deal, the team could always end up using a franchise designation on him as well. Last year, the franchise tag for DTs was only roughly $6 million (Hampton earned aproximately $3.1 million in 2009) and though that figure will rise, it remains low compared to many other positions.

Also, if there is no new CBA, clubs can utilize an extra franchise designation in 2010, another tool that would restrict the quantity and quality of players to hit the market.

plainnasty
01-28-2010, 12:07 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/27/steelers-expected-to-re-sign-dt-hampton-s-clark/

The Pittsburgh Steelers have made retaining DT Casey Hampton and S Ryan Clark an offseason priority and neither player is expected to hit the open market, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. This yearís free-agent class is already shaping up to be thin due to the absence of a CBA extension at this point, and the best prospects will be further limited as teams negotiate new deals with key free agents between now and March.

The Steelers began exploratory talks with Clark before the season, and it would be very surprising if they did not come to a deal in the coming weeks. Clark is coming off what may have been his best season, with Troy Polamalu out for much of the year. In the mean time, the team is likely to let another free agent safety, Tyrone Carter, hit the market.

Hamptonís weight issues have given the team concern at times, but he again was an anchor on defense in 2009. Given Hamptonís age ó he will be playing his 10th season in 2010 ó and the possibility the sides cannot agree on a long-term deal, the team could always end up using a franchise designation on him as well. Last year, the franchise tag for DTs was only roughly $6 million (Hampton earned aproximately $3.1 million in 2009) and though that figure will rise, it remains low compared to many other positions.

Also, if there is no new CBA, clubs can utilize an extra franchise designation in 2010, another tool that would restrict the quantity and quality of players to hit the market.

"Clark is coming off what may have been his best season, with Troy Polamalu out for much of the year."

He lost me with that.

pfelix73
01-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Where are you lost? I'll come find you.....

:tt1

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2010, 01:42 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/27/steelers-expected-to-re-sign-dt-hampton-s-clark/

"Clark is coming off what may have been his best season, with Troy Polamalu out for much of the year."

He lost me with that.

Great minds must think alike because that's the sentence that caught my attention also. I actually thought that the absence of Troy back there for most of the season exposed Ryan Clark as an average safety at best.

SteelTorch
01-28-2010, 02:21 AM
Sign Hampton? But I thought we were moving to the 4-3! :stirpot

D Rock
01-28-2010, 02:26 AM
This writer has zero credit in my book. All he did was look at Clark's stats to make that statement.

Career highs in solo tackles, total tackles, INT, and PD.

That's not hard to do when you're previous highs were 3 interceptions and 6 PD as a FREE SAFETY!

And the tackles? Polamalu wasn't there to make them, and Tyrone Carter sure wasn't going to do it. Clark racked up those numbers almost by default.

Oviedo
01-28-2010, 08:55 AM

It will cost us close to $6M a year not to make that move for a 30+ year old player who has questinable motivation when not in a contract year. That is called risky.

That will be $6M that will not be available to resign Woodley, Colon or Holmes. All of whom are significantly more valuable to this team in the future than Hampton.

Northern_Blitz
01-28-2010, 11:15 AM
That will be $6M that will not be available to resign Woodley, Colon or Holmes. All of whom are significantly more valuable to this team in the future than Hampton.

People have to remember that there is no cap. Bringing a player in on a high $ one year contract doesn't have the same negative impact this year as it might have in the past.

For example, say the Steelers are choosing between a 4 year $16M contract and a 1 year $6M contract. One of the down sides to the Tag before was that it forced all the salary into one year, meaning that you couldn't spend that money that year on someone else. The team would save money in total on the tag contract (even for 2 years @ $6M), but in the past that may have meant getting rid of another piece of the puzzle. That's not necessarily true with no cap (although I'm sure the Rooney's will continue to be responsible).

ikestops85
01-28-2010, 01:10 PM
I wonder if the steelers can "front load" some of these contracts so the bulk of the salary hits the 2010 uncapped year and then have the remaining years more cap friendly? Does anybody know if this possible?

NW Steeler
01-28-2010, 01:23 PM
At this point, I think that they almost have to re-sign Hampton. But what is the minimum number of years that he would accept? Clark may be a must to re-sign as well as we have no other options. But boy, they better get their back-ups and eventual replacements in place here pretty quick. Something has to be done in the secondary. Letting Carter go may be addition by subtraction. But what is going to happen at CB? I am a little nervous about the future of Keenan Lewis there as well since he did not touch the field in 09'. It sure would be nice if both Burnett and Lewis showed that they were ready for "primetime". Maybe Keenan moves to FS in a couple of years like some have indicated around here. They will definitely need to add a couple of guys to the secondary in this draft. Damn, it seems like we need everything in this draft!

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2010, 02:41 PM
At this point, I think that they almost have to re-sign Hampton. But what is the minimum number of years that he would accept? Clark may be a must to re-sign as well as we have no other options. But boy, they better get their back-ups and eventual replacements in place here pretty quick. Something has to be done in the secondary. Letting Carter go may be addition by subtraction. But what is going to happen at CB? I am a little nervous about the future of Keenan Lewis there as well since he did not touch the field in 09'. It sure would be nice if both Burnett and Lewis showed that they were ready for "primetime". Maybe Keenan moves to FS in a couple of years like some have indicated around here. They will definitely need to add a couple of guys to the secondary in this draft. Damn, it seems like we need everything in this draft!

Why do you say that? All we need are OL, DL, CB, FS, SS, ILB, OLB, FB, RB, TE and WR...did I miss anything? :lol:

feltdizz
01-28-2010, 03:07 PM

It will cost us close to $6M a year not to make that move for a 30+ year old player who has questinable motivation when not in a contract year. That is called risky.

Is that really true? People keep saying this but I think Tomlin picked an easy target to prove a point.. he picked on the fat guy.

Casey isn't questionable... A. Smith is questionable.

feltdizz
01-28-2010, 03:12 PM
This writer has zero credit in my book. All he did was look at Clark's stats to make that statement.

Career highs in solo tackles, total tackles, INT, and PD.

That's not hard to do when you're previous highs were 3 interceptions and 6 PD as a FREE SAFETY!

And the tackles? Polamalu wasn't there to make them, and Tyrone Carter sure wasn't going to do it. Clark racked up those numbers almost by default.

I won't use last season as proof Clark sucks..
It's a reason I would use to not pay top dollar for him though...

Oviedo
01-28-2010, 03:19 PM

Why do you say that? All we need are OL, DL, CB, FS, SS, ILB, OLB, FB, RB, TE and WR...did I miss anything? :lol:

Don't need OLB, TE and FB (because we don't use them). Pretty much a pick in the other areas would be good.

The curse of having a defensive scheme few can understand is haunting us.

NW Steeler
01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
I see no need to draft a WR, unless it is a late pick that could be a sleeper.

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2010, 03:39 PM

On the other hand, the curse of having a defensive scheme few can understand was haunting opposing offenses in 2005, 2008, and most other years aside from last season...

For years, our defensive scheme was excellent at confusing offenses. Now all of a sudden, based on one injury-ravaged season, that scheme is too confusing for our own players to understand.

For someone who seems to be so impatient that you are basing your draft preferences on who would be able to contribute the soonest, it seems illogical to want to scrap our entire defense and start over. How long would it take until we were able to totally convert and build a formidable 4-3 defense? Longer than it would be to develop a new NT or FS, that's for sure.

SteelTorch
01-28-2010, 04:57 PM

Do I get to say, "We told you so" yet? :P

But for the record, I'm not all that excited about re-signing Casey Hampton either. I think his best years are behind him, and if the Steelers are smart, they won't sign him to a long-term deal. My guess is they're keeping him around so they can fix other holes on the defense before re-stocking the line.

Oviedo
01-28-2010, 05:19 PM

On the other hand, the curse of having a defensive scheme few can understand was haunting opposing offenses in 2005, 2008, and most other years aside from last season...

For years, our defensive scheme was excellent at confusing offenses. Now all of a sudden, based on one injury-ravaged season, that scheme is too confusing for our own players to understand.

For someone who seems to be so impatient that you are basing your draft preferences on who would be able to contribute the soonest, it seems illogical to want to scrap our entire defense and start over. How long would it take until we were able to totally convert and build a formidable 4-3 defense? Longer than it would be to develop a new NT or FS, that's for sure.

I'm not impatient, I just realize that there are systemic issues with our defense that won't vanish with "Troy and Aaron just showing up." Many assume it will be 2008 again if those two players just show up even though both have shown durability concerns over the past several years.

My view:

1. We are essentially forced to being held hostage this off season by our NT because the 3-4 requires a unique type of player for NT that are difficult to find and therefoire excessively expensive. Simple supply and demand economics that are getting worse as more teams play the 3-4 defense.
2. We can't get production in other positions by young players because either the defense is too complex or we have coaches who can't teach it. This leads to an aging defensive line and lack of depth in the LB corps and secondary.

NorthCoast
01-29-2010, 07:07 PM
I used to think that Hampton was a must-resign but I dunno now. Casey was in on only 57% of defensive snaps this season (and in some games he was close to being in only 1 in 3 snaps). Compare that with a guy like Jay Ratliff who play nearly 75% of defensive snaps.
A franchise tag makes Casey a top-5 paid player and that is a lot of coin for a not-every-down player.