PDA

View Full Version : Elin calls off divorce

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Elin calls off divorce; Woods daughter's school gets police help
Sporting News
Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2010 - 10:43 a.m. ET

Tiger Woods' wife Elin Nordegren has called off plans to divorce the world's No. 1 golfer.

As the celebrity gossip site reported on Monday, Nordegren was in Mississippi for five days participating in Woods' therapy at a treatment center for sex addiction. She returned to her Orlando home on Sunday.

"She was happy when she came home," a source told RadarOnline.com. "Things went well."

Meanwhile, TMZ reports that the preschool/kindergarten where Woods' daughter Sam is enrolled has hired an Orange County sheriff's officer to ensure the children's safety after several traffic incidents at the school.

Sources say the officer was needed when the media circus surrounding Woods' cheating scandal spread to the school, where paparazzi have camped out hoping to catch a glimpse of Tiger. The officer costs the school $35 an hour.

Jom112
01-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Never understood why someone in Tiger Wood's position would ever get married in the first place.

No offense ladies...

Shawn
01-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Never understood why someone in Tiger Wood's position would ever get married in the first place.

No offense ladies...

Agreed.

feltdizz
01-26-2010, 06:36 PM
It's about time she played her position... She was a freaking nanny...
Did she really think marrying a billionaire and signing a prenup was true love?

I feel bad that she really thought it was true love. Her reaction was classic and Tiger Woods deserved a 9 iron upside his head and Caddi(LOL) for leaving his name on an answering machine. "I swear it's another Tiger not me..."

The whole thing is hilarious.

I also love the decoy at the rehab clinic in Mississippi.. due was black. Tiger said he was Caucablackasian or something like that.

Jigawatts
01-26-2010, 06:46 PM

No offense ladies...

:Agree

feltdizz
01-26-2010, 06:52 PM

No offense ladies...

:Agree

It's American, wholesome.. etc. It's the same reason Hillary is stilled married to Bill and most politicians who get busted have their wives standing next to them. You are frowned on when you are single and a public figure. It's better to be married and a cheater then single and a player from a marketing standpoint.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2010, 06:57 PM
TMZ is reporting that Woods' daughter's preschool needed to hire an officer to ensure the children's safety after several traffic incidents at the school because paparazzi have camped out hoping to catch a glimpse of Tiger, eh?

That is like Dan Snyder reporting on his radio show that NFL salaries have gotten out of hand because team owners fly their private jets to pick up free agents at midnight on the first day of the signing period and offer them nine-figure contracts.

Ghost
01-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Tiger is a world class d!ck. I feel bad for his wife. He made a choice to marry and have multiple children. Be a real man and honor your vows or don't make them in the first place. Don't want to be married then don't be. It's really that simple.

I will never respect him again. And the the 'sex addiction' is the biggest cop out of all time. I notice he wasn't at home trying to have sex with his wife 10 times a day. A weak ploy to try and get suckers to feel sorry for him and accept him again.

He may be a phenominal golfer (possibly the greatest there ever was when he's done) but he's a lousy human being.

feltdizz
01-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Tiger is a world class d!ck. I feel bad for his wife. He made a choice to marry and have multiple children. Be a real man and honor your vows or don't make them in the first place. Don't want to be married then don't be. It's really that simple.

I will never respect him again. And the the 'sex addiction' is the biggest cop out of all time. I notice he wasn't at home trying to have sex with his wife 10 times a day. A weak ploy to try and get suckers to feel sorry for him and accept him again.

He may be a phenominal golfer (possibly the greatest there ever was when he's done) but he's a lousy human being.

Tiger is no worse then the other athletes... Usually the best on the field are the worst off it in everyday settings. The list of faithful high profile athletes or public figures is short. It's easy to talk about commitment when you aren't getting it thrown at you where ever you go.

Looking at some of the chicks I think Tiger does have an addiction. Dude had some booger heads.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-26-2010, 09:38 PM

You don't know any of what you just spouted off as being true. How do you know there was anything about not banging other chicks in his vows? Maybe she knew he was banging other chicks. Maybe he does have a sex addiction. Maybe he tried to bang his wife and she turned him down after having the kids. It happens. My buddy was married to a chick that loved to get it on all the time until they were married, and then had a kid, and then she never wanted to. Is that his fault?

To say someone is a lousy human being for banging chicks is ridiculous, especially when you don't know what was going on in that household.

stlrz d
01-26-2010, 09:56 PM

You should probably do some research on what sex addiction is really all about. It's just like any other addiction. In most cases it's not about what the person is addicted to, be it drugs, alcohol, gambling, sex, the internet, violence, etc...it's about filling a void. Something is missing and an addict fills whatever it is that is missing with their addiction.

Shoe
01-26-2010, 10:03 PM

Ghost,
That is very easy to say; very hard to do (apparently). I'm only human, you are, so is Tiger. Virtually any man that has been in that position has proven to be a cheater on his vows. It's why 99% of Hollywood couples go the way of divorce. It's not necessarily that you or I have better morals than they all do; it's all about access, power, lifestyle.

You or I don't have poontang thrown at us left, right and center. So how can you say? One aspect that you seem to just blow off is that people are swinging on his nuts (figuratively) 24/7. Can you imagine what sense this gives you? You can't; and neither can I.

I'm guessing that it's such a level of power, you feel like you can do anything you want. I mean, I sorta feel the same way you do... but you gotta have some understanding that this is not Ghost and his wife, or Shoe and his wife. It's Tiger F-n Woods. Tang pours out of the sink drain when he wakes up to wash his face in the morning, it falls from the sky when he steps out the front door, and is sitting in between the couch cushions when he comes back home and plops on the sofa.

feltdizz
01-26-2010, 10:54 PM
I agree with Shoe. Its not like a Hollywood couple though where 2 ego's clash. We are talking about a Billionaire and a nanny. There is no equal footing in that kind of relationship. I think the real problem is Tigers marketing was so good we believed he wasn't human.

It's hard to imagine a guy like Tiger being a dog... but if you look at his friends at Nike it's not so hard to believe. it's not like these old golfers aren't spending late nights at the golf club.

Mark Sanford used tax money to go bang a chick in Brazil. At least Tiger is using his own cash. Smashing chicks is one of the rewards of being a star athlete. Marrying a star and letting him smash chicks is a reward for a nanny turned millionaire wife.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-26-2010, 11:00 PM

Ghost,
That is very easy to say; very hard to do (apparently). I'm only human, you are, so is Tiger. Virtually any man that has been in that position has proven to be a cheater on his vows. It's why 99% of Hollywood couples go the way of divorce. It's not necessarily that you or I have better morals than they all do; it's all about access, power, lifestyle.

You or I don't have poontang thrown at us left, right and center. So how can you say? One aspect that you seem to just blow off is that people are swinging on his nuts (figuratively) 24/7. Can you imagine what sense this gives you? You can't; and neither can I.

I'm guessing that it's such a level of power, you feel like you can do anything you want. I mean, I sorta feel the same way you do... but you gotta have some understanding that this is not Ghost and his wife, or Shoe and his wife. It's Tiger F-n Woods. Tang pours out of the sink drain when he wakes up to wash his face in the morning, it falls from the sky when he steps out the front door, and is sitting in between the couch cushions when he comes back home and plops on the sofa.

http://carpoolqueen.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/tang-orange.jpg

:wft

:lol:

feltdizz
01-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Tang! Short for Putang... better than Sunny Delight or the Purple Stuff

hawaiiansteel
01-27-2010, 12:32 AM

You don't know any of what you just spouted off as being true. How do you know there was anything about not banging other chicks in his vows? Maybe she knew he was banging other chicks. Maybe he does have a sex addiction. Maybe he tried to bang his wife and she turned him down after having the kids. It happens. My buddy was married to a chick that loved to get it on all the time until they were married, and then had a kid, and then she never wanted to. Is that his fault?

To say someone is a lousy human being for banging chicks is ridiculous, especially when you don't know what was going on in that household.

let he who is perfect cast the first stone and when you live in a glass house you should not throw stones, so count me out as being able to criticize Tiger or anyone else's life...

i hope he and Elin work it out, especially for the sake of the children.

Ghost
01-27-2010, 10:42 AM
I knew when I posted it would be unpopular. So be it. If expecting a man to honor his wedding vows makes me closed minded; I'm ok with that. I think he's scummy.

Felt - Saying tons of athletes cheat doesn't make it right or make it an excuse for him. That's just an irrelevant argument. And her being a nanny doesn't mean she is dog crap and should be treated badly. She was also a successful model who made a lot of money on her own.

Mr. Pittsburgh - He cheated with at least 14 women. If you believe their vows included a clause for cheating then I don't know what to say. He had a wife and 2 small children at home while he slept with woman all over the country (and world). If you think that's ok, that's certainly your right. I don't - no matter your stature as a world famous athlete.

stlrd - actually sex addiction is not officially considered a disease or an addiction. You'll find just as many psychiatrists who don't believe it to be as you will those that do. The term is relatively new as well.

Shoe - I can't begin to understand his life. I absolutely know it's not Mr. and Mrs. Ghost sitting around in my humble abode. But here's the thing I can't get past - he CHOSE to be married and have kids. There was nothing making him do that. He would still be worth a billion dollars if he's stayed single. People would have understood he was rich, famous, and a world traveler. WOuldn't have hurt his image a bit. But he went on camera and claimed that being married and a family man was the most important thing to him. He consciously lied about it knowing full well it wasn't true. There are no excuses.

Fire away.... :D

Pittsburgh
01-27-2010, 12:29 PM
actually sex addiction is not officially considered a disease or an addiction. You'll find just as many psychiatrists who don't believe it to be as you will those that do. The term is relatively new as well.

You haven't heard? There is a "disease" or "addiction" for everything these days. Personal responsibility was thrown out the window a long time ago in this country. It's much easier for a person to blame a disease, addiction or others for their own screw ups in life.

Get fat because you eat too much fast food? Blame fast food joints.

Get cancer from smoking? It's the cigarette company's fault.

Get busted laying numerous women around the world while you are married and have children? I know, let's call it an addiction or disease.

Get busted with your fifth DUI? The disease strikes again!

Pop out eight kids and realize you can't support them? Blame society and don't worry, the tax payers will bail you out.

Zero personal responsibility. In my opinion, she's dumb for not divorcing him and he's an idiot for cheating on her in the first place while he has kids. At this point, I'm just tired of hearing about the guy. Eitherway, it's a sad day in this country when Tiger's sex life makes more news than four marines being killed in Afghanistan, but that's a whole different story.

Shawn
01-27-2010, 01:24 PM

I would personally like to see how you would hold up to 10's knocking down your door to give you a spin. I highly doubt anyone on this board has the temptations and access that Tiger has. Until Jessica Alba knocks down my door to be with me...and I'm able to turn that down...I won't judge Tiger. It might make us feel superior to do so...but in my opinion you don't know until you have walked in his shoes.

I am loyal to my wife...I believe in honoring my vows. I love my family. But, I don't have Tiger access. I don't have models wanting to have 3 somes with me. It's very difficult for me to point a finger at him and call him a lousy human being. I can't be that judgemental when I have no idea what it's like to be him.

Shawn
01-27-2010, 01:26 PM
And sex addiction hasn't had alot of study. Addicts brains work differently and sex addiction stimulates the same pathways that alcohol, food and drug addiction stimulate. Anyone who doesn't believe those three are disease need to be properly educated.

Shawn
01-27-2010, 01:31 PM
actually sex addiction is not officially considered a disease or an addiction. You'll find just as many psychiatrists who don't believe it to be as you will those that do. The term is relatively new as well.

You haven't heard? There is a "disease" or "addiction" for everything these days. Personal responsibility was thrown out the window a long time ago in this country. It's much easier for a person to blame a disease, addiction or others for their own screw ups in life.

Get fat because you eat too much fast food? Blame fast food joints.

Get cancer from smoking? It's the cigarette company's fault.

Get busted laying numerous women around the world while you are married and have children? I know, let's call it an addiction or disease.

Get busted with your fifth DUI? The disease strikes again!

Pop out eight kids and realize you can't support them? Blame society and don't worry, the tax payers will bail you out.

Zero personal responsibility. In my opinion, she's dumb for not divorcing him and he's an idiot for cheating on her in the first place while he has kids. At this point, I'm just tired of hearing about the guy. Eitherway, it's a sad day in this country when Tiger's sex life makes more news than four marines being killed in Afghanistan, but that's a whole different story.

Let me get this straight...because certain things are now labeled medically as a disease...that means no personal responsibility? While I'm sure some people use that as a cop out. True treatment for these true diseases involves more personal responsibility/accountability/honesty than most "normal" people ever experience. Educate yourself on the process and these diseases you speak about before you state your opinion. It will make you look less ignorant.

Ghost
01-27-2010, 02:03 PM
But Shawn - why get married? You don't think he had woman throwing themselves at him for many years prior to marriage? He made a specific choice. And he made it at a young age. I'm not judging him for banging chicks (although some of them were no where near 10's). If he'd stayed single and it came out that he was taking down women, 5 days a week, 2 and 3 at a time I wouldn't give it another thought.

He chose to marry and then he chose to go on TV and talk about the importance of that marriage and how it was the rock of his life. He used it to further his reputation and image. It was all a lie.

Again - I've never said I had any understanding of what it's like to be a superstar athlete with woman ban ging down my door. But I don't think it's an excuse for what he did.

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2010, 02:47 PM
My name is Ruthless. I am a Steeler addict.

I'm sure my wife considers that a disease. :wink:

:tt2 :Steel :tt1

cruzer8
01-27-2010, 02:50 PM
And sex addiction hasn't had alot of study. Addicts brains work differently and sex addiction stimulates the same pathways that alcohol, food and drug addiction stimulate. Anyone who doesn't believe those three are disease need to be properly educated.

I'm properly educated and agree with you completely.

And no, addiction does not mean no personal accountability. As you stated, it means even MORE accountability.

Fighting addiction is the most difficult thing any addict will ever have to do and that fight goes on for life.

Pittsburgh
01-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Let me get this straight...because certain things are now labeled medically as a disease...that means no personal responsibility? While I'm sure some people use that as a cop out. True treatment for these true diseases involves more personal responsibility/accountability/honesty than most "normal" people ever experience. Educate yourself on the process and these diseases you speak about before you state your opinion. It will make you look less ignorant.

First, you should probably make sure you "get it straight" before making the assumption that someone you never met is ignorant. It will make you look less ignorant.

Second, all I stated was that it seems like we are quick to make excuses for people's actions. Tiger Woods cheats on his wife with numerous women and we automatically assume that he has a disease or addiction even though it has not been medically proven. Susan enjoys stuffing her face with big macs and gains 80 pounds, it's McDonalds fault. John enjoys smoking three packs a day, get's cancer, blame the cigarette company. That's all I'm saying.

Third, according to you, what "diseases" do I need to educate myself on exactly? I never stated that cancer, alcoholism and drug abuse are not addictions or diseases. I'm just not as quick as some are when it comes to assuming that Tiger has a disease or addiction.

You on the other hand happen to think he does have a disease or addiction. I respect your opinion. Don't worry though, I won't automatically assume you are ignorant.

Shawn
01-27-2010, 06:26 PM
But Shawn - why get married? You don't think he had woman throwing themselves at him for many years prior to marriage? He made a specific choice. And he made it at a young age. I'm not judging him for banging chicks (although some of them were no where near 10's). If he'd stayed single and it came out that he was taking down women, 5 days a week, 2 and 3 at a time I wouldn't give it another thought.

He chose to marry and then he chose to go on TV and talk about the importance of that marriage and how it was the rock of his life. He used it to further his reputation and image. It was all a lie.

Again - I've never said I had any understanding of what it's like to be a superstar athlete with woman ban ging down my door. But I don't think it's an excuse for what he did.

You have some valid points. First, no way should he have gotten married. If I had Tiger access...I would have been in a walker before I settled down. But, lets give him the credit of the doubt...and say that maybe he thought he had grown up...was ready to settle down. He wouldn't be the first man to think he was ready only to find out he wasn't.

I think your second point is stronger. The whole hypocracy issue. He goes on national television and gives lip service about marriage. I agree it was shady at best...deceptively hypocritical at worst. I think that did as much to tarnish his image as the cheating. But, I really do try to give people the credit of the doubt...I do try to understand where they were coming from. He was asked direct questions about his marriage and he responded in a publically acceptable way. He turned it on a bit. I wish I was pure enough to judge that...but I'm not. I have given lip service and shaded things publically. I have also been a hypocrite. So, if I judge him I judge myself.

I honestly believe this marriage was a business arrangement. I do not believe she married for love. I do not believe Tiger married for love. I believe she married money and fame...he married for image. I also believe she knew he was getting around. I think the main issue was it was going public.

Tiger showed very poor judgement...he made some bone headed mistakes. It cost him hundreds of millions and public humiliation. He is paying dearly for his infidelity. I just see no need to judge him...it serves no purpose. I'm not sure I'm any better of a person just because I am loyal to my wife.

Shawn
01-27-2010, 06:44 PM

First, you should probably make sure you "get it straight" before making the assumption that someone you never met is ignorant. It will make you look less ignorant.

Second, all I stated was that it seems like we are quick to make excuses for people's actions. Tiger Woods cheats on his wife with numerous women and we automatically assume that he has a disease or addiction even though it has not been medically proven. Susan enjoys stuffing her face with big macs and gains 80 pounds, it's McDonalds fault. John enjoys smoking three packs a day, get's cancer, blame the cigarette company. That's all I'm saying.

Third, according to you, what "diseases" do I need to educate myself on exactly? I never stated that cancer, alcoholism and drug abuse are not addictions or diseases. I'm just not as quick as some are when it comes to assuming that Tiger has a disease or addiction.

You on the other hand happen to think he does have a disease or addiction. I respect your opinion. Don't worry though, I won't automatically assume you are ignorant.

The way your statements were worded were ignorant and insulting. I stand by that. I do not believe you to be ignorant. I think when we are speaking about people's lives it's best to choose our words carefully...much like you would if you were in the same room with a person who had lung cancer, alcoholism, an eating disorder or a sex addiction.

I think making statements like the ones you did above made it look like you believed anyone who has one of these diseases is looking for an excuse...a way of avoiding personal responsibility. The vast majority of obese people do not blame McDonalds...they know they over eat. The vast majority of cigarette smokers who get lung cancer do not blame the cigarette companies they know they did it to themselves.

Lets not confuse headlines and the actions of a great minority with the beliefs of an entire population of people. That is a form of prejudice and is ignorant...hence my comment. But, by your further explanation I understand your position better.

As for sex addiction not being a real disease. Addiction is a growing field...that's why you are seeing more about it. It was always the black sheep specialty of the medical community. There have been very recent studies which map an addicts brain. The pathways that activate for alcohol and drugs activate for sex in an addicts brain. They are wired differently. The field is constantly changing as we get funding and are able to conduct more studies.

Addiction is one of the hardest things in life to overcome. It involves more honesty, personal responsibility and accountability than most people know. Only about 1 in 10 will get better. Most addicts will die either directly from their addiction or from circumstances surrounding their addiction. They need our thoughts and our prayers...not our judgement.

I also want to apologize for being offensive. This is a very personal subject for me and it's easy for me to get worked up. I should have chosen my words more carefully. I hope you accept my apology.

stlrz d
01-27-2010, 09:50 PM

You have some valid points. First, no way should he have gotten married. If I had Tiger access...I would have been in a walker before I settled down. But, lets give him the credit of the doubt...and say that maybe he thought he had grown up...was ready to settle down. He wouldn't be the first man to think he was ready only to find out he wasn't.

I think your second point is stronger. The whole hypocracy issue. He goes on national television and gives lip service about marriage. I agree it was shady at best...deceptively hypocritical at worst. I think that did as much to tarnish his image as the cheating. But, I really do try to give people the credit of the doubt...I do try to understand where they were coming from. He was asked direct questions about his marriage and he responded in a publically acceptable way. He turned it on a bit. I wish I was pure enough to judge that...but I'm not. I have given lip service and shaded things publically. I have also been a hypocrite. So, if I judge him I judge myself.

I honestly believe this marriage was a business arrangement. I do not believe she married for love. I do not believe Tiger married for love. I believe she married money and fame...he married for image. I also believe she knew he was getting around. I think the main issue was it was going public.

Tiger showed very poor judgement...he made some bone headed mistakes. It cost him hundreds of millions and public humiliation. He is paying dearly for his infidelity. I just see no need to judge him...it serves no purpose. I'm not sure I'm any better of a person just because I am loyal to my wife.

Shawn, with all due respect, you should really check around for stories on how Tiger and Elin first got together. He was so shy around her he couldn't even talk to her. Several people close to both of them -including Jesper Parnevik- have stated that. And apparently the feeling was mutual with her.

As for the hypocrisy thing...how many addicts show one face and hide the other? If he truly is a sex addict of course he is going to present the "happily married" face. And who knows...he probably is quite happy in his marriage...but if he does have an addiction then that addiction comes first just as they always do. Addicts want to have everything, including their addiction. How many happy marriages become unhappy marriages not because people grow apart or fall out of love, but because addiction gets in the way? The addicts love for the spouse isn't any less...but the drive to feed the addiction supersedes that love. Immeasurably.

~~~~

I consider myself to be a very lucky person when it comes to addiction. My only addiction is biting my fingernails. Other than that I have never been addicted to anything, but I have been around plenty of friends and family members who suffer from addictions.

And those people aren't blaming anyone for their addictions...because in their respective opinions they don't HAVE addictions....until they came to terms with it that is. That's why they say the first step to conquering an addiction is admitting that there is an addiction. Because if you are an addict that doesn't believe you are one then there is no helping you. None.

Shawn
01-28-2010, 01:09 AM
D...I hear ya and I have heard the stories. It was obviously speculation on my part...maybe even an incorrect assumption. You could be entirely correct. Maybe it was for love and his addiction hurt their marriage. Or maybe, there was no love...and he isn't a sex addict. None of us know. I have no idea if Tiger is truly a sex addict and my comments were made as general conversation towards sex addiction.

I wish I could say that I am as lucky as yourself. Me, my mom, my dad and my brother are all alcoholics. I am the only one in recovery. I have 2 and a half years of sobriety and know first hand how powerful this disease is. I also know it starts with a choice but somewhere along the way you lose that ability to choose. So, I can relate and it's very difficult for me to judge. I believe sex addiction to be a true addiction...a disease. It's probably overly diagnosed at this point but it's a disease no doubt in my mind. But, it's good to see you have a good grasp of the disease process. I believe education of the general community is going to be very important in the future.

stlrz d
01-28-2010, 09:32 AM
D...I hear ya and I have heard the stories. It was obviously speculation on my part...maybe even an incorrect assumption. You could be entirely correct. Maybe it was for love and his addiction hurt their marriage. Or maybe, there was no love...and he isn't a sex addict. None of us know. I have no idea if Tiger is truly a sex addict and my comments were made as general conversation towards sex addiction.

I wish I could say that I am as lucky as yourself. Me, my mom, my dad and my brother are all alcoholics. I am the only one in recovery. I have 2 and a half years of sobriety and know first hand how powerful this disease is. I also know it starts with a choice but somewhere along the way you lose that ability to choose. So, I can relate and it's very difficult for me to judge. I believe sex addiction to be a true addiction...a disease. It's probably overly diagnosed at this point but it's a disease no doubt in my mind. But, it's good to see you have a good grasp of the disease process. I believe education of the general community is going to be very important in the future.

Ya, I know it was just speculation and discussion. That's all any of us can do because none of us knows for sure. That's why there was no harsh tone intended in my post. Just part of the discussion.

As for you and your family I hope all goes well and that you keep fighting that battle. Congrats on the 2 1/2 years of sobriety and I hope that continues for you. Hopefully your family will come around eventually, admit there is an issue and do something about it. Alcoholism is a terrible disease and hurts a lot of people.

Re: my grasp of the disease process...I try to be informed. Couple that with real life experience and I feel as if I can discuss this topic intelligently. I agree with you that it is probably over-diagnosed at this point and I also agree that it really is an addiction and goes beyond just physical pleasure through sexual gratification. Time will tell for Tiger whether he really is an addict. And it's his business, so we may never know for sure if he is or not.

Shoe
01-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Shoe - I can't begin to understand his life. I absolutely know it's not Mr. and Mrs. Ghost sitting around in my humble abode. But here's the thing I can't get past - he CHOSE to be married and have kids. There was nothing making him do that. He would still be worth a billion dollars if he's stayed single. People would have understood he was rich, famous, and a world traveler. WOuldn't have hurt his image a bit. But he went on camera and claimed that being married and a family man was the most important thing to him. He consciously lied about it knowing full well it wasn't true. There are no excuses.

Fire away.... :D

Well, you are right Ghost... he made the vow, and you are supposed to honor those vows. The point I'm gonna make again is how often those in: Hollywood, high society, sports, music... fail at marriage. It's not because a disproportionate number of them are just cheating falks. It speaks to the access.

These people also live in the same world we do, where you are supposed to get married, have kids, etc.--and it's a natural human compulsion (for lack of a better word--to procreate). The two worlds are pretty diametrically opposed.

Let me put it a bit more personally: I don't know you Ghost or anything. I'm sure you are a great guy, love your spouse (just gonna assume you are married, or have a GF), etc. But if every woman in your town suddenly had the hots for Ghost--you'd stray. And so would I. And so would virtually any man. CUZ OF THE ACCESS. (that's why I never bought the whole Tebow celibacy act.)

Shawn
01-29-2010, 12:59 AM
You are a wise man shoe. I have always believed that very few men on this planet could say no to the right temptation. Which means very few of us can judge.

I will say this though...smart men who love their wives try to keep themselves out of bad positions. Working late with the hot little secretary...no. Being an ear for a hottie to talk about her marital problems...I think not. I believe we all have our breaking point...so being smart about preventing situations will go a long way to keeping a happy home. I think this is something Tiger needs to heed.

MeetJoeGreene
01-29-2010, 10:32 AM
I am with Ghost.

He chose to get married and have kids.

He also chose to embrace (and promote) a wholesome image. Its not like he's AI or TO.

When you chose to promote yourself as a role model - you SHOULD be held to higher standards. His wholesome, role model image contributed to his popularity.

I have sympathy for his wife and kids. I have sympathy for him and hope that he truly does get the help he needs and repair his life.

Ghost
01-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Interesting discussion.

I still view it as a choice you make. Lots of Athletes and actors stray but lots of them do not. It comes down to character and a personal decision on how to you will carry yourself.

I have no idea what these guys are really doing but as far as I know, it has publicly never come up that they are out there sleeping with woman all over the country - Paul Newman (40+ years of marriage), Danzel Washington (27 years), Tom Hanks (20+ years), Will Smith (13 years). All of these are men who could get tail every day of the week if they wanted.

and Shoe - I am a great guy.... :wink: and happily married. You are right in that I don't know what it's like to have all the women in town at my disposal. But from a personal perspective - I had the opportunity to get married at a younger age and knew it would lead to bad things. I fully admit to not being ready to settle down, stop drinking/partying, giving up random hook ups, attending Mardi Gras every year, etc. My lifestyle choices would have lead to divorce. Waiting into my 30's was the right choice for me. I've had opportunities to stray and have not taken them. The thought of even looking at my wife if I cheated makes me sick to my stomach. And I think you don't give guys enough credit. I'm nothing special, maybe I'm just naive, but I think there are a lot of guys out there who think and feel that way.

As a side note - I've see a few posts where people are acting like Tiger did Elin a favor. As if she was a fat nanny with a mustache and a hairy mole. She was a Swedish bikini model (for real) for goodness sake and is smoking hot. It's not as if she wasn't destined to marry a rich guy. She didn't need Tiger's money.

Sorry for the book....yikes.

Shawn
01-29-2010, 09:45 PM
You are right...and maybe I'm merely projecting. But, I believe very few men can resist the right temptation. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm one of those guys with low morals and character. As for the men you named...that means little. My mother and father have been married almost 40 years and I know my dad has cheated. My mother knows he has cheated. It's one of the reasons I keep myself out of bad situations...I don't want to be like him. If they did stay loyal...was it due to high character or fear...maybe a little of both? I'm not saying all men are like this...but I would put my money on 98+%.

If I'm right...then character is defined by how hot the girl has to be in order to get you to stray.

Character Scale

If a 5/10 can pull ya...you are a man whore with no moral values...you are a man of low character.
If a 7/10 can pull ya...you are a horn dog but certainly better than the guy that slept with the ugly housekeeper.
If only a 9/10 can pull ya...who could blame ya?
If only a threesome with two 10's could get you to break...you my man are a saint. You should be rewarded not divorced.

:lol:

stlrz d
01-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Interesting discussion.

I still view it as a choice you make. Lots of Athletes and actors stray but lots of them do not. It comes down to character and a personal decision on how to you will carry yourself.

I have no idea what these guys are really doing but as far as I know, it has publicly never come up that they are out there sleeping with woman all over the country - Paul Newman (40+ years of marriage), Danzel Washington (27 years), Tom Hanks (20+ years), Will Smith (13 years). All of these are men who could get tail every day of the week if they wanted.

and Shoe - I am a great guy.... :wink: and happily married. You are right in that I don't know what it's like to have all the women in town at my disposal. But from a personal perspective - I had the opportunity to get married at a younger age and knew it would lead to bad things. I fully admit to not being ready to settle down, stop drinking/partying, giving up random hook ups, attending Mardi Gras every year, etc. My lifestyle choices would have lead to divorce. Waiting into my 30's was the right choice for me. I've had opportunities to stray and have not taken them. The thought of even looking at my wife if I cheated makes me sick to my stomach. And I think you don't give guys enough credit. I'm nothing special, maybe I'm just naive, but I think there are a lot of guys out there who think and feel that way.

As a side note - I've see a few posts where people are acting like Tiger did Elin a favor. As if she was a fat nanny with a mustache and a hairy mole. She was a Swedish bikini model (for real) for goodness sake and is smoking hot. It's not as if she wasn't destined to marry a rich guy. She didn't need Tiger's money.

Sorry for the book....yikes.

Speculation.

If he's truly an addict then it's about a lot more than just character.

Shawn
01-30-2010, 02:38 AM
Agreed Dennis. We are all speculating at this point. He could just be morally bankrupt individual who cheated on his wife because he could. He could be a sex addict whose compulsions can't be handled without treatment. Or maybe he is just a man who had too much temptation at his finger tips and folded like a lawn chair...no real disease...just weak. Maybe he had every intention of being loyal to his wife and made some bad choices. We don't really know. I guess that's why I have problems judging Tiger. He is paying dearly for his infidelity already...I have no need or desire to judge his character.

stlrz d
01-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Agreed Dennis. We are all speculating at this point. He could just be morally bankrupt individual who cheated on his wife because he could. He could be a sex addict whose compulsions can't be handled without treatment. Or maybe he is just a man who had too much temptation at his finger tips and folded like a lawn chair...no real disease...just weak. Maybe he had every intention of being loyal to his wife and made some bad choices. We don't really know. I guess that's why I have problems judging Tiger. He is paying dearly for his infidelity already...I have no need or desire to judge his character.

Correct...which is why I haven't passed any judgment on him...I don't know what his deal is. I'll wait to find out.