PDA

View Full Version : Offseason priorities: AFC North

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Offseason priorities: AFC North
Sporting News
Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2010 - 9:23 a.m. ET

Each NFL team has a different priority entering this offseason, and SN correspondents uncover just what each franchise is focusing on for the draft and for the 2010 regular season and beyond.

Baltimore Ravens
Where will they find a No. 1 receiver?
SN says: They'll talk to the Broncos about Brandon Marshall and the Bills about Terrell Owens. If they can't get a legitimate No. 1 receiver via trade or free agency, they'll draft one.
G.M. Ozzie Newsome says: "If there is someone out there available that we think can help our team, we'll take a look. If a receiver is available at a range that we like (the Ravens likely will pick 22nd) and we have rated him high on our draft board, then we'll take him. "

Cincinnati Bengals
How can the Bengals help out QB Carson Palmer? Get him more depth at receiver.
What's the best way to fix the deep passing game?
SN says: Cincinnati has a strong running game and solid defense, but without a consistent deep threat, QB Carson Palmer is handcuffed. WRs Chad Ochocinco and Laveranues Coles are 32, and WRs Andre Caldwell and Jerome Simpson are fast and talented but raw. The team needs a wideout who can stretch defenses.
Coach Marvin Lewis says: "We've done a good job of adjusting, understanding the task at hand and moving the football when we needed to. But we've got to do a better job in the passing game of being able to get the execution done down the field."

Cleveland Browns
Will new team president Mike Holmgren need a new No. 1 quarterback?
SN says: Brady Quinn has West Coast offense traits but must become more accurate. Derek Anderson will get a full review, although he probably is a West Coast misfit. Drafting a quarterback to groom would be a groaner for a win-starved organization, so Holmgren might bring in a veteran, as he did when he traded for Matt Hasselbeck in Seattle.
Holmgren says: "The quarterback question has to be answered down the road, not just by one person but by a group. I know this, that it's very, very important to have your quarterback play well to be successful."

Pittsburgh Steelers
Does the middle of the defense need to get younger?
SN says: Age and depth became issues as 2008's top-ranked defense slipped in '09. Six starters in the season finale were 31 or older, and the team hasn't groomed players behind five-time Pro Bowl NT Casey Hampton, 32, and ILB James Farrior, 35, who had trouble in coverage but has three years left on his contract.
Farrior says: "We've been getting old for a few years now. I think it's all relative. I really don't think about the age issue. My age is getting up there, and I might have lost a step but the mental part of my game helps me."

Mister Pittsburgh
01-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Seems pretty dead on. I think you could go down the middle on the entire team and say we are lacking.

Kemo - Young and solid. I liked seeing him pull this year but it seemed to cause injury to him. If we got a dominant guard that can pull Kemo could possibly go to RG and him and Colon over there might be a nice run blocking combo.

Hartwig - Not a fan. Undersized. Not very powerful. Gets pushed back too often.

Essex/Stapleton - Would this be a solid place to give Ramon Foster the lead at this position? He filled in admirabley for Kemo when Kemo was out. Essex is a free agent (i think) and Stapleton is coming off a year of being placed on the IR before the season got going.

Hampton - I am leaning toward attempting to get a, preferably 2, but don't think he would do it, so lets say 3 year 'club friendly' contract signed up with Casey. Hopefully he will show some loyalty and choose less money for shots at a Superbowl.

Farrior - As mentioned in the article. Not much more to add really.

Timmons - Explosive at times when unleashed. Pretty decent coverage skills. Still lacking in the run stuffing game but that will still come. He is still very young.

Clark/Mundy - Clark is a free agent and had kind of a down year. Probably because Troy wasn't there but maybe for other reasons. He is a free agent & I am debating what to do here. I would honestly like to upgrade over him. Would a first round FS be a smart move here? Mundy didn't impress me in the least this season so not real sure what to say there other than he looks like a backup.

Troy/Tyrone - Best safety in football when healthy, bottom line. Tyrone is old & showed it bigtime. I have pondered if moving Troy to FS to just ballhawk would keep him healthier and look for another stud SS.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Essex is a free agent (i think)

Essex signed a two-year, $1.92 million contract with a $500,000 signing bonus last offseason, so we have him for this coming season, but he will be a free agent again in 2011.

feltdizz
01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Troy/Tyrone - Best safety in football when healthy, bottom line. Tyrone is old & showed it bigtime. I have pondered if moving Troy to FS to just ballhawk would keep him healthier and look for another stud SS.

Troy would be healthier but our D wouldn't be as confusing. Troy causes a ton of problems before the snap and makes a QB and DC work twice as hard in the film room.

He shouldn't be on any ST's though...

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2010, 07:38 PM
I think we may end up drafting both a strong and a free safety.

If we don't bring Ryan Clark back, then FS is a major need with a 1st round pick like Earl Thomas from Texas or a 2nd round pick like Nate Allen South Florida.

Beyond that, if Tyrone Carter does not come back (and I'm sure that there will be plenty of :HeadBanger on this board if he does), we will also need a backup SS behind Troy. It will likely be a day 3 prospect, though, perhaps with one of our compensatory picks...someone like Myron Rolle from Florida State (via Oxford), Kam Chancellor from Virginia Tech, or Barry Church from Toledo.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-26-2010, 09:53 PM
If Dik Lebeau honestly wants Tyrone Carter and Deshea Townsend back after how old and pathetic they played this past season, then Dik Lebeau needs taken to an old folks home to be tested for dementia.

feltdizz
01-26-2010, 11:09 PM
If Dik Lebeau honestly wants Tyrone Carter and Deshea Townsend back after how old and pathetic they played this past season, then Dik Lebeau needs taken to an old folks home to be tested for dementia.

I could see Deshea coming back... We will take a savvy Vet over a youngin unfortunately for our last DB. No way Carter comes back. I will buy a banner to fly over camp if Carter comes back.

hawaiiansteel
01-27-2010, 12:19 AM

I could see Deshea coming back... We will take a savvy Vet over a youngin unfortunately for our last DB. No way Carter comes back. I will buy a banner to fly over camp if Carter comes back.

I'll split the price of the banner with you... :Cheers

Mister Pittsburgh
01-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Deshea showed to be just as worthless as Carter this season. It isn't like when Gay showed he was clueless out there that they brought Deshea in and the situation was fixed. He could never be a starter in this league again.