PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl Weigh-in notes

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Senior Bowl Weigh-in notes 1/25: (from Draft Daddy)

Heaviest & Largest Hands: Terrance Cody, Alabama: 370, 11 1/4".
Tallest: Sam Young, Notre Dame: 6'7" & 1/2.
Longest Arms: Mike Iupati, Idaho: 35".

10 Players that may have helped their stock:

DB Taylor Mays, USC: 6'3" 235: Perfect physical specimen.

TE Jimmy Graham, Miami: 6'6" 259: 6'8" might have been too tall.

TE Anthony McCoy, USC: 6'4" 249: Gained 2" from listed height.

DL Alex Carrington, Arkansas St: 6'5" 284, 10 1/2" hands: Solid frame.

DB Kyle Wilson, Boise St: 5'10" 190: Built for speed.

LB Sean Weatherspoon Missouri: 6'0" 241: On the verge of a big week?

WR Shay Hodge, Ole Miss: 6'1" 208: Lean and cut.

LB Donald Butler, Washington: 6'1" 244: Stocky but strong.

RB Roy Upchurch, Alabama: 5'11", 210: Looked in top shape.

DB Chris Cook, Virginia: 6'1" 212: Well-conditioned.

5 Players that may have hurt their stock:

DT Terrence Cody, Alabama: 6'4", 370: Sloppy, will have to turn it around by combine.

OT Ciron Black, LSU: 6'4" 331: Could have been in better shape.

DT Jeff Owens, Georgia: 6'1" 304: Undersized, sloppy.

QB Tim Tebow, Florida: 6'2 1/2" 236: Average appearance, a little short.

LB Antonio Coleman, Auburn: Good shape but lost 1.5" on listed height.

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2010, 03:58 PM

The Anti-Shipley!!! :lol:

Iron Shiek
01-25-2010, 04:16 PM

The Anti-Shipley!!! :lol:

Mike "The Pteradactyl" Iupati?

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2010, 04:37 PM
I would not be disappointed if the Steelers decided that Iupati was the BPA and selected him (although I would then like to see us trade down and pick up some extra choices)
Iupati has the long arms and quick feet to even possibly play OT, I have seen him play several times and he's definitely a beast and would be an immediate upgrade over Essex.

Then select a CB in the 2nd round, a S in the 3rd and an ILB in the 4th...and oh yeah, re-sign or tag Casey Hampton, we cannot afford to lose him.

steelblood
01-25-2010, 05:20 PM
I think Hawaiian is correct. Iupati needs to be considered at 18. If he can indeed play tackle, he may be a great value. I've only seen him play once, so I'll be interested to watch him again this week. He would immediately upgrade our running game.

Iron Shiek
01-25-2010, 05:23 PM
DB Kyle Wilson, Boise St: 5'10" 190: Built for speed.

Movin the Chains on Sirius Radio is doing their show right from the practice field.

QB's, WR's and DB's doing some route work. They just called Wilson out as having a great drill and mentioned he closed in quickly on one for an INT.

Thought I'd throw that out there since they mentioned one of the guys in the OP's list.

feltdizz
01-25-2010, 05:58 PM
What's up with all the sloppy SEC players? 8)

steelerkeylargo
01-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Mike Mayock is in love with Iupati and thinks he could even play LT

Jom112
01-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Mardy Gillyard measured "shorter" as well (5'11 1/2 instead of 6'1). 1 1/2 inches is a lot of height to lose. Might have dropped him a round.

BTW, jump on the Iupati bandwagon now. Bulldozer I tell ya...

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I know many people would rather draft a player on defense in Round 1, but maybe our offense could help our defense out next season by converting more short-yardage plays and keeping the defense fresher and off the field more.

A road-grader like Iupati is someone you can run behind from the one-yard line or to make that first down, the current OL players on our roster have not been getting it done.
Essex could go back to being the primary reserve at both the OG and OT positions on gameday, Legursky and Stapleton can battle it out for the back-up C position.

Shawn
01-25-2010, 10:14 PM
If we are talking about a LT at 18...aight I can deal with that...if we needed one. But, a Guard? A guard at 18? I don't know guys. This guy better be as good as Faneca to warrant that high of a pick. And I still believe we are in more trouble at center than we are at Guard. We still have Urbik in the wings.

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2010, 10:16 PM
If we are talking about a LT at 18...aight I can deal with that...if we needed one. But, a Guard? A guard at 18? I don't know guys. This guy better be as good as Faneca to warrant that high of a pick. And I still believe we are in more trouble at center than we are at Guard. We still have Urbik in the wings.

has anyone heard if Urbik really is going to get a shot at playing C or is that like the Colon to G rumor?

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Bummer....January 26

(12:01 AM): Knee sidelines Badger DE ... The great fear of all players at any all-star game is injury and that threat became a reality for Wisconsin DE O'Brien Schofield who reportedly tore an ACL at this afternoon's inital Senior Bowl practice. Schofield was battling huge UMass OT Vlad Ducasse in a one-on-one pass rush drill when he stepped awkwardly with the full weight of the 325-pound offenive lineman leaning on him. Schofield will undergo surgery in the next few days and his availability to play at all next season is very much in question.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Bummer....January 26

(12:01 AM): Knee sidelines Badger DE ... The great fear of all players at any all-star game is injury and that threat became a reality for Wisconsin DE O'Brien Schofield who reportedly tore an ACL at this afternoon's inital Senior Bowl practice. Schofield was battling huge UMass OT Vlad Ducasse in a one-on-one pass rush drill when he stepped awkwardly with the full weight of the 325-pound offenive lineman leaning on him. Schofield will undergo surgery in the next few days and his availability to play at all next season is very much in question.

Didn't he just play in the East-West Shrine game last week? (You don't forget a name like O'Brien Schofield). I didn't realize that players could play in more than one college all-star game like that. Sucks for him, though. He could have been a mid-round OLB candidate for our 3-4 defense. Perhaps now we could pick him up with a 7th rounder instead or possibly as an UDFA to store on I.R. for a year, giving us some depth at OLB come 2011.

The other guy mentioned, Ducasse, may be an interesting guard or right tackle prospect in the 3rd round or so if do not go o-line with either of our top 2 picks (but he may be rising up draft boards). It would just be cool to have a dude name Vlad on the team.

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Senior Bowl Monday Afternoon South practice: (per DraftDaddy)

Conditions at Fairhope were pleasant: mid-60's, sunny, stiff breeze from the west. As the offense was installing and inconsistent, the biggest crowd reaction of the day was when Alabama HC Nick Saban arrived. Saban graciously signed autographs for the kids.

Offense:
Ole Miss RB #22 Dexter McCluster played like a star today. He exploded through the line and was able to exploit tiny holes for big gains. Easy to imagine him doing the same at the next level.

Oklahoma State QB #10 Zac Robinson was a smooth operator, throwing timely and tight sprials. Robinson was able to connect with UAB WR #5 Joe Webb on the deepest pass of the session.

Florida QB #15 Tim Tebow had an up-and-down session. Pro: play-action fake leading to connection with Ole Miss WR #3 Shay Hodge during 9-on-7's. Cons: trouble with center exchange, a long windup and inaccuracy.

Tulane WR #20 Jeremy Williams made outstanding catches on a several tough balls.

Mississippi State RB #24 Anthony Dixon excelled in both running and blocking. He dominated the blitz pick-up drill and was a thumper as a lead blocker.

Southern California RB #13 Stefon Johnson displayed good vision and cut-back, but was a little tentative, which is understandable.

Ole Miss OT #77 John Jerry received tons of attention from the Dolphins coaching staff. His appeal to power-running teams is apparent.

Southern California OC #53 Jeff Byers was a technician in drills, displaying top footwork. Defenders were seen cutting back in line to find more favorable matchups in "The Pit."

Arkansas OL #66 Mitch Petrus was a go-getter; he had quick feet and a nose for contact.

Operating at right guard, Baylor OL J.D. Walton opened up big holes during 9-on-7 drills.

Defense:
Alabama DT #62 Terrence Cody was an immovable object at the point of attack. Cody didn't push the pocket but will not give ground. In better shape he has unique potential.

South Florida DE #95 George Selvie couldn't be handled by the South tackles. Selvie displayed the first step and balance required of N.F.L. ends. Selvie made an impact in both run and pass situations.

Auburn DE #52 Antonio Coleman also was a menace in pass rush drills, displaying good hand fighting and aggression.

Florida State DB #23 Patrick Robinson is sticky in bump-and-run and had several pass break-ups.

Alabama DB #28 Javier Arenas displayed polished ball skills and exceptional awareness.

Interceptions were recorded by South Florida DB Nate Allen and Oklahoma State cornerback Perrish Cox. Cox's play was pretty; he read the route and broke on the ball with urgency.

Florida State LB #36 Dakota Watson isn't the biggest but he can lay the wood. Recorded the most violent hit of the session.

Troy DE #90 Brandon Lang and East Carolina DE #93 C.J. Wilson both won battles using superior leverage and drive. Lang was also stout defeating trap blocks.

Southern California DB #21 Taylor Mays is a rare bird: a linebacker who runs like a defensive back. He was not tested by the South QB's.

Jom112
01-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Operating at right guard, Baylor OL J.D. Walton opened up big holes during 9-on-7 drills.

I've talked him up to so much, he better do well... :lol:

South Florida DE #95 George Selvie couldn't be handled by the South tackles. Selvie displayed the first step and balance required of N.F.L. ends. Selvie made an impact in both run and pass situations.

His numbers declined the last couple of seasons, but he still looked really good when ever I watched USF games. If you guys are looking for a 3-4 OLB, he would be perfect in the 3rd round. Which it looks like he's dropped to.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the 1st but everyone seems to think he's a 3rd round prospect now...

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2010, 01:21 PM

His numbers declined the last couple of seasons, but he still looked really good when ever I watched USF games. If you guys are looking for a 3-4 OLB, he would be perfect in the 3rd round. Which it looks like he's dropped to.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the 1st but everyone seems to think he's a 3rd round prospect now...

Yeah, what the hell happened to the guy who had 14.5 sacks and 31.5 tackles for losses as a redshirt sophomore?

Jom112
01-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Yeah, what the hell happened to the guy who had 14.5 sacks and 31.5 tackles for losses as a redshirt sophomore?

I've had a man crush on Selvie for a while now, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

From what I saw when he went against the "lesser" talented O-Line's, they would double him, chip him with TE's, have RB's back to help or slide the QB away from his side. A lot times he would force the QB to throw the ball early or have to scramble out of the pocket and just miss the sack. The one thing I did see sometimes that bothered me is that he would get into the backfield quickly but then miss the QB (Which reminded me of Robert Geathers). So the numbers weren't there, but if someone was keeping track of pressures his numbers would be off the charts.

Against better competition like when he went against Cincy's LT (Whose name eludes me), he struggled getting free at first (In straight one on one match ups) but would make some adjustments and get pressure eventually during the game, by either running a stunt inside or with a spin move. The other thing is USF had JPP on the other side so even when Selvie did get a good rush, the QB would already be sacked by JPP or Marshall (A pretty good pass rushing DT/DE). USF had a lot of good pass rushers but Selvie was still the one that got the most attention from opposing O-Line's which should tell you something.

I've probably watched about 6 or 7 USF games over the past two seasons and I've never seen Selvie not be a factor. The numbers might say otherwise. I still think he'll make a good pro. Maybe not an All Pro type player but he'll make a pro bowl or two before his time is done...

Jom112
01-26-2010, 02:33 PM
BTW, speaking of Senior Bowl weigh-ins, I present to you Mount Cody:

http://media.al.com/mobile-press-register/photo/-02940e77923fd300.jpg

Andre Smith looked better than this guy... :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2010, 02:50 PM

Casey Hampton asks him to keep his shirt on.

http://www.steelertribute.com/caseyhamptondrunk.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CiA_E8b-CU0/SnLlDw1TWPI/AAAAAAAAADM/kI1Hh0e6emM/s400/Casey+Hampton.jpg

PSU_dropout43
01-26-2010, 02:57 PM
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c117812/media_center/images/static/total_access/Senior1.jpg

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 03:32 PM

If your plane crashed in the mountains like in the movie "Alive", you hope Mt. Cody is one of the passengers...you would never run out of food. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Anyone heard anything good or bad about Myron Rolle's return from his Rhodes scholarship in Oxford to the Senior Bowl practices in Mobile? I think we should draft a FS relatively early, but we also could use a SS to back up Troy later in the draft as well. Even though Myron has been away from the game for a year, he is enough of a physical specimen, and certainly smart enough, to be worth a look (perhaps using one of the comp picks that we get on day 3).

Jom112
01-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Anyone heard anything good or bad about Myron Rolle's return from his Rhodes scholarship in Oxford to the Senior Bowl practices in Mobile? I think we should draft a FS relatively early, but we also could use a SS to back up Troy later in the draft as well. Even though Myron has been away from the game for a year, he is enough of a physical specimen, and certainly smart enough, to be worth a look (perhaps using one of the comp picks that we get on day 3).

Mixed reviews so far.

I heard he looked phenomenal at the weigh ins. In the practices the reviews I read made it seem like he was reading things properly out there but his body didn't react quick enough to his reads, so he was a step slow. But people said for having a year off from football it was expected...

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Tuesday Morning: North Practice:

Sun was shining, and favorable weather continued for this morning's practice at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. San Jose State defensive end #94 Justin Cole replaced injured Wisconsin defensive end O'Brien Schofield on the roster.

Offense:
Central Washington quarterback #13 Dan Lefevour threw a catchable ball and was the most effective of the North signal callers.

Wayne State running back #25 Joique Bell hit the hole with authority and had several long gains. Bell is raising his profile.

Oregon running back #9 Legarrette Blount ran tough and often delivered the blow to the defenders.

Virginia running back #31 Rashawn Jackson was active in blitz pickup and ready to hit.

Clemson wide receiver #8 Jacoby Ford had an excellent diving catch and was a popular target. Ford and Cincinnati wide receiver #1 Marty Gilyard worked at punt returner.

Wisconsin tight end #89 Garrett Graham and Oregon tight end #83 Ed Dickson were reliable targets with good hands and yard after catch ability.

Idaho guard #77 Mike Iupati dominated opposing pass rushers and had at least 2 pancake blocks. Showed rare foot speed and can recover if off balance.

Arizona State guard #67 Shawn Lauvao displayed top technique: good hands, feet and base. Less than ideal size but a player.

Defense:
Arkansas State defensive end #96 Alex Carrington impressed in the Pit, with bull and swim moves. Carrington has a rare size speed combo and teams have noticed.

Michigan defensive end #55 Brandon Graham put on a clinic; makes rushing the passer look easy.

Murray State defensive end #97 Austen Lane showed a quick first step and was often able to penetrate upfield.

Cal defensive end #44 Tyson Alualu was smart, saavy and had a high motor. Like Graham, he can also make plays despite less than ideal height.

Penn State defensive tackle #91 Jared Odrick had an up-and-down session. Odrick can blow up the play one down, and be on the ground the next.

Washington linebacker #9 Donald Butler was aggressive and quick; He penetrated on running downs and covered well on backs and tight ends.

Due to inconsistant quarterback play, it was difficult to scout the wide receivers and defensive backs. Still, Rutgers cornerback #21 Devin McCourty and Boise State #1 Kyle Wilson got in and out of breaks well. McCourty had a nice deflection in drills.

birtikidis
01-26-2010, 03:48 PM

I've had a man crush on Selvie for a while now, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

From what I saw when he went against the "lesser" talented O-Line's, they would double him, chip him with TE's, have RB's back to help or slide the QB away from his side. A lot times he would force the QB to throw the ball early or have to scramble out of the pocket and just miss the sack. The one thing I did see sometimes that bothered me is that he would get into the backfield quickly but then miss the QB (Which reminded me of Robert Geathers). So the numbers weren't there, but if someone was keeping track of pressures his numbers would be off the charts.

Against better competition like when he went against Cincy's LT (Whose name eludes me), he struggled getting free at first (In straight one on one match ups) but would make some adjustments and get pressure eventually during the game, by either running a stunt inside or with a spin move. The other thing is USF had JPP on the other side so even when Selvie did get a good rush, the QB would already be sacked by JPP or Marshall (A pretty good pass rushing DT/DE). USF had a lot of good pass rushers but Selvie was still the one that got the most attention from opposing O-Line's which should tell you something.

I've probably watched about 6 or 7 USF games over the past two seasons and I've never seen Selvie not be a factor. The numbers might say otherwise. I still think he'll make a good pro. Maybe not an All Pro type player but he'll make a pro bowl or two before his time is done...
I've watched every USF game for the past two seasons (I go to USF) and you make some good points. it seems like when the OT is a good player selvie runs right into him for the first half of the game. it bewilders me! JPP is a heck of an athelete, but I don't think there's enough film on him to say where he goes. I think GS is the better player but doesn't have as much upside. Marshall is from the same county I used to coach HS ball in (our rival in basketball). He has a motor and is a good kid, but I don't see him getting drafted. I'm pulling for him though.
speaking of DE's aren't the ends from Pitt seniors?

Shawn
01-26-2010, 04:42 PM
I like Blount RB Oregon btw...guy can be a terrific back at the next level. Not to mention he has a devestating right cross. :D

Jom112
01-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Idaho guard #77 Mike Iupati dominated opposing pass rushers and had at least 2 pancake blocks. Showed rare foot speed and can recover if off balance.

I'm hearing he dominated again when playing Guard. But when they moved him out to play Tackle he struggled. Still early in the week, it'll be interesting to see how he progresses.

Also hearing that Dexter McCluster is absolutely killing it at WR. He might be tiny but he'll make some explosive plays for some team next season...

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 05:19 PM

I'm hearing he dominated again when playing Guard. But when they moved him out to play Tackle he struggled. Still early in the week, it'll be interesting to see how he progresses.

Also hearing that Dexter McCluster is absolutely killing it at WR. He might be tiny but he'll make some explosive plays for some team next season...

I saw Dexter McCluster (I love that name!) a couple of times this season and he is incredibly quick. My only concern would be that he gets broken in half at only 165 lbs. but it's hard to hit what you can't catch...if used properly, he could be a great offensive weapon for someone.

Oviedo
01-26-2010, 05:27 PM

I saw Dexter McCluster (I love that name!) a couple of times this season and he is incredibly quick. My only concern would be that he gets broken in half at only 165 lbs. but it's hard to hit what you can't catch...if used properly, he could be a great offensive weapon for someone.

McCluster seems like a younger Stefan Logan

PSU_dropout43
01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Dexter McCluster = mini-Chris Johnson.

Oviedo
01-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Dexter McCluster = mini-Chris Johnson.

The "mini" part is the problem and what makes him nothing like Chris Johnson.

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Senior Bowl Q&A: Dexter McCluster

Dexter McCluster
By Chris Steuber
Scout.com NFL Draft Analyst
Posted Jan 26, 2010

Ole Miss wide receiver Dexter McCluster was an outstanding offensive weapon at the collegiate level, and looks to prove to scouts that he can succeed at the next level. Scout.com's Chris Steuber caught up with McCluster in Mobile. Find out what NFL teams are showing the most interest inside...

Chris Steuber: A lot of people marvel at your ability and the fact that you can handle the physical pounding you receive. But as much as they admire your ability, they have reservations about your chances of making it in the NFL, because of your size. How do you react to those critics?

McCluster was Mr. Everything at Ole Miss, and is now trying to show scouts he translates well to the next level.
AP/Butch Dill

Dexter McCluster: If anything, those critics fuel me to prove them wrong. Thereís no doubt in my mind that I can have success at the next level, just as I did in college. I enjoy proving people wrong.

CS: At 5-foot-8, 165 pounds, you donít have a definitive position at the next level. Where do you see yourself playing?

McCluster: It really doesnít matter to me; slot receiver, punt returner, running back, wherever they need me Iíll be there 110-percent. I want to go out there everyday and show them that Iím tough and I can get the job done.

CS: What aspect of your game are you trying to improve on this week?

McCluster: Pass protection, I want to show scouts my toughness and that I can block those linebackers.

CS: Is it overwhelming at all to have so many NFL scouts in one place, knowing that one bad play or one wrong answer to a question could cost you come April?

McCluster: It hasnít been overwhelming; itís been a lot of fun. Itís good that theyíre coming to me and interviewing me. Itís a great experience, and Iím going to take it for what it is.

CS: I know youíve only been in Mobile for a short time, but Iím sure youíve had a chance to meet with some NFL teams. What teams have you met with and did any team show more interest than another?

McCluster: Iíve talked with a handful of teams so far, but the teams that stick out to me right now are the Buccaneers, Dolphins and Vikings.

CS: Speaking of NFL teams, was there a team that you always wanted to play for growing up?

McCluster: Not really, I never had a favorite NFL team growing up. I just want to make it to the NFL, and whatever team I end up with Iíll be happy.

feltdizz
01-26-2010, 06:45 PM
McCluster will prove people wrong.. he will add muscle and make plays.

I heard Tebow had a terrible first day. Fumbled snaps under center and skipped a few passes. They said one even slipped out of his hands and landed over by his agent and his Dad.

Also making headlines with the abortion commercial for the SB.

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Senior Bowl Day One: Rising & Falling

By Chris Steuber
Scout.com NFL Draft Analyst
Posted Jan 26, 2010

Monday was the first day of practice for the North and South teams in Mobile, and even though they were just wearing shorts and shoulder pads, Scout.com's NFL Draft Analyst Chris Steuber discloses the prospects that are rising and falling after day one.

RISING

Taylor Mays, S, USC

Mays is a lock to be first round selection in April, but nothing is set as to where he will be selected in the opening frame. Measuring in at 6-foot-3, 231 pounds in front of scouts on Monday, Mays looks and plays like a linebacker in the secondary. An intimidating force that looks for the knockout punch on every play, Mays displayed those skills during Mondayís South practice and received rave reviews from scouts in attendance. Maysí physical nature was evident during one-on-one drills, as he mauled the opposition at the line during every sequence. In coverage, Mays was surprisingly patient and had a great sense of timing. Nobody questions Maysí ability; itís his consistency and the lack of impact numbers he posts that concern observers. With a strong week in Mobile and a solid showing the rest of the off-season, Mays will compete to be a top 10 pick in the draft.

Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers

A 5-foot-11, 186-pound physical corner from Rutgers, McCourty has lockdown potential on the outside. During practice, McCourty was fluid in his backpedal, transitioned nicely with receivers and showed good awareness during 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills. He played tough on the line and didnít give much of a cushion on the outside. McCourty is an intriguing player thatís receiving plenty of interest from teams in Mobile. Heís an ascending player at this point, and even though it appears heís likely to be a second round pick, he will receive late first round consideration.

Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho

Blessed with the longest arms at the Senior Bowl (35 inches), Iupati possesses the overall mass and versatility that teams salivate over. Iupati wowed NFL personnel and scouts at the weigh-in on Monday morning and featured an imposing 6-foot-5, 325-pound physique. On the practice field for the North Team, Iupati played with leverage, displayed quick feet and kept the defender at bay during individual drills. Despite starting 34 career games at left guard for Idaho, Iupati has the athleticism, length and strength to move to left tackle. If a team views him as a left tackle during the draft process, Iupatiís stock will go through the roof, and thereís a chance he could end up being a top 20 selection.

Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan

Graham was a huge hit on Monday; scouts that I spoke with at the weigh-in were excited to see him on the field and what he could do off the edge. During individual drills on Monday, Graham dominated Virginia Tech offensive tackle Ed Wang on consecutive instances. He demonstrated a quick first step, a powerful bull rush and a dominant swim move that overwhelmed the overmatched Wang. The 6-foot-1, 263-pound Graham will receive plenty of interest from NFL teams that run a 3-4 defense, and he has a lot of the same qualities that former Wolverines standout and current Pittsburgh Steelers All-Pro LaMarr Woodley possesses. Heís a borderline first round prospect at this time, but could easily move into the 22 Ė 32 range with a strong off-season.

FALLING

Tony Pike, QB, Cincinnati

When you look over the quarterbacks on the North roster, Pike is widely considered to be the highest rated of them all. He may even be the quarterback that translates best to the next level in Mobile. But on Monday, Pike was all over the place with his accuracy, mechanics, touch and velocity. He was quick in his drops, but struggled to set his feet, which resulted in him not throwing tight, accurate passes. It was also surprising that he struggled with intermediate routes; Pike usually connects on crossing patterns. But the biggest concern of all was his lack of touch down field and his inability to drive the ball. He didnít appear confident during the two-hour afternoon session, and it was obvious he has to get his timing down with the receivers. It was just one practice where the players were wearing shorts and shoulder pads, but it was alarming to witness his poor performance.

Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri

The best part of Alexanderís day came during the morning weigh-in on Monday. Alexander showed off a strong, chiseled 6-foot-4, 221-pound frame to scouts, and it appeared everyone who attended was impressed. But later in the day on the practice field, Alexander failed to live up to the hype, after he caught 113 passes for 1,781 yards and 14 touchdowns this past season. Alexander lacked burst during passing drills and dropped three passes. He also struggled with his route running and failed to shield defenders away with his frame. Alexander has a lot of promise and is receiving a lot of attention from scouts. He has to play with greater purpose this week, and show a burst that translates to him being an outside receiver in the NFL.

Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama

From the flabby physique at the weigh-in to the poor conditioning that he showed on the practice field, Monday was a day to forget for Mount Cody. Measuring in at a disappointing 370 pounds, Codyís inability to be an every down player at the next level was apparent, as it appeared that he got winded during the South Teamís practice. Cody lacked burst and didnít uses his hands well during drills. Heís never posted impact numbers during his career and is considered to be just a space eater in a 3-4 defense. It only takes one team to like a player during the draft, but itís hard to justify Cody being anything more than a mid-round selection; a major boom or bust prospect.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2010, 07:29 PM
The Vikings interested in McCluster, eh? I guess when Harvin gets hurt like he seems to every season (or if he has to sit out with migraines like he almost had to this week), they can just plug in Dexter as their do-everything runner/receiver/returner (albeit in a significantly smaller package).

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
The Vikings interested in McCluster, eh? I guess when Harvin gets hurt like he seems to every season (or if he has to sit out with migraines like he almost had to this week), they can just plug in Dexter as their do-everything runner/receiver/returner (albeit in a significantly smaller package).

and no surprise that the Dolphins are also interested, bet he would look good in some of their wildcat packages...

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2010, 07:46 PM
This is a day late, but worth posting:

2010 Senior Bowl Practice Report: Day 1 - South

By Scott Wright of DraftCountdown.com
Jan. 26, 2010

It was 65 degrees and sunny with a cool breeze as the South team took the field at Fairhope Municipal Stadium for their first practice. The Miami Dolphins coaching staff opted to start their squad out in shells today, which is helmets and shoulder pads.

* Of course the guy everyone wanted to see was Florida QB Tim Tebow and all eyes were on the former Heisman Trophy winner as he got his first exposure to a pro-style offense.

Unfortunately all of the reservations people had about Tebow were validated by his performance. Despite reportedly working to shorten his delivery it is still way too long and he also seems to lunge into his throws and almost push the ball. After working in the shotgun his entire college career Tebow struggled mightily with the center / quarterback exchange, fumbling about a half dozen times.

Tebow also had some issues with his accuracy, missing a lot of throws badly. As was the case in college Tebow failed to throw a tight spiral on a consistent basis as well. Now for some positives. Tebow's footwork as he dropped back was much better than I expected it to be and he also showed pretty good touch on his deep throws. We also got a glimpse of those renowned Tebow intangibles as he really took coaching well and was quite vocal in encouraging his teammates. However, all in all it was a very tough day for Tebow and he appears to be every bit of the project most thought he was. On the bright side things can only get better.

* Oklahoma State QB Zac Robinson was the most impressive quarterback on the South team today. Robinson struggled with the deep ball but his intermediate throws were sharp and accurate with tight spirals.

* West Virginia QB Jarrett Brown's drops appeared to be a little choppy but he displayed some elusiveness in the pocket while still keeping his attention downfield.

* Ole Miss' Dexter McCluster is listed as a wide receiver on the roster but he worked as a running back today. McCluster is so small that he basically gets lost amid the offensive linemen but he is very tough and feisty. On one play McCluster was popped by Jamar Chaney but he managed to stay upright and continue running.

* Former U.A.B. quarterback Joe Webb had a pretty good day as he attempts to make the transition to wide receiver. Webb is extremely raw, not very explosive and may not have natural hands but he was extremely physical. Not only did Webb show the ability to get off the line and beat the jam against guys like Taylor Mays and Nate Allen but he did it in a violent fashion. On one rep he simply threw Javier Arenas to the ground and on another he delivered a bona fide headslap to Taylor Mays. Later in the practice Webb drew cheers from the crowd as he beat Patrick Robinson on a deep pass, which may have been the day's biggest play.

* Ole Miss WR Shay Hodge dropped one ball early but overall he had a strong showing. Hodge displayed the ability to snatch the ball out of the air away from his body and also went down to make a nice catch in 7-on-7's.

* Alabama TE Colin Peek dropped a catchable ball in 7-on-7's but then came back a few plays later and redeemed himself with a nice grab.

* Florida WR Riley Cooper had a real hard time getting off the line versus the jam.

* Citadel WR Andre Roberts is very smooth and a polished route runner.

* The best way to describe Mississippi State RB Anthony Dixon is "A Bruiser".

* Nick Saban was on hand at practice and he noted to a fellow observer that Alabama OG Mike Johnson is a "good player".

* Physically USC S Taylor Mays is a man amongst boys. It's shocking how much bigger he is compared to the other defensive backs. He truly does look like a linebacker out on the field. Mays drew a reaction from the crowd when he basically ran right through Andre Roberts on a play in the deep middle.

* It was an up and down day for Florida State CB Patrick Robinson. Early on Robinson was run over by a wideout in a drill due to poor footwork but to his credit he took some coaching and improved. Robinson also dropped an easy interception in 7-on-7's but later came away with a pick against Tim Tebow. It appears as though Robinson does better against faster receivers than he does against big, physical pass catchers. Robinson also broke up multiple passes throughout the day.

* Miami (FL) LB Darryl Sharpton blew up a run play in the backfield in 7-on-7's.

* South Carolina OLB Eric Norwood looked stuff in the hips while backpedaling and changing directions. However, he showed good instincts.

* Alabama CB Javier Arenas isn't real big but he is very feisty and physical at the line.

* Oklahoma State CB Perrish Cox picked off a Jarrett Brown pass along the sideline in 11-on-11's that most likely would have gone to the house.

* After looking extremely impressive at the weigh-in Florida State S Myron Rolle carried that momentum onto the field and had a very good practice. Rolle displayed excellent technique, used his hands well and did a nice job of jamming wideouts at the line. It's still early but Rolle could surprise this week.

* Alabama K Leigh Tiffin missed a couple of very easy kicks near the end of practice. Meanwhile, East Carolina P Matt Dodge was not impressive and a number of his attempts were way too low.

In some ways the talent-laden South team didn't quite live up to the hype in their first practice. There were definitely some good performances but none that made you jump out of your seat. I am sure that will change as the week progresses though.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Here are some notes from yesterday's practice from the North squad instead:

http://www.walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2010practice1.php

2010 Senior Bowl Practice Report: Day 1

By Matt McGuire
Jan. 26, 2010

The NFL Draft gods granted us beautiful weather today in Mobile, Ala. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and there was a nice breeze coming through as draft hopefuls on the North team performed in shells at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

There was a lot of play installation and wishy-washy drills, so I wasn't that serious in scouting since a lot of players were getting their feet wet and settled in, and some drills you just have to take with a grain of salt since they just don't show much. Tuesday is always a better day to judge the talent. Let's get right to it:

When I first walked into Ladd, I headed to the back end zone to watch the punt returners field balls. Mardy Gilyard did a great job focusing and looking the ball in - he looked like a natural out there. "Make sure to judge the wind, Mardy," said a Lions special team coach.

This coach also told the player to cheat a bit to the right so they could come back to the left to make the catch based on the wind direction. I love these little tidbits you get watching an NFL coaching staff.

Jacoby Ford did a consistent job getting under punts, but running back Joique Bell from Wayne State struggled a bit in this department.

After the horn sounded for the next drill, I made my way to the sidelines and caught up with Chris Steuber of Scout.com and we watched the quarterbacks work.

Sean Canfield showed very unimpressive arm strength and really struggled to throw the ball on basic out patterns that he must complete at the next level. One time, the receiver ran a 12-yard out and Canfield had to get a bit of air under the ball to complete it. This throw needs to be a frozen rope and this is a deficiency you just have to doubt a quarterback to overcome at the next level, but I think Canfield has potential as a solid backup in the league.

Gilyard, a receiver I'm not a huge fan of, had a great day so I have to give it to him. He came cleanly out of his breaks and showed very good hands in a 3-cone receiver drill. He did a great job of adjusting to poorly thrown balls and I liked his body control. With Brandon LaFell out, the top senior receiver here is up for grabs and Gilyard is standing up to the pressure in front of scouts.

I thought California CB Syd'Quan Thompson had fluid hips in dropback drills, but we need to see how these translate to live action or if it was just a mirage.

Washington linebacker Donald Butler showed very slow feet in footwork drills, while TCU's Daryl Washington was textbook with his smooth athleticism and movement. Washington is a good technician who plays with a low center of gravity so this doesn't surprise me in the least.

In passing drills ,Tony Pike was awful today, and this is a big platform for him to make a push for the second round. A lot of his balls were wobbly and didn't come out crisp. It go so bad Steuber called him Tony "Bad Ball" Pike. Later on in the practice, Pike had a nice, accurate throw on a go route and did a good job of putting it in the breadbasket of his receiver. Overall Pike really struggled today, but you never want to overanalyze this stuff - there is a difference between a bad practice and a bad week. Sometimes it just isn't your day, but Pike isn't doing much to sway over the big boards of front offices.

During blocking drills, I thought Oregon's Ed Dickson showed good technique and hand use, but this was against a dummy so I'm not getting that excited. Tight ends coach Tim Lappano yelled at Wisconsin's Garrett Graham, "Roll your hips ... that's better!" Lappano got on Dickson later on in the practice for his ball security, "Put it away!"

Jacoby Ford and Danario Alexander showed very inconsistent hands today. These players might be borderline third-round picks so there is no doubt they need to step it up - especially Ford who has intriguing speed and athleticism over the middle.

I wasn't impressed with Ohio receiver Taylor Price today at all in individual receiving drills or 7v7's. He rounds off his routes and struggles getting out of the break. He also had some bad hands, and as a lesser-known player he needs to step it up.

Ohio State's Kurt Coleman struggled to match up in man coverage drills. This just isn't his forte and usually safeties always struggle with this drill. He had bad footwork and balance, but in space he seems to be a better player on tape where he can see the field and react. Nickel is probably out of the question of his skill set, however.

One of the players to watch this week is Rutgers corner Devin McCourty. I think he is presently a late second-round value, but he did an outstanding job today in drills breaking on the ball and showing great instincts. He's a player to watch with the title of No. 1 senior cornerback up in the air.

About an hour into practice, I noticed O'Brien Schofield getting helped off the help and it didn't look good. Unfortunately, Schofield tore his ACL. I don't need to tell you that this is a BIG hit to his draft status. I wish him the best.

Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount ran with authority today in drills (take it with a grain of salt). Surprisingly, no punches were thrown, but I'm not throwing in the towel yet on that prediction. In all seriousness, I don't like how Blount runs with a high pad level so that's something to look for. Non-explosive backs who stay high generally can't pan out in the NFL because they don't maximize power and expose their legs to linebackers.

A player to watch this week is Central Michigan's Dan LeFevour. He was highly impressive showing a solid arm and touch, but later in 11v11's he struggled a little bit. By far he was the most impressive QB out here today.

I watched Michigan State kicker Brett Swenson and I just wasn't that impressed with his leg strength on kickoffs as he struggled to get the ball into the end zone with an average hang.

My defensive MVP for the day has got to be Boise State's Kyle Wilson. In coverage he showed fluid hips and did a great job of locating the football and making plays. He was very physical with his jam and he certainly made the most plays. I like him as a second-round value as a corner/nickel with added value as a return man on special teams.

Wake Forest's Brandon Ghee looked solid. He dominated receivers on deep routes because he can turn and run with anybody here. I want to see how he performs against Clemson's Jacoby Ford who will run in the 4.40 range. Ghee needs to make plays tomorrow if he wants to end up in the late first round.

Defensive tackle Tyson Alualu out of Cal had a very good practice in 11v11's. He was very physical and blew up a couple runs. He checked in at 6-2 at the weigh-in, so now I have serious concerns if he can play 5-technique. He might be a 3-technique only.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2010, 07:49 PM
And then more from the North squad from today:

http://www.walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2010practice2.php

2010 Senior Bowl Practice Report: Day 2 - North

By Matt McGuire
Jan. 27, 2010

Today was another gorgeous day in Mobile. I'm loving this weather and very thankful we don't have too much wind, cold temperatures and rain. The Draft gods are certainly looking out for us this. Let's get to the report:

One player who didn't impress me that much today was UMass offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse. He didn't look like the most fluid athlete and he struggled with his lateral movement in 1v1's. Tyson Alualu stunned him with a rip move then later got under his pads on a bull a little too much for my liking. The scouts and coaches want to see how the small-school guys step up to the big competition and Ducasse isn't living up to the hype at the moment after a great weigh-in.

TCU linebacker Daryl Washington had another great day of practice. He's very athletic with great range and was all over the field on 11v11's. The problem is I think he lacks some versatility as a WILL linebacker only, but can also be a very good producer on special teams early in his career.

Yesterday's MVP, Boise State corner Kyle Wilson, has really stepped up to the plate this week. He is turning and running with receivers, and is very physical with his jam at the line of scrimmage. I have a hard time seeing him go in the first round, but he's solidifying a second-round grade this week.

One player who really impressed me today was Wake Forest's Brandon Ghee. Clemson's Jacoby Ford is the fastest receiver here (sub 4.40 time) and Ghee was step for step with Ford on a go route and had a beautiful pass break-up. These are the same plays I saw on tape. Ghee didn't see many balls thrown his way this past year at Wake Forest, but when given the chance, he made some plays in Tuesday's practice.

Wisconsin tight end Garrett Graham really struggles getting off the jam at 234 pounds. I talked to a couple draftniks who are seriously concerned with his frame. Graham showed good hands at the practice, but he looks like a late-rounder.

Illinois' Mike Hoomanawanui had the block of the day that got the Lions tight ends coach very hyped on the field and drew a gasp from the crowd. He's a very physical player with excellent strength, and I think he would be a great fit for teams like Carolina and Cincinnati that love blocking tight ends.

The receiver who showed some inconsistencies today was Cincinnati's Mardy Gilyard. He struggled to locate the football times and avoided contact. On tape I see he's scared to go over the middle and with his frame (179 pounds) he needs to prove that he plays bigger than he is. Draftniks seem to be torn on him - you love Gilyard or hate him. I personally don't like him very much.

Notre Dame safety Kyle McCarthy will struggle to get drafted in the first five rounds. I love his vocal leadership on the field and toughness, but he really struggles to eliminate space and lacks some serious speed.

From the little I saw of Rutgers' corner Devin McCourty today I was quite impressed. He's starting to win me over, and the thing I like about him is his intriguing, under-the-radar skill set. McCourty is a jack-of-all-trades, master of none but he finds ways to make plays, and receivers have a tough time fooling him when they get out of their breaks.

Idaho's Mike Iupati was very physical in 11v11's, but in 1v1's he was simply on the ground too much for my liking. He'll overextend and play top heavy, but the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced there's no way the Cowboys pass up on him in the first round. He's a prototypical guard for their system. Iupati manhandled Purdue defensive tackle Mike Neal a couple times and made it look easy - and Neal is an impressive specimen.

My favorite defensive tackle here so far is easily Penn State's Jared Odrick. He is very consistent, doesn't take many plays off, and has the best hands of any defensive lineman here. Odrick is very active and I think he can put on another 15 pounds without losing much speed.

Cincinnati's Tony Pike had another poor outing. His accuracy was shaky and he threw a ball that was one of the ugliest passes I've ever seen out of a college quarterback. He put out too much good tape for me to take this week too seriously, but second round is now out of the question because he lacks some serious bulk as a stick figure which will turn a lot of teams off.

Another defensive tackle who is impressing is Louisiana Tech's D'Anthony Smith. He has been playing with some power and nice quickness, and I was really impressed with his build at the weigh-in.

My most favorite coach on the Lions staff is without a doubt is defensive line coach Kris Kocurek. He's giving a lot of good pointers technique-wise, and I love his backwards hat and fiery demeanor.

Michigan's Brandon Graham had a very nice practice today and this is his environment. At the Combine he won't blow your socks off, but when the pads are on, he stands out. Graham is very physical and has some good short area quickness. He made Utah's Zane Beadles eat dirt on a nasty spin move that had the sidelines crowing.

Murray State defensive end Austin Lane made some impressive plays in 11v11's. In pursuit, he showed a good motor and got himself involved. He measured in at a legit 6-6 and he has room to add on some muscle. He's a sleeper to watch out for in the draft process.

One of my favorite tight ends in the 2010 NFL Draft is Oregon's Ed Dickson. He's an average in-line blocker, but he has great ball skills, and showed good athleticism and body control in going up and catching a pass a couple feet over his head on a seam route.

Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon is making me forget about his average senior season. I've been told he has a very outgoing personality, but on the football field his instincts come to life and he is quick to diagnose and react. A big game in the Senior Bowl could guarantee he comes off the board in the top 50 picks.

I can't wait to see Tim Tebow, Taylor Mays and the rest of the South team later on today. Remember to come back to the site tonight for more Senior Bowl coverage live from Mobile!

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 08:00 PM
"My defensive MVP for the day has got to be Boise State's Kyle Wilson. In coverage he showed fluid hips and did a great job of locating the football and making plays. He was very physical with his jam and he certainly made the most plays. I like him as a second-round value as a corner/nickel with added value as a return man on special teams.

Wake Forest's Brandon Ghee looked solid. He dominated receivers on deep routes because he can turn and run with anybody here. I want to see how he performs against Clemson's Jacoby Ford who will run in the 4.40 range. Ghee needs to make plays tomorrow if he wants to end up in the late first round."

I would take either of these two CBs in Round 2.

hawaiiansteel
01-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Tuesday Afternoon: South Practice:

The fans were out in full force to cheer on their local heroes, and it made for a great atmosphere in the stadium.

Offense:
West Virginia quarterback #16 Jarrett Brown has the livest arm in town, throwing a crisp spiral. If he can improve his accuracy, he has potential.

Ole Miss running back #22 Dexter McCluster continued to impress; his sharp route running, explosion, and acceleration all adds up to a game-breaking threat.

Southern California running back #13 Stefon Johnson was polished as a receiver, making sharp cuts. When running the ball, his vision, cut-back ability, and power are all excellent.

Auburn running back #44 Ben Tate is a tough runner but has the speed to turn the corner.

Kentucky fullback #32 John Conner was a new addition to the roster, and introduced himself to the South linebackers with violent blocking.

North Carolina wide receiver #7 Andre Roberts has reliable hands; Roberts has not dropped a ball all week, and has potential as a slot receiver.

Alabama tight end #84 Colin Peek had several nice catches on seam routes. Peek is also an effective blocker and looking like a complete tight end.

West Virginia offensive tackle #69 Selvish Capers was powerful in run blocking but raw in pass protection. Capers has much to learn but also the tools to improve.

LSU offensive tackle #70 Ciron Black had a better day today than yesterday, and was able to protect the passer. Black still was a step slow at times.

Defense:
Georgia defensive tackle #56 Geno Atkins flashed; good hand-play splitting the double team and dominated rushing the passer.

Tennessee defensive tackle #55 Dan Williams played with a high motor and a low center of gravity. He is a solid run stuffer but doesn't offer much rush.

Texas defensive tackle #33 Lamarr Houston was active in run defense, pursuing down the line and getting off blocks with ease. The 4-3 system the coaches run at the game fits his style.

Auburn defensive end #52 Antonio Coleman was chippy and aggressive. Coleman can get overwhelmed at point of attack but showed up big-time in pass rush situations.

Texas linebacker #38 Roddrick Muckelroy has quick feet and can cover backs and ends with ease: possible nickel backer.

Kentucky cornerback #32 Trevard Lindley was athletic and showed he can run. Lindley needs to add weight to his frame without losing speed to become a complete prospect.

South Florida cornerback #5 Nate Allen was aggressive jamming the receivers and looks natural in man coverage.

Florida State safety #4 Myron Rolle looked free of rust from his year away from the game. Rolle can change directions with ease and deliver big hits.

Chadman
01-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Keep an eye on this guy as we get closer to Pro-Days, Combine etc.

He IS a Steeler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE0opl1EilI

hawaiiansteel
01-27-2010, 12:02 AM

He IS a Steeler.

he certainly has the size the Steelers like in their CBs, do we already have this guy though in Keenan Lewis?

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2010, 10:26 AM

He IS a Steeler.

Who are you talking about? (I am unable to view YouTube videos here at work)

Chadman
01-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Sorry Ruthless...

http://media.scout.com/media/image/60/608580.jpg

Myron Lewis Scouting Report
Projected Draft Position
by FFToolbox Writers
Raul Colon's 1/25 Mock Draft Not selected
Ricky Dimon's 1/18 Mock Draft Not selected
Randall Weida's 1/12 Mock Draft Not selected
Joel Welser's 1/11 Mock Draft Not selected
Forrest N. Long's 1/11 Mock Draft Not selected
Ben Standig's 1/4 Mock Draft Not selected
FFToolbox User Mock Drafts
1% used Myron Lewis in their first round mock.
The teams most often chosen were:
MIA (25%), NE (13%), MIN (13%), NO (13%) Position: CB
School & Year/Status: Vanderbilt - Senior
Jersey Number: #5
Height & Weight: 6'2 - 205 lbs.
Ranked #85 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person
Myron Lewis, CB, Vanderbilt
Lewis has two things really going for him as he heads into the 2010 NFL Draft: size and experience. The cornerback played in 10 games as a true freshman at Vanderbilt in 2006 before stepping into a starting role. He started all 12 games as a sophomore, all 13 games as a junior, and all eight as of the three-quarter point of his senior campaign. Lewis had five interceptions and five sacks in 2008, and he picked off three passes through the first eight games of 2009. He has imposing size for a defensive back at 6-2 and 205 pounds, so it's hard for offenses to find a mismatch against him.
Of course, Lewis sacrifices just a bit of speed as a result of his physical stature. He runs around a 4.5 in the 40-yard dash, but he can sometimes be beat deep down the field by faster receivers. Lewis needs to become even more physical at the next level and more effective at jamming receivers inside five yards of the line of scrimmage. He cannot let them get a full head of steam right off the ball, thus being able to exploit his weaknesses. Durability is not much of an issue for Lewis, although he missed spring practice prior to his senior year due to a shoulder problem. The Commodore should be able to provide immediate value to an NFL team, probably as a backup at both cornerback and free safety early in his career (possibly even in specific match-ups with very tall receivers). Lewis looks like he will be a third round pick in April's draft, but an improved 40 time at the combine could bump him into round two.

http://vucommodores.cstv.com/sports/m-f ... ron00.html (http://vucommodores.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/lewis_myron00.html)

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingR ... -Lewis.php (http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/CB/Myron-Lewis.php)

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Ta, mate. :mrgreen:

Chadman
01-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Also, while the board has a love-fest with Iupati, Chadman saw this from Pat Kirwan..

Matt Tennant, C, Boston College
Tennant may be a bit undersized but he has a very competive side to him and the balance to win. He reminds me of former B.C. center Tom Nalen, who came to the Senior Bowl and impressed coaches the same way Tennant is doing. He handled the nose tackles he went against on Monday and came back again Tuesday with another solid practice. Tennant will be a key guy in a draft class very weak at the center position.

Just a little note, how's this for a list of drafted OL from Boston College over the last 15 years..

2008- 1st Round- Gosder Cherilus- Starter Lions
2007- 3rd Round OT James Marten- Back-up LT Bears
2007- 4th Round OG Josh Beekman- Back-Up OG Bears
2006- 2nd Round OT Jeremy Trueblood- Starter RT Buccaneers
2004- 2nd Round OG Chris Snee- Starter RG Giants
2003- 5th Round OC Dan Koppen- Starter OC Patriots
2002- 1st Round OT Marc Columbo- Starter Cowboys
2001- 7th Round OG Paul Zukauskas- Out of League.
2000- 6th Round OG Darnell Alford- Out of League
1999- 1st Round OC Damien Woody- Starter OG NY Jets
1996- 1st Round Pete Kendall- Retired, long career starter.
1994- 7th Round OC Tom Nalen- Retired, Long Career Starter & Pro Bowls
1993- 4th Round OG Ron Stone- Retired, Long Career Starter & Pro Bowls

That's not a bad hit rate for success. Boston College knows how to develop OL...

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Nalen was undersized just like Tennant is. Nalen was great in the Broncos scheme which used smaller, quicker lineman. Tennant would fit with teams like the Broncos or Texans (or maybe the Redskins if Shanahan brings that scheme with him to Washington). Teams that prefer beefier linemen, like the Cowboys or Eagles, wouldn't be interested. For us, I think Pouncey is a better fit than Tennant if you are looking for a center in round 2.

NJ-STEELER
01-28-2010, 03:53 PM
is 290 lbs really undersized?
mangold was 300 lbs at the same point coming out of school.

i'm much more worried about the strength to go up against those bigger DLs. looking at lists of top center's in the league, there are a bunnch around that listed 300 lbs. mark give or take 5-15 lbs

i dont see a problem gainig 10-15 lbs with the maturing from a 21-22 yr old college athlete to the pro regimen

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2010, 04:38 PM
is 290 lbs really undersized?
mangold was 300 lbs at the same point coming out of school.

i'm much more worried about the strength to go up against those bigger DLs. looking at lists of top center's in the league, there are a bunnch around that listed 300 lbs. mark give or take 5-15 lbs

i dont see a problem gainig 10-15 lbs with the maturing from a 21-22 yr old college athlete to the pro regimen

Going head-to-head against Shaun Rogers, Kelly Gregg, and Domata Peko twice per year, I would prefer that my center already has that beef (like Florida's Maurkice Pouncey, who is listed at 6'5" 318 lbs.). We already know that Pouncey can play at that size. We are not sure if Tennant's frame is able to hold the extra weight, and if so, will he be as effective at a different weight?

NJ-STEELER
01-28-2010, 06:07 PM
i'll def take pouncey over him. is 18 too high? is our 2nd rer too low?

IMO definately need a OC prospect.

from another trhead

....Matt Tennant, Boston College
Tennant is probably the best center here. At 6-foot-4 and 290 pounds, Tennant is the "runt" of the offensive linemen, but he had no trouble handling North Carolina's 331-pound Cam Thomas. He went 1-1 against Cal's 291-pound fire hydrant, Tyson Alualu. ....