PDA

View Full Version : nothing really new on the FWP front

proudpittsburgher
01-26-2010, 09:56 AM
I would love for him to return as a better-used backup than he was this season, but I still think it is unlikely. I'm sure the Redskins will pony up three times as much as he is worth. :)

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10026/1031041-66.stm

Sugar
01-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm..... Al Davis likes fast guys.

cruzer8
01-26-2010, 05:16 PM
He's a good compliment to Mendenhall. I hope to see him back in black...........and gold!

Shawn
01-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Bye FWP...you won't be missed...at least by me.

Oviedo
01-26-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm OK with him coming back for a $2M contract for three years. Front load it. Good team guy with high character. If he wants $3-4M per year he needs to walk. As a metric Derrick Ward signed with Tampa last March for 4 years and $17M. Ward was the best FA back available and was way better than Parker is now. If that is what Parker wants then see you later.

The reality is we have no depth on the roster and Summers and Redman aren't the answers.

Djfan
01-26-2010, 09:16 PM
I like him and want him back. I hope he takes the hometown discount.

stlrz d
01-26-2010, 09:59 PM
I like him and want him back. I hope he takes the hometown discount.

I concur.

phillyesq
01-26-2010, 11:00 PM
I'd also like to see Parker return for a reasonable deal. If he plays just as a backup/change of pace guy, I think he can be much more effective. Hopefully it will keep him healthier and help him regain some burst.

He has already won two SBs, and he was the consummate professional this year when he was benched, so I wouldn't blame him at all if he chooses to chase the money. Hopefully, he'll decide to stay in Pittsburgh, but it would be hard to fault him if he looks for a bigger opportunity elsewhere.

feltdizz
01-26-2010, 11:01 PM
He's a good compliment to Mendenhall. I hope to see him back in black...........and gold!

He finished strong and really makes you wonder what he could do with good blocking when Mend is catching his breath. Mewelde is the odd guy out IMO. I like him but can't see where he fits. Mend can do everything he can do but better. He isn't an every down back either.

Djfan
01-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Agreed on Moore. Just don't see how he fits in, particularly if FWP signs on for a long term deal. I would still like to see Redman stick around. He would look good in the backfield with Mendy on 1st and goal from the 3.

papillon
01-26-2010, 11:19 PM

Did he hit on your wife/girlfriend/mistress?
Did he kick your dog?
Did he refuse to sign an autograph?

Man, there's some real attitude in your disdain for Parker. I'm just wondering why? So, he's not the ideal back, what's to hate about Willie? He's been a good teammate and Steeler.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2010, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't mind bringing Parker back on a reasonable deal, but he is pretty far down the priority pole behind Hampton, Clark, and Reed (and moves even further down if the team wants to work on extending Santonio or Woodley now).

ikestops85
01-27-2010, 10:56 AM
I've always liked Willie and I think he took a lot of blame for a horrible run blocking line. The line started improving right before the switch was made to Mendy. But Mendy is definitely the #1 back and deserves it.

If Willie is willing to take a reasonable contract for a backup then I would love for them to sign him again. If not, then I wish him well wherever he ends up.

:tt2 :tt2

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-27-2010, 11:13 AM
:Agree with the comment that the line started getting better just around the time he got injured - his #s would almost certainly have been better if he had been healthy at that point in time.

FWP has always shown great strength of Character; he got us a superbowl win against the Hags; and when he was bumped he stayed true to the Steeler way. More tangibly, he showed this year that he can be a VERY good backup. A little lacking in vision and cutting ability to be 1st string, but so what, he's a FINE 2nd stringer, and every team needs those.

I hope he accepts a decent salary from us. With younger players having more and more of a "me first" attitude, he will have value in the locker room even above and beyond his YPC.

Shawn
01-27-2010, 01:17 PM

Did he kick your dog?

Man, there's some real attitude in your disdain for Parker. I'm just wondering why? So, he's not the ideal back, what's to hate about Willie? He's been a good teammate and Steeler.

Pappy

Hate is a very strong word. Extreme dislike for his game would be more accurate. Obviously, I have nothing against Parker the man. I could be a good teammate and Steeler...but I can't tote the rock. Does that mean the Steelers should sign me?

Not ideal is an understatement. The guy doesn't run well on any level. He can't catch...has little lateral movement to avoid tackles...his speed (yes I know he has been injured) has dropped off significantly. He has gotten better at not running up the back side of his linemen and that's the only improvement I have seen in his game. He lacks power...his ypc is pathetic...he doesn't move chains...he can't sustain a drive. He used to be a pure home run hitter. Now he seems to have lost even that.

When I think of Parker I think about 3 and outs. I don't think Parker epitomizes Steeler running.

Am I too greedy wanting a true 1a/1b system? Parker is not even a 3b in my book. Moore is a much better running back. Why not just keep Moore as our #2? At least the guy runs hard, has vision, good lateral movement and can catch.

feltdizz
01-27-2010, 01:49 PM

Did he kick your dog?

Pappy

Hate is a very strong word. Extreme dislike for his game would be more accurate. Obviously, I have nothing against Parker the man. I could be a good teammate and Steeler...but I can't tote the rock. Does that mean the Steelers should sign me?

Not ideal is an understatement. The guy doesn't run well on any level. He can't catch...has little lateral movement to avoid tackles...his speed (yes I know he has been injured) has dropped off significantly. He has gotten better at not running up the back side of his linemen and that's the only improvement I have seen in his game. He lacks power...his ypc is pathetic...he doesn't move chains...he can't sustain a drive. He used to be a pure home run hitter. Now he seems to have lost even that.

When I think of Parker I think about 3 and outs. I don't think Parker epitomizes Steeler running.

Am I too greedy wanting a true 1a/1b system? Parker is not even a 3b in my book. Moore is a much better running back. Why not just keep Moore as our #2? At least the guy runs hard, has vision, good lateral movement and can catch.

Moore isn't a 1b... he doesn't run hard either.

He can catch, he is shifty.. but the guy doesn't run hard at all. He was a good 3rd down RB but Mend has taken over that role.

Shawn
01-27-2010, 02:02 PM

Did he kick your dog?

Pappy

He can catch, he is shifty.. but the guy doesn't run hard at all. He was a good 3rd down RB but Mend has taken over that role.

Did I say Moore is a 1b? I said I would rather have him over Parker. And Moore definitely breaks more tackles than Parker. Obviously, he isn't a power back but he fights for first downs. Even the Steelers commented on his ability to get the tough yards to move the chains.

cruzer8
01-27-2010, 03:00 PM

Did he kick your dog?

Pappy

I'm too lazy to do a point by point so I'm just going to state that I disagree with your assessment of Parker and move on.

feltdizz
01-27-2010, 03:03 PM

Did I say Moore is a 1b? I said I would rather have him over Parker. And Moore definitely breaks more tackles than Parker. Obviously, he isn't a power back but he fights for first downs. Even the Steelers commented on his ability to get the tough yards to move the chains.

I thought you did... no need to get upset.

I can't even remember Moore getting a first down last year.. I'm not being funny either.

Shawn
01-27-2010, 07:18 PM

I thought you did... no need to get upset.

I can't even remember Moore getting a first down last year.. I'm not being funny either.

I wasn't upset just clarifying. Moore certainly had a better first season than second season. I will agree with that.

Dee Dub
01-30-2010, 11:43 PM

Yep! Yep!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm??? there was this poster once upon a time that thought that it was just a matter of time before Fast Willie Parker's days were numbered.

Shawnie...birds of a feather flock together....oh...and I guess get banned as well together too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BradshawsHairdresser
01-31-2010, 12:03 AM

Yep! Yep!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm??? there was this poster once upon a time that thought that it was just a matter of time before Fast Willie Parker's days were numbered.

Shawnie...birds of a feather flock together....oh...and I guess get banned as well together too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SFL (DVSOne)--is that you???

feltdizz
01-31-2010, 01:18 AM

SFL (DVSOne)--is that you???

of course it is..

I have been looking for him ever since Mend lived up to his hype...

expected to see him sooner.

Shawn
01-31-2010, 01:28 AM
Well the man seems to know what he is talking about. Seem to remember him being high on Cody a couple years ago too.

frankthetank1
01-31-2010, 09:24 AM
so if parker is gone next season who do we get for a back up rb? will moore be the # 2 or someone else via draft or FA? we will still need 3 good rb's. what if moore or mendy god forbid get injured next season? it would be wise to resign parker for what he is worth which isnt big money. if parker isn't resigned we better get a solid rb because 2 good rb's these days isnt enough. C.J SPILLER!!!!!