PDA

View Full Version : The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

NorthCoast
01-26-2010, 11:47 PM
The individual stats tell the Jekyl and Hyde tale of this team:

Cornerbacks
Gay was thrown at 105 times and allowed 2 out of 3 (67%) passes completed (this put him at the 7th most target CB. Ike was thrown at 98 times and allowed 58.2% completion. (oh, and for those that miss B. McFadden, ranked 5th most targeted and allowed 57.8% completion).

Gay allowed 260 YACs (16th worst). Ike allowed 178 YACs (45th worst) (McFadden, 6th worst at 303).

Gay had 69 tackles (#3), Ike had 56 (23rd ).

Gay had 9 missed tackles (9th worst), Ike with 5 (ranked 43th worst). You might be surprised that A. Samuels was worst with 19 missed tackles (McFadden only had 3).

Wide Receivers
In contrast to our CBs, our WR trio is second only to ARZ’s in the league.

Holmes was 5th best in YACs with 500 yds, Ward was 9th with 432.
Holmes was 8th best in YAC/rec at 6.3 yds, Ward was 33rd with 4.5 yds per, and Wallace at 50th, at 3.4 yds per.

Hines was 6th in catching 73.6% of passes thrown to him. Holmes was 34th catching 62.2%, and Wallace was 57th catching 54.9%. (those that missed Nate W., 63rd at 52.8% completion.)

Holmes ranked 6th in number of tackles broken or avoided with 12. Ward was 7th, with 11.

Mike Wallace #1 in the league at an incredible 19.4 yds/rec, Holmes was no slouch at 15.8 yds (#13), and Hines had 12.3 yds/rec (#55).

Linebackers
Our linebackers are built to stop the passing game:

Lawrence Timmons was 4th best in completions allowed by ILB (65.8%). Farrior was 18th best at 76.8%. (for those that missed L. Foote, …ranked 11th worst, allowing 80.5% completion rate).

Farrior was 7th worst in YACs allowed, totaling 432 yds, Timmons was 27th worst allowing 270 YACs.

Timmons was 8th best in allowing 10.8 yds/rec, Farrior was 16th best at 10 yds/rec.

Farrior ranked #1 in the league for ILBs with 16 QB ‘pressures’, Timmons was 2nd with 14.

Farrior was credited with 49 total stops (solo tackles, sacks) to be ranked 16th best, Timmons had 37 stops, ranking 26th in the league. (Foote was 8th with 53 stops).
Both Farrior and Timmons ranked 14th worst in the league with 9 missed tackles each.

Among OLB in a 3-4 defense, Lamarr Woodley was 3rd in the league with 15 QB hits and 4th with 31 QB ‘pressures’. Harrison ranked 5th with 13 QB hits, and 3rd with 34 QB pressures.

James Harrison was #1 OLB for offensive ‘stops’ (solo tackles + sacks) totaling 49. Woodley ranked 5th with 34 stops.

Offensive Line
We have a real mixed bag on our OL:

Justin Hartwig was the worst center in the league in allowing 7 QB sacks (of course, we know it is really Ben’s fault).

Hartwig was 7th worst center allowing 4 QB ‘hits’ and 2nd worst allowing a total of 15 QB ‘pressures’.

Willie Colon was 12th worst OT with 9 penalties against. Colon was 11th best in fewest allowed QB hits with 4 , and #1!!!!! in the league allowing only 6 QB ‘pressures’.

Max Starks was 23rd , allowing 19 QB pressures. Starks was 36th in allowing 8 QB ‘hits’ (same as Michael Oher). Starks was 2nd worst in allowing 9 QB sacks.

Special Teams
(players in at least 8 games):
Key Fox was 7th best, credited with 15 ST tackles.

Jeff Reed was 4th worst kicker with 94% of kicks returned. Reed was dead last in max. hang time of 4.2 sec and dead last with avg 60.6 yds per kick-off and dead last with fewest touchbacks (triple yoi!!!!, ….do you still want to resign Reed????).

Reed was 11th in percentage field goals made at 87.1%.

Sepulveda was 15th best in % of punts returned at 45.8%.

While Stephan Logan did not have as many “splash plays” as Josh Cribbs, his overall combined kick and punt return averages ranked him #1 in the league. (imagine what he might do if our STs could actually throw a block…)

Given these stats I think it is easy to see why the Steelers were inconsistent throughout the season. We have real pieces of excellence and real pieces of mediocrity.

hawaiiansteel
01-27-2010, 12:06 AM
actually, I don't miss Larry Foote nor Bryant McFadden. the Cardinals paid a lot of money to Bmac, they can't be happy with the way he played this year.

of course, us Steelers fans aren't too happy with how Bmacs replacements played either...

Lonbull
01-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Northcoast -

Where did you acquire these stats?

In regards to our Center situation versus our Cornerback Situation -

I believe we'll pass on drafting or picking up a free agent CB because we drafted two young Corners last year and because I believe William Gay may still have a chance to improve - our defense is not an easy one to grasp and I do believe that Gay can be as effective as Deshea Townsend has been.

However with our Center position we've been using patchwork for some time now - and let's not forget we got Hartwig only because he had been cut by the Panthers and wasn't as bad as Mahan.

I like the Steelers to pick up a Center in the first two rounds this season - helps our running game and hopefully helps keep Ben from taking so many hits.

L.B.

hawaiiansteel
01-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Northcoast -

In regards to our Center situation versus our Cornerback Situation -

I believe we'll pass on drafting or picking up a free agent CB because we drafted two young Corners last year and because I believe William Gay may still have a chance to improve - our defense is not an easy one to grasp and I do believe that Gay can be as effective as Deshea Townsend has been.

However with our Center position we've been using patchwork for some time now - and let's not forget we got Hartwig only because he had been cut by the Panthers and wasn't as bad as Mahan.

I like the Steelers to pick up a Center in the first two rounds this season - helps our running game and hopefully helps keep Ben from taking so many hits.

L.B.

The only center likely to be drafted in the top two rounds this year is Maurkice Pouncey from Florida in the 2nd round...I think that would be a good value pick and also fill a need as I'm not sold on Stapleton, Legursky or Urbik as Hartwig's replacement.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-27-2010, 09:10 AM
...(oh, and for those that miss B. McFadden, ranked 5th most targeted and allowed 57.8% completion)....

BMac was what helped us win against the Colts in the 2005 playoff game, but it seems absolutely nuts to think the Steelers should have kept him last year for the money he wanted. Can't understand the logic behind his fan club that says we made the wrong decision.

Linebackers
Our linebackers are built to stop the passing game:...

Except on 3rd and long, obviously. :twisted: :HeadBanger

Jeff Reed was 4th worst kicker with 94% of kicks returned. Reed was dead last in max. hang time of 4.2 sec and dead last with avg 60.6 yds per kick-off and dead last with fewest touchbacks (triple yoi!!!!, ….do you still want to resign Reed????).

Reed was 11th in percentage field goals made at 87.1%.

OMG, these are atrocious. Triple dead last for Reed in very important stats. And then only 11th in FG% (yeah, tough winds at Heinz Field, yadda yadda, gotta remember we would have been in the playoffs if he didn't whiff in Chicago). Remember, we may have lost MORE games than that because of Skippy - short field for the other team, then points, in a close game we otherwise would have won.

I used to think we definitely needed to try to sign him, but based on these stats i wonder if we definitely need to try to unload him ...

This is surprising to me, my gut feeling is that his value to us this year was better than average, which is where 15th would put him. Maybe this isn't the best stat to judge a punter by ... maybe overall punt length, or yards after punt, would be helpful to look at.

While Stephan Logan did not have as many “splash plays” as Josh Cribbs, his overall combined kick and punt return averages ranked him #1 in the league. (imagine what he might do if our STs could actually throw a block…)

And the opposite of Sepulveda, I didn't think Logan was #1 in the league value to us. Happy to have him on the team!

Nice stats, Northcoast!

stlrz d
01-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Not gonna go on my usual tirade about how stats never tell the whole story...y'all should have a pretty thorough understanding of that by now. I would hope anyway.

But I did wanna address SASF's point about Reed. Keep in mind that due to our poor kick coverage -and yes I realize Reed's inability to reach the EZ is a contributing factor- many of Reed's kicks were of the "can of corn" variety. Short, high kicks intentionally designed to allow the coverage time to get to the returner.

So again, stats never yada yada yada.... :wink:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Not gonna go on my usual tirade about how stats never tell the whole story...y'all should have a pretty thorough understanding of that by now. I would hope anyway.

But I did wanna address SASF's point about Reed. Keep in mind that due to our poor kick coverage -and yes I realize Reed's inability to reach the EZ is a contributing factor- many of Reed's kicks were of the "can of corn" variety. Short, high kicks intentionally designed to allow the coverage time to get to the returner.

So again, stats never yada yada yada.... :wink:

d - with bad ST coverage I could understand that strategy (while mumbling under my breath the whole time, "... if he would just get it in the EZ, we wouldn't even be talking about this situation"), but the stats said he was dead last in the league in hang time! So if that were his goal, he didn't do very well at that either!

MaxAMillion
01-27-2010, 09:40 AM
What those stats tell me is that Colon is underrated by most Steeler fans. Colon is our best run blocker. On the other hand, the Steelers should have never been in the situation where they were forced to sign Max Starks. I really wish we could upgrade LT. Unfortunately Starks's contract won't allow it.

frankthetank1
01-27-2010, 12:26 PM
What those stats tell me is that Colon is underrated by most Steeler fans. Colon is our best run blocker. On the other hand, the Steelers should have never been in the situation where they were forced to sign Max Starks. I really wish we could upgrade LT. Unfortunately Starks's contract won't allow it.

how many other starting LT's are better than starks? i wouldnt think all that many. i think starks is pretty solid, he only had one bad game last season. if they need to upgrade any oline positions i would say that would be center and RG

Shawn
01-27-2010, 01:34 PM
So moral of the story McFadden outplayed both of our DBs.

NorthCoast
01-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Northcoast -

L.B.

a friend with a password to a website...

This is surprising to me, my gut feeling is that his value to us this year was better than average, which is where 15th would put him. Maybe this isn't the best stat to judge a punter by ... maybe overall punt length, or yards after punt, would be helpful to look at.

Nice stats, Northcoast!

Sep was 6th in the league with 18 fair catches. He was 8th in punts inside the 20 (29).

I am hesitant to post the following stat because I think it is so highly dependent on the coverage team but Sepulveda was ranked 10th with a net avg return yardage of 36.9. If that seems high keep in mind the #1 punter (C. Hanson) avg'd 34.5 yds, so there is not a huge difference in the top 10 guys.

........:

Then you should enjoy reading the following:

http://dberri.wordpress.com/2006/08/07/the-value-of-player-statistics-in-the-nfl/

While I agree that football stats have very limited capability in predicting future performance, they are useful in describing current or past performance. Besides, by what measure do you decide whether a Hines Ward is better than a Nate Washington....?....at some point you look at a number of some type...in any case we'll just agree to disagree....(if people on the board are truly annoyed with the stats I will quit posting them)

I was pleasantly surprised with an objective view of Colon's play. Although he does have his brainfart moments with penalties, he had quietly put together a nice season.

how many other starting LT's are better than starks? i wouldnt think all that many. i think starks is pretty solid, he only had one bad game last season. if they need to upgrade any oline positions i would say that would be center and RG

I agree. Starks is a relatively cheap LT and so I think we get good value. Hartwig is another story...didn't we sign him from Jacksonville?, and Jacksonville's center Meester actually ranks right down there with Hartwig in a lot of categories so it's not like they moved up the ladder much.

So moral of the story McFadden outplayed both of our DBs.[/quote]

Uhh...not sure I read that conclusion from ALL of their stats. I actually think Gay can be a very serviceable nickel or dime DB. Also keep in mind that McFadden was likely assigned to the #3 WR whereas Gay was often covering a #2 WR.

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Hartwig is another story...didn't we sign him from Jacksonville?

Actually, Hartwig came over from Carolina. They drafted Ryan Kalil in the second round in 2007 as their "center of the future." Kalil will be playing in the Pro Bowl for the NFC squad as a center this weekend (as an injury replacement, but still).

stlrz d
01-27-2010, 10:02 PM
NorthCoast - I agree with this:

So what is the value of player statistics in the NFL? Well, they give us something to talk about. But as measures of the productivity of individual players, it is not clear that these numbers are up to such a task. And that is something to remember next time someone quotes a quarterback’s numbers and tells you how great – or not so great – so and so really is.

Other than that we can agree to disagree. I've got nothing against you personally...I just don't put a tremendous amount of stock in stats telling the whole story in sports because there are too many variables. And too many people see statistical info and take it as the be all, end all, definitive proof of something. Not saying you fit into that category...just saying that it is human nature for people to want a "definitive explanation" of something and for many people when they see stats they take it as that definitive proof.

As Voltaire once said, "If God did not exist it would be necessary to invent him."

Humans want everything explained to them...they don't like mysteries unless the answers are eventually revealed...and revealed quickly!

D Rock
01-28-2010, 02:21 AM
Jeff Reed hitting 87.1% of his kicks is an awesome number.

That's only .1% less than Kaeding's career %, and he's the all-time leader in that category.

Kicking % across the league was WAY up this year. There were a few guys who struggled and got the press, but it was a great year for kickers. Until the postseason.