PDA

View Full Version : BRING BACK JOEY!

Chadman
01-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Chadman will just say it again- bring back Joey Porter for next season.

Use him as a situational player- either ILB or OLB, have him spell Timmons, Farrior, Harrison or Woodley as required.

Put him on the field for situational mismatches as required.

Let him be the vocal locker room leader.

Bring back his attitude, his winning demeanor.

Let him retire a Steeler.

Watching him, he hasn't lost that much, he is still a viable player in the NFL.

Who would you rather see on the field- Porter or Andre Frazier?

NW Steeler
01-27-2010, 07:08 PM
If you can get Joey to come back for Frazier money, then yeah, you bet!!

Chadman
01-27-2010, 07:10 PM

No salary cap next year...so what does it matter?

NW Steeler
01-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Good point, I forgot about that. But Rooney has said publicly that they will treat next year like any other as far as the cap goes.

Shawn
01-27-2010, 07:16 PM
If he will come back reasonable...I'm down.

Chadman
01-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Good point, I forgot about that. But Rooney has said publicly that they will treat next year like any other as far as the cap goes.

If he holds to that, it's probably at his, and the Steelers, detriment.

Can you imagine other teams that can make a push for the SB sit back & say "We won't spend much more than normal" if a player or two come open on FA that they feel can give them that extra edge?

Teams like the Patriots for example?

Surely Porter wouldn't break the bank at this stage of his career anyway.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-27-2010, 08:06 PM
I would take Porter back in a heartbeat.

hawaiiansteel
01-27-2010, 08:13 PM
I would take Porter back in a heartbeat.

but would he come back at a reduced salary and role on the team? I'm not sure his ego could handle it.

phillyesq
01-27-2010, 08:19 PM
The fan in me loves the idea. The realist in me says it doesn't make sense.

1) I can't imagine Porter accepting a backup role.

2) Backup LBs need to contribute on special teams; I can't imagine Porter covering kicks at this stage in his career.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-27-2010, 08:30 PM
The fan in me loves the idea. The realist in me says it doesn't make sense.

1) I can't imagine Porter accepting a backup role.

2) Backup LBs need to contribute on special teams; I can't imagine Porter covering kicks at this stage in his career.

$$$

Steel Life
01-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Ummm - no.

This defense is old & the time has come to determine the next generation of defenders & we need to develop depth. I'm expecting at least two to three draft picks & at least two quality FA signings on the defensive side of the ball (goodbye Townsend & Carter). Besides, Porter is not worth the trouble, he can't back up what he says anymore (see the Patriots game this year) & there are different leaders on this team, to bring him in would undermine the ones we have. And remember, Rooney said he wanted to see more action from our draft choices, so opportunities will be limited. I appreciate everything he gave us & how he still bleeds Black & Gold underneath, but we need to continue moving in a new direction.

ghettoscott
01-27-2010, 09:54 PM

always been a fan of Peeze...i would love to see him come back. IMO, Wood and Timmons would benefit from Peezy getting the team amped up pre-game. Dont get me wrong, i dig Harrison's quiet, no-nonsense approach...but sometimes you need that cat that pumps up the locker room and gets the foam going.

"THEY SHOT ME IN DENVER; YOUWAAAAAANUNNNNN!!!!"

steelblood
01-28-2010, 08:37 AM
He wants out of Miami because they took him out of the starting role. I don't think he'd come here for the same thing. Besides Miami would insist that we take his contract, which is a little redunkulous considering his age.

Oviedo
01-28-2010, 08:49 AM

It matters because the Rooney's still run a business with desires for operating in the black. Don't forget that the team took on a huge debt load to buy out the other Rooney brothers. Servicing that debt is now an additional expense moving forward that did not exist before this year. That money has to come from something, e.g. either operating budget or profit. Since the Rooney's are not one of the oil or internet billionaires with huge sources of outside wealth I bet it won't come from profit.

This is why being players in free agency even in an uncapped season is a pipe dream. This will likely eventually also effect keeping our own free agents, e.g. Hampton, Colon, Clark.

I said when it happened that the Rooney's taking on that debt will long-term prove to be akin to winning the battle but losing the war.

But I digress: No thanks to Porter.

Iron Shiek
01-28-2010, 09:19 AM

always been a fan of Peeze...i would love to see him come back. IMO, Wood and Timmons would benefit from Peezy getting the team amped up pre-game. Dont get me wrong, i dig Harrison's quiet, no-nonsense approach...but sometimes you need that cat that pumps up the locker room and gets the foam going.

"THEY SHOT ME IN DENVER; YOUWAAAAAANUNNNNN!!!!"
WHO RIDE!!??

papillon
01-28-2010, 10:51 AM

Use him as a situational player- either ILB or OLB, have him spell Timmons, Farrior, Harrison or Woodley as required.

Put him on the field for situational mismatches as required.

Watching him, he hasn't lost that much, he is still a viable player in the NFL.

Who would you rather see on the field- Porter or Andre Frazier?

The Steelers are kind of old already, I'm not sure they need to take on another 30 something football player even in a reduced role. Find some young talent that can be depth and special teams players.

Pappy

Chadman
01-28-2010, 10:54 AM

It matters because the Rooney's still run a business with desires for operating in the black. Don't forget that the team took on a huge debt load to buy out the other Rooney brothers. Servicing that debt is now an additional expense moving forward that did not exist before this year. That money has to come from something, e.g. either operating budget or profit. Since the Rooney's are not one of the oil or internet billionaires with huge sources of outside wealth I bet it won't come from profit.

This is why being players in free agency even in an uncapped season is a pipe dream. This will likely eventually also effect keeping our own free agents, e.g. Hampton, Colon, Clark.

I said when it happened that the Rooney's taking on that debt will long-term prove to be akin to winning the battle but losing the war.

But I digress: No thanks to Porter.

Haha....Chadman is sure the Rooney's have their finances under control.

That being said, if the Rooney's seriously want to compete in an uncapped competition, they can't be frugal. You guys might not follow the English Premier League as much as we do over here, a completely uncapped competition that has 4-5 POWER teams that are the only realistic options to win it every year. They spend, and spend big, every year. The teams that try to be frugal, they might hold on & look good for a little while, but inevitably, they slide into relegation & obscurity all too soon.

If the NFL remains uncapped, the Rooney's either need to spend, or sell. Otherwise the Steelers will sink. Put your money on it. If the NFL is only uncapped, realistically, for a year or two, the Rooneys have a golden opportunity to win a couple of Super Bowls by spending a bit more than normal now, and adding a few extra pieces to an already strong team. Don't for a second think that teams like Dallas & New England are not thinking about doing this.

Of course, any amount of concern anyone might have for the billionaire Rooney family's finances, and how they can possibly afford to feed themselves in todays financial climate, has zero to do with the idea that Joey Porter could, in fact, help the Steelers if he could return. The fact that there is no Salary Cap gives the Steelers a great opportunity to grab a player of Porter's ability & 'carry' him for the lack of a better word, and use him to create mismatches.

If the Steelers, or any other team, decides that they need to be super careful in how they pay for their team's players in an uncapped NFL, you should probably get the red pen out now & put a line through them for next season (and perhaps beyond if it stays uncapped), because the aggressive richer teams are going to be chasing the best talent in order to win games- and not just in the Dan Snyder "buy a big name & celebrate" type fashion- in a more ruthless, deliberate, aggressive win at all costs fashion, a la the Chelsea's, Man United's & Man City's of the English Premier League.

It's a brave new world we enter.

So bring back Porter..at least he's going to put a smile on a face or two.. :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Sign Joey Porter. Sign Levi Jones. Invite Hard Knocks to Latrobe. Watch the hilarity ensue.

:P

AngryAsian
01-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Chadman, normally I'm on board with your sentiments, and you make a valid point with regards to having an emotional leader on the field on D... something we lacked this season.... but this D needs to get younger and not older. I'll have to pass on this one.

ikestops85
01-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Sorry but Joey was pretty much done his last 2 years in steeltown as a player. Aside from the 2005 playoffs Porter was a non-factor except against the worst LTs in the league.

Porter has been a good motivator but that is what we pay Tomlin and company to do. If Tomlin wants to hire Peezey as a coach then I am all for it but as a player I have to just say NO!

SteelAbility
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Bring back Porter and let's order some more Geritol. :moon :P

feltdizz
01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Bring back 96 hip hop and cassette tapes!

oops.. my bad, I got caught up in the past.

Peezy? Thanks but No Thanks... we should send him our schedule and ask him to make a DVD or ipod classics for pre game hype.

Chadman
01-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Ahh...fools! You're all wrong!!!

:tt1

The Man of Steel
01-28-2010, 06:45 PM
I have a Joey Porter jersey that I retired from wearing after he left the Steelers so I'd like to see him come back just so I can put it back on for one more season.